Jogging in the cold.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Keepcalm

Jogging in the cold.

Post by Keepcalm » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 am

I have heard both sides of it and wanted to ask the runners on here what the verdict is on running in colder weather and if its healthy or not.

It is 18* out right now.

Thanks.

dekecarver

Re: Jogging in the cold.

Post by dekecarver » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 am

I walk ~3 miles just about every morning (5am) and eve (afterwork). No issues during winter when temp is 10-20 F. Its all about what you wear and the big factor for double digit cold, is wearing a throat gaiter and cap. No effect on joints etc.. My pace is a ~15 minutes/mile.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 am

I didn't have any problems during our recent cold spell. I think it was 45 one morning. :twisted:

Really the biggest dangers are literal exposure (dress appropriately, don't start with the wind and then turn around into the wind when you have to get home sweaty and suddenly colder) and slipping (watch out for ice). Your lungs won't freeze, you won't catch a cold. You may fatigue faster because you use energy to stay warm which increases lactate sooner. What distances are you talking about? Iditarod dogs get microscopic changes in their lungs.

And this is kind of interesting:
Time-Dependent Effects of Acute Exercise on University Students' Cognitive Performance in Temperate and Cold Environments.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=28747896

Abel Archer

Post by Abel Archer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 am

I live in New England and run throughout the winter regardless of temperature, as do many people in my running club. Some will switch to treadmills if the wind chill gets too low, say below zero, but there are a good number of "purists" that run outside regardless.

The two mantras commonly repeated during the winter are “There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing”, and "If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done." It really comes down to personal preference, but as long as you dress warmly you're fine to run in the cold.

PS- You should think about running instead of jogging; joggers get hit by cars or assaulted, runners win races. :wink:

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:08 am

Midwesterner here, and there is not a real lower limit. Layers and layers for cold. I don't do anything special for snowy and icy ground conditions except slow down a bit.

Last week one day i wore two hats for the first time. It was about 5F out. It worked a little too good, I got pretty hot.

One laughable thing to me over the years, is how many layers I wear everywhere...except my feet. Now matter the temp, it is just thin running socks and normal running shoes.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 am

It 100% depends on the individual. I know people who do it with no problems, but I never could run in the cold consistently without regretting it for one reason or another. I run on a track at a gym in the winter.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:34 am

It's not so much temperature but wind that gets you. I'll go running as cold as zero degrees or a bit lower if there's not much wind. Finding a way to cover your face while you can still breathe easily is the key. Personally I think running in the morning is good for you - clears the crap out of your sinuses.

If it's a bad wind chill, sometimes I'll just bundle up and go for a long walk instead. It's never too cold for that.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

reimann

Post by reimann » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:16 am

There is no lower limit. Run at OF all the time (and snowbike too BTW but that's a separate issue)
The actual problem is the tendency to OVERdress, sweat, then get chilly.
You want to start out a little cold and warm up.
One thing I've found is a buff/neck warmer that I pull up over the sides of my face. Glasses are good too to protect the eyeballs from the air.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes"

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 am

I live in the northern part of NH, so it's colder here, but I run all winter provided the temp. is over 5 degrees. I wear a neck gator when it's windy and or below 20 degrees. Most of the time a thermal top and wind pants, gloves and a hat will do. I also wear ice grippers on my running shoes as everything is ice most of the winter. My wife and I have a gym membership, but running on a treadmill doesn't cut it for me, so I use the gym for the pool and weights.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 am

I do not know what "both sides" of this issue means.
Jogging on icy roads or sidewalks is more dangerous than the cold itself. Jogging in the dark at each end of the day due to less sunlight hours is more dangerous.
The cold. That is not dangerous.
How cold do you think is too cold to jog?
Not one reply so far has said jogging in the cold is bad or dangerous.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 am

I've been overheated skiing uphill with climbing skins in -10F weather. There's no lower limit for jogging in the cold, just increased clothing requirements. I don't really see why it would be inherently bad for you- clothing such as a balaclava can also help warm up the air going into your lungs. I suppose if you were jogging in winter in Antarctica, you'd pretty much need a spacesuit though :mrgreen: At some point, the clothing requirements to stay warm would make jogging tough.

On the other hand, I do have an upper limit for jogging in the heat for a sustained period of time- especially in high humidity. I find a humid 95 to be my absolute physical limit for a run of 3-4 miles, and 90 to be the most with a reasonable degree of comfort or for prolonged (10+ mile) runs. In a dry heat, there's a lot more leeway. I've gotten heat exhaustion before- it's not pretty.
Last edited by alfaspider on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 am

nativenewenglander wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 am
I also wear ice grippers on my running shoes as everything is ice most of the winter
I've never owned "ice grippers" - is there a particular brand or style you would recommend?

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

Upper Midwest USA

I find it tolerable to 10-F.

Ice is a real risk, also addressed above. I run in a large Church parking lot. It's well lit, well salted, and typically empty when I run. Each "lap" is 0.5 miles.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 am

Kahtoola microspikes.

These are the best. Been using them for years. You can run across a skating rink. Don't bother with the nano spike version.
We use ours primarily for hiking icy front range trails in CO. Lots of melt, refreeze situations, uphill and downhill. Once you use them you can never go back.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am

As a non-jogger, former bike racer...... While you may do fine out there, be very aware of ice on the road and cars heading for you. An avid runner friend was hit by a car while he was running one morning on a narrow commuter road on a corner. When it's 10 degrees outside, drivers may not be expecting some militant runner out there getting miles in. Sure, they should be attentive, but they won't be. Expecting they'll be looking out for you as a priority to typing in LOL to a text is asking to be hit.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 am

My rule is need about 30 Deg F for running ...50 deg F for biking

Northster

Post by Northster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am

I ran six miles a day for many years in Minnesota winters with no difficulty. I agree the key is a good nylon jacket to counter the wind. I found a turtleneck shirt was helpful in very cold conditions. On my hands I often wore a couple of old running socks -- great for wiping a drippy nose.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

I run 6 or 8 miles every day. When it gets cold, I wear a long sleeve top from the beginning to the end of my run. If it's REALLY cold. I might start out with a compression base layer and a light fleece full-zip top, tights, and full socks, but I'll usually shed the top and tie it around my waist after I warm up. If it's raining, I'll either put on an Event shell or just skip a day.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:36 am

I cross country ski in the cold. Lower temperature sort of comes with the territory there and none of thousands of people doing it seem to have a problem given proper clothing, which would not be much different between a runner and a skier. Last time I was out it was around -2F. My only mistake was not wearing a face mask and getting worried about frostbite in the wind. Skiers might have a higher average energy output than do joggers, but that is an individual variable. You can ski at any rate from serious running to strolling on a path. Skiers are more likely to be hill climbing but jogging could include hill running. That affects layering and figuring out how not to overheat while still keeping fingers, face, and toes warm.

I can't address footwear and ice hazard as I don't and wouldn't run on snow and ice. Skis, of course, have their own hazards.

Bud

Post by Bud » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:27 am

I actually enjoyed the cold and jogged in weather that was down to -10 F. It just depends on layers and pace. I would rather go out in zero degree weather than 40 F and rain :(

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 am

I haven't had any issues. The coldest I ran was in 12 degrees.

I usually go with a bunch of light layers.

2 form fitting dri-fit shirts with a light sweatshirt over the top, stocking hat, form fitting tights with wind pants over and gloves.

My only issue is that in colder weather I am more prone to pull a muscle and find it takes more time for my body to recover after the run (rather than stretching outside before the run, I stretch inside where it is warm and then run immediately out the door).

I have done the running in snow thing, never again, fell hard, luckily I didn't hurt anything. It isn't the snow that is bad, it is what is underneath that you can't see.

Now I live in AZ and bundle up when it is below 50 :)

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am

No cardiac troubles, right? Getting cold like that can increase afterload quite a bit. Add in exertion...

Lots of snow shoveling MIs around the country.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 am

Northern runner here. I generally avoid temps below zero, especially if there is wind. Unless you have some kind of mask, the cold air is rough on the lungs below 15 degrees. I get an ashma like cough if I dont have a mask. I also keep the runs short and close to home in case something goes wrong.

Keys for me include:
- windproof underwear or pants
- windproof running jacket
- running snowshoes (so much fun)
- trail shoes for better grip & water resistant
- gaitors
- mittens

If the ground gets really icy and slick I hear people screwing some screws into their shoes or wearing yak tracks. I personally just get out the snowshoes.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm

One issue is where you jog. If you turn an ankle or some unknown force dumps a garbage can of water over you, can you get to a place of safety and call an Uber? Most urban or suburban areas this is not an issue, but I've lived in rural areas where it is.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Exercise should be fun. If it involves braving the cold and it's not enjoyable, Plan B should kick in -- using a treadmill, running in place on a mat, riding an exercise bike or some other form of indoor exercise.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Keepcalm wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 am
I have heard both sides of it and wanted to ask the runners on here what the verdict is on running in colder weather and if its healthy or not.

It is 18* out right now.

Thanks.
I ran 20 miles when it was 13 degrees out back in January. My hands were in pretty rough shape for a while even with two pairs of gloves on, but overall it was like a normal run (just with more layers).

I had my face covered for the first few miles, but the balaclava was freezing so I pulled it down. The icicles on my eyelashes were annoying too, but overall it was a good experience.

From now on, if temps drop below 20 I get a pair of "Hot Hands" to stuff into my gloves.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am
When it's 10 degrees outside, drivers may not be expecting some militant runner out there getting miles in. Sure, they should be attentive, but they won't be. Expecting they'll be looking out for you as a priority to typing in LOL to a text is asking to be hit.
Add to that that the runner's eyes may be watering because of the cold and they're too busy blinking to see the car heading their way.

Although that's never happened to me, I once drove through a red light that I didn't see because I was sneezing. Inattention can make people miss split-second event changes whether they're running or driving.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm

For 25 years, I ran 4 miles a day during the winter in upstate NY. My coldest day was minus 20 degrees F.(no wind, thank God). My coldest wind chill has been about minus 35 when the wind was gusting (calculated by latest NWS chart). Never had a problem breathing. Always wore fluorescent orange jacket, reflective shoes, and reflective wrist bands at night. A couple of falls, worst result was large bruises and wounded pride. Never trust any driver no matter what the season or whether day/night.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Exercise should be fun. If it involves a treadmill and it's not enjoyable, Plan A should kick in -- using fleece, snowshows, getting those Nokian Hakkapeliittas or some other way to get outdoors.

I'm not really disagreeing with azurekep, it's very much a matter of personal taste.

reimann

Post by reimann » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Recommend screw shoes for winter running. Works great and is really cheap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7637m8hXuW0

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

I have no problem running in teens or below. As somebody mentioned, I'd be way more cautious for ice and other injury-causing objects.

I do find it absolutely ridiculous that people run in 95+ heat, with heat indices over 110. I've never heard of a "cold stroke", but I've known people who had heat strokes and heat exhaustion.

Happy running (or jogging) to you!

Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Running at -10 F is fine but you shouldn't cross-country ski unless the temperature is above freezing.

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Keepcalm wrote:

It is 18* out right now.

Thanks.
I do 5 miles a day. Rain, snow, cold, hot. Bring it
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm

You lost me at "jogging,"

Didn't know people still use that term.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Drivers have snow and ice on their windshield. Slippery roads for cars and you. It's dark in the evening.
Other than that, the cold doesn't bother me unless it's below about 10 (unless it's sunny and no wind).
An outdoor school track is ideal. Trails can be slippery and packed down but are good after a fresh snowfall.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Rainier wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm
You lost me at "jogging,"

Didn't know people still use that term.
Hey, whatever gets one off the couch is a good thing.

I noticed a few other posters mentioned neck gaiters. Far and away the number one piece of gear for me in the cold. Great for modulating temp and gives easy flexibility when tunrning and the wind impacts differently. Yank it up, yank it down. Turn it around when it gets wet from your breath. Any time the temperature is below 30F the gaiter goes with me, at least in the pocket just in case.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 pm

For me, it depends on the sun and wind. If the sun is shining, and the wind is calm, I will run outside even if the temperature is in the teens. But if it is cloudy, windy, and cold, forget about it.

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 am
I also wear ice grippers on my running shoes as everything is ice most of the winter
I've never owned "ice grippers" - is there a particular brand or style you would recommend?
Spiking an old pair of running shoes is the way to go. Buy a box of hexagonal head sheet metal screws for a few dollars and screw them into the shoes. They are cheap to make and super effective. Boglehead worthy!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/whyrun.word ... shoes/amp/

I’m a year round runner. For winter running, the trick is layering up appropriately for conditions. In the really cold weather, I’ll wear long underwear, then a pair of pajama bottoms, followed by a pair of running pants. Two or three long sleeve tops (outer layer fleece) with a nylon shell for an outer layer takes care of the trunk. If it’s nasty cold I’ll use a face warmer plus the usual touque and mittens. Lately I’ve started wearing plastic bags between my socks and running shoes for wind protection on the bad days. I trail run generally only use the spiked shoes if it’s really icy— unspiked shoes suffice for most snowy conditions. 10-15 minutes into my run, I’m invariably unzipping layers to prevent overheating (even on the coldest days).
Last edited by BC_Doc on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 am
This is the kind I have.
They work very well.
They are made from stainless steel, so no rusting.
Over times they wear down, but it takes years.
I paid less than $60
https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Spikes-855 ... B0030I3Y48

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm

Keepcalm wrote:

It is 18* out right now.

Thanks.
18 degrees is fine. Somewhere around -15 or so is when you start having issues with it being too cold. Up until then it is just a matter of putting on the right (not to much or little) amount of clothing.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm
I have no problem running in teens or below. As somebody mentioned, I'd be way more cautious for ice and other injury-causing objects.

I do find it absolutely ridiculous that people run in 95+ heat, with heat indices over 110. I've never heard of a "cold stroke", but I've known people who had heat strokes and heat exhaustion.

Happy running (or jogging) to you!
I have never heard of "heat bite" either but "frost bite" is definitely an issue. :) You can do workouts in pretty much any conditions but you need to be smart about it and make modifications to adjust to the situation.

GraduateStudent

Post by GraduateStudent » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm

I hate running when it's above about 50 F. Way too hot :) Running below that is fine with the appropriate clothes.
Life after grad school is great.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 pm

GraduateStudent wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm
I hate running when it's above about 50 F. Way too hot :) Running below that is fine with the appropriate clothes.
Have you tried running in -10 degree weather?:) It is amazing how much colder that is than single digits which are fine after the first 10 mins or so when your warm up. At -10 pretty much any exposed skin starts getting irritated in a hurry. That was the only run I can think of where I cut it short after 20 mins because it was too damm cold(body and core were fine but face and fingers were suffering). Maybe more clothes would have helped but balancing sweating and not freezing is difficult and where I live we rarely see temperatures that low.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 am

randomguy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 pm
GraduateStudent wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm
Have you tried running in -10 degree weather?:) It is amazing how much colder that is than single digits which are fine after the first 10 mins or so when your warm up. At -10 pretty much any exposed skin starts getting irritated in a hurry. That was the only run I can think of where I cut it short after 20 mins because it was too damm cold(body and core were fine but face and fingers were suffering). Maybe more clothes would have helped but balancing sweating and not freezing is difficult and where I live we rarely see temperatures that low.
I was reading an article about frostbite that 0F is about the temperature at which water with salt concentration similar to body composition freezes. That means there is a real physical difference between above 0 and below 0 temperatures for exposed body parts.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 pm
This is the kind I have.
They work very well.
I paid less than $60
Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 am
Kahtoola microspikes.

These are the best. Been using them for years. You can run across a skating rink. Don't bother with the nano spike version.
Wow, just looking at these on Amazon it looks like they'd be very uncomfortable if you were NOT on ice - when I run in winter I have a course that is half on-road (no ice) and half in a Trustees of Reservation area that is soil and some ice. Would these work for that kind of run?

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am

Abel Archer wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 am
I live in New England and run throughout the winter regardless of temperature, as do many people in my running club. Some will switch to treadmills if the wind chill gets too low, say below zero, but there are a good number of "purists" that run outside regardless.

The two mantras commonly repeated during the winter are “There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing”, and "If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done." It really comes down to personal preference, but as long as you dress warmly you're fine to run in the cold.

PS- You should think about running instead of jogging; joggers get hit by cars or assaulted, runners win races. :wink:
apparently, they also get insulted :twisted:
Act soon... time is running out

GraduateStudent

Post by GraduateStudent » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:56 am

randomguy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 pm
Have you tried running in -10 degree weather?:) It is amazing how much colder that is than single digits which are fine after the first 10 mins or so when your warm up. At -10 pretty much any exposed skin starts getting irritated in a hurry...
I have! Last weekend it was 0F (not -10), but my weekend long run felt balmy for all practical purposes.

But Jesus is it horrible here in the summer (80 F+ !)
Maybe more clothes would have helped but balancing sweating and not freezing is difficult and where I live we rarely see temperatures that low.
Yeah that's the hard part. For -10F I would do balaclava plus hat that covers the ears, insulated running tights, windpants if its windy, a few long sleeve t shirts under a big ultra lightweight wind jacket, heavy socks, normal running gloves, overmitts (to take off later).

Even when its that cold, the hardest part is the fact that you do warm up eventually! Then what do you do with all the extra clothes that you don't want anymore ?!? Could loop back to home. Or could put it in pockets.
Life after grad school is great.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

GraduateStudent wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:56 am
Even when its that cold, the hardest part is the fact that you do warm up eventually! Then what do you do with all the extra clothes that you don't want anymore ?!? Could loop back to home. Or could put it in pockets.
Put on your clothes. Putter in the kitchen for a few minutes. Go up and down the stairs a few times. Just before you break a sweat leave the house, you are already warm and probably as important your clothes are warm.

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Avid runner here. Live in MN and I run 12 mo a year. My cut off is ~ -10 deg windchill to use a treadmill. I ran this morning at -5 deg windchill with the following gear.

Safety - first of all you need lights if you run prior to dawn or after sundown. I wear a headlamp, wrist lights, and reflective gear.

Head - Wear a runners mask/balaclava and winter cap. I typically use a hood from a runners jacket over the mask/cap to provide 3 layers between my head and outside.
http://trainfora5k.com/best-balaclava-for-running/
https://www.runnersworld.com/winter-run ... nning-hats

Upper - get a good base, intermediate, and outer layer. I use a combination like this:
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens- ... 265650-100
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens- ... 271851-574
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/outru ... 304579-016

Lowers - get a good stretch/mesh short, long base layer, and pair of running pants.
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens- ... 289566-410
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-re ... 298838-408
https://www.nike.com/t/therma-essential ... nts-jjDKBr

Shoes/socks - no change in what I typically wear (shoes/socks)

Hands - arguably the most important component of outdoor winter running gear is a good set of gloves. Cold, numb, and tingling hands sucks.
https://www.runnersworld.com/gloves/best-running-gloves

If running on groomed trails consider something like this to improve your grip.
https://yaktrax.implus.com

Enjoy your jogging and don't let old man winter deter your efforts.

Ryan
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 pm
This is the kind I have.
They work very well.
I paid less than $60
Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 am
Kahtoola microspikes.

Wow, just looking at these on Amazon it looks like they'd be very uncomfortable if you were NOT on ice - when I run in winter I have a course that is half on-road (no ice) and half in a Trustees of Reservation area that is soil and some ice. Would these work for that kind of run?
I run with these on paved roads and sidewalks, but I live northern White Mountains of NH ,so the the snow doesn't melt much. There's always ice on the edge of the road and sidewalks. It snows almost everyday here, most residents wear ice cleats running or walking.