Keeping a new BMW shiny!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
yetanotherboglehead

Keeping a new BMW shiny!

Post by yetanotherboglehead » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 am

Got a new BMW yesterday. Naturally, I want to keep it shiny and clean for as long as possible :happy. While, I will get it detailed for any major cleanup, this is mainly for regular cleanup/maintenance that I can do on my own. What do you use to keep your BMW shiny and clean? Specific product recommendations, dos/don'ts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Swansea

Re: Keeping a new BMW shiny!

Post by Swansea » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 pm

I use Turtle Wax Carnauba paste. For the wheels, Sonax spray. Interior is treated with Lexol:cleaner, protectant, and vinyl.
Always test any new product in a small, out-of-the-way spot.
Consider joining Bimmerfest.com and see what others use. There are lots of opinions.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Here's a relevant old topic: viewtopic.php?t=216317

For the best, deepest shine, true carnauba is the only way. However, it lasts but a few months at best and can be difficult to apply. The average person who just likes a clean car is going to want a high-quality sealant which will make future washes easy and less time-consuming. For that, I'm smitten by Griot's Poly Wax. Affordable, easy to apply, even easier to remove, and lasts a year or longer even when parked in the sun.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

techrover

Post by techrover » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Look into paint sealants such as - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AG ... UTF8&psc=1
Although there is a process to apply this - wash, shampoo, dry, sealant. For new cars, no need to do clay which makes this process easy.
For leather seats - leather protectant like - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... UTF8&psc=1

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 pm

The best way to keep your BMW shiny is to get a new one every 3 years. :beer

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 pm

The best advice is to keep it in the garage if you have one. Morning dew is acidic. If you do not have a garage hit the top with hose before leaving in the morning

tacster

Post by tacster » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I use Optimum No Rinse for regular cleanup on my new 330i. Much quicker and easier process than soap and water, works great and does not scratch the paint. Before waxing your car the first time it should be decontaminated with Iron-X and clay barred to remove the crud that accumulated on the paint during transit from the factory and while sitting on the dealer's lot. If you're having it detailed they should do that. Enjoy the new Bimmer, I really like mine.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Grab a Porter Cable 7424XP (or similar from Griot's etc).

Make sure to clay bar.

Polish and then seal.

Don't park near anyone in a parking lot. Keep it in the garage when possible - best case is covered work and home parking.

Gort

Post by Gort » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:34 pm

A Boglehead with a new BMW? Heresy! What color? :)

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

I use Maguires wash, good product.

2 bucket method with grit guards. Use plenty of water. Do not wash using a swirling motion, make as few passes as needed to clean car. (less is more!)

Dry vehicle with microfiber towels.

Lots of detailing videos on youtube.

Chemical Guys have some good products but they are expensive.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

nicad2000

Post by nicad2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm

I use Collinite #845 carnauba wax on my BMW. Not well advertised, so the price is still very reasonable. The results look great and I only have to apply it 2-3 times a year since my car is garaged. Made in USA is also a plus. If you use this stuff and the two bucket wash method there shouldn't be any need for orbital buffers and the like. For more tips, you might want to check out the detailing forum at bimmerfest.com.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:00 pm

whcih bmw? hope it is awesome - have owned several, loved all of them, rarely had a problem

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Paint deteriorates faster with exposure to ultraviolet radiation.

When possible, park it in the shade - home garage or carport, parking garage or covered parking at work, under trees (not if there's a bunch of bird droppings or tree sap in the parking spot :P )

Wash and wax every so often - your choice of carnauba (deeper gloss) or a synthetic sealant (more durable.)

Or you could do both - carnauba over sealant.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 pm
The best advice is to keep it in the garage
This

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:00 pm

I try to keep it out of the sun and keep it garaged as much as possible. After paint correction (clay, wash, polish) I just apply a ceramic coating like Cquartz https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Cquartz-3 ... ds=cquartz. This should last a year. There are newer ceramic coatings that may work better, but this is what I used last year and it is still holding up. I'm also careful about washing my cars you can damage a cars paint by washing and drying incorrectly. For the interior I just wipe it down with a damp micro fiber cloth every week (especially the steering wheel).

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm

I think he's way over the top in terms of the products he uses (and definitely not boglehead friendly in terms of cost) but i do like following the obsessed garage YouTube channel to see how a real enthusiast does it

I pick and choose what works for me (e.g. A $99 pressure washer instead of a $1500+ pressure washer)

cantos

Post by cantos » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Had a beemer for 6 years. Didn't do anything special (northeast north america, snow, etc) other than once a year spring detailing for $100. Thought it always looked good. Silver was/is the best car for those babies.

inverter

Post by inverter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWmtLSQYbys) is a great overview of how to wash your car. Larry Kosilla is the man.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

One thing that people constantly misunderstand is "Waxing" their car. Most people assume that "waxing" their car is going to do some miracle work on their paint. Without getting into much detail, here is what I know.

#1 Washing your car-The soap you use to clean your car has less to do with cleaning and more to do with providing lubrication so that the dirty mit you use to clean doesn't create scrapes and swirl marks in your paint. Do everything you can to keep the tool your using to clean your car clean. Once you have your car right where you want it, try to stay away from car washes. The high pressure water will remove your protectant a lot faster. DON'T USE DAWN OR ANY DISHWASH SOAP UNLES YOU WANT TO REMOVE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PAINT!

#2 Once it's clean you should learn about using tools like clay bars and polish. This is the process that actually makes your paint look good. A lot of people assume they are doing this when they "wax" their car,they usually are not. They are usually putting paint protection over top an untreated paint.

#3 Here is the process where you actually "wax" your car. This is also called sealant. There are a million options here. Once again, keep everything super clean because that paint that you just cleaned up can be messed up again by dirty equipment. I keep my cars inside but I usually do this whole 3 stage process a couple times a year. You can usually see when you need to do step 3 when your paint doesn't have those tight water beads. Step 2 can be a pretty easy process once you have your car in good shape.

There are a million different ways to do it but this has been what has worked for me over the past 25+ years. I have friends that had a Honda Pilot for 13 years and 200k miles and had never had 2 or 3 done but still looked really good. Their secret was that they washed it quite a bit (touchless) and kept it in the garage. A lot has to do with how much time/money you want to spend and how you use the car. I spend a lot less effort on my Acura RDX than I did on the Nissan 350z I had.

Also, if you use a automatic car wash with brushes, just ignore everything I said above and just live with knowing that your paint is going to be crap.

ad2007

Post by ad2007 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 am

They give complimentary car washes. The showroom typically is not a bad place to wait. The coffee, pastries, ice cream, sodas are "free" - meaning you paid for it already with the purchase of the car. Take advantage of it.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:45 am

Minimize *anything* touching the finish of the vehicle. Improper washing even done by hand (and never via brushed automatic car washes) will put the swirl marks and scratches on the car. This is just physics.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:54 am

Myself and all my car buddies use products from Griot's Garage and/or Zaino. Use of a high quality car cover to be used anytime the car is not being driven helps A LOT. If your car is a daily driver keeping it REALLY clean by hand is a huge task............ Good luck, would be interested in hearing what path you take.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm

yetanotherboglehead wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 am
Got a new BMW yesterday. Naturally, I want to keep it shiny and clean for as long as possible :happy. While, I will get it detailed for any major cleanup, this is mainly for regular cleanup/maintenance that I can do on my own. What do you use to keep your BMW shiny and clean? Specific product recommendations, dos/don'ts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Don't drive it. :D

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Would a BMW need a cleaner that should not be used on any other make? :P

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Keep it waxed, hand wash it every weekend, clay bar once or twice a year. Avoid drive-through washes. This will give you a fingertip feel for every square inch of your car and you'll be acutely aware of any blemishes of the trim and finish.

I like Meguirars quick detailing spray to do touch-ups and spot cleaning.

One thing I notice is after the first ding or scrape, it's hard to stay motivated to keep the car clean. So with that in mind I'll tend to park far away from full size trucks, SUVs, jacked up off-roaders, hoopties or beater cars that can't park straight in their parking spot.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner

:happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Just don't buy a black one and you should be fine. Silver is the best in my experience. White is good too.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Neighbor is a car guy (Porsche and 3 BMWs), so I asked him for advice when I bought our new Lexus .... He turned me on to Griott's Garage products. So, that's what I use. I hand wash. A couple of times I've used a touchless car wash. Using a touch car wash is not recommended.

Two years and 45k miles and it still looks brand new.

Oh ya, I park far away from every other car everywhere I go.

Have fun.