Neighbor recently burglarized- Suggestions for home security

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HoosierJim

Neighbor recently burglarized- Suggestions for home security

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 am

Front door kicked/pushed in - luckily nobody home but was on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently thief(thieves) went straight to the bedroom and found jewelry. The rest of the house seemed untouched. Neighbor is older woman that lives alone is very upset and scared.

In priority order, what suggestions do you have for home security? - in this case it's a single family home (not condo /apartment - but suggestions welcome)
edit wrote:
I should be more clear - according to the neighbor the house was disturbed in small ways (didn't "toss" the house). Maybe their goal was to have the owner not notice right away since some people don't look at their jewelry daily. In this case the door damage was obvious but have heard of thieves entering unlocked back doors and the theft not discovered for days or weeks. Have also heard that thieves go right to standard hiding places for small valuable items.

Talking to my neighbor, she was more upset about strangers in her house and the invasion of her personal safety since she could have been home or taking a nap. The money definitely was NOT the issue.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

miamivice

Re: Neighbor recently burgalerized - Suggestions for home security

Post by miamivice » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am

Best thing for home security is a good insurance policy, so any stolen items or home damage can be repaired at little cost.

Next best option is to have lots of quality neighbors who have nosy stay at home wives (or husbands).

Another good option is to live in safe area where this type of thing is not common.

But of course none of those are what you are looking for. I have read online about 'beware of dog" signs, dog bowls on front porch, etc. Not sure how effective they are.

My favorite idea is to install a security sign out front of your house. You can buy them off eBay, and they look identical to the signs of the real security system. Almost everyone in my neighborhood has a sign, yet, I have never heard an alarm go off even accidently. I have a feeling that either no one sets the security alarm, or no one has them, but everyone has the signs.
Last edited by miamivice on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am

"Nosy" neighbors, preferably retired, are often the best security.

I saw one suggestion that the belief that there is a dog in the house - burglars will avoid it. Whether you have a dog or not, put out a dog bowl in clear view.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 am

Apparently thief(thieves) went straight to the bedroom and found jewelry.
Interesting.. Sounds, perhaps, like an "inside job" where the thieves knew about the jewelry.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 am

Your neighbor was likely targeted because she is an older woman who lives alone. She may have been hit by someone who worked in her home, e.g., a handyman, contractor, or lawn service person. It's also possible the thieves watched your neighborhood for some time before choosing her. Think about how they might have done that. Is there an area nearby, e.g., a wooded area or overgrown shrubbery, where they might have hidden and watched. If so, do what you can to remedy that situation.

Aside from that, the advice is to do the usual stuff to deter thieves: buy a dog, install cameras, install an alarm system (or at least post signs indicating you have an alarm system, whether you actually have one or not), ask the police to do more neighborhood patrols. Don't post one of those silly signs stating that you are armed, e.g., "this house protected by Smith & Wesson" etc. Homes with firearms inside are more likely to be burglarized, not less. So you don't want to advertise the fact that you have one.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 am

My MIL was broken into in such a fashion a while back. The police showed us her front door and door lock were an absolute joke. Need a door/door frame/bolt that are solid and strong. Look for the weakest point. Alarm company signage helps. Lights/tv's that come on/off. Huge dog.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 am

This does not sound like an inside job to me.

Jewelry is stored in the master bedroom in virtually every house. A thief spends very little time inside the house and goes to specific places where the thief is most likely going to find something of value.

Kicking the door is not a tactic of an inside job.

I also do not think you need the worry the lady to speculate that someone may have been watching for weeks. Nothing in the OP indicates that the house may have been staked. It sounds like a typical home burglary in my opinion.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 am

Advice I got from a cop in Chicago once after I told him I had ADT... "get a dog instead"... which we already had, but he said most burglars will just move onto another house that doesn't have a dog.

At our current house we have Arlo outdoor cameras. You can get it where there's an indoor 100 decibel siren as well.

Pretty economical and good piece of mind.

Here's 2 pics. 1 is camera in the garage and the other faces the only entrance to the property.

I have several others in key areas.
Here's 2 pics. 1 is camera in the garage and the other faces the only entrance to the property.

I have several others in key areas.

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/sha ... 0/SNAPFISH
Last edited by jehovasfitness on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:59 am

A lot of this is about what you want to pay for and live with. But reinforced strikeplates for deadbolts are comparatively inexpensive and will seriously slow down anybody trying to do door entry, so I think they're a great first step while you're figuring out what else you might want to do.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm

At increasing levels of security.

Security cameras with red blinking LED lights, every point of entry, front door, back door, etc.
This is amazingly effective. Nobody wants to be on camera.

Motion sensor Flood lights, all points of entry and also each side of the house.
Deadbolt locks on all exterior doors. Including door access from garage to home. Also strike plates and non pry shields.
Pin locks on all windows and sliding doors. Especially sliding doors. Dowels or rods in the track.
Security lockable screen doors if you have one. Front and Back door. So double secure.

A few automatic light timers, inexpensive, that turn lights on in the house when you are not home. Different one's go on and off at different times to mimic a routine. Can use desk and floor lamps.

Intrusion alarms at exterior door points of entry.

Fence around the home with electric gate with key code entry.
A dog with access to the fenced area around the home.
An electric fence zapper on top of the fence to keep the dog from jumping over the fence, also discourages intruders.
A neighborhood watch sign in front and back on the fence.
A private property keep out sign on front and back of the fence.
Small floodlights on each corner of the house that stay on at night, though depends where you live as it can bother the neighbors.

Depending on where you live and what state, a keep out sign with a drawing of an AR-15 is humorous as well as applicable. (joke)
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm

deleted
Last edited by jehovasfitness on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 am
Apparently thief(thieves) went straight to the bedroom and found jewelry.
Interesting.. Sounds, perhaps, like an "inside job" where the thieves knew about the jewelry.

I should be more clear - according to the neighbor the house was disturbed in small ways (didn't "toss" the house). Maybe their goal was to have the owner not notice right away since some people don't look at their jewelry daily. In this case the door damage was obvious but have heard of thieves entering unlocked back doors and the theft not discovered for days or weeks. Have also heard that thieves go right to standard hiding places for small valuable items.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Remember the joke about the two guys coming across a hungry bear? You don't have to run quicker than the bear, just quicker than the other guy.

Make your house harder to burglarize than others nearby. Security doors all around. Pin the hinges. Or add a second (metal screen security) door in front of the entry door. Deadbolts. Secure windows and sliding doors, both the usual latch and a dowel cut to length placed in the track.

Good lighting and good visibility. Trim hedges, eliminate hiding places.

Alarms are fine, but probably the best part is your yard sign announcing you have an alarm. Won't always work though, a quick hit like the one described would not have police there in time to do anything.

Contact local police outreach department for more suggestions, this is usually something they are more than happy to help with.
Semper Augustus

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm
camera pictures
What resolution camera do you need to get this quality of picture. How does it look at night?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:11 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm
jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm
camera pictures
What resolution camera do you need to get this quality of picture. How does it look at night?
Look online. 1080 is fine for security cameras. You can hook them up to your wifi and they will relay images to your cell phone. Infared models also "see" at night.They will record images 24/7. Movies.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camillus

Post by camillus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Host a block party & get to know your neighbors. This will decrease your anxiety and increase your safety. Win win.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Arlo Pro is 720p, but the newest one Pro 2 is 1080p which both of the above are.

That said, the night vision quality is 100x better on the Pro version 1, and the quality of daytime pic isn't that much worse than the 1080.

Here's a night video clip screenshot. The camera is about 30 feet from the back of the house. This is the Pro 2, where the pro 1 is better at night.

recheck the link I just uploaded a new pic
https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/sha ... 0/SNAPFISH

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:15 pm

One thing to check are the screws on your exterior door hinges and lock strike plates. A while ago there was a news report discussing this and kicked in doors. It compelled me to check our own, contractor grade screws where only about 3/4", only into the door frame and not house frame. Was somewhat scary to see. I replaced with much longer screws (~3.5in) that went well into the house frame. One word of caution, it not well shimmed, it may alter your door frame, pulling it to a larger size.

My theory is that common burglars are lazy, make it difficult for them to get in, and have some security elements (cameras, dogs, lights, etc). They will move to an easier target in most cases, have more appearance of security than your neighbors. If they are determined to get in, really can't stop them.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm

A good lock or strong door frame doesn't matter if there is glass withing reaching distance of the lock itself. The glass can be broken and the intruder can reach around to unlock it.

Cameras won't help catch a thief unless you recognize the person. But a camera in plain view with a sticker on the door warning someone that they are under video surveillance is probably a good deterrent.

Going straight for the bedroom and jewelry is pretty standard. Thats what happened to us except they also took all of our cell phone chargers. Most electronics aren't worth much these days so If it doesn't fit in a backpack it probably wont be stolen.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:19 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Here's a night video clip screenshot. The camera is about 30 feet from the back of the house. This is the Pro 2, where the pro 1 is better at night.
Is there any additional lighting used for your night shot or is this the light the camera provides or "sees"?

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:23 pm

the cameras have their own IR lights that help at night.

I think that's why the Pro 1 is better at night than the Pro 2, for some reason the IR lights on the Pro 2 just aren't as good maybe.

If I leave a porch light on, it helps a ton, but I'd rather not leave lights on

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Sell anything worth stealing. Wear the expensive jewelry. All my wife's jewelry is cheap, except the 2.5ct engagement ring, but that is insured. Personally, I think security systems are just one more doo-dad to shop for / distract us from what is important.

We have many break ins in our neighborhood, but I'd never go down the path of a security system. We did have one bike stolen from within our garage a couple years ago, so I do now engage the Dutch lock after parking in the garage.

I should clarify that we also have a series of floodlights. Most break ins in our neighborhood are during the day and via kicked in rear door.
Last edited by Cycle on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm

You need a dog at home. Any hitech company makes robot dogs?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Have fake jewelry at home, let them steal and find out it’s not worth their trouble. In short, keep nothing of significant value at home, except in my case, it’s a large baby grand piano.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

+1 for Arlo Pro2. Also, check out an alarm company. A noisy alarm plus the company's rapid response may be the best deterrent.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:32 pm
Have fake jewelry at home, let them steal and find out it’s not worth their trouble. In short, keep nothing of significant value at home, except in my case, it’s a large baby grand piano.
The only thing I'd be upset about would be my 1928 studio upright with ivory keys, but getting that down the stairs requires straps and two linebackers

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm
A good lock or strong door frame doesn't matter if there is glass withing reaching distance of the lock itself. The glass can be broken and the intruder can reach around to unlock it.

Cameras won't help catch a thief unless you recognize the person. But a camera in plain view with a sticker on the door warning someone that they are under video surveillance is probably a good deterrent.

Going straight for the bedroom and jewelry is pretty standard. Thats what happened to us except they also took all of our cell phone chargers. Most electronics aren't worth much these days so If it doesn't fit in a backpack it probably wont be stolen.
I have deadbolt locks on doors there there is glass. The deadbolts can not be opened inside or outside, without a key. You can get them without the knobs.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Live in a small house without keeping expensive items - keep gold in bank locker. Pretty sure that bogleheads dont showcase assets that will draw attention.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Security cameras with red blinking LED lights, every point of entry, front door, back door, etc.

Motion sensor Flood lights, all points of entry and also each side of the house.

Deadbolt locks on all exterior doors. Including door access from garage to home. Also strike plates and non pry shields.
Pin locks on all windows and sliding doors. Especially sliding doors. Dowels or rods in the track.
Security lockable screen doors if you have one. Front and Back door. So double secure.

A few automatic light timers, inexpensive, that turn lights on in the house when you are not home. Different one's go on and off at different times to mimic a routine. Can use desk and floor lamps.

An electric fence zapper on top of the fence to keep the dog from jumping over the fence, also discourages intruders.
Small floodlights on each corner of the house that stay on at night, though depends where you live as it can bother the neighbors.

Depending on where you live and what state, a keep out sign with a drawing of an AR-15 is humorous as well as applicable. (joke)
How much does it take, on average, to install these items?

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:57 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 am
In priority order, what suggestions do you have for home security? - in this case it's a single family home (not condo /apartment - but suggestions welcome)
- Leave car parked in driveway, indicating someone is home.
- Some small sight on front door saying like "please don't knock/ring doorbell - we don't answer for people we don't know." There are tons of cases where someone walks up as a door to door sales person, etc. and if someone answers, they pitch something bogus. If nobody answers, they go around back and kick in the door.
- Deadbolt if you don't currently have.
- Longer striker plate and door hinge screws - min. 3' and regular screws, not sheetrock.
- Alarm system
- Security film over all windows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maph1a2qFf4)
- For night security, light up the front of your house. I added soffit lighting and my entire house is illuminated, plus is looks good.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Options:

1. What I currently have.
Dog
Couple of Ring cameras appropriately positioned on front and back of house.
Personal security device with hollow points bedside.

2. What I might consider
Simply Safe security system in addition to above

3. Last ditch - monitored professional security system

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:41 pm

You want to encourage someone looking to break in to move to another house.

Motion lights help with that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Swansea wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm
barnaclebob wrote:

I have deadbolt locks on doors there there is glass. The deadbolts can not be opened inside or outside, without a key. You can get them without the knobs.
Have fun in a fire...

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:46 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
There's relatively inexpensive shatterproof film you can put on glass to reinforce it.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
let them steal and find out it’s not worth their trouble. In short, keep nothing of significant value at home
Talking to my neighbor, she was more upset about strangers in her house and the invasion of her personal safety since she could have been home or taking a nap. The money definitely was NOT the issue.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am
"Nosy" neighbors, preferably retired, are often the best security.
I agree with this, although it's easier to install a camera/light system than to somehow get a nosy neighbor to move in next door, if you don't already have one. :D

We have a couple of guys down the street from us that appeared to always be working on their cars. It wasn't super obvious, but with the garage door always open, I finally figured out that they're got to be running a business. Which I'm certain is not permitted in our neighborhood. My first thought was, Do I want a car-repair business on my residential street? My second thought was, we're on a dead-end street, & you have to drive past them to get to our house...I think I like this idea. So I'll be the last person to call city zoning on them.

Of course, it's all fun & games until they start parking the cars on their lawn... :shock:

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

1. Dog
2. Anti-break film on the glass
3. Strikemaster 2 on all the exterior doors--this prevents kick in's. It reinforces the jam, and the hinges.
4. Retired neighbor that likes to make sure everything is as it should be.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
let them steal and find out it’s not worth their trouble. In short, keep nothing of significant value at home
I absolutely understand. This is why I don’t open my door to anybody, between my husband and I, we are no match to anybody. I do have a neighbor who stays at home full time and she does pay attention to our house. One time we went to Las Vegas, the wind blew open our garage door, she later mentioned it to us. So the next time we were away, we put a lock on our garage.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Anti-break film

How easy is this to self-install? Does it change the appearance of the glass in any noticeable way?

I'd be interested in this primarily for some sidelight windows next to a main door. I would like to reduce the chances of a "break sidelight, reach around to unlock door" approach...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm
Swansea wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
Have fun in a fire...
I understand that keyed deadbolts inside are a violation of fire codes - even if you leave the key in.

I view fire as a bigger risk to my safety than intruders.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Swansea wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
Have fun in a fire...
I understand that keyed deadbolts inside are a violation of fire codes - even if you leave the key in.

I view fire as a bigger risk to my safety than intruders.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:45 pm

1. Don't have any tall shrubs, fences or walls criminals can hide behind.
2. Grow spiky thorny plants under the windows.
3. Have a gravel strip with loose sharp rocks around the perimeter of the house. Noisy! especially at night.
4. If you use outdoor lighting to deter crime, point the lights toward the house to create large shadows on the walls and windows. Criminals don't want to be noticed.
5. A dog bowl or a large dog house in the backyard.
6. We had neighbors that who kept flocks of geese and peahens to deter trespassers. This might not work for everybody.
7. Know your neighbors. In our old neighborhood we had a crack house next door. We made sure the occupants knew we were on to them and it was just a matter of time. They stayed on their side of the fence and so did their friends.

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Swansea wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:

Have fun in a fire...
That is why you leave the key close enough to the door for easy exit but far enough away so that a person on the outside cannot access.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm

How much does it take, on average, to install these items?
Amazon.com
YouTube home security cameras setup.😎

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm

41Fin wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Swansea wrote:
Have fun in a fire...
That is why you leave the key close enough to the door for easy exit but far enough away so that a person on the outside cannot access.
Until you drop it and kick it across the room while in a panic trying to open the door in a smoke filled room after being woken up in the middle of the night by your smoke detectors.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:54 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm
I don't know what a robot dog is but my MIL lived next door to a lady that had a recording of a dog barking that went off automatically. This was in a condo building with traffic along the pathway that must have set the dog off dozens of times a day. Not sure how it worked for the neighbor but my dear MIL never had a robbery...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 pm

1. Either insure the jewelry or place it in a safe deposit box at a bank.
2. A quality deadbolt with a reinforced strike plate would help, but any determined thief would just go through a window or break a glass door if there is one.
3. Home Alarm system or a dog could both help. However, one school of thought says most of the protection comes from the deterrence value. A beware of dog sign or ADT sign might be almost as effective as owning the dog or having a home alarm system. A dog is a lot of work, almost like adopting a kid. I would get a dog only if you wanted a dog, not just for the home protection value.
4. Home safes, although a UL TR/TL rated safe can easily exceed the value of whatever you're trying to protect.

whomever

Post by whomever » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 pm

However, one school of thought says most of the protection comes from the deterrence value.
What I want the alarm to do is to put time pressure on the burglar. One it triggers, he has no way to know if the police will arrive in two hours (because it's a busy day and alarms are a low priority call) or two minutes (because it's a slow day a patrol car just happens to be a block away).

That time pressure has a lot of benefits - he won't have time to go to the basement, retrieve tools, and attack the safe, so a light duty safe might actually work. He'll have less time to search for whatever valuables I've hidden, etc.

We had neighbors where one gentleman broke in and spent a couple hours carefully selecting the loot and stacking it neatly just inside the garage door. Then he called accomplices in a van. Another neighbor immediately called 911 when the van backed up and they started loading, but with 4 guys loading they were gone in under a minute. An alarm puts a crimp in that kind of operation.

(as an aside on the door with window/deadbolt issue - we have one of those, and my wife likes it, so I can't replace with a no-glass door. I mounted a second deadbolt, so there is the normal twist knob lock, one deadbolt that needs a key from both sides, and one deadbolt that needs a key from outside but just has a flip lever on the inside. When leaving the house, we lock the keyed-both-sides one. When we're home we leave that unlocked and use the flip-the-lever one.)

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:28 pm

S&L1940 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:54 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm
I don't know what a robot dog is but my MIL lived next door to a lady that had a recording of a dog barking that went off automatically. This was in a condo building with traffic along the pathway that must have set the dog off dozens of times a day. Not sure how it worked for the neighbor but my dear MIL never had a robbery...
This is actually a good idea. Perhaps, I should think it’s helpful to get a sign, beware of voracious dog.
I grow a lot of spikey rose climbers around my property for a reason. Climb the fence, you will get scratch, it might not deter true criminal, but they may leave DNA evidence.