Substitute for taking a shower?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Theseus

Substitute for taking a shower?

Post by Theseus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 am

Alright. Don't laugh. This is a serious question.

Bunch of us guys going to Cape Town for a golf trip. It turns out (Murhphy's law) there is a major draught and water is being limited to 13 gallons per person per day (voluntary limit as of today). We are going to add to their troubles by going there but we are looking to minimize the impact. We are planning to carry as much drinking water as we are allowed in our checked in luggage.

However showers are going to be an issue. 9 rounds in 6 days is going to make us all stinky. I am looking for recommendations for good quality body wipes that can be used in lieu of taking a full on shower. I have used baby wipes for my long trekking trips. I have also googled, amazoned about this.

But I respect BHs more than anything else online so st this point I am interested in personal experience and recommendation of specifics regarding what options we might have.

Also, if there are any other suggestions in such a situation please pass along.

P.S. We have no way to cancel it since it was planned 8 months in advance and everyone is flying from different locations and some from countries.

ThriftyPhD

Re: Substitute for taking a shower?

Post by ThriftyPhD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:43 am

Wipes would work between showers and let you go longer between. Also consider showering differently. Quick rinse, turn the water off. Soap up. Turn the water on and rinse off. Showers are typically 2 gallons per minute or less. If you can rinse in 1-2 minutes, you're not using much of your 13 gallons. Most of the wasted water when people shower is that they leave the water running while soaping up, shampooing, etc.

Toilets might be a bigger impact. 1.2-1.6 gallons per flush adds up. Consider the 'if it's yellow let it mellow' rule of thumb.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:45 am

When I am in the Philippines, I often use the "tabo" method of taking a shower since many places have limited water because it must be hauled in weekly. It is essentially a dipper that you use in conjunction with a water pump or a bucket of water. I use one to wet myself down and then apply the soap and shampoo. I then generally use one dipper to rinse my hair out and one for the remainder of the soap. All told I use about a gallon per shower and get just as clean as I would here in the U.S. with a regular shower.

Here is a video showing the "tabo" method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIlKetfuVQ

Edited to add another video showing an actual demonstration and though the person uses quite a bit more water than I do, still he probably only uses about two gallons worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHPvmraUBs
Last edited by lthenderson on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

Soap and lather before rinse focus on "hot spots" armpits and croch.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am

I use baby wipes with rubbing alcohol poured into the container in situations like that. You will probably be in a situation where you can use as many as you want but if not, use one for the hands and then use the same one on the feet, one on the face and then the same one on your crotch, etc.

You ask for specific recommendations but any of the major brands are fine and you can trust the hundreds or thousands of customer ratings on Amazon for each of the major brands. They are all about the same size, 12x8. Just don't get cheap ones because the material is thin and if you get ones made for babies instead of adults look for unscented unless you want to smell like baby powder.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to use little water and a washcloth to bath yourself instead.

You could also take a "Navy shower" using just a few gallons of water. Wet, wash with a soapy washcloth, rinse.

Don't be surprised if a swimming pool is open and available to you despite the drought.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

I think you'll be fine. Maybe it's because I'm coming up on my 26th year of active duty Army time with tons of time in the field, but 13 gallons per person per day is a lot of water! For everything. I can't imagine using more than 5 gallons a day to tell you the truth.

Just heat some water in two small pots(one to rinse with) and take bird baths with a wash cloth/soap and augment with baby wipes from time to time. Collect the used water to flush the toilet or use public restrooms.

Hurricanes and blizzards would occasionally knock out power for significant amounts of time when I was a kid too. We would "bath" with soap in the salt water and then jump in a fresh water pond to rinse the salt off.

vtjon

Post by vtjon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am

There were these wipes on Shark Tank the other night called "Shower Pill". It looks like they are available on Amazon. I have no idea as to the quality but I think they got a deal on the show!

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 am

vtjon wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am
There were these wipes on Shark Tank the other night called "Shower Pill". It looks like they are available on Amazon. I have no idea as to the quality but I think they got a deal on the show!
Lots of "hipster" (i.e., gimmicky & expensive) wipes have come on the market lately. They are made by the same factories that make all the standard wipes. Different scent, different marketing, different price.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am

I really like Oil of Olay facial wipes for this. The sensitive skin ones have no fragrance. Wet, wipe, rinse, wipe.

A better alternative for genuine stink: wipe body with wet cloth, rub baking soda all over, rinse the cloth and wipe off the baking soda.

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am

When are you going? April or may? If so might be an issue.

If not you should be fine. Take a two minute shower and you’ll be clean and minimize water use. I’m there now and this is the advice for now. Follow the advice as it is the locals who will be left after you fly home.

Agggm

Post by Agggm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 am

Theseus wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 am

Bunch of us guys going to Cape Town for a golf trip. It turns out (Murhphy's law) there is a major draught and water is being limited to 13 gallons per person per day (voluntary limit as of today). We are going to add to their troubles by going there but we are looking to minimize the impact. We are planning to carry as much drinking water as we are allowed in our checked in luggage.

However showers are going to be an issue. 9 rounds in 6 days is going to make us all stinky. I am looking for recommendations for good quality body wipes that can be used in lieu of taking a full on shower. I have used baby wipes for my long trekking trips. I have also googled, amazoned about this.

But I respect BHs more than anything else online so st this point I am interested in personal experience and recommendation of specifics regarding what options we might have.

P.S. We have no way to cancel it since it was planned 8 months in advance and everyone is flying from different locations and some from countries.
When I was in the army we used baby wipes while in the field.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am

They make foaming baby wipes for bathing infants without submerging them. Check the baby aisle at your local Target or Walmart.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:45 am
When I am in the Philippines, I often use the "tabo" method of taking a shower since many places have limited water because it must be hauled in weekly. It is essentially a dipper that you use in conjunction with a water pump or a bucket of water. I use one to wet myself down and then apply the soap and shampoo. I then generally use one dipper to rinse my hair out and one for the remainder of the soap. All told I use about a gallon per shower and get just as clean as I would here in the U.S. with a regular shower.

Here is a video showing the "tabo" method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIlKetfuVQ

Edited to add another video showing an actual demonstration and though the person uses quite a bit more water than I do, still he probably only uses about two gallons worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHPvmraUBs
+1

This method works very well. We live in the country with a private well that became contaminated due to a rapid snow melt off. Until the problem passed, which lasted ~2 weeks, we had to resort to hauling all water. Bathing as suggested above....I used maybe 2-3 gallons each time. It's not quite as convenient as jumping in the shower but works quite well.

Good luck.........have fun :sharebeer

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am

Use a 3-4 gallon bucket and mug for a bath - a significant part of world population does this and you will be clean. Shower wastes at least 40-50 gallons.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 am

There was a comment (now deleted) about the incredible amount of water golf courses use. You might ask when they turn the sprinklers on and take an outdoor shower at that time. :beer

scfr

Post by scfr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 am

You can purchase packets of wipes that are used in the medical / elder care communities. They are bath substitutes. Some of them can be microwaved for warmth. I purchased a case for my mom to use when recovering post-surgery (could not shower). They came with very specific instructions about which wipe to use on which part of the body and in what order, to avoid any cross-contamination. I bought a case on Costco.com, but I don't think they sell them any more. I'm sure you could find something like that somewhere else (Amazon, drug store, etc). Enjoy your trip.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am
Use a 3-4 gallon bucket and mug for a bath - a significant part of world population does this and you will be clean. Shower wastes at least 40-50 gallons.
Only if you have the shower running for 'at least' 20-25 minutes. In the US at least, the federally mandated maximum flow rate is 2.5 gallons per minute, and most showers are much less to that due to clogged heads, low pressure, or extra water saving devices.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am

scfr wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 am
You can purchase packets of wipes that are used in the medical / elder care communities. They are bath substitutes. Some of them can be microwaved for warmth. I purchased a case for my mom to use when recovering post-surgery (could not shower). They came with very specific instructions about which wipe to use on which part of the body and in what order, to avoid any cross-contamination. I bought a case on Costco.com, but I don't think they sell them any more. I'm sure you could find something like that somewhere else (Amazon, drug store, etc). Enjoy your trip.
Yes. These are so much better than baby wipes for this purpose. We use them at a camp that has no running water. Got the idea originally from watching a relative who could no longer easily be bathed or showered do to a disability.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am

Katietsu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am
scfr wrote:
Yes. These are so much better than baby wipes for this purpose. We use them at a camp that has no running water. Got the idea originally from watching a relative who could no longer easily be bathed or showered do to a disability.
What's the name of these things? Thanks.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

metacritic wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am
When are you going? April or may? If so might be an issue.

If not you should be fine. Take a two minute shower and you’ll be clean and minimize water use. I’m there now and this is the advice for now. Follow the advice as it is the locals who will be left after you fly home.
Thank you. We are going to be there in about two weeks or so. We are going to try to minimize the impact an that's why I am researching all this ahead of time. I am sure for locals the last thing they want is some water hungry tourists showing up.

What is the situation with drinking water? Is it available easily?

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 pm

scfr wrote:
Thank you. This seems like a good solution as it probably is made for medical care purpose. Do you know any specific name (or the category)? I will google and search on amazon as well.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Check Out Nathan Power Shower,,
Amazon :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 pm

I imagine that this is obvious to you already, but for that length of trip there is absolutely no need for anyone to wash their hair, which should cut down on shower times. Americans tend to shampoo way too often. Have fun!

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm

+1 baby wipes

tp_from_ks

Post by tp_from_ks » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:38 pm

I hoped this would be commercialized, healthy bacteria spray that gets rid of odors:

https://www.npr.org/2015/10/10/44745140 ... h-bacteria

1st world problems - solved

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Capetown depends on tourism and at least at the better hotels, water is still available. They have, however, shut their pools. If you're golfing at a ritzy course, there will be water for showers. As someone who has spent a lot of time in remote places in Africa, there's always a way and an oasis in the middle of nowhere. For places that can pay, they truck in the water. I know that in some hotels they have been putting a bucket in the shower to catch the cold water before it becomes hot so you can use it later. Even under the restrictions, 13 gallons will go a long way. Take a quick shower.

Otherwise, if you're expecting to stay in a place with no water, bring baby wipes, deoderant, cologne, and plenty of changes of clothes. Wear breathable clothing.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Last year after I mowed the lawn in summer I used the garden hose with cold water while standing on the lawn in shorts, and that went very fast. I believe I do not use more than 3 gallons of that ice-cold water. They can do it at the golf club.

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't have personal experience but thanks for the question. Makes me think about how to reduce water consumption. Which indirectly helps everyone by decreasing demand on water. I've read that turning on water only to wet and rinse is more efficient. And read about ocean rinsing. Good luck!

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Jmo
You won't be the nicest smelling dudes whether you cleanse your self or not. Some one will always smell better. Stay the course and do what the natives do :? :( :confused
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:53 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am
Katietsu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am
scfr wrote:
What's the name of these things? Thanks.
I just found several by searching for:
bath washclothes wipes

I think the last ones I used were Comfort brand. They were not particularly good or bad.

dubsem

Post by dubsem » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Dry shampoo is a possibility so you avoid washing your hair.
G.O.O.D.

Feb29

Post by Feb29 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:15 pm

There is a specific product available as a shower substitute. My wife used them after surgeries when showers weren't allowed. And both of us use them now on camping trips on days when we don't shower. Two products we've got from REI are: No Rinse Bathing Wipes or Wilderness Wipes (8 thick cloths for $3.75). Walmart also has an equivalent product.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm
Jmo
You won't be the nicest smelling dudes whether you cleanse your self or not. Some one will always smell better. Stay the course and do what the natives do :? :( :confused
Drink their wine.

scfr

Post by scfr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Theseus wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 pm
scfr wrote:
Thank you. This seems like a good solution as it probably is made for medical care purpose. Do you know any specific name (or the category)? I will google and search on amazon as well.
I'm sorry that I don't remember the brand of the wipes I bought (they were whatever Costco was selling), but here is something similar to what we used.
1 pack = 1 bath

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/no-ri ... 98-product

alex11

Post by alex11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Step 1: Get in the Shower
Step 2: Wash cycle on for 30 seconds
Step 3: Turn the water off
Step 4: Lather up
Step 5: Turn the rinse cycle on for 30 seconds

1.25-2.5 gallons used, based on shower head.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Any Gym Memberships available?

Elena

Post by Elena » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:27 pm

¿Have you considered using a sponge? (not the nylon ones, but one that soaks water in). With a sponge, you can actually use every drop of water, versus a short shower, where most of it goes straight from the shower head to the drain. I would at least try the sponge for the hotspots (underarms, etc.) with mild soap and a bit of water in the sink, several times a day. Cheap and effective. Wipes are not very eco-friendly, cheap, or effective.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 pm

The substitute is: Don't get to Cape Town for a golf trip, go elsewhere where you can take a shower. 8-)
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

mt

Post by mt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 pm

+1 for the No Rinse Bathing Wipes from REI. I have used them on 10 day raft trips in Alaska and always feel refreshed after using them.

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 pm

I am just really relieved, based on the title, that this isn’t another Bogleheads frugality idea :)

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 pm

A gallon of hot soapy water in a sink/tub with a wash cloth will clean everything on you that needs to be cleaned.

Start with your hair and face, and work your way down. If it's cold out, keep a big towel handy to dry or wrap the area immediately.

Then rinse out the wash cloth, and fill the sink with hot rinse water. Work your way down again, drying as you go along if it's cold outside.

I've done this many times while camping and living in an RV. Not as nice as a shower, but it gets the job done!
BH87

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Look at https://sephora.com/yuni?ref=13732848 for body products.

Dry shampoo for your hair

For your feet, a powder called On Your Toes is miraculous.

ram

Post by ram » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 pm

I have travelled on a budget in Asia when I was young.
Take a 10 litre (3 gallon) bucket of water and a 0.5 litre (16 oz) mug. 4 mugs to get yourself all wet. Lather from top to bottom. Pour remaining water on the head 1 mug at a time and rinse yourself top to bottom. When all water has drained from the foot, pour the next mug on your head. Rinse :happy and repeat.

People who have to carry water on their head for a mile or more do not use more than 1.5 gallons of water to take a bath.
Ram

gretah

Post by gretah » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:12 pm

alex11 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 pm
Step 1: Get in the Shower
Step 2: Wash cycle on for 30 seconds
Step 3: Turn the water off
Step 4: Lather up
Step 5: Turn the rinse cycle on for 30 seconds
In California, this is called a Wave Shower. Works great.

As others have said, you can take a sponge shower. I prefer washcloths then follow up with Purell on torso and hot spots. You could duck into the club house and use the paper towels and soap for hot spot and torso baths with Purell afterward. Put a small bottle of Purell in the golf bag.

If I wanted to take wipes with me, I'd take Hefty Wipes instead. Cloth, so they can be used over and over. Thin yet strong, not like paper towels or wipes. Find them in the supermarket - aisle with the sponges, brushes, etc.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Rubbing alcohol goes a long way

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 am

Theseus wrote:

Pretend you're on a submarine. I bet those guys could get 4 or 5 showers out of 13 gallons. Wikipedia says 3 gallons per shower. You could do that 4 times a day and still drink a gallon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 am

I use a high flow "rain" shower head that absolutely drenches me. It's probably worth something on the black market. You should definitely save water so we balance out.

newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 am

Use a small towel (i.e. Hand towel) and a small bucket to take 1 to 2 gallon of water. Use towel to transfer water to wet your body, apply soap then use the towel to help you take water from bucket to clean away the soap. Dry up. Done.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:28 am

I notice nowadays at the gym few people use the showers. They mainly just wear some hybrid workout/casual clothes, come in, work out, toss on a jacket or something and leave.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:54 am

Shower quickly every other day OR every third day.

Don't have the sheets and towels changed every day either. See if you can make it through the trip with the original set you are given. The hotel laundry won't have to be used so much, if you do that.
Theseus wrote:
We are planning to carry as much drinking water as we are allowed in our checked in luggage.
To board a plane, your water bottles have to be less than 3.4oz, but you could carry empty plastic bottles with you and put water in when you land. I wouldn't fill them at the airport after going through security as I would be afraid they would leak if the bags get squished or they get punctured by something in your suitcase.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... quids-rule
Last edited by celia on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.