Is LinkedIn premium worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Colorado13

Is LinkedIn premium worth it?

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 am

I have a LinkedIn profile and occasionally (but not frequently) receive solicitations from head hunters. I'm seeking a new job and wondering if Bogleheads recommend LinkedIn premium for job leads? Is it worth the cost? Does it *really* provide value to job seekers beyond the non-premium version?

metrunt

Re: Is LinkedIn premium worth it?

Post by metrunt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 am

LinkedIn is a scam. Yes, you should have a profile, and yes, you should mine your connections for references, but that's it.

If you're really looking for a job, read Nick Corcodilos https://www.asktheheadhunter.com/basics

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am

metrunt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 am
LinkedIn is a scam. Yes, you should have a profile, and yes, you should mine your connections for references, but that's it.

If you're really looking for a job, read Nick Corcodilos https://www.asktheheadhunter.com/basics
People who are constantly looking for a job (I know people like that) and headhunters use LinkedIn Premium. Otherwise I would just have an up-to-date profile that is well-written and consistent with your resume.

This Nick Corcodilos site is just another scam unto itself.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:49 am

metrunt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 am

Few co-workers have gotten jobs through LinkedIn including my former manager. Seems worth more that just for references.

I can't personally comment on the value of premium version though. I believe you can try it for free?

metrunt

Post by metrunt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am
People who are constantly looking for a job (I know people like that) and headhunters use LinkedIn Premium.
That people who are constantly looking for a job use LinkedIn Premium is a mark against it, right? Otherwise they would have a job they're happy with?

I run a business and have 75 employees. I would never use head hunters or LinkedIn or Monster or any of that crap. Head hunters are a huge scam.

As an employer, what that blogger Corcodilos says makes a lot of sense to me.

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 pm

LinkedIn has sure become a cesspool of noise. It can be useful as a resource but there's usually a lot of garbage to sift through, especially as your network grows.

While I would disagree on its face with the comment above about headhunters being a "huge scam," there are certainly plenty out there that contribute to their often unflattering reputation. I've had my share of experiences with them on all three sides of the coin.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:28 pm

No, huge waste of money.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:31 pm

I’ve used premium a few times when heavy in the job search. It does allow you to reach out to people you are connected to some limited number of times, and gives you some visibility to see who is looking at your file etc. I do think there is value in linked in. I am not sure the premium is worth it.

Crazy_Aussie

Post by Crazy_Aussie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:34 pm

I used LinkedIn Premium for maybe about a year across 2014 and 2015 while I was looking for a new job.

I believe it gave me better access to automated job search, and the identity/profiles of anyone looking at my profile.
Might have also let me search profiles more extensively - so I could find companies that employed people with my 'specialty', so I could target those companies to submit resume/applications.

My theory was I could cancel at anytime if I felt it wasn't useful.
The cost may be deductible as a job-finding expense? Can't remember offhand what my accountant said about that.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm

metrunt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm
Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am
People who are constantly looking for a job (I know people like that) and headhunters use LinkedIn Premium.
That people who are constantly looking for a job use LinkedIn Premium is a mark against it, right? Otherwise they would have a job they're happy with?

I run a business and have 75 employees. I would never use head hunters or LinkedIn or Monster or any of that crap. Head hunters are a huge scam.

As an employer, what that blogger Corcodilos says makes a lot of sense to me.
Go try to compete for talent in the Bay Area or NYC or similar without an internal recruiting team and let me know how that works out for you.

jackbandito

Post by jackbandito » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 pm

I'd say no since I have it and haven't felt like it makes a difference. If you are a Vet, you can actually get a premium account for free for 1 year. https://linkedinforgood.linkedin.com/pr ... remiumform

metrunt

Post by metrunt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm
Go try to compete for talent in the Bay Area or NYC or similar without an internal recruiting team and let me know how that works out for you.
My business is based in NYC and we do have an internal recruiting team. Not sure what you're trying to say. I'm not saying a company or a candidate doesn't have to work hard to fill positions. I am saying LinkedIn and other resume farms are [hogwash --admin LadyGeek].

Our team knows that talent comes from referrals, from personal connections, and from a variety of schools, trade organizations, and conferences. Managers hire. HR simply makes sure the paperwork is in order.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 pm

I have never felt a need for it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm going to postpone activating LinkedIn premium for now and continue my job search for other avenues.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 am
I have a LinkedIn profile and occasionally (but not frequently) receive solicitations from head hunters. I'm seeking a new job and wondering if Bogleheads recommend LinkedIn premium for job leads? Is it worth the cost? Does it *really* provide value to job seekers beyond the non-premium version?
Put your professional information out there. If you are good, you’re resume will speak for itself. I can’t stop head hunters from bothering me. What industry are you in? I work in aerospace / rocket science. I will happily send theses folks your way.

Cheers!

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 am

metrunt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 pm
NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm
My business is based in NYC and we do have an internal recruiting team. Not sure what you're trying to say. I'm not saying a company or a candidate doesn't have to work hard to fill positions. I am saying LinkedIn and other resume farms are [hogwash --admin LadyGeek].

Our team knows that talent comes from referrals, from personal connections, and from a variety of schools, trade organizations, and conferences. Managers hire. HR simply makes sure the paperwork is in order.
You're saying a few different things here...

1) I would never use head hunters

2) I have an internal recruiting team
a) talent comes from referrals, connections, etc
b) managers hire, HR makes certain paperwork is in order

I now assume by "head hunters" you mean external recruiting agencies... though, in a real world competitive landscape (which you're apparently not in, and you're def not in tech) your team of internal recruiters would be "head hunters" themselves - sourcing passive talent (using tools such as LinkedIn, github, stackoverflow, etc)

I would love to see the breakdown of your source of hire. Of course, internal/employee referrals are always the best source of hire. What % of hires at 500+ employee companies do you think are employee referrals, though?

I'm almost positive you don't have a REAL internal recruiting team - especially considering you say "managers hire, HR does paperwork" - no recruiter is keeping a job full of paperwork. Matter of fact recruiters actually almost never do paperwork... we have HR for that... ;)

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:44 am

Colorado13 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 pm
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm going to postpone activating LinkedIn premium for now and continue my job search for other avenues.
You should absolutely use LI to navigate your job search... However,

You can see who has posted jobs that you're interested in, connect with them, and reach out to them about the job. Further, you can connect with just about anyone you want to - including a small note in your invitation to connect, and then once connected have free reign messaging wise.

... You can do all of this without a premium membership and all for free :)

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 am
Put your professional information out there.
Contrarian view here, although I work in high-tech in an expanding market (life sciences supplier FWIW).

I've worked with recruiters for the past 20 years that I've been on the commercial side (was a customer before), and LinkedIn has revolutionized it. I have found the recruiters are indispensible for both leads as well as for career advice, and you need to ask around to find out which recruiters are worthwhile, and talk to them.

Joined LinkedIn Premium now for the past six months, and it was for the video training. Do you want high quality, video training on-demand that is specific for your specialty? For emerging fields (I'm in marketing, so digital marketing / content marketing / social marketing is a major trend) how will you get the training you need? I recently had to brush up on my Salesforce skills, and found that LI training was better than SF.com's.

I've not really used the 'InMail' feature that much (not much need to 'cold-call'), and if you do not have many 1st-order connections, start getting busy with reaching out to people. (You of course do not need Premium for that.) You have a work history, and many people you have known IRL (="In Real Life"), from your former coworkers, direct reports and managers, to senior people. And then there's friends and social circles, etc etc. It may seem frivolous to have >500 connections, but at '500+' (LI doesn't indicate how many more) sends a signal. Heck Premium sends a signal. And recruiters now use LI just about exclusively.

[Here's a link](https://www.bakadesuyo.com/2010/03/the- ... ing-a-job/) to get you started on old fashioned networking.

A personal story: I was laid off for the first time in my life last summer. and it was unexpected. Prior company was generous with severance; I was already unhappy there and was actively looking for six months before that, but nothing really clicked. A week into the full-time job hunt, a 'weak connection' over LinkedIn asked me to join for coffee, and an offer was in hand a week later. I had no idea my current employer even existed, and the connection found out that I was 'in the market' over... LinkedIn.

Yes in the meantime I spoke with many recruiters, and did the job board thing, and you never know exactly how your next situation will come about. What's the loss for expanding your the LinkedIn connections? See where it can take you from there. And Premium IMHO is icing on the cake - you can get valuable training as well as signal that you are serious about the next opportunity.

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 pm

I am a premium member for access to the training videos offered. The training is well done and has been very helpful! Other than that, I wouldn't bother with Premium. I received just as many pings from recruiters without it. The advantage of being able to send Inmail hasn't been necessary--I usually find a way to connect with the person I am targeting and then can contact them directly.

You get what you put in with LinkedIn. If you are job hunting -- make sure your profile is complete, well written and has keywords that recruiters search. If you are in sales and looking for customers--become an active participant in the groups appropriate for your industry. Post and write articles. At my company, this has led to good business connections for our sales staff (as well as recruiters trying to steal them away).
What, Me Worry? --Alfred E. Neuman