Using DASHLANE Password Manager

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leesbro63

Using DASHLANE Password Manager

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 pm

I am wondering what happens if, while using DASHLANE, my computer hard drive crashes or is otherwise destroyed. What is the process for getting DASHLANE up and running on a different computer, to get into my sites that have passwords that are too long to remember?

DetroitRick

Re: Using DASHLANE Password Manager

Post by DetroitRick » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Dashlane user here...
If you are using the paid version, which synchs to multiple devices, it's super easy. Just install Dashlane on the next computer, sign-in, enter the validation code they will send you, and you are good to go.

If you are using the free version, nothing gets synched, so you need to make and maintain your own backup copy. To do that:
1)Open dashlane
2)Select File Export from the menu
3)You have 3 choices, Dashlane secure archive (encrypted and subsequently needs your Dashlane password to open), Unsecured Archive for Excel, or Unsecured Archive in CSV format. The Dashlane Secure Archive is the far better choice.
4)Save it to something other than your primary pc hard drive.

Then, install Dashlane on the new computer and from the File menu choose Import and Dashlane Secure Archive. If anything needs more explanation, just let me know.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm glad I asked! That was VERY helpful. Thank you, DetroitRick

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 pm

And, if you're using multiple devices, as most of us are, then the paid version of Dashlane is well worth it because it syncs across all of your devices.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Another question. Some of my sites, particularly CITICARD, instead of my "Log In" User ID, what comes up is "IDENTITY" with my first name. ANd I can't figure out how to make it not do that. There is no DASHLANE customer call in number.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Greetings! Yes, I've had that type of problem on some websites, including a CITI website for a while. It doesn't happen very often (although the Citi thing was consistent for me), so I haven't gone too far in diagnosing.

One thing that has worked for me (sometimes, as in maybe 2/3 thirds of the time) is to open the Dashlane extension, go to the offending site name, click on the 3 horizontal dots (More Options, to pull up the Dashlane menu), and then select View Details. Next, delete the website address you see listed and replace it with a current address from the current log-in page (preferably using copy and paste from that page, to avoid typos). This sort of makes sure that Dashlane is going to the exact current login address. You can also do the same type of edit by opening the actual Dashlane app, with slightly different menu steps.

Dashlane does encourage reporting (by email) for sites where it won't work properly. I've never bothered, but it may be worth it if your issue persists. The one time I contacted Dashlane, on a different issue, they did a tech support callback and were pretty decent.

As an interim workaround, Dashlane will allow you to cut and paste the login and password from the Dashlane app (again from that View Details sub menu). It's not a permanent solution, but it does work reliably.

Hope this helps. Maybe others here have other suggestions.

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Completely new to password managers. Will use Dashlane on iMac and PC. I do not want to store my passwords in the cloud, only on my computer/s. I read that Free vesrion Dashlane can be used on only one device? Does that mean I can not use it on both iMac and PC? Thanks.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am

You can install use it on all devices for free and manually update each one, as it will not sync them ...a pita.

huskers310

Post by huskers310 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Anyone have a problem resetting Dashlane account? Apparently I lost my password to my premium account and therefore am trying to reset the account ( will lose all my data) but Dashlane never sends the email with the reset code. Not in spam or any other email folder. I get other emails from Dashlane support but the reset code email never comes.

Have had very strange symptoms that lead to this problem as i know my password but Dashlane unable to solve the issue without having me reset password. They claim nothing strange has occurred on my account. The support team seems unable to read emails and it is incredibly frustrating that I cant talk to a real person.

Any suggestions?

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:39 am

One possibility, since you are not receiving an email. Is there any chance that you once set up 2-factor authentication for Dashlane? If you had set it up to only be used when adding a new device to your account (as opposed to the other option - every Dashlane login) it is something you wouldn't see very often. But it could still be there and would come into play when doing an account reset. So, had this been setup, when you reset your Dashlane password you would receive that code rather than an email.

Another, lower probability idea - you mentioned strange symptoms and "apparently" losing your password. If you did have a password in mind that you really thought was correct, it might be worth a shot installing Dashlane on a new device and making a few attempts with that password again It's a long shot, but if it works, you would then be able to reinstall Dashlane on the machine giving you problems. Since both devices synch, you wouldn't lose your passwords either (verify password synch on new device BEFORE reinstalling on old device, though).

Hope you can find a solution.