A power bank for a MacBook Air?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

A power bank for a MacBook Air?

Post by Barefootgirl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I need to keep a backup battery on hand for my MacBook Air - 4 year old laptop.

None of the Anker power banks will work with it due to the USB-c issue, so I looked on the Apple website and there are power banks there, but they only discuss usage with the iPhone or iPad.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced power bank compatible with the Macbook Air? thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

TallBoy29er

Re: A power bank for a MacBook Air?

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Not sure which power adapter you have (magsafe, magsafe 2)? Or what is reasonably priced. Chargers such as this exist:

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hype ... or-macbook

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm
I need to keep a backup battery on hand for my MacBook Air - 4 year old laptop.

None of the Anker power banks will work with it due to the USB-c issue, so I looked on the Apple website and there are power banks there, but they only discuss usage with the iPhone or iPad.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced power bank compatible with the Macbook Air? thanks
The problem with charging non-USB-C Macbook's is, Apple does not let anybody to make a Magsafe compatible connector. I'd check the powerbanks with AC outputs. There's omnicharge pro, but it's $300 (https://www.omnicharge.co/)

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 am

Could you be more specific what you want to accomplish? Since the Air has a non-removable battery, you can't really keep a backup battery on hand.
I presume what you want is to extend the potential runtime of the laptop in the event of a...power failure? Emergency?
How much run time do you have now? How much do you need? Have you looked into ways of conserving battery life with the laptop running on battery? I believe you can buy a Magsafe adapter that will plug into an auto lighter. Would that work for you?
I have a UPS at work that will power my 21" iMac for...I think it claims over half an hour. I would think it would power a Magsafe charger for much longer. It offers a "real" sine wave, I doubt a laptop charger requires that. It cost just about $100. I suspect a UPS is the best solution to your problem, but perhaps you might do better to use the $100 towards an iPad or Chromebook that you could keep fully-charged as a backup.
If you want something to tide you over in an emergency, I think you have options. If you are looking for something to carry around in your purse to give you additional runtime...I don't know. The suggestion from the other poster looks reasonable.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Would replacing a the battery (from Apple) be a better long term solution? ($129)?

Blue Man