Tips on Buying a Class-B RV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Emilyjane

Re: Tips on Buying a Class-B RV

Post by Emilyjane » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Woodspinner,

Happy travels!
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 pm

All,

Well the deed is done. The order is! Paperwork signed! Deposit paid!

Lead time should be about 3 months!

Still a bit nervous about the decision—it’s a pricey piece of machinery.

Next big question — Are the extended warranties for th MB Sprinter chasis or the PLeasure-Way build/appliances worth it?

The dealership didn’t even bring it up—expect a discussion when we pick up the RV and want to be prepared.

So the waiting begins .....

WoodSpinner :) :D :?: :oops: :)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 pm
All,

Well the deed is done. The order is! Paperwork signed! Deposit paid!

Lead time should be about 3 months!

Still a bit nervous about the decision—it’s a pricey piece of machinery.

Next big question — Are the extended warranties for th MB Sprinter chasis or the PLeasure-Way build/appliances worth it?

The dealership didn’t even bring it up—expect a discussion when we pick up the RV and want to be prepared.

So the waiting begins .....

WoodSpinner :) :D :?: :oops: :)
Congratulations!
:sharebeer

I live in an area of McMansions (not mine) and quite a few neighbors were constantly chasing down warranties on things going wrong with their RV's. Each component in an RV has it's own warranty. I hear it mentioned that, unlike a car or truck where the dealer is responsible for the whole vehicle and everything in it. Also, that some dealers were better than others about follow up care.
j :D

mkc

Post by mkc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Congrats! Lots to look forward to!

We have been RVers for 18 years and are on our third. We started with a Ford E450-based class C (Lazy Daze, one of the best quality), then a Foretravel diesel pusher (again, one of the best quality) and owned that coach, a 40-footer, for 12 years. Last year we bought a Leisure Travel Vans Unity, and it was almost a toss-up between it and a PleasureWay XL. Ultimately, it was the floorplan that sold us on the LTV (we have a 24CB) since it gave us a similar livability to the FT in a small package. Both LTV and PW are the top of the Sprinter-based class C quality. We went that direction because we 1) didn't want a wet bath and 2) travel with dogs so the big sliding side door was too risky with them when camped. We LOVE our LTV!

If you're not already familiar, Sprinter Source is going to be one of your best resources for Sprinter-based RV discussion. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70 for the PW-specific board.

Michelle

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:57 am

Here is a possibility for me if I decide to get some sort of RV: https://www.modvans.com
Best Wishes, | Joe

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 am

OP here,

Thought I would give everyone a quick update ...

We ordered a NEW Plateau FL from the dealer and were able to customize the options (PleasureWay doesn’t have many) and negotiate a price we were comfortable with. Having a sure sale gave the dealer more flexibility and less risk so they cut some of their margins. Put 10% down, rest on delivery.

Picked up our RV last week and have been busy checking all the systems, loading it up, organizing, and implementing all of the plans we came up with while waiting. Only issue so far is a single loose screw lying on the fan screen, everything else is working well—so far!

Chose the Plateau FL because of the floor plan and Pleasureway because of their build quality and reputation.

Planning a series of short trial trips to get to know the systems, travel quirks and what we really need to carry.

Biggest surprises cost-wise:
- CA taxes and DMV fees ! Made me seriously consider a South Dakota LLC.
- Amazon spending on all of the storage solutions, gadgets, gizmos and bright ideas!
- Adding a spare tire carrier and tire! Wasn’t comfortable with Roadside Assistance and a small compressor with some tire-goop.

Positive surprises:
- DW and I are having a ball reading, dreaming, planning and outfitting the RV. A few “opportunities” to improve marital communications as well.
- Great network of RV people and knowledge on Facebook
- Gave me something to focus on besides the market!!!
- Personal satisfaction at buying this cool toy for cash — 42 years of working and saving!
- Look on the Finance Managers face when I repeated, “This will be a CASH purchase”

Time to hit the road and explore. Will be years before we really know if this was a folly or a great investment in our happiness!

Thanks for the great advice

WoodSpinner

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am

OP here,

We ordered a NEW Plateau FL from the dealer and were able to customize the options (PleasureWay doesn’t have many) and negotiate a price we were comfortable with. Having a sure sale gave the dealer more flexibility and less risk so they cut some of their margins. Put 10% down, rest on delivery.

Picked up our RV last week and have been busy checking all the systems, loading it up, organizing, and implementing all of the plans we came up with while waiting. Only issue so far is a single loose screw lying on the fan screen, everything else is working well—so far!

Chose the Plateau FL because of the floor plan and Pleasureway because of their build quality and reputation.

Planning a series of short trial trips to get to know the systems, travel quirks and what we really need to carry.

- Amazon spending on all of the storage solutions, gadgets, gizmos and bright ideas!
- Adding a spare tire carrier and tire! Wasn’t comfortable with Roadside Assistance and a small compressor with some tire-goop.

Positive surprises:
- DW and I are having a ball reading, dreaming, planning and outfitting the RV. A few “opportunities” to improve marital communications as well.
- Personal satisfaction at buying this cool toy for cash — 42 years of working and saving!
- Look on the Finance Managers face when I repeated, “This will be a CASH purchase”

Time to hit the road and explore. Will be years before we really know if this was a folly or a great investment in our happiness!

WoodSpinner

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am

OP here,

We ordered a NEW Plateau FL from the dealer and were able to customize the options (PleasureWay doesn’t have many) and negotiate a price we were comfortable with. Having a sure sale gave the dealer more flexibility and less risk so they cut some of their margins. Put 10% down, rest on delivery. Ordered in February and the build took a bit over 3 months.

Positive surprises:

WoodSpinner

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

I'm tempted to go down the same rabbit hole. I think I want 4x4 just case.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 am

Very exciting. The FL looks like an amazing machine.

The size and flexibility of the B looks like a good option for touring. Keep us posted how it is going.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

csm

Post by csm » Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Congrats! Would love to read more about how your journey unfolds.

We are still uncertain about whether or not to pull the trigger on the whole RV'ing idea in retirement, and if so, whether to go with a B-van or something larger. Currently in the process of selling our main home and relocating to what was previously our second home (to become our primary home). Worried about jumping in to a motorhome and also worried about the years getting away from us and not doing it.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

csm wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 pm
We are still uncertain about whether or not to pull the trigger on the whole RV'ing idea in retirement, and if so, whether to go with a B-van or something larger. Currently in the process of selling our main home and relocating to what was previously our second home (to become our primary home). Worried about jumping in to a motorhome and also worried about the years getting away from us and not doing it.
We've kicked this around for a while as well. No intent to go on the road full time, but some trips up to a month or so around western US and Canada. Finally decided to give it a shot, but we are starting with a lower-budget initial investment to try it out. I already had a pickup with fairly good towing capacity, so we just bought a 10-year old smaller 5th wheel. I figure if after a year we decide we don't really get much use out of it, we'll be out a couple of thousand for tax, hitch and storage, but we could sell it for close to what we paid. Maybe later we will decide to get a new and fancier truck/trailer or other RV, but it appeals to my frugal side to start out modestly. At 29'x8', the trailer still feels pretty big to tow, but the 5th wheel mode helps maneuverability and towing, and the pickup is only 18' long for sightseeing.

csm

Post by csm » Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

No intent to go on the road full time, but some trips up to a month or so around western US and Canada. Finally decided to give it a shot, but we are starting with a lower-budget initial investment to try it out.
Good plan. Western US and Canada are our favorite areas to explore as well. Agree about trips of a month or so, rather than full time.

Onefishtwofish

Post by Onefishtwofish » Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 pm

Also looking for tips on purchasing a Pleasure Ways Class B RV . I am looking at a 2006 Excel TS 38K miles 56K out the door. Its in good shape inside and out. New tires, fluids etc. from dealer. I am recently retired and have RV'd in a 27' Winnebago along California coast, had a blast but much too big. My hope is that this vehicle will be a good introduction to RV ownership. Planning on using it mostly to travel around CA and surrounding states with husband and dog; long weekends and some longer trips.

Couple of concerns:

Storage space - doesn't seem there is much of it and I don't believe you can't add a rack to top. I know I can add a hitch and unit for exterior gear. But what about storage inside for pots, pans, clothes?

Interior height - I am only 5'2" and husband is 5'10" so interior height of 74" should not be an issue, right?

Power/Ride - On the test drive it just seemed like a tank. The ride was smooth but seemed like going 45 mph was a challenge. It has been a while since my Winnebago trip and don't remember it feeling that heavy. Do all class B's feel like this?

Warranty - dealer is offering 4500 miles or 90 days. This doesn't seem like much. Is that standard for used RV's?

Any advice welcomed.

csm

Post by csm » Wed May 30, 2018 7:25 am

Onefishtwofish wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 pm
I am looking at a 2006 Excel TS 38K miles 56K out the door.
That sounds very expensive for a 12 year old B van. Just checking RV Trader, there are several of that model much newer for an asking price within a few thousand dollars of that (asking price which should be negotiable).

If you decide that this is the model you want, I would suggest looking further.

Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane » Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Onefishtwofish wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 pm

Storage space - doesn't seem there is much of it and I don't believe you can't add a rack to top. I know I can add a hitch and unit for exterior gear. But what about storage inside for pots, pans, clothes?
Less is more! In our Roadtrek Agile, one cupboard for dishes, 2 of each, wash after every meal. One cupboard for food, one for pots and bowls, just a few. Packing cubes are great for clothes, again, less than you’d think.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 pm

A very Informative Thread on RV Travel.

We bought a Travel Trailer Escape 17B (Made in Canada) + a V6 Highlander last year to a tune of $65K. So far we have seen just 3 fun trips out camping, not enough to justify the investment, but hopefully more trips in store in the coming year.
After setting up camp in a RV Park, cannot beat the ease of exploring the area in the Highlander, at present we store the Camper Trailer in a Storage Facility after turning off the Battery, due to HOA restrictions.

I wonder if I could store a motorized RV for longer time duration due to concerns of draining the Battery, but a Class B does look tempting without the pain of hooking & unhooking the Tow Vehicle to the Trailer which gets old.

Like everything else, Pros & Cons to each option you choose.

A report by Woodspinner after a few months posting his experience with the Class B would be sure help full.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

csm

Post by csm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 pm

We made the jump a month ago and purchased a new 2019 Winnebago Travato 59K on the Ram ProMaster chassis (gas). We picked it up and immediately took off on an 8,000 mile trip to the Badlands, SD, Yellowstone, Oregon coast, Hwy 1 south of San Francisco and then back to our home in central Florida. What a blast.

It was a quick trip because we had temporary license plates (from Ohio) for 45 days so had to return to Florida to register it, but still wanted to make our first trip to the western states, having missed travel to that area for the past many years.

It's such a versatile way to travel because we can stop and park anywhere, the solar panels keep the fridge chilled at all times, USB ports keep our devices charged. We can stop for lunch at the edge of a lake or the ocean and we've stopped for the night in a variety of places. When it was too warm in Oregon (101 degrees) and Phoenix (112 degrees), we easily pulled into a hotel for the night, fitting in a normal parking space.

Next trip will likely be around October up the east coast to New England to see the autumn colors. Any recommendations for specific stops are most welcome!
Last edited by csm on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:35 pm

csm wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 am
Congrats WoodSpinner! Please keep us posted as you take delivery and start to travel.

The PleasureWay (Lexor) would be my choice if it were not for the bed length that bothers my husband. From all of our research, I think PW is a much higher quality than the Roadtrek you considered (we actually visited the Roadtrek factory a few years ago).

We have the same problem with storage as we currently live in a condominium and only have an outdoor parking lot with no dedicated spaces. While we think a B van would technically and legally fit (some people park trucks with crew cab and long bed that have the same length), we are concerned that it would be provoking to many and could cause tension. That would mean paying for off-site storage as you are experiencing.

We are still undecided between a B van and buying something like a Toyota Highlander Hybrid with hotel stays for our travels, so will be interested to hear how you enjoy the PleasureWay.
Why a highlander vs. minivan. More room for limited RV amenities (mainly a toilet) in the minivan. Whether you have a hotel room at night or not you still want the toilet during the day.

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Be certain you have enough engine/power for the many 6% grades you will encounter. We pass Class B rigs struggling to get up the grades all the time.

We sold our 5th wheel trailer last year. It was 34 feet, 3 slides, bought used. We then bought a three horse living quarters horse trailer with one slide. We do not intend to ever put a horse in the trailer. We load a Honda Pioneer SUV in the horse portion. When the "buggy" is unloaded, we use that back portion as a mud room. We have, in effect, created a toy hauler. We did give up living space and an oven, but we stay up to 10 days with two hunting dogs and no one seems to mind.

Horse trailers are all aluminum so no stick built, and they are quite durable as built for 1000 pound horses that flail around during hauls. Learning to make right turns with a gooseneck trailer is important. Parking and backing and hook up is a breeze. Tanks are smaller than our 5th wheel so we carry extra water and a "camp" toilet just in case. (Haven't needed yet). All the components such as refrigerator, microwave, water heater, AC, and entertainment system are the same for any RV. There are only a few manufacturers of these components.

We are NOT stealth but we already had the F350 truck and the hunting SUV and the new cost of the trailer was only $40k. You can, of course, spend twice that or more.

Not for everybody but we feel very safe, very comfortable, very capable, and it is so quick and nimble to pack and unpack and drive around.
"not all storms are in the forecast"

csm

Post by csm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:35 pm
csm wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 am
Congrats WoodSpinner! Please keep us posted as you take delivery and start to travel.

The PleasureWay (Lexor) would be my choice if it were not for the bed length that bothers my husband. From all of our research, I think PW is a much higher quality than the Roadtrek you considered (we actually visited the Roadtrek factory a few years ago).

We have the same problem with storage as we currently live in a condominium and only have an outdoor parking lot with no dedicated spaces. While we think a B van would technically and legally fit (some people park trucks with crew cab and long bed that have the same length), we are concerned that it would be provoking to many and could cause tension. That would mean paying for off-site storage as you are experiencing.

We are still undecided between a B van and buying something like a Toyota Highlander Hybrid with hotel stays for our travels, so will be interested to hear how you enjoy the PleasureWay.
Why a highlander vs. minivan. More room for limited RV amenities (mainly a toilet) in the minivan. Whether you have a hotel room at night or not you still want the toilet during the day.
When we were thinking about the Highlander, we liked the idea of the hybrid model for better fuel economy. Neither the Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey (minivans we would have considered) had the hybrid. But sure, minivan would also have been an option.

However, if you see my last post from a couple of hours ago (right above yours), we bought a Class B van! And we are thrilled with it, especially after our mid-summer trip where we passed by many hotels with no vacancy or high-season pricing and were able to spend the night at no or low cost, sometimes with an ocean or lake view, or in the middle of a national park, etc. And when we did feel like getting the hotel, it was easy to park in the parking lot and was far more enjoyable to have a rare hotel night rather than having to find one for every night of the road trip.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:19 pm

I thought these looked interesting. I haven't seen one in person but the design seems sensible and the price reasonable relative to others.

https://www.modvans.com/