Should I join my local Freemasons?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
john4546

Should I join my local Freemasons?

Post by john4546 »

Should I join my local Freemasons? Pros and cons? Would it help me with business contacts/opportunities (I'm also an entrepreneur)? Is it worth it or just a waste of time? Any dangers?

Are then any Bogleheads who are also Freemasons?

Please advise me.

Thanks.
spectec

Re: Should I join my local Freemasons?

Post by spectec »

I was a member for many years.
For me, it was a waste of time and resources over meaningless rituals.
So I terminated my membership. (They call it a "demit")
YMMV.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
stan1

Post by stan1 »

It's entirely a local question. I grew up in a small town and membership in "fraternal" organizations such as the Lions, Optimists, or Masons was definitely a "thing" but that was years ago. Now most have recast themselves as service organizations and not "fraternal" organizations as in the past. I don't hear about these organizations in the large metro area where I now live. If you are joining for professional contacts you'd want to make sure the people you want to make contact with are also members.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

As stan1 said, it's a local issue, but you might be better off joining the local Chamber of Commerce if there is one. An organization like Rotary International or International Exchange Club might be helpful but maybe not so much if you are doing it primarily for business purposes. In any case, being active is important.

If you look at the Wikipedia articles on each organization you are considering, you can get a pretty good idea of their general mission and focus.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

john4546 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:48 pm Should I join my local Freemasons? Pros and cons? Would it help me with business contacts/opportunities (I'm also an entrepreneur)? Is it worth it or just a waste of time? Any dangers?

Please advise me.

Thanks.
Take up golf. Don't have to be good at it.
Join the businessman's league, etc.
Golf attracts money and vs vs.
More deals and solid contacts are done on a golf course than others combined.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:34 pm
john4546 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:48 pm Should I join my local Freemasons? Pros and cons? Would it help me with business contacts/opportunities (I'm also an entrepreneur)? Is it worth it or just a waste of time? Any dangers?

Please advise me.

Thanks.
That definitely was the case in the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s, but is seems much less so now.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

john4546 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:48 pm Would it help me with business contacts/opportunities (I'm also an entrepreneur)?
I'm not a Freemason but am a member of another fraternal organization. If I was looking to make business contacts, I would find a different way. Fraternal organizations just don't seem to be diverse enough to make the kind of contacts you are seeking. Personally when I moved to this area, I started going to business/local government events like ribbon cuttings, grand openings, etc and just started shaking hands and talking. It wasn't long before opportunities were being offered my way and before I knew it I was on local government committees and on the school board. Along the way I have gathered up contacts from just about everyone who is a mover and a shaker in this area.

In rural America these days, trying to attract new businesses to town is a big deal and just about every county seat I know has someone in charge of doing so. Our town has a business lunch meeting several times a year where business owners and entrepreneurs get together to stay informed. I would look online to see if your area has something similar.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

deleted
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (joining an organization).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy »

I'm not a member, but know one. My outside impression is they focus a lot on charity. If you're just interested in the business angle, it may not be a good fit.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I might be good idea if you want a closer connection to a Nicolas Cage movie, or if you're really lucky, Tom Hanks. It's just a matter of time until one of those guys covers it.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Freemasonry does not want people to join to further their business interests. If you tell them that is why you want to join they will not admit you. In rural areas most of the Lodges have membership and financial difficulties. Near the big cities, the Lodges are more viable.

If you are primarily interested in expanding your business connections, you'd be better off joining the Rotary Club or something.

Freemasonry places more emphasis on spirituality and improving oneself as a person. Probably why it's no longer popular.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

No. Do not.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

All I ever hear in my head is the stonecutters song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpOjj4YD8c
OU812?

Post by OU812? »

If your sole interest in becoming a Freemason is to make business contacts, then no, don't pursue it further. Masonry is not a social organization and it is not a charity, it is as much of a life philosophy than anything in that it teaches you to live a more moral and upright life. If this sounds cultish or self serving then, again, don't pursue it--join the Rotary Club. The very fact that this question was asked in a financial investment forum points to little understanding of what Freemasonry is, as well as what it isn't....
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Freemasons have a long and sordid history of prejudice and racism against certain groups, however they might whitewash the history. While I don't know anything about them today (of course, they may have completely revised themselves) I'd steer far clear of them myself. I've never personally met anyone in my area under the age of 65 who was a mason. They appear to be a dying breed, again at least here.
sambb

Post by sambb »

OldSport wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:34 pm

Please advise me.

Thanks.
That definitely was the case in the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s, but is seems much less so now.
golf is very "last century" for deals. none of my c suite colleagues play. instead, social media is helpful.
DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 »

This post reminds me of the exchange in the move The Player. Two Hollywood hotshots:

Larry Levy: I'll be there right after my AA meeting.
Griffin Mill: Oh Larry, I didn't realize you had a drinking problem.
Larry Levy: Well I don't really, but that's where all the deals are being made these days.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Here is a piece of absurd music trivia. John Entwistle, the Who's late bass player, was a Freemason.

From his Wikipedia page....
"One aspect of Entwistle's life emerged after his death that came as a surprise even to those closest to him, including the members of the Who. "It wasn't until the day of his funeral that I discovered that he'd spent most of his life as a Freemason," said Pete Townshend."
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

Joining your local Chamber of Commerce would be a better option
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

It has a long history but has rituals and secrecy that raise questions in the minds of some. It does not recruit, and you must ask to become a member according to a friend who is a member. He reports some rather unlikely things about the influence its members have nationally. Basically, it can be controversial, but many people have views that are not universally held. If your business interests are ones that do have some controversy around them, such as one that sells products related to climate change, then aligning with contacts supporting that issue may be wise. If your interests are broader and appeal to most everyone, such as running a restaurant, than something like Rotary, Kiwanis, etc. could be a wiser choice by avoiding possible controversy.

Tim
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

My father was heavily involved in the masons. I spent many many nights home alone with my mother during my childhood while he was out at mason things. Huge source of resentment. I have nothing nice to say about the organization.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Limoncello402 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:43 am Freemasons have a long and sordid history of prejudice and racism against certain groups, ...
Historically including, and perhaps especially, Catholics.

(Disclosure: I am a practicing Catholic.)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Just stumbled across this story WRT their decline in membership:

"Harrisburg Shriners cited a sharp drop in membership when they put the building on the market. The group had about 20,000 members 20 years ago but just over 2,100 last year."

http://abc27.com/2018/01/29/harrisburgs ... nter-sold/
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

samsoes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am
Limoncello402 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:43 am Freemasons have a long and sordid history of prejudice and racism against certain groups, ...

Hmm, then again, the Catholics weren't so hot on the Freemasons either...
novillero

Post by novillero »

FireProof wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pm

As a practicing Catholic myself, you are subject to automatic excommunication by joining or supporting the Freemasons.
clown

Post by clown »

I have been a Freemason for 32 years. In my view, it is an outstanding organization. The purpose is to make good men into better men.

If you are interested in the business aspect ONLY, pass. Masonry is specifically not designed to establish or expand business contacts.

On the night of initiation into a California lodge, you would be asked if you desire to join "uninfluenced by friends and unbiased by mercenary motives." I assume the language is similar outside California. The message is clear and right upfront.

It is true that some Masons desire to do business with other Masons because they know they can trust them -- but the organization does not exist for business purposes.

Side note - I note that a prior post refers to meaningless rituals. If one thinks about and seriously ponders the ritual, and takes the effort to actually understand the ancient language and its meaning when written (as opposed to merely hearing with 2018 ears), there is a lot to be learned. The often used phrase is "wise and serious truths," but it takes serious effort to go below the surface.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

clown wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 pm I have been a Freemason for 32 years. In my view, it is an outstanding organization. The purpose is to make good men into better men.
Using a clown as their PR spokesman was a questionable move. ;)
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

azurekep wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 pm
clown wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 pm I have been a Freemason for 32 years. In my view, it is an outstanding organization. The purpose is to make good men into better men.
Using a clown as their PR spokesman was a questionable move. ;)
Perhaps you're not aware of the symbolism of the clown, the jester, the joker, the fool? In elizabethan times, for instance, the court jester (clown) was the only one who could tell the King the truth without getting his head lobbed off.

The fool is the first card in the tarot deck and while most modern card decks have a joker, they're not always disregarded. In some games, the joker is a very desired card. Think about why that might be.

Again, you might want to look at names/symbols, etc. through the lens of older (universal) archetypes...and not with 2018 eyes. Much lies beneath the surface.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
FraggleRock

no

Post by FraggleRock »

You should join [name redacted as you have no need to know] as they control everything.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

FireProof wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Samsoes, your comment is genuinely ironic since Catholics have a far longer history of persecuting outsider groups than the Freemasons! That's a historical fact - some books that have covered this include Robert Moore's The Formation of a Persecuting Society. It's one of the classic works - not a "fun" read but extremely informative. Cheers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.