How to ship two big tubs of butter internationally?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

How to ship two big tubs of butter internationally?

Post by Caduceus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:56 pm

My uncle, who lives in Australia, has requested two big tubs of gourmet mango butter from a restaurant he loves for his birthday. How do I ship it so that the butter survives in the mail? I would rather not use dry ice as it seems rather complicated. Anyone tried shipping butter/perishables internationally before - which carrier did you use and did you use any special packaging?

barnaclebob

Re: How to ship two big tubs of butter internationally?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

You'll want to ship it the fastest method possible and you'll need some way to keep it cold. How is dry ice complicated? Just put it in the box around the butter? Or is there something I'm missing like weight restrictions.

There may also be customs issues with dairy products.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 pm

First, check import restrictions to Australia. :)

I've shipped perishable non-infectious biological samples internationally via Fedex overnight in a so-called re-usable dry shipper. This happens all the time and Fedex is used to it. The dry shipper w/case is about $1200 nowadays. I think the cost to ship is under $300.

Many other companies like DHL, UPS will overnight things to foreign countries. Since it is butter, it should not need refrigeration, so a styrofoam box should be fine. Customs will open it up maybe at both ends.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

There may also be customs issues with dairy products.
I don't think mango butter has anything to do with dairy. It is usually either like shea butter (fatty acids from the seed kernel) or apple butter (concentrated cooked fruit).

I would find out if the restaurant actually makes it or if they just buy it in a jar or tub. If they buy it pre-made, you could simply buy some yourself and ship it without worrying about it spoiling. Might even be able to buy it in Australia or have it shipped directly there.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Ok, I love my uncle, but I'm not paying $1200 to ship two tubs of butter that only cost $40. Dry ice is complicated for shipping reasons - once you declare it, it's hazardous or something like that and shipping is much more expensive, at least based on what I've read.

Are we agreed that Livesoft's suggestion makes the most sense? Just overnight the butter with no temperature control required? Do you think the butter would last two days? two-day shipping would save me a fair bit of money versus overnighting it.

Pajamas, the restaurant makes it. It's so good that the few times I've eaten there, I didn't get to the main course because I was stuffing myself full of the bread and the butter. And I don't even like butter.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Just ship it overnight. hope your uncle remembers you at his will time. :D :D :D

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 pm
Just overnight the butter with no temperature control required? Do you think the butter would last two days? two-day shipping would save me a fair bit of money versus overnighting it.
I don't know about mango butter but regular butter will keep two weeks un-refrigerated if the container is airtight. I grew up with butter sitting on the dining room table in the butter dish for days at a time.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Probably could ship it without refrigeration for a couple of days, depending on how sweet and/or acidic it is, but I'm not sure I would want to risk it.

Another option might be to put it in jars and sterilize it yourself.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:24 pm

Wow, three day shipping for a 1 kg package of butter via Fedex is $130. :(

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Australia is extremely strict about importing foods.

See this: "Bringing or mailing goods to Australia"

And: "Shipping Food to Australia" - parcelhero.com

I am pretty sure the agricultural inspection officer will open up the containers, especially if they are not commercially packaged.

Personally, I wouldn't bother shipping it.

OP, please clarify - is this mango-flavored butter, or a pureed mango product?
Last edited by Raymond on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm

I think it's ridiculous that people don't use the search function. It feels like we're just answering the same questions over and over again.
:sharebeer

ved

Post by ved » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Ok, I love my uncle, but I'm not paying $1200 to ship two tubs of butter that only cost $40. Dry ice is complicated for shipping reasons - once you declare it, it's hazardous or something like that and shipping is much more expensive, at least based on what I've read.

Are we agreed that Livesoft's suggestion makes the most sense? Just overnight the butter with no temperature control required? Do you think the butter would last two days? two-day shipping would save me a fair bit of money versus overnighting it.

Pajamas, the restaurant makes it. It's so good that the few times I've eaten there, I didn't get to the main course because I was stuffing myself full of the bread and the butter. And I don't even like butter.
Why don't you buy a bit - and leave half of it at room temperature, and the other half refrigerated - at home for a few days. Then, see if there's any difference (taste or otherwise) between the two samples. Then, you will know whether it needs to be shipped in a temperature-controlled fashion, or in a normal air-tight jar?

Edit: You should ask the restaurant owner/chef if they have any ideas on how to ship it - I am sure that they have had requests before, if it is as good as you say it is.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm

ved wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 pm
Why don't you buy a bit - and leave half of it at room temperature, and the other half refrigerated - at home for a few days. Then, see if there's any difference (taste or otherwise) between the two samples. Then, you will know whether it needs to be shipped in a temperature-controlled fashion, or in a normal air-tight jar?
I was just going to mention this. Would make sense to really determine if shipping is feasible for you or not.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Mistake #1: Tasting food to see if it's still good
Never taste your food to check if it has spoiled. You can't taste, see or even smell all bacteria that causes food poisoning, and tasting just a tiny bit of contaminated food can cause serious illness.
http://www.eatright.org/resource/homefo ... y-mistakes

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Mango butter (AKA mango oil, mango kernel fat) is an extracted nut oil. Doesn't need refrigeration, but has a low melting point.

https://www.amazon.com/Mango-Butter-Bet ... I9UYA&th=1
Store Mango Butter in its original packaging or place in a plastic or glass jar with a lid. Keep it in a cool, dry place and out of the sunlight. As long as the temperature is below 75 degrees there is no need to keep it refrigerated. Mango Butter has an average shelf life of 12 months.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

elderwise

Post by elderwise » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:13 pm

wow there is edible mango butter?

the previous poster above me links to AZ where it seems its more like shea butter for skin?

OP can you clarify you said its tasty??? TIL..

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

ved wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 pm
That's a start. But shipping may encounter conditions a little more extreme than room temperature. They might be outside for a few hours in Denver and freeze or left in the sun in Oz and get up to 150F or so. Usually not, but it does happen. If the worst that will happen to the butter is ruined texture go for it. If it might result in a hazard you can buy tell-tales and add them to the package so spoiled food can be discarded rather than eaten.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm

I doubt that mango butter would be that difficult to make from scratch...though I'm still unclear as to whether this is mango-flavored butter, or non-dairy pureed mango product. Why don't you ask the restaurant if they would be willing to provide the recipe to see if your uncle (or any decent cooks in his family) could whip up his own batch?

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/man ... ivity-feed

https://food52.com/recipes/17322-citrusy-mango-butter

http://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/man ... 0ab56619d8

http://plugra.com/recipe/sweet-mango-butter/

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Caduceus wrote:

Considering the cost of the alternatives, why not just ship it with nothing and see what happens the first time. If it is destroyed, then consider the more expensive ways.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 pm

It might be cheaper to just pay to fly your uncle from Australia and back. 😂

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

tyrion wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm
I think it's ridiculous that people don't use the search function. It feels like we're just answering the same questions over and over again.
Yes, all those previous mango butter questions! Why isn't there an article in the Wiki by now? :beer
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 pm

Bmac wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 pm
It might be cheaper to just pay to fly your uncle from Australia and back. 😂
lol yes!

Then the answer to the original question becomes: In your stomach/love handles!

whomever

Post by whomever » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 pm

Just overnight the butter with no temperature control required? Do you think the butter would last two days?
I dunno about mango butter, but we routinely take ordinary butter on summer hiking trips. It might spend a couple of weeks in a hot car, then a couple of weeks in an unrefrigerated backpack. We've been doing this for a couple of decades and haven't had any problems yet.

A little googling finds a universal recommendation to not store it unrefrigerated for more than a couple of days, so we seem to be outliers.

Refrigeration is much more recent than butter. There were spring houses and so on which kept it cooled than ambient, if you had a spring handy. OTOH, I think I've heard of butter being served on shipboard in the days of sail, and not in the context of having just left port.

This page: http://www.butterjournal.com/butter-history/ mentions, inter alia, Norwegians being taxed a bucket of butter annually. They didn't have reefer trucks to transport that (although, being Norway, you could wait for winter).

Also:
"Today, barrels of ancient Irish butter, which were traditionally buried in bogs for aging, are among the most common archeological finds in the Emerald Isle".
"Across the Atlantic, butter consumption started with the pilgrims, who packed several barrels for their journey on the Mayflower."

Oddly, we switched from margarine to butter for our hiking trips because margarine doesn't travel well unrefrigerated. And we take a lot of it, relative to in town use, because it tastes good, and has 200 calories an ounce, which is important for backpacking.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 pm

tooluser wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm
tyrion wrote:
Yes, all those previous mango butter questions! Why isn't there an article in the Wiki by now? :beer
Needs to be a sticky at the very least.
Get it? Mango butter --- sticky? :P

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:11 pm

Caduceus wrote:

Why wouldn't it last two days? Butter doesn't require refrigeration. I guess it will eventually go bad. But long after two days. Or are you worried it would melt?

Put it in a small cheap styrofoam cooler with a cheap gel ice pack or two. Then box it up and ship.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Fruit butters that I’ve had over the years are sold in glass jars at room temperature at nearly all stores. As long as the jar hasn’t been opened, I don’t see any need to refrigerate as the instructions say, “ refrigerate after opening. I’d pack well in bubble wrap and send at room temperature.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 pm

IMO, discussion of shipping methods to Australia take second place to whether he can even legally send it there (strict Australian regulations).
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Yes, there is mango puree in it. According to the chef, about 6 oz of mango puree for every 2 lbs of butter, or something like that.

I would have assumed butter would go rancid pretty quickly even without the mango. (although perhaps that's because I dont eat butter and have no experience with it.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Post by 123 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 pm

That Amazon mango butter looks like its available from Amazon in Australia. Note the URL amazon.com.au

https://www.amazon.com.au/Pure-Mango-Bu ... ngo+butter
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

fear/greed

Post by fear/greed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:59 pm

tyrion wrote:
Hahaha!!!

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 am

I'm in Sydney now and mango is readily available. Why not just send him this recipe and be done with it? I suspect the flavor with the fresh mango will be better than anything shipped from the states, imho.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/reci ... ngo-butter

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 am

Australian import regulations regarding food are strict, particularly if the food is not bearing an official ingredients label in a sealed package. Fruits, nuts, seeds, etc are especially forbidden. Butter sounds ok if it is clearly labeled.

That said, my mother once sent us a Christmas box with a huge package of assorted nuts. I warned her not to try sending nuts but instead she simply didn't mention it on the contents declaration. Customs didn't catch it so we ate lots of tasty nuts.

You could just give it a go and see if it arrives and is edible (doesn't smell rancid) on arrival.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 am

It might be cheaper to ship one double big tub of butter, but I'm not an expert on metric units.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 am

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 pm
I would have assumed butter would go rancid pretty quickly even without the mango.
Your assumption would be incorrect.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 pm

We always leave our butter out at room temp. It's much easier to spread when it's not rock hard from being in the fridge. Never had it go rancid, even in the summer without AC (though it might get very soft at that point).
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Ok, I love my uncle, but I'm not paying $1200 to ship two tubs of butter that only cost $40.
For $1200, you might be able to ship the uncle to the restaurant. Or you could make a personal delivery.

I'm assuming it's got some sort of butter or mango in it, and your uncle could buy ingredients locally. Scour the web and youtube for recipes, try some out and send him the best closest one.

Other mango butter ideas:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Mango-Madness ... 0751JZ54F/
https://www.amazon.com.au/Mango-Butter- ... 078YL3N7N/
https://www.amazon.com.au/Mango-Butter- ... B019M4XXPS
Caduceus wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 pm
Yes, there is mango puree in it. According to the chef, about 6 oz of mango puree for every 2 lbs of butter, or something like that.
I see you asked the chef. Is this it or are there other secret unnamed ingredients? Try some yourself and see if you can come close.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 pm

If the restaurant is Cuba Libre, here is their mango butter recipe (supposedly from waiter at restaurant):

CUBA LIBRE'S MANGO BUTTER:

2 lbs. Softened Butter
6 oz. Mango Puree
1/3 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp. Black Pepper

I may actually try this myself, it sounds good!

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:04 pm

sevenseas wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 pm
If the restaurant is Cuba Libre, here is their mango butter recipe (supposedly from waiter at restaurant):

2 lbs. Softened Butter
6 oz. Mango Puree
1/3 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp. Black Pepper

Sounds good to me too. All the ingredients are fairly common, except for the mango puree. I was wondering where I'd get a can of it, and I'm sure there are stores that sell it, but I realized the easiest way for me to get mango puree is to buy some mangos (usually in summer) and put it in a blender.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:13 pm

mrc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:05 pm
Mango butter (AKA mango oil, mango kernel fat) is an extracted nut oil. Doesn't need refrigeration, but has a low melting point.

Store Mango Butter in its original packaging or place in a plastic or glass jar with a lid. Keep it in a cool, dry place and out of the sunlight. As long as the temperature is below 75 degrees there is no need to keep it refrigerated. Mango Butter has an average shelf life of 12 months.

He should just buy this! just sayin.

fear/greed

Post by fear/greed » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:45 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:13 pm
mrc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:05 pm
He should just buy this! just sayin.
That is most definitely not the same mango butter that the OP is talking about!
sevenseas wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 pm

2 lbs. Softened Butter
6 oz. Mango Puree
1/3 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp. Black Pepper

This sounds insanely delicious!

ram

Post by ram » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Mango puree is readily aviailabe in most Indian grocery stores. Recommend Alphonso mango. Usually $4/lb (450 grams)https://www.google.com/search?q=ratna+a ... nsVKv_pW6M:
Ram

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 am

I ship butter internationally all the time. Just smear it on the inner side of a normal cardboard box (like an Amazon box). When it arrives at its destination, the recipient can just pull the box apart and use the cardboard pieces as serving trays for the butter. Quick and easy.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 am

I think your uncle likes mangoes more than the butter. Why not get fresh mangoes locally ?

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm

RE: Mango Butter Spread (for breads, crackers, etc.)

This Hawaii-based company ships internationally and rates are easily found on their site.

Good luck, hope he enjoys it:

https://www.abcstores.com/26076-mangobutterspread
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.