Comcast vs DirecTV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sixtyforty

Comcast vs DirecTV

Post by sixtyforty »

So we are looking at moving from Comcast to DirectTV. I've run the numbers and it looks like we can reduce our monthly expense with DirectTV as well as gain features like taping shows etc, which we don't have with Comcast. Anyone make the switch and like it ? Or visa-versa ?

Also, for any of you that have DirectTV, it looks like they may have to drill a hole at the base of our house for installation. Should I be concerned about a hole being drilled into our house to run the cable ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
bloom2708

Re: Comcast vs DirecTV

Post by bloom2708 »

Are you on a 1 year or 2 year "teaser" rate plan with DirecTV?

Costco typically offers nice incentives to switch. It usually involves a 1 year rate a 2nd year rate and then a return to "normal" prices.

Normal prices are where you likely won't be saving any money. You still need internet from your cable provider or other.

Installation isn't too bad. They need to run a 2 coax cable in. The hole will just be sealed with caulk/adhesive. Much depends on where the cable junction box is inside the house and how hard it is to get a new line there. The DVR is pretty good. Where they nail you a bit is on the 3,4,5th TVs.

If you have 1 or 2 TVs, then your solution feels pretty simple. If you have 5, then a second Main box/DVR is often needed or your multiple streams may be used up.

Expect a honeymoon period followed by the desire to switch again. Locking into the 2 years feels like a car lease. We went from DirecTV to Playtation Vue with Amazon Fire TV/Sticks. Internet only from the cable company. No contract and a quite good package. No coax cables running and a more simple wifi solution.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Should I be concerned about a hole being drilled into our house to run the cable ?

More than one hole, they need a few to mount the dish and a penetration for the cable(s).

Done right, there is no problem. Done wrong, minor leaks.

(I just removed my unused dish).

If you have an HOA, check into any location restrictions.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

My brother switches back and forth every two years. Need to decide if the savings is worth the hassle. As others have mentioned, you will have a dish attached to your house. The dish installation will depend on your geographical location relative to the satellite.
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:09 pm Are you on a 1 year or 2 year "teaser" rate plan with DirecTV?

Costco typically offers nice incentives to switch. It usually involves a 1 year rate a 2nd year rate and then a return to "normal" prices.

Normal prices are where you likely won't be saving any money. You still need internet from your cable provider or other.

Installation isn't too bad. They need to run a 2 coax cable in. The hole will just be sealed with caulk/adhesive. Much depends on where the cable junction box is inside the house and how hard it is to get a new line there. The DVR is pretty good. Where they nail you a bit is on the 3,4,5th TVs.

If you have 1 or 2 TVs, then your solution feels pretty simple. If you have 5, then a second Main box/DVR is often needed or your multiple streams may be used up.

Expect a honeymoon period followed by the desire to switch again. Locking into the 2 years feels like a car lease. We went from DirecTV to Playtation Vue with Amazon Fire TV/Sticks. Internet only from the cable company. No contract and a quite good package. No coax cables running and a more simple wifi solution.
This has pretty much been my experience. Had Comcast for a few years then switched to DirecTV for a few years. Then got tired of high prices and switching companies. Both are fine, just too expensive compared to all of the other streaming options now available, without contract. Now have Playstation Vue for "cable" channels and antenna for local channels.

No concern about a hole drilled into the house for cable, as long as it's sealed properly. This coax now serves as our antenna feed to the entire house. And dish mounting bracket holds the antenna.
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

I have Spectrum and Dish at my main house. (7 TVs, had to get cable for 5 of them) Total cost $380 per month for Cable, Dish and internet
I have Xfinity for my lake home in Michigan. Cost for Internet and TV is $180 per month

But my internet with Xfinity is amazingly fast. Never gives trouble. Plus when I go out of town, my phone finds Xfinity hotspots and automatically logs me in to wifi. I wish we had Xfinity where our main home is.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

You might look at DIRECTV now, which is the new streaming version. You won't have to get the dish, just check on local channel availability
tryterry

Post by tryterry »

If you are okay with being tracked, check out YouTube TV. No monthly contract, $35 / month
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

DirecTV is generally much better at customer service vs cable. The good news is there are a lot of promotionals with DirecTV and if you work on it you can get discounts, whereas Cable is pretty fixed. The bad news is you have to keep going back and begging/pestering for discounts, and occasionally cancelling or switching to get the best discounts. It gets old.

If you have ATT wireless you get some good bundling discounts.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

you don't need a dish on your roof if you go satellite; you can order the dish installed on a pole in your yard. i would never put a dish on the roof for several reasons.

i tried directtv now (streaming) but i was never able to watch a basketball game without buffering and freezing so i cancelled it after several months. i do not have this issue when watching espn3 (streaming) thru roku.