My Mac Pro has gotten gigantically slow online: meltdown $ spectre?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

My Mac Pro has gotten gigantically slow online: meltdown $ spectre?

Post by CULater » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 pm

Over the last couple weeks or so, my MacBook Pro has become painfully slow on the internet. I can't understand because it's always been really quick. I've downloaded and installed several security fixes for Sierra OS, assuming for the meltdown and spectre security flaws in the CPU. Could this be responsible for hobbling my Mac? Wondering if others have been experiencing this recently.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

nordsteve

Re: My Mac Pro has gotten gigantically slow online: meltdown $ spectre?

Post by nordsteve » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Any possibility your wifi access point is going bad?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Google internet speed test. Could be your provider. If it's your Apple computer, it might be planned obsolescence time :x

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 pm

What I'd do.... reboot everything in a controlled way:

Step one: Turn OFF every computer/smart phone/tablet/smart tv etc in the house, then restart just the cable/DSL modem, wait a bit, the restart the lan router/access point, wait, then restart the Mac Pro.

Step two: Test speed of Mac (google speed test, download a decent size file from a web site, tracert, ping, etc)

Step three: Turn on other stuff, testing speed on the Mac as you do.

See if you learn anything....

If that doesn't help... call ISP tech support... have them speed test your line.

If that doesn't help... take it to the genius bar
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 pm

A few things to try:

Internet speed test -- fast.com, speedtest.net. These should be close to the numbers your ISP quotes for your up/down speed.

Have you rebooted your modem/router?

Which browser are you using? I've noticed that Safari is exceptionally slow on websites that have HTTPS. Try Chrome/Firefox instead, though these also have their downsides.

Try another WiFi network -- a friend, Starbucks, etc.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:22 am

How does your Mac connect to the internet? Wired or wireless? First thing I would do is connect a different device to the internet using the same method and see if the problem resides in the Mac or in the modem or router or internet service.

My Mac is up-to-date and I haven't noticed anything similar to what you are describing, at least not recently.

gretah

Post by gretah » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 am

Malware could be doing nasty things to your computer and taking speed down.

I've had that happen to my Mac, twice.

Take the computer into the shop ASAP. Last time, I had to replace the hard drive.

Good thing I backed up to flash drive and DropBox frequently.

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 am

Reboot router (unplug for 2 minutes) if that doesn't help call 1 800 MYAPPLE. I have had issues with my MacBook Pro and Apple has helped solve the problem every time.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 pm
Over the last couple weeks or so, my MacBook Pro has become painfully slow on the internet. I can't understand because it's always been really quick. I've downloaded and installed several security fixes for Sierra OS, assuming for the meltdown and spectre security flaws in the CPU. Could this be responsible for hobbling my Mac? Wondering if others have been experiencing this recently.
Sounds like an internet issue more than computer hardware. Modem, router, ISP. What year is your MBP?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Safari, for some ungodly reason, has a really bad habit of consuming ungodly amounts of RAM. If you have a lot of applications with big RAM footprints open, Mac OS X might decide to put some of Safari's memory into virtual memory, causing disk swapping and ungodly slow performance. At least take a quick peak with Activity Monitor.

The symptoms for me used to be Mac slowing down, disk seek noises speeding up, painfully slow response on bringing up "Force Quit," and rapid return to normal once Safari has been force quit.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm

First thing to do for any performance problem is run Activity Monitor and check CPU use. Is some process using a lot of CPU time? Look for the percentage use, not the total. Next look at memory use and swap space. Finally look for free disk space: if you're out of room that will slow everything down.

Is it slow for everything, or only online things?

mountain-lion

Post by mountain-lion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

It is unlikely that the spectre and meltdown mitigations are the culprit. They will make things slower, but not this slow, and not across the board. The performance penalties are highly workload specific, and not everything you do on your machine will have the same workload.

How full is your disk? If it is getting very full (like more than 95% full), then that can cause broad slowdowns (for complicated reasons). Try freeing up space.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 pm

It could be malware in your account on the Mac Pro. To test that, create a 2nd admin account. Logout of the first account, reboot, and login to the new 2nd account. See if that makes things better.

I also suggest downloading a different browser, to see if the problem is specific to your primary browser.

The tips from others regarding Speedtest, rebooting router, checking disk space, are all good.

Did you make any significant configuration changes recently? Switching to an alternate DNS provider (such as openDNS) could cause a performance change.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm

gretah wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 am

Take the computer into the shop ASAP. Last time, I had to replace the hard drive.
Experts had to replace the hard drive because of malicious software? Why?

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:09 am

Without information as to what model, year, specs, etc. it's hard to give advice. Forgive me if this is too basic for you, but it would be where I would start if you brought the machine in to me.
I've found a lot of Mac users don't know how to close programs. Next to the Apple menu, top left, <Program->Quit Program. COMMAND-TAB until all programs are closed except Finder. Apple Menu->Shut Down. With the power adapter connected, press and hold the SHIFT-CONTROL-OPTION keys, then press and release the Power button. Then release all keys. This will reset the SMC (System Management Controller). Next, press and hold the OPTION-COMMAND-R-P keys, while you press and release the power button. Hold the other buttons down, the computer should eventually make the startup chime. Continue holding the keys down until it chimes a second time, then release all the keys and let it boot to the desktop. Check for operation. These will probably not fix the problem; if not, shut down again. Try booting to the Apple servers, using one of the key combos from this page:
https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article ... ns-for-mac
Run the diagnostics if possible. Run Disk Utility, First Aid. Some menus may give you the option to "Get Help", which will let you browse the internet. This should give you some idea of what your connection is like. Try starting in Safe Mode.
The other suggestions offered seem valid as well. I hope this assists you in resolving the problem. I recently replaced the hard drive in a 2012 Macbook Pro, installed High Sierra on it, and it ran well enough to be quite usable, just as a reference point.
It could very well be malware, malware bytes for mac from malwarebytes.com is a good program.

Fogler

Post by Fogler » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:02 pm

I have same problem with my 2012 pro! Not super slow but lot slower than before latest updates.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:13 am

gd wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm
gretah wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 am

Experts had to replace the hard drive because of malicious software? Why?
Possibly something like this:
To complicate things further, firmware checks and reprogramming rely on firmware itself, so it's not possible to verify firmware integrity or reliably reupload firmware on a computer. In other words, once infected, hard drive firmware is indetectable and almost indestructible. It's easier and cheaper to ditch a suspect drive and buy a new one.
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/equation ... ware/7623/

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 am

First thing I'd do is to take it to local coffee shop or a friend's house and see if it runs better, worse or the same connected to a different network.

Assuming it runs at same super slow speed when connected to a different network next thing to check is disk space to see if it is maxed out. Then totally clear out your browser's cache, cookies, history, stored data, etc. Might also make sense to load and try a different browser - if you are using Safari, try Chrome or maybe Firefox, - easy to find, install and use.

Assuming disk and browser are OK, there are several other possibilities to look at from that point per suggestions already posted. Computers only change performance when something about the machine or its network has changed, can you think back to what happened at the time your machine first slowed down.

If you don't feel confident with more intensive trouble shooting and have access to an Apple store make an appointment for some help at a local store.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 am

CULater,

Where did you go? Have any of the suggestions helped? I did not read them all and this may have been mentioned, but adding RAM, for less than $100 online, has improved the overall speed of our 2011 and 2012 MBPs. The RAM is easy to install, but you need a really small screwdriver. Good luck.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks to all the posters. There is a wealth of information here. I have had some personal things to take care of and haven't had much time to start stepping through the various suggestions that have been kindly provided. I will do that and post back the results. The Mac is only about a year old and has a 256G solid state hard drive. It has always been very quick until recently, so I don't know what has changed.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing