LastPass vs Dashlane

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
EvelynTroy

LastPass vs Dashlane

Post by EvelynTroy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 am

Been using LastPass (free version) for sometime - recall can't remember when LastPass had some security issue/compromise. Seems like there wasn't any damage done to user accounts. However, pops back in my mind now and then perhaps I should change password managers.
Reading up on them Dashlane, the free version seems quite adequate for my needs, i.e.could work around the syncing across devices feature in particular. Looks easy to use.

Any opinions on leaving well enough alone or would a change to Dashlane be in order?

Also curious to know do any of you keep your financial - banks, brokerage accounts, etc., separate from your password manager - and just manually type in those more sensitive usernames and passwords?

Thanks. Evely

Pajamas

Re: LastPass vs Dashlane

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

What makes you think Dashlane will be safer to use than LastPass? I would not form an opinion on that based solely on a past security breach or breaches. The fact is that all software is vulnerable to security breaches and so no software should be considered absolutely secure.

I haven't used Dashlane but a site I consider to be generally reliable has named the two as top choices and provided a comparison. A different password manager, Keeper, was deemed most secure.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-passw ... -3785.html
Last edited by Pajamas on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

junior

Post by junior » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

EvelynTroy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 am
Been using LastPass (free version) for sometime - recall can't remember when LastPass had some security issue/compromise. Seems like there wasn't any damage done to user accounts. However, pops back in my mind now and then perhaps I should change password managers.
Reading up on them Dashlane, the free version seems quite adequate for my needs, i.e.could work around the syncing across devices feature in particular. Looks easy to use.

Any opinions on leaving well enough alone or would a change to Dashlane be in order?

Also curious to know do any of you keep your financial - banks, brokerage accounts, etc., separate from your password manager - and just manually type in those more sensitive usernames and passwords?

Thanks. Evely
The fact that Lastpass was in the news doesn' t mean Dashlane is more secure. I would expect the more popular password manager to be in the news more, all things being equal. You need to worry about security flaws that have not bee discovered yet, not those that have been discovered and fixed.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:57 am

Thank you for your comments -
I understand what you all are explaining - I appreciate the input.
Evelyn

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

I'm sure that both are good choices based on all the reviews I've read lately. I've been using Dashlane for almost two years now, first the free version and then the paid version. I like the interface (in both Windows and Android) and plan to re-up my subscription next month (even at the new higher $40 rate). But both get high marks. One of my decision criteria - which both LastPass and Dashlane meet - was that they are widely used. If the worst case happens - it will be public information quickly.

Keep in mind, whatever you decide, that it's pretty easy to switch password managers at any time. Most of the good ones (perhaps all ?) allow for import and export. Either from other "brands" or via CSV files. When in doubt, you could always try Dashlane and then make your own personal comparison on ease of use.

I keep all my passwords in Dashlane, including financial institutions. I access via multiple devices, so it's the only practical choice for me. The important thing to me is all the other security measures that I take. Ranging from 2 factor authentication (particularly via a security key on my investment accounts), to text and email notifications for all activity, to all sorts of basic security practices on all machines, to knowing what to do if I spot something suspicious. Plus, daily Quicken downloads tell me if something is amiss anyway. My thinking is that nothing is risk-free,but password managers beat the alternatives for anybody using multiple devices.

skierrex

Post by skierrex » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am

I'm happy with Lastpass, been using it for years.
I think it costs $2 per month now for the deluxe version.
I include all my bank passwords, they are all like 24 characters long.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 pm

In the LastPass breach, it's important to understand what happened and especially what didn't happen. The bad guys didn't get your passwords: they got a blob of data that can't be read without your LastPass password, and they didn't get that because it never leaves your PC. Given enough time and computing power, they could try all possible passwords until they eventually came to yours and at that point they would have your passwords. The hope is that by then you would have already changed all your passwords, a thing I'm told LastPass makes it easy to do. That's why LastPass was so active about warning their users about the breach, even though it was terrible publicity for them: to give their users an opportunity to change their passwords as soon as possible.

You could switch to another cloud-based manager, but there's no particular reason to think they would be more secure, because the LastPass design is the best practice for the current state of the art. In a perfect world no one would ever get hacked, but we obviously do not live in that world and the LastPass design at least minimizes the damage. The most useful thing you can do is choose a strong password for LastPass or whatever manager you end up with. After that would be changing all your other passwords every so often, in case your manager gets breached without noticing it.

P.S. I see that DashLane and LastPass both have blogs, for example

https://blog.dashlane.com/meltdown-spec ... ying-safe/
https://blog.lastpass.com/2018/01/lastp ... ctre.html/

Following those is probably a good idea too.
Last edited by telemark on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:54 pm

skierrex wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
I'm happy with Lastpass, been using it for years.
I think it costs $2 per month now for the deluxe version.
I include all my bank passwords, they are all like 24 characters long.
Also very happy for years. Any site that has ever seen a credit card number of mine or is a financial site gets a 16 or greater character mixed alpha upper/lower and numeric password. Since all sites confirm any and every thing via email I feel very secure.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - this has been helpful.
I appreciate knowing what happened and didn't happen in the LastPass breech in easy to understand language.
And yes I'll follow the blog so I know whats happening. The whole notion that because both get high marks and being widely known is in itself a good criteria.
I'm going to stick with LastPass and as some of you suggested increase the number of characters in some of my passwords.

Evelyn