Neighbor recently burglarized- Suggestions for home security

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DelcoEE

Re: Neighbor recently burgalerized - Suggestions for home security

Post by DelcoEE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:50 pm

I have an OOMA security package and two security cameras which will alert me AFTER there is a break in BUT what I really like are the following motion detection light bulbs. I use them inside. They are radar NOT infrared so they will work through shades and glass. They got some bad reviews but are working great for me. I set one up near a window in my living room near the front window. After dark I pull the shades. If anyone gets close to the window or door the lights go on. I am hoping that if a peeping Tom or a burglar approaches the house the light will come on and deter him. The lights also trigger my motion detecting cameras (Foscam R2 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera).
I am certainly not relying on them ( I also have external motion detecting lights and secure windows and doors) but I think for the price ($12) they are worth a look and put another tool in your home defense kit.

In other words its a very cheap way to detect motion outside of your house. I think creative people can find a lot of ways to use them for security.

Motion Sensor Light Bulb 5W Smart Bulb Radar Dusk to Dawn LED Motion Sensor Light Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Sensor-In ... op?ie=UTF8

I am curious what the Bogle Heads think.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Something else you could do is talk to an insurance agent. Ask them what discounts are available for different security measures(deadbolts, alarm systems, cameras, safes)? Their actuaries have more data than we'll ever see and presumably use that to set their pricing for insuring jewelry and other valuables.

queso

Post by queso » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 am

There is some good info upthread. We've hashed a lot of this out already in other threads too. Bottom line - security is about layers. The more layers you have the better your security.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=185688&hilit=security

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=189262&hilit=security

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=189029&hilit=security

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=225675&hilit=security

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=233795&hilit=security

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 am

Put up some fake security signs and leave some lights on, leave the TV on is even better. Make it look like someone is home all the time. I'm always surprised to see some homes totally dark.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 am

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm
jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm
camera pictures
What resolution camera do you need to get this quality of picture. How does it look at night?
No need to get too hung up on high resolution IP cameras. The trend has been to increase the megapixels in cameras without increasing the sensor size. This does enable the user to expand the image for better resolution on zoom in situations during daytime images. However, this benefit is at the expense of lower night time images.

Normally, a 2MP camera will produce better night time images than a 5MP camera with the same size image (using IR lighting). Of course this can be overcome by adding additional lighting. Also, there are specific cameras designed for low light applications but they are somewhat more expensive.

Avoid wireless IP cameras if possible. Hardwired cameras are much more reliable, and overall quality is generally better.

Bottom line: a surveillance camera system will not prevent a robbery. Even if you have good video it may not help the police apprehend the perps. However, it's just another step in securing your home and allowing you to use in conjunction with a good security system to monitor your home.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 am

Where I lived before, the police had a police officer who would come out and go over the house with you and tell you areas that needed work to make them safe. For example, he showed me what to do to make windows hard to open from the outside, but easy to open from the inside in case of fire, also how to do this so they could be partly opened in summer, etc.

As an older woman, she may not be able to take care of a big dog, who will need activity, walking, how is she going to lift the dog into the car to get to the vet if the dog is seriously ill. Also, those electric fences are worthless if a dog sees prey or someone wants to steal the dog.

Watchful neighbors are not a lot of use at 3am, although they do help some.

I am not a fan of alarms, since I had to race to disable them too often when pet sitting for friends. I don't need stress every time I open my front door. But perhaps a system that automatically calls the police would appeal to the OP's neighbor if she is willing to put up with this.

If I had cameras, I would be sure they stored recordings off site in real time.

This is perhaps another reason for the OP's neighbor to have a wearable alert thing and talk in advance to the provider about using it as an alarm as well as for health issues.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 am

Around our house we have four 40 Watt fluorescent lamps on all night, also a locked fence around the backyard, have not had any burglars for 30 years. I have pinned all lower level windows. Storm doors are locked from the inside. We have blinds on all of our windows, so a potential burglar can not see what we are doing inside the house at night.
Last edited by likegarden on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 am

DelcoEE wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:50 pm
I have an OOMA security package and two security cameras which will alert me AFTER there is a break in BUT what I really like are the following motion detection light bulbs. I use them inside. They are radar NOT infrared so they will work through shades and glass. They got some bad reviews but are working great for me. I set one up near a window in my living room near the front window. After dark I pull the shades. If anyone gets close to the window or door the lights go on. I am hoping that if a peeping Tom or a burglar approaches the house the light will come on and deter him. The lights also trigger my motion detecting cameras (Foscam R2 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera).
I am certainly not relying on them ( I also have external motion detecting lights and secure windows and doors) but I think for the price ($12) they are worth a look and put another tool in your home defense kit.

In other words its a very cheap way to detect motion outside of your house. I think creative people can find a lot of ways to use them for security.

Motion Sensor Light Bulb 5W Smart Bulb Radar Dusk to Dawn LED Motion Sensor Light Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Sensor-In ... op?ie=UTF8

I am curious what the Bogle Heads think.
Do these go on every time an animal goes by, like a raccoon or a fox? In my semi-rural area I would prefer that not happen.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:28 am

[/quote]
I don't know what a robot dog is but my MIL lived next door to a lady that had a recording of a dog barking that went off automatically. This was in a condo building with traffic along the pathway that must have set the dog off dozens of times a day. Not sure how it worked for the neighbor but my dear MIL never had a robbery...
[/quote]

For those who have installed a RING doorbell, one of the sound options you can set it to is barking dogs. Every time the doorbell rings (or if you set the motion detector feature) barking dogs will kick in. At least they do stop 'barking' after a bit. Add water bowl for a realistic touch. :happy

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm

"""""Guard Cats.""""""
Any burglar entering the home will be pestered for food. :shock:

Actionably: the concept is "layers" as previous poster's suggest.
Deterrents at the perimeter fence, outdoor area, home entry exit points, then interior, etc.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Big dog seems like a good deterrent according to a bunch of convicted burglars who were interviewed. Loud alarm systems would send them packing. Mostly they were looking for signs that no one was home.

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/investi ... /344213396

DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Do these go on every time an animal goes by, like a raccoon or a fox? In my semi-rural area I would prefer that not happen.
I found out that I can adjust the sensitivity by the placement of the lamp, the type of lamp and the amount of ambient light.

For example, If I place the lamp directly in the front window, with shades closed and it is completely dark the light will detect anybody walking up to my front walk with 15-20 feet of the house.
In my case I set the lamp a few feet back from the window and leave a night light on. It seems to trigger only when someone is at the door or in front of the window. I have not used it enough to really perform a scientific analysis.

I don't use them outside but I am sure they are sensitive enough to trigger on an animal. I think there are many other motion detectors with adjustable sensitivity that might be a better match for your needs. This product has its limitations but might be a cheap effective tool for others. I just think the radar detection may be interesting to some creative people.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:38 pm

You can't really burglar-proof a house. What's the point of having a solid bolted front and back door if they can just break the glass of any one of the hundred windows to get in? This is one reason I prefer living in apartments or condos, preferably on a high floor. :D

iasw

Post by iasw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm

likegarden wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 am
Around our house we have four 40 Watt fluorescent lamps on all night, also a locked fence around the backyard, have not had any burglars for 30 years. I have pinned all lower level windows. Storm doors are locked from the inside. We have blinds on all of our windows, so a potential burglar can not see what we are doing inside the house at night.
Get some LED bulbs! They are cheap now. Do that and rather than use 160w all night, you could use like 8w or maybe 16w, depending on what you get.

whomever

Post by whomever » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 pm

What's the point of having a solid bolted front and back door if they can just break the glass of any one of the hundred windows to get in?
From advice from the police over the years, and some of those interviews of convicted burglars, they much prefer doors to windows because:

1)A door getting kicked in is a generic loud noise - neighbors who hear it can posit any number of possible legit reasons for the noise. Glass breaking is a distinctive sound, so neighbors are more likely to have a look or call 911.
2)For your average non-reinforced door, it's easier. Windows are actually kinda hard to break. Once the door is open, it's open. Once you heave a brick through the window, you still have to clean out the remaining glass, or get cut.
3)You might get cut anyway. In the days of DNA, that's bad for burglars.
4)When you kick or jimmy a door, the period where it's obvious what you're doing is only a few seconds. A neighbor who looks a little early just sees someone going up to the door; one who looks a second after the kick just sees someone entering a house. Unless the neighbor is sure of your schedule, the burglar looks like any other visitor. Getting seen climbing through a window, though, is a pretty obvious sign of a burglary.
5)Imagine you're a burglar. You walk up to the door and knock. No one answers, yay! A quick look around for nosy neighbors and you kick the door - no joy. You noisily kick it a few more times, still no joy. Now you get to decide - do you progress to a window, or try another house a few blocks over? There is a possibility a neighbor has already spotted you, and you can also surmise that whoever lives here has prepared for a burglary. Will they also have an alarm? Have they recorded serial numbers? Have even a light duty safe that will slow you down?

Of course, most of this assumes you live in suburbia. If you have a cabin or farmhouse isolated on 100 acres, that's a different situation (with good and bad from a burglar's POV; on one hand being isolated is nice for them, but OTOH if the 400 yd driveway is the only way out they have a problem if someone does come to investigate).

carofe

Post by carofe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm

This is a good reading about this the topic of home invasion and security:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/HomeInvasion.htm
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 pm

carofe wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm
This is a good reading about this the topic of home invasion and security:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/HomeInvasion.htm
Thanks for posting.
Interesting site.
Worse than reading about the pitfalls of a bad allocation. . . . . . :shock:
But good information.
mahalo,
j

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Simply Safe is popular with the low cost and easy to setup
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:11 pm

I removed an off-topic post and reply about carrying guns.

Please stay on-topic and state your concerns in a civil, factual, manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Our neighborhood used to be a huge target for burglaries-nice neighborhood, well tended landscapes, obviously middle class. Over the last year the burglaries have dropped to almost nonoccurrence. I think the one thing that many people did was to buy the Ring Doorbell. All of sudden on our Facebook neighborhood site and Nextdoor site we would see videos of probably bogus salespeople on the porch with their sales pitch. The Facebook site has 1000 neighbors and the Nextdoor site encompasses the whole northern part of our city. People posted the photos of these individuals along with whatever sales story they were told. Those so-called "sales people" were some pretty sketchy looking individuals. Any actual break ins to homes were also posted so every one knew what was going on and how those homes were broken into. Many times the thieves would ring the doorbells to see if anyone was home. Neighbors starting watching parked cars in the neighborhood that didn't belong-with unknown individuals sitting there-watching. Neighbors are also posting license plates of the cars in our neighborhood that don't belong. I now carry my smartphone when I go out walking. So between the Ring Doorbell and social media (Facebook and Nextdoor) I think it has tremendously reduced burglaries and other home break ins-

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 pm

miamivice wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am
Best thing for home security is a good insurance policy, so any stolen items or home damage can be repaired at little cost.

Next best option is to have lots of quality neighbors who have nosy stay at home wives (or husbands).

Another good option is to live in safe area where this type of thing is not common.

But of course none of those are what you are looking for. I have read online about 'beware of dog" signs, dog bowls on front porch, etc. Not sure how effective they are.

My favorite idea is to install a security sign out front of your house. You can buy them off eBay, and they look identical to the signs of the real security system. Almost everyone in my neighborhood has a sign, yet, I have never heard an alarm go off even accidently. I have a feeling that either no one sets the security alarm, or no one has them, but everyone has the signs.
very poor advise, sir.
i guess you don't know that your jewelry is NOT covered by the HO insurance policy? Even if it is, there is a limit how much is covered (run a quick google search like this https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... 80&bih=615)
secondly... "quality" neighbors run between the windows in their own homes in hopes to catch a robber in the neighborhood ? really?

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Rashen wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 pm
very poor advise, sir.
i guess you don't know that your jewelry is NOT covered by the HO insurance policy? Even if it is, there is a limit how much is covered (run a quick google search like this https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... 80&bih=615)
You can insure almost any tangible property: https://www2.chubb.com/us-en/individual ... icles.aspx

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:34 am

I was a resident manager in an apartment building in a "sketchy" neighborhood. Many many decades ago.
Deadbolt door locks.
Dowels on the windows.
Motion lights front and back.
Floodlights front and back.
Neighborhood watch sign on the front wall, also smaller one on the side of my door.
This was long before the days of wireless security cameras.
Got to know "everyone".
Rented, at a discount, police officers and their families, 2 prison guard supervisors, several Marine and their families.
The last move did the trick.
Proactive plus defensive.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 am

Security cameras outside

Security system signs outside (I use a different one from the company I actually have monitoring the home)

Motion activated lights outside

Reinforced front door lock

Hurricane resistant windows are harder to smash

Security camera inside

Alarm system inside

Large safe bolted to floor inside

Multiple smart lights on timers inside

Multiple guns stashed in the home and I carry one at all times on my person

mjb

Re: Neighbor recently burglarized- Suggestions for home security

Post by mjb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 am

Here are a few things I do.

I have spikey plants under windows. (Deer ate one to the ground this year and I need to find a different one).

I have a Simplisafe system. I realize that it doesn't determined a burglar all that much, but it is a deterrent. I also have it because it has pipe burst sensors and monitored smoke detectors. Also, my discount on homeowners insurance covers about 1/4-1/3 the cost.

My neighbor has a huge loud dog in his back yard that is always looking at the squirrels in my back yard.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:47 am

Check out the Nest Doorbell, which is coming out next month:

https://nest.com/doorbell/nest-hello/overview/

Unlike Ring, Nest doorbell will offer 24x7 streaming. One complaint some people have about Ring is that it doesn't capture motion quickly.
I had planned on buying the Ring doorbell, but am now going to see how the Nest reviews are.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:30 am

Rashen wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 pm
miamivice wrote:
Best thing for home security is a good insurance policy, so any stolen items or home damage can be repaired at little cost.

Next best option is to have lots of quality neighbors who have nosy stay at home wives (or husbands).

Another good option is to live in safe area where this type of thing is not common.

But of course none of those are what you are looking for. I have read online about 'beware of dog" signs, dog bowls on front porch, etc. Not sure how effective they are.

My favorite idea is to install a security sign out front of your house. You can buy them off eBay, and they look identical to the signs of the real security system. Almost everyone in my neighborhood has a sign, yet, I have never heard an alarm go off even accidently. I have a feeling that either no one sets the security alarm, or no one has them, but everyone has the signs.
very poor advise, sir.
secondly... "quality" neighbors run between the windows in their own homes in hopes to catch a robber in the neighborhood ? really?
All of the jewelry we own in our house is covered by our homeowners insurance policy. I have checked. There is a limit to how much the policy will cover, but our jewelry all falls under the limit (we don't own expensive jewels). For those that own expensive jewels, you can obtain a rider to ensure they are covered. That is why I suggested a "good" insurance policy, to make sure your possessions are covered.

Quality neighbors keep an eye out for strange doings, strange cars, strange people in the neighborhood. They call the police, post on Facebook, and generally keep an eye open for weird things.

I don't consider this poor advice.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 am

psteinx wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm
Re: Anti-break film

How easy is this to self-install? Does it change the appearance of the glass in any noticeable way?

I'd be interested in this primarily for some sidelight windows next to a main door. I would like to reduce the chances of a "break sidelight, reach around to unlock door" approach...
It was easy. cut the film to size. then clean the window. Get a good squeegee with a rubber tip. Then spray the widow with water and a bit of baby shampoo. Take the film off and float it to where you want it. Then you use a card scraper (plastic looks like a credit card) to push the water out.
And your done.
There are different thicknesses of films, different tints, and different uv blocking property's. Some of the thick stuff is used for bullet proofing glass.
We went with clear but with a dose of uv blocker. I have done small windows to sliding patio doors. Just take your time it will come out easy. Plus there are you tube videos.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:17 am

I put 3" screws in the door frame so it won't split as easily.
I have a 110+ lb German Shepherd.
Motion lighting all the way around my house.
An alarm system with stickers for a different alarm on my doors.
Cameras around the exterior.

My neighborhood is targeted a few times per year by a large number of car break-ins, and they've never come onto my property due to the lighting and cameras. They always hit my neighbors. I review camera footage for my local PD, and I've seen them look at my cameras from the street and stay away.
Last edited by Geneyus on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtlantaP

Post by AtlantaP » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:54 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm
At increasing levels of security.

Security cameras with red blinking LED lights, every point of entry, front door, back door, etc.
This is amazingly effective. Nobody wants to be on camera.

Motion sensor Flood lights, all points of entry and also each side of the house.

Deadbolt locks on all exterior doors. Including door access from garage to home. Also strike plates and non pry shields.
Pin locks on all windows and sliding doors. Especially sliding doors. Dowels or rods in the track.
Security lockable screen doors if you have one. Front and Back door. So double secure.

A few automatic light timers, inexpensive, that turn lights on in the house when you are not home. Different one's go on and off at different times to mimic a routine. Can use desk and floor lamps.

Intrusion alarms at exterior door points of entry.

Fence around the home with electric gate with key code entry.
A dog with access to the fenced area around the home.
An electric fence zapper on top of the fence to keep the dog from jumping over the fence, also discourages intruders.
A neighborhood watch sign in front and back on the fence.
A private property keep out sign on front and back of the fence.
Small floodlights on each corner of the house that stay on at night, though depends where you live as it can bother the neighbors.

Depending on where you live and what state, a keep out sign with a drawing of an AR-15 is humorous as well as applicable. (joke)
j :D
How much does it take, on average, to install these items?
We have two Larson security storm doors. Purchase and installation from Lowe's in 2013 was $907, including local sales tax. We had these installed after several burglaries in the neighborhood. I was worried about our doors being kicked in, or the glass in them being broken (HOA will not allow different solid doors, but the storm doors were allowed).

I also looked into the 3M security film for our windows, it is a clear film that supposedly makes it hard to break and get through a window.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Swansea wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm
A good lock or strong door frame doesn't matter if there is glass withing reaching distance of the lock itself. The glass can be broken and the intruder can reach around to unlock it.

Cameras won't help catch a thief unless you recognize the person. But a camera in plain view with a sticker on the door warning someone that they are under video surveillance is probably a good deterrent.

Going straight for the bedroom and jewelry is pretty standard. Thats what happened to us except they also took all of our cell phone chargers. Most electronics aren't worth much these days so If it doesn't fit in a backpack it probably wont be stolen.
I have deadbolt locks on doors there there is glass. The deadbolts can not be opened inside or outside, without a key. You can get them without the knobs.
The only problem with dead bolts is that you can’t get out easily in case of a fire. You could use them only when you’re not home though.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:46 pm

One thing I have not seen mentioned yet is a product called "Fake TV."

It is a small device that has an array of LEDs that mimics the color/flash of a television when it is on but doesn't draw the power of a television left on all day. It really makes it look like someone is home! :sharebeer

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 am
Front door kicked/pushed in - luckily nobody home but was on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently thief(thieves) went straight to the bedroom and found jewelry. The rest of the house seemed untouched. Neighbor is older woman that lives alone is very upset and scared.

In priority order, what suggestions do you have for home security? - in this case it's a single family home (not condo /apartment - but suggestions welcome)
edit wrote:
I should be more clear - according to the neighbor the house was disturbed in small ways (didn't "toss" the house). Maybe their goal was to have the owner not notice right away since some people don't look at their jewelry daily. In this case the door damage was obvious but have heard of thieves entering unlocked back doors and the theft not discovered for days or weeks. Have also heard that thieves go right to standard hiding places for small valuable items.

Talking to my neighbor, she was more upset about strangers in her house and the invasion of her personal safety since she could have been home or taking a nap. The money definitely was NOT the issue.
I haven't seen this posted yet and not to upset your neighbor further but if the burglars got some "nice stuff" they very well might return in 30-60s days. This is about the time they figure it takes to replace what was stolen.

That's what happened to us several years ago. House was broken into when we were 2blks away at a neighborhood party. They came in through a back window that was cracked open (late summer). Got a nice haul with my computer and my husband's expensive jewelry.

Two months later they were back when we were out of town for Thanksgiving. I had a bad feeling so I hid my good jewelry in a really odd location. This time they broke through the French door in the back yard. The only thing they stole was a painting :? . We assume they took that one because it was in the fanciest frame. We actually had some valuable ones but the frames were a lot simpler. LL and we split the cost of the film and didn't have any problems after that but I suspect it was more due to them not getting much of a haul the second go around.

AkwardDoct@rd

Post by AkwardDoct@rd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm

I installed these after a few recent break ins...
https://armorconcepts.com/

UpstateNY86

Post by UpstateNY86 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:57 am

Who do you call for the reinforced strike plates on the doors?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am

Our 95# pit mix looks like a killer, until you see her wagging tail and affectionate posture. I wonder, though, if she could sense the evil intentions of an intruder. I would not want a dog like her angry or feeling that the family she loves was in danger. Her bark is impressive :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:31 am

AkwardDoct@rd wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm
I installed these after a few recent break ins...
https://armorconcepts.com/
Nice stuff. The door armor is similar to what I had made custom. I had really good doors so I wasn't worried about them splitting. I think the reinforcement plates are probably overkill. The weak point is definitely the fact that your deadbolt goes into the trim, not the wall. Anything you can do to get that deadbolt going into a steel plate anchored to a wall stud will be good.

I put my steel plates in the door frame during the build of the house before the trim went on. I just had a welder cut out the holes for the deadbolts. It sounds like this product has multiple punch outs over a spread of a foot or so to let you center up the hole with the deadbolt. Sounds convenient for something put on after the fact.

I moved and have nothing in the house I'm in now. It's typical spec home shoddy construction.

Did this stuff install easy? I'm not really a Handy Andy kind of guy.

rodpumpman

Post by rodpumpman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 am

I have used SimpliSafe for three years and are very happy. Two of my sons also use it. No contract and no wires. Most homes can be DIY in one hour.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:06 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am
Our 95# pit mix looks like a killer, until you see her wagging tail and affectionate posture. I wonder, though, if she could sense the evil intentions of an intruder. I would not want a dog like her angry or feeling that the family she loves was in danger. Her bark is impressive :D
My German Shepherd would never make a sound when I got home. I would usually see her stick her head through the blinds when I was a few houses away so she knew the sound of my car. She was always friendly with visitors and a few people I trusted to dog sit, but they were introduced to the dog while I was there. Then one night I decide to go to the local church festival and walked there since I would have to park off site anyway. When I got back home and opened the door an inch I was greeted with a ferocious snarling mass of GSD teeth right in my face (she was standing on the arm of the couch right inside the front door). She stopped and gave the confused head tilt as to say "where the hell is your car?". I'm confident anyone else would have slammed the door and run.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:14 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am
I've handled many, many dogs whose backgrounds I did not know (rescues). I never relied upon tail wagging as a clue to their disposition. I watch for the hackles to come up, mouth/teeth activity, and the way their ears are turned (ears are breed specific for clues).
I think her bark in and of itself, would cause a burglar to move on.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 am

Swansea wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm
A good lock or strong door frame doesn't matter if there is glass withing reaching distance of the lock itself. The glass can be broken and the intruder can reach around to unlock it.

Cameras won't help catch a thief unless you recognize the person. But a camera in plain view with a sticker on the door warning someone that they are under video surveillance is probably a good deterrent.

Going straight for the bedroom and jewelry is pretty standard. Thats what happened to us except they also took all of our cell phone chargers. Most electronics aren't worth much these days so If it doesn't fit in a backpack it probably wont be stolen.
I have deadbolt locks on doors there there is glass. The deadbolts can not be opened inside or outside, without a key. You can get them without the knobs.
That can be a concern in case of a fire - would you be able to find the keys to open the door to escape?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:24 am

Most doors, even with deadbolts, can easily be knocked in. Most door frames are a joke. It amazes me that people spend thousands on alarms and things yet their front door is so vulnerable. What I've seen more in other countries (and have one on my patio door), is a multi-point door lock. Not only is there a bolt that goes into the right side of the door frame (like any normal door would have), but sometimes they also go into the top of the frame and multiple places on the right side. Of course, the door frame itself and screws used on the hinges have to be good too.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 am

miamivice wrote:

Good insurance won't help protect your life.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 am
Yes, but the thread title is burglary, not home invasion. Although they have some similarities the risk factors for them are quite different.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 am

GCD wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Yes, but the thread title is burglary, not home invasion. Although they have some similarities the risk factors for them are quite different.
The topic I see says "suggestions for home security".....Insurance does nothing for your home security.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:33 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 am
GCD wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
The topic I see says "suggestions for home security".....Insurance does nothing for your home security.
OK, that's true. Insurance doesn't improve the security of the home. I took your statement wrong. I was thinking in terms of burglaries not being life threatening. Which they generally aren't. The thread title also starts with burglary and asks for security suggestions. Implying that they aren't concerned with home invasions, which would involve a threat to life.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 am

GCD wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:33 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
GCD wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
OK, that's true. Insurance doesn't improve the security of the home. I took your statement wrong. I was thinking in terms of burglaries not being life threatening. Which they generally aren't. The thread title also starts with burglary and asks for security suggestions. Implying that they aren't concerned with home invasions, which would involve a threat to life.
The line I highlighted and responded to said home security. You didn't quote that in your response....

"Best thing for home security is a good insurance policy, so any stolen items or home damage can be repaired at little cost."

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:57 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 am
GCD wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:33 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
GCD wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
The line I highlighted and responded to said home security. You didn't quote that in your response....

"Best thing for home security is a good insurance policy, so any stolen items or home damage can be repaired at little cost."
You win. :sharebeer
Last edited by GCD on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:58 am

Some good info in this thread. Some other things to consider is if you have an attached garage with a side access door, lots of times these are the point of entry for burglers. It's a less visible point of entry and if they knock and your not home, they will just go kick that door in instead. Many people leave the door between the house and the garage unlocked at night or during the day after they left for work. For the side door that you likely don't use very often, consider a 2x4 drop bar, it will be worlds stronger than any deadbolt. Amazon or a local big box store likely has the brackets, make sure you anchor it into studs with good screws/lags.

+1 on:
- making sure all the hinge and strike plate screws in any exterior doors are long and anchored well into studs.
- trim shrubs back so windows/etc are visible and not places to hide (consider roses/barberry, ouch!)
- LED exterior floods on all night long
- window coverings that don't allow people to see into your house easily. If you have Venetian style blinds be mindful of the direction/angle they are at. One way lets people see in easily, and if you rotate them the other way, they can't see in.
- if you get a safe, anchor it to the floor as designed, and don't put it in your garage.
- make sure if you have a sliding glass door out to a deck or the like that it is adjusted properly. They are extremely easy to just lift out of the track with a couple suction cups if the guide rollers aren't extended fully on the top.
- closet rod bracing bars for sliding doors/windows and make sure they are cut to fit tight! It does you no good if they can still slide the door open 3-4". Or slide a coat hanger between the slider and fixed pane (it's just a plastic flap there) and lift it out of the way.
- Upgrade your deadbolts/locks to a "bump resistant" version. If you don't know what that means, just go to youtube and look up "bump key". Cheap locks can be opened very easily! See above about the garage side door, easy place to bump a lock that no one would likely notice or hear.
- psychological deterrents like "I love my Doberman" signs, security sticker on the front door side window, a couple cameras by main doors help make the house less desireable
- Don't put a silly sign in the front that implies anything about having guns in the house, you have just increased the desirability of your house to become a break-in target! Most thieves are looking for cash, guns, jewelry, and small electronic stuff they can sell.
- Side note to the above, don't leave a lot of camo or blaze orange clothing easily visible (front door hooks, etc). If you like to hunt = you have guns. Once they know you're not home....
- don't leave your garage doors open all day long when you're home. You are advertising anything potentially desirable and even punk kids can be in and out of an open garage in less than a minute and walking off with something.

In the end all you can do is try to make your house the least desirable target. If you give them enough reasons to move on, hopefully they will.

UpstateNY86

Post by UpstateNY86 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Very good info in this thread. Should I call a locksmith to help secure the exterior doors?