Travel Insurance...Is it worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
charleshugh

Travel Insurance...Is it worth it?

Post by charleshugh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm

My wife and I are planning a vacation in France for approximately 3 weeks this summer. Rick Steves tour and airfare to France (plus a week on our own) will be approximately $10,000. My wife and I are 62 and in excellent health. The "Travel Guard" insurance will be approximately $650.

In your view, is it worth it?

remomnyc

Re: Travel Insurance...Is it worth it?

Post by remomnyc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 pm

Check your credit card. The Chase Sapphire Reserve has trip delay, baggage delay, trip cancellation, trip interruption, and emergency medical up to $2,500 if you purchase your fare with the card. When I travel to remote locations, I typically purchase medical evacuation insurance separately from the tripinsurancestore.com. It was $25 for coverage when I was in Patagonia for medical evacuation up to $100,000.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:53 pm

charleshugh wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm
My wife and I are planning a vacation in France for approximately 3 weeks this summer. Rick Steves tour and airfare to France (plus a week on our own) will be approximately $10,000. My wife and I are 62 and in excellent health. The "Travel Guard" insurance will be approximately $650.

Did you compare other insurers, or is this sold through Rick Steves?

You might contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They have several vetted insurers, with multiple policy types.

Call them and ask them to find something similar to the policy you have.
(I think they also offer Travel Guard, but not sure.)

If you've got the "best deal", they'll tell you they can't do better, given your needs.

Make sure you have coverage for pre-existing conditions, whether for medical care or cancellation/interruption.
There are deadlines for getting this coverage, although at least one company has much later deadlines.

Also see CruiseCritic.com for the travel insurance sub-forum.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635
Most of the issues are *not* cruise-specific.

Enjoy your trip.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

FraggleRock

maybe, maybe not, it depends

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 pm

One of the big players in the game is Allianz.
I just bought a one-year policy for $250.

Research.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 pm

In case it's relevant, we get policies issued by Travel Insured.
They have paid a couple of large claims, with no nonsense.

We get these policies through TripInsuranceStore.
Once, we got a policy from CSA through them, but we had no claim, thank goodness, so cannot comment on that.

RM

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 pm

charleshugh wrote:

What does “it” cover? Cancellation for (some specific) reason before the trip starts? Medical care at the destination? Medical evacuation? What limits, what rules?

Pretty much impossible to answer without more information, IMHO.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Does your current health insurance cover international emergencies?

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 pm

Agree—read the proposed policy carefully. What is covered, excluded, amounts, who decides, etc. Pre-existing conditions was an important issue for me and what is a reimbursable reason for cancelling?

Also shop around to see whether another policy may better meet your needs and price point.

I have mostly relied on insurance from my CCards and but have not had to make many claims. I got back change fees and non-refundable deposits when we had to cancel.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Be careful of the timing. With many policies you have to buy the travel insurance within a week or two of when you make your first payment on anything for the trip to exclude preexisting conditions.

Be sure to identify just what you would lose you had to cancel the trip. Many hotel reservations can be canceled and many airline tickets can be changed for a fee even if they are non-refundable.

Call your health insurance company to find out what coverage you will have overseas, you may already have coverage for emergencies. With medicare there is normally no coverage but a medicare supplement might have very limited overseas coverage. When you are on medicare having travel insurance is usually a good idea even if you have some supplemental coverage.

We rarely book a lot of nonrefundable things but we normally buy trip insurance that just covers the medical cost and evacuation if needed. My dad once fell down some stairs on a cruise ship and had to return early because he had a broken arm and was pretty banged up. They had travel insurance that covered it.

charleshugh

Post by charleshugh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 am

remomnyc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 pm
Check your credit card. The Chase Sapphire Reserve has trip delay, baggage delay, trip cancellation, trip interruption, and emergency medical up to $2,500 if you purchase your fare with the card. When I travel to remote locations, I typically purchase medical evacuation insurance separately from the tripinsurancestore.com. It was $25 for coverage when I was in Patagonia for medical evacuation up to $100,000.
Thanks so much! I checked my Costco Citi Visa card and found that there is $3,000 travel insurance for covered traveler.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 am

charleshugh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 am
remomnyc wrote:
Thanks so much! I checked my Costco Citi Visa card and found that there is $3,000 travel insurance for covered traveler.
I hope your medical insurance will cover you out of the country because $3000 won't go very far.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:40 am

mbres60 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 am
charleshugh wrote:
remomnyc wrote:
I hope your medical insurance will cover you out of the country because $3000 won't go very far.
Also, make sure that the charge card coverage includes costs due to any pre-existing condition, which apparently is not included in some of the card insurance. (That, plus the low limit, is why we don't even consider it.)
This could involve both medical costs and any trip cancellation/interruption costs.

If this is a concern, read *carefully* how pre-existing condition is defined by the policy terms. It can be quite different (for better as well as for worse) than our regular "everyday understanding".

RM

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 am

There are many possible components of "travel insurance".
Trip delay - pays for food/incidentals/lost prepaid reservations if you are stuck at a connection airport due to snow and such.
Lost baggage - buys you new stuff if the airline never finds it, or some stuff it is only lost for a couple days.
Cancellation due to unforeseen circumstance - in case you break your leg the day before you leave.
Cancellation for any reason - because you don't feel like going any more.
Travel medical - if your current medical insurance does not cover you when traveling and you break your leg, get the flu, etc.
Evacuation - in case you break your back and need an air ambulance.
Repatriation - sends your body home if you die.
Death & Dismemberment - in case you lose a leg, or die.
Car Rental CDW - an option on some policies

Before anyone can answer the "is it worth it" question, you need to figure which of the above you already have. In my case it is not worth it:
- My medical insurance covers me world wide with evacuation/repatriation.
- I don't prepay hotels/rentals, so my cancellation expense would be limited to a airline change fee.
- My credit cards provide some level of delay and lost baggage insurance, and truthfully sleeping on the airport floor and buying a meal from the airport McDonald's does not require insurance.
- Credit cards also cover rental cars worldwide.
- Already have life insurance and I won't really care since I'll be dead (no dependents to worry about, other than dogs).
- I rarely check luggage, and if I do the contents are probably worth < $250. I also have everything I need to live for a few days in my carry on.

When I traveled with a couple younger (mid 20s) friends I made them check their insurance polices and their medical did not work outside of the US. I set them up with a basic travel medical policy for about $20 each (no preexisting conditions) for a 10 day trip to Europe through insuremytrip.com (forget which actual carrier we used). It also had a life AD&D component to it. Since the rest of the trip fit my bullets above and was booked on my credit cards, there was no need for anything else.

charleshugh

Post by charleshugh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:40 am
mbres60 wrote:
charleshugh wrote:
remomnyc wrote:
Also, make sure that the charge card coverage includes costs due to any pre-existing condition, which apparently is not included in some of the card insurance. (That, plus the low limit, is why we don't even consider it.)
This could involve both medical costs and any trip cancellation/interruption costs.

If this is a concern, read *carefully* how pre-existing condition is defined by the policy terms. It can be quite different (for better as well as for worse) than our regular "everyday understanding".

RM
Great advice from everyone!!! My BC/BS will cover emergency medical costs. I can't imagine see a physician in France is it isn't an emergency...so I think I am good on healthcare.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:50 pm

charleshugh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:40 am
mbres60 wrote:
charleshugh wrote:
remomnyc wrote:

RM
Great advice from everyone!!! My BC/BS will cover emergency medical costs. I can't imagine see a physician in France is it isn't an emergency...so I think I am good on healthcare.
I would verify how your coverage actually works. When I had BCBS, they would only *reimburse* for international medical costs. I had to pay out of pocket and file a claim with them once I returned home. I don't recall it taking very long to get a check from them but it was a relatively low dollar amount so it probably didn't get much scrutiny. Also, while they covered the medical care, they did not cover the prescription.

-Steph

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 pm

charleshugh wrote:
In my opinion, no. I prefer to self insure the risk of travel interruption and take reasonable precautions without the need to pay for travel insurance, and if I can't afford to do that, I can't afford to travel.

As one example of reasonable precautions that you can take on your own without the need to pay for separate travel insurance, when you reserve hotels in advance sometimes you have the option of paying a reduced rate if you agree to pay a non-refundable price in advance, as compared to the somewhat higher refundable price that can be cancelled without penalty up to a few days before arrival. The way I view that, I can save money by agreeing to pay in advance and take the risk that my travel plans get interrupted or changed, or, I can pay a somewhat higher price and avoid the risk by retaining the ability to cancel without penalty up to a few days before I arrive at the hotel. To me, that price difference is a form of travel insurance that I am willing to pay depending on the circumstances, and I don't have to fill out any forms or submit a claim or worry about terms and conditions and wait for reimbursement.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 pm

As regards medical coverage overseas. You may have coverage for your insurance. If so, then that is great. One of the biggies of travel insurance is the medical evacuation. In other words, getting back to the U.S. on a non commercial carrier because you cannot go commercial. Maybe you need some medical attention or its possibility enroute. That could run a good sum.
What constitutes being unable to fly commercial? As in sitting in a seat for multiple hours. I am not sure. You could have a broken leg in a full leg cast. Coma? I guess you could stay in the country until you could fly back commercial.
If you needed such a non commercial flight, where would you go to do it? Another travel insurance assist. Just knowing how to go about it.
I am sure Rick Steves has a handle on this. Not like he is new to the game.
One of the biggest dangers to Americans traveling is traffic accidents.

algorithm

Post by algorithm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 pm

charleshugh wrote:

I am not sure if $650 is a good deal. It looks so high amount to me. You might get it cheaper if you shop around.
I usually get travel insurance for the medical and evacuation coverage but I have never paid that high for it. I usually get the policy from geoBlue and I am happy with them.

https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/heal ... tside-u-s/

Oleanmike

Post by Oleanmike » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:40 pm

I have first hand experience with the Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation insurance. I had made the final payment on a fairly expensive cruise but had to cancel because of a scheduled medical procedure. The cruise line refunded 50% of the cost but I was still out over $5000.

I had booked the cruise using my Sapphire Reserve card and declined additional insurance because I felt the card offered adequate coverage. So I filed for a refund of the lost amount, and was successful in getting the refund. I had to find and submit credit card statements, a copy of the cruise line cancellation policy, a doctor statement and my doctor had to fill out a form.

The key was "pre-existing conditions", which was defined as "being diagnosed or treated for a condition in the 60 days prior to making a payment". When I booked the payment, I was in good health. The condition that required the procedure was diagnosed after the payment was made, so I did not have a pre-existing condition.

Another interesting thing is that the amount paid on the card can be any amount. Any payment triggers the start of the insurance.

Now when I book a trip, I wait till I have a 60 day period of good health (no doctor visits) then put a $100 payment toward the trip. This triggers the insurance and you have no pre-existings.

I feel confident that this insurance is adequate for me. It does have medical evacuation coverage, but I believe the evacuation location is up to the doctor, not your choice. In other words you may be evacuated but not necessarily to your home.