April in Paris - Your favorites or suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JMKEBogleGuy

April in Paris - Your favorites or suggestions?

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 pm

HI Bogleheads - you are all so helpful and I thought I would ask....

I am heading to Paris in the second half of April 2018 for 10 days. I found a flight for $441 to Paris so all good! I have a hotel by the Luxembourg Gardens on the Left Bank. I will visit some museums, walk all over the city, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc etc etc. I would like to take a one day tour out of Paris to visit some Cathedrals if possible (do you know of something to suggest?) I also saw a cheese tour in Paris that looked interesting. I will be alone so I can plan whatever I want. What tips and suggestions do you have? What was your favorite things? What about tickets etc? Should I buy before? Any tour companies you would recommend?

Thanks one and all for all your suggestions!

noco-hawkeye

Re: April in Paris - Your favorites or suggestions?

Post by noco-hawkeye » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Maybe Versailles for your trip out of the city? All your items sound awesome. Enjoy your trip! :sharebeer

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 pm

noco-hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm
Maybe Versailles for your trip out of the city? All your items sound awesome. Enjoy your trip! :sharebeer
I second Versailles. The city and the palace are fantastic and I highly recommend it.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Versailles is so over the top...that you must see :)

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 pm

I would take a day trip to the Monet Garden in Giverny, 90 minutes from Paris by train.

TravelforFun

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Don't miss Sainte-Chapelle since you will almost certainly be right there anyway.

http://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en/

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

If you’ve got 10 days...

Picasso Museum
Victor Hugo’s Apartment and Place des Vosges
Parc Monceau
Camondo Museum
Jacquemart-Andre Museum
A concert or opera at Garnier
A day trip to Giverny
Go to the Louvre at night on Wed and stay until they kick you out

And don’t do too much on any day.

siamond

Post by siamond » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 pm

I second the ideas of Versailles and Giverny, two wonderful outings. If you really want to see another cathedral, then go to Orleans, there is a high-speed train bringing you there real fast, lots of history happened out there.

Your hotel location is perfect. Don't rent a car, public transportation works very well, plus yes, do walk around a good deal (with a destination in mind, or just aimlessly). Check the Catacombs if that's your thing (certainly impressive), just book in advance. Otherwise, plenty of museums, historical houses, churches, landmarks, the list is so long, it's hard to give advice, better buy a guide and select what you like. One special favorite of ours is the house of Nicholas Flamel, built in the 14th century (the oldest stone house in Paris), and it now hosts a nice restaurant. Oh, and do take a cruise boat ("bateaux mouches") over the Seine river for a very different perspective on the city.

Weather in April ain't that great, so take layers and rain coats.

PS. oh, and if you search well, you'll find the Statue of Liberty. Yup, no joke.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 pm

And BTW, Google Maps works for all public transport options. When you put the destination, select public transport in the app, and it will guide to the nearest bus and/or train stop. They have most current schedule built in and we never had any issue. It even calculated time to walk to the bus/train station/stop as part of the recommended route.

It made our Paris (and most of the Europe) trip last year very easy.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 pm
Don't miss Sainte-Chapelle since you will almost certainly be right there anyway.

http://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en/
Absolutely must see. I gasped and almost fell over when we entered the room. There is a downstairs area that is pretty good. Then you climb a narrow winding stair and BOOM! You are in the room. Stunning. They have concerts in there and that might be interesting

Do not miss Musee d'Orsay. I liked better than Louvre

We did not get to Rodin house & sculpture garden. There were several pieces at the d'Orsay though.

garzjoh

Post by garzjoh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:37 pm

NAVIGO DÉCOUVERTE
Only about $30 for unlimited metro rides from Monday through Sunday up to zone five including Versailles and both airports.

Tourists can get it just fine.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 am

The bus system in Paris can be confusing, but it can be fun to take the bus from time to time instead of relying completely on the Metro system. Rather than being hidden underground, you can sightsee while you get from place to place. Rick Steves recommends some specific routes that will take you to or from a few key sights and at least one route that is essentially a tour of the main monuments. If you are aiming to get some place across town, check the bus map to see what buses stop there, then follow the lines to see if any pass your starting point. Scan the maps at bus stops near your hotel to see where the different routes will take you. That said, avoid afternoon rush hour.

But yes, walk. And get off the main boulevards to explore the side streets. I did that and discovered a wonderful little museum -- quite new -- on the rue Servandoni, a short street just north of the Luxembourg Gardens. The musee Mondolingua is devoted to language.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:10 am

Oh, and ... April in Paris used to be a time for strikes. Transit. Or bread bakers. Or garbage pickup. That was especially true in the late 60s and the 70s. Don't know if that is still the case.

mattfr

Post by mattfr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:50 am

Hi there, resident Parisian here. Glad you can come visit!

If you’re looking for something particular or ‘local’ let me know. For the basics, excellent resources include:

- Rick Steve’s Travel Guide
- Trainline.eu (if you want to travel outside of Paris + suburbs)
- ViaNavigo or Citymapper apps for transit directions. These are also available directly in Google Maps & Apple Maps. It’s worth having an international data plan for your phone.

À bientôt !

WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 am

Eat lots of breads!!!

I don't know how but all the baked goods we had in Paris were amazing.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 am

NYC_Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm
If you’ve got 10 days...

Picasso Museum
Victor Hugo’s Apartment and Place des Vosges
Parc Monceau
Camondo Museum
Jacquemart-Andre Museum
A concert or opera at Garnier
A day trip to Giverny
Go to the Louvre at night on Wed and stay until they kick you out

And don’t do too much on any day.
Your list sounds so good.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:09 am

JMKEBogleGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 pm

I am heading to Paris in the second half of April 2018 for 10 days. I found a flight for $441 to Paris so all good! I have a hotel by the Luxembourg Gardens on the Left Bank. I will visit some museums, walk all over the city, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc etc etc.
DW and I were there last May. Be sure to take in Notre Dame, it's incredible. Beware of pickpockets around Eiffel Tower. (Of course, "beware of pickpockets" is, I suppose, generally good advice no matter where you're travelling.)

Check out the schedules of any museums you plan to take in; when we went, our schedule included one full day in Paris, and as luck would have it most of the museums were closed that day.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks everyone - all greatly appreciated! Glass is one of my favorite things and Saint Chapelle is high on my list. Of course Notre Dame. And I have the Rick Steve’s guide. I’m planning to get a EU sim chip for my phone so I can navigate the city. I will like spend a day at Versaillais and I’ll consider Giverny. I’d love to have an idea for a full day wine tour , have seen some for champagne but wine would be preferred. I expect to do a lot of walking and exploring and relaxing in the cafes and parks and eating and drinking. I’ll be careful about those pickpockets!

Keep your suggestions coming much appreciated.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:25 am

All great suggestions. Musee d' Orsay - my fav. Make an effort to speak a few words of French and the locals will have pity on you. Launch out into English and you may get the cold shoulder.

Food, Food, Food, Espresso!!!!!!! and long walks along the Seine. Beautiful City.

BogleLearner

Post by BogleLearner » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 am

I was in April several years ago - one of the best trips of my life.
I would recommend the following:
Eiffel Tower - a behind the scenes tour of the inner works - a medium priced tour
well worth the price - you will skip the
crowds and get up to the 3rd platform - there you can take an elevator to
the pinnacle.
Underground Sewer tour - you will learn about how Paris upgraded its
water and sewer system which was a necessity in the era of plagues -
yes - it does smell a little
Musee D'Orsay - a must - went on the 1st Sunday of the month - waited
along with the crowd with coffee and pastry in hand
Lodged with a French family through an agency - would not have traded this
experience for anything - this is the only way that you will experience how
the French really live - they invited me to the child's birthday party!
Mont Saint-Michel - take a train there, combine it with a trip to St Malo
Gosh - can I jump in your suitcase?! Have a great trip!

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Last time I was in France I tried Discover Walks (https://www.discoverwalks.com/tour/city ... ing-tours/). This group offers English-language tours in various neighborhoods. The tours are advertised as "free" but you are expected/encouraged to give a generous tip.

Tours are conducted by local students who speak English very well and are quite knowledgeable about their areas. Tours are all outside, so no entrance to museums or churches are included. (Although one guide took us down into a parking garage in the 6th arrondisement where we could see one of the last remnants of the wall constructed during the reign of Philippe Augustus.)

No reservations required. Just show up at the designated meeting spot for a particular tour. If you don't speak French, this is a good way to get an informative tour of a part of the City, without a lot of scheduling. (If you do speak French, ask me about finding a "conference visite" for a more in-depth exploration of an area.)

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 pm

We did a bike tour of Paris and it was my favorite part of the trip. It was 4 hours long and we got to see a ton of sites. The entire route is flat, so the only hard part is trying to stay with the group while biking among the traffic. Here is the company that we used...

https://www.bluefox.travel/paris/

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm

About 10 years ago, we took a Segway tour of Paris.

After that, we've done that a few other times, but in places with less traffic (Santa Monica, Aspen).

Aside from just being interesting to experience a Segway for the first time, taking the tour sort of felt like being in "Make Way For Ducklings" as we all followed along :happy

But it was a really nice way to take a tour on the ground, instead of walking.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

blackburnian

Post by blackburnian » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I thought I had posted a reply, but then it seemed to have disappeared. This one is a shorter version.

Consider Chartres Cathedral, a stunning Gothic cathedral, train ride from Paris.
Try out some of the smaller museums: Cluny (has unicorn tapestries), Carnavalet (history of Paris), Galerie de Paleontologie at the Jardin des Plantes (wonderful old-fashioned paleontology museum).

And not far from the Luxembourg Gardens, don't miss the delicious pastries at Gerard Mulot, 76, rue de Seine.

Bon voyage!

meaghansketch

Post by meaghansketch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Just popped in to second/third/fourth Monet's garden and house at GIverny. I went in April a couple years ago and it was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. Everything is in bloom at that time of year. It is very easy to take the train and then a quick bus through the town to Monet's house.

asterix0

Post by asterix0 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:21 pm

We took a walking tour with https://sightseekersdelight.com/ and enjoyed it. Food tours are fun too. We generally find them through TripAdvisor. A multi-day metro pass is wonderful as is the museum pass that lets you skip many lines.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Lots of great suggestions here.

My wife and I visited Paris several times before we had kids and finally got the courage to take our two boys last July. Wonderful time! We rented an apartment in the neighborhood where you are staying. Great central location.

I would add a few suggestions:

Not far from your neighborhood is a 1960s era skyscraper (Tour Montparnasse) that looks somewhat out of place, but the views from the top floor are spectacular. And no lines when we went.

Be sure to get the Museum Pass, but having the Rick Steves book you already knew that. Some of the less well-known museums are really interesting. The whole family enjoyed the Musee des Plans-Reliefs next to (or is it part of?) the Army Museum not far from your neighborhood. The museum consists of fantastic models of coastal and other towns in France that were created in the 1700s and 1800s for military planning purposes. It was not crowded at all when we went ... hardly anyone there.

There often are free concerts at lunch time at various churches. Fantastic!

I second the recommendation to take a train ride (day trip) to Chartres to check out the cathedral there.

You will have a great time.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:09 pm

I got here too late and everyone stole my ideas! So very much to see. Be sure to learn a bit of “French for tourists. “ The locals appreciate the effort. Have a wonderful time.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:10 pm

PugetSoundguy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Not far from your neighborhood is a 1960s era skyscraper (Tour Montparnasse) that looks somewhat out of place, but the views from the top floor are spectacular. And no lines when we went.
The French will tell you that the best view in Paris is from the top of the Tour Montparnasse ... because from there you don't have to look at the Tour Montparnasse.
They don't like it.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:14 pm

JMKEBogleGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 pm

I am heading to Paris in the second half of April 2018 for 10 days. I found a flight for $441 to Paris so all good! I have a hotel by the Luxembourg Gardens on the Left Bank. I will visit some museums, walk all over the city, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc etc etc. I would like to take a one day tour out of Paris to visit some Cathedrals if possible (do you know of something to suggest?) I also saw a cheese tour in Paris that looked interesting. I will be alone so I can plan whatever I want. What tips and suggestions do you have? What was your favorite things? What about tickets etc? Should I buy before? Any tour companies you would recommend?

Thanks one and all for all your suggestions!
Hopefully Paris will have dried out by then. See this article
about moving art to higher levels at the Louvre.

historikerstreit

Post by historikerstreit » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 pm

My last trip to Paris was last April and it was a great time to be there. Be aware that even though it's not the high tourist season, there will still be lots of foreign visitors.

While the major museums (Louvre and Orsay) are musts for a reason, and worth your time, they will be crowded, so try to go at off-hours. I love some of the smaller museums, which have the added advantage of being less busy. In addition to the Jacquemart-André and Nissim de Camondo, both mentioned before, there's also the Cognacq-Jay; these three are somewhat similar, with a heavy focus on French decorative arts, so one or two of them might be enough for you. One museum I can't get enough of is the Musée Guimet: one of the world's very greatest collections of Asian art, and blissfully uncrowded. (The material from Cambodia will knock your socks off.) Also the Musée Marmottan for stellar Impressionist painting.

Window shopping is a treat. I recommend spending some time in the "passages," the 19th-century glass-covered arcades in the center of the city that were the precursor of the shopping mall. Some of them are beautifully restored, and all have their own flavor. There are a number of websites and guidebooks devoted to them. Good for a rainy day. And I always hit one or two of the great department stores; if you have time for only one, make it the Galeries Lafayette (east bank) or the Bon Marché (left bank), which has an amazing food hall.

It's worth picking a destination or two in untouristed areas as bases for exploring local neighborhoods with their street markets, etc. If it's a weekend, I always go to the (covered) outdoor used book market at the Parc George-Brassens. And then wander the residential area between there and the Métro.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Thank you for all the wonderful detail suggestions historikerstreit!! Really appreciated!

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Thank you Puget Sound Guy I really would like to go to Chartres and see the cathedral but I have to figure out if I am brave enough to use the metro....

Thanks so much or should I say Merci Beaucoup!

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 pm

THanks elrobin I will definitely go for those pastries and I do want to go see the Chartres Cathedral!

ellvizzle

Post by ellvizzle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm

I highly recommend contacting Paris Greeters (just google that) -- you can connect with a local who volunteers to show visitors around their city to show it off. Really nice cross-cultural exchange. And free :) . we've met with Greeters in a number of cities. A couple of years ago the woman we met in Paris was lovely and showed us some unique sites (and I say that having lived in paris and visited many times).

I echo musee d'orsay, it's the best, I'd rather go there than the Louvre.

Also, a visit to Fontainebleau is a nice alternative to Versailles. Both are amazing, Fontainebleau is going to have less tourists.

If you like tea, Mariage Freres tea is fab--their French breakfast tea is incroyable. :D They have various shops and tea rooms across the city.

Bon voyage

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks ellvizzle - I will look up Paris Greeters and yes I kind of feel like I'm ok without Versailles but we will see!

Hoosierdom

Post by Hoosierdom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 pm

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the catacombs, but it was among my favorite parts of the city. As was the Rodin museum and, as previously mentioned, the Picasso museum. Other than that you just need bread, wine, chocolate, cheese and lots of walks. A bottle of wine and some cheese and sit along the river somewhere near Notre Dame, it's hard to beat that.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 pm

JMKEBogleGuy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm
Thanks ellvizzle - I will look up Paris Greeters and yes I kind of feel like I'm ok without Versailles but we will see!
Yes. Paris Greeters. You may want to set up something with them before you leave for Paris because it can take a bit of time to arrange a Greeter around your schedule, and theirs. You can tell them which parts of Paris you would be interested in seeing or not seeing or just let them pick a place. For instance, I indicated I would like to see some place other than the 5th arrondisement/Latin Quarter since I had spent so much time there. Ended up spending an afternoon with a very knowledgeable local who took me to places I would never have seen on my own, including inside banks and other commercial buildings with noteworthy architecture.

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks Hoosierdom - I have read a bit about the Catacombs and I am considering that! and the walking with bread, cheese and wine sounds delightful!

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:06 am

I'd consider these things:

For a day trip, Chartres, and the Cathedral there. It's an easy trip by train. The city center of the old city is charming, in addition to the cathedral. We also enjoyed Provins, which is a medieval town with a much smaller old city center, but also very pleasant, and an old castle-type thing to wander around on.

I could have lived without Versailles. I'm not sorry that we went, but it was CHOKED with people. We went in November, not April, so we generally had a very pleasant experience of visiting lots of things in ways that weren't overwhelmed with people. Versailles was so people-packed that it made it much harder to enjoy than other things we did. I'm not exactly saying you should skip it or it's not worth it, but if I would have been forced to choose between Chartres or Versailles I would have been much happier with Chartres. Similarly, I don't regret going up the Eiffel Tower, but also could have completely skipped that. When we went there were not crazy lines so it wasn't that big of a deal to wait. I don't think I would have wanted to wait all morning or anything. There are just too many things to see and do.

We also took a day trip to Normandy to tour Omaha beach, Pointe du Hoc, and other D-Day-related things. I personally found this moving and fascinating and was happy we did this.

If you're at all interested in art, I'd recommend seeing the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay, and Centre Pompidou in that order. You literally get to see the history of art unfold in a way that is immersive and helps you intuitively grasp the evolution of art (and, to some extent, history). It was powerful. The Picasso museum was good too, but if you're only "meh" about either art or Picasso you could skip it in favor of the many other things there are to do.

We took the Metro or walked anywhere we wanted to go within Paris--we just bought the ten trip carnets for the Metro whenever we needed to do that. It was easy peasy. Taking the Metro is very, very easy. Do not be intimidated by the Metro. It's easy. Take it. Another thing that worked well for us was buying food for our breakfast and dinner meals at supermarkets and then eating our lunches out in restaurants/by getting street food. That saved a lot of money and time, but maybe it's not for everybody. But it was really pleasant to eat baguettes or Lebanese sandwiches as we walked the streets. The best falafel in Paris is reputed to be at L'as du Falaffel; I can confirm that it's really good but it's not, like, orders of magnitude better than other falafel joints.

We didn't have any negative experiences with pickpockets or scam artists, but we were mindful of our surroundings, and this probably helped.

As far as neighborhoods, we stayed in Montmartre, so got to know it very well. It was lovely and I'd recommend spending some time there if you're able. We also wandered around the Marais quite a bit, not quite so much on the Left Bank. We liked Canal-St. Martin, too, but it wasn't flashy or touristy. But it did have some good artsy stores and places to eat.

Anytime you walk into a business establishment, they will greet you with "Bonjour" and you say "Bonjour" back. It is worth learning like ten things to say in French. I speak a little bit of French and really never needed to use it because almost everyone we encountered spoke English very well. They will be able to tell from the way you talk and dress that you're not French (at least this was our experience) and everyone was very gracious--we just said "Bonjour" in greeting and "Merci" when someone helped us, and if we did need to ask if someone spoke English, asked "Parlez-vous Anglais?" rather than asking in English and that seemed to go over very well. Just like pretty much everywhere else we've ever been, if you take a sincere interest in people and make efforts at being polite, they will open up and talk to you.

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks so much for all the detail MoonOrb - Yes Chartres is going up on my list!

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Food tip:
Freshly made sandwiches (on baguette) are a very economical lunch option, for France. You can find them stacked up in the windows of bakeries and there are also chain stores that do a booming business around lunch time. (Skip the serve-yourself stores where the sandwiches are wrapped in plastic.)

La Brioche d'Oree and some other chains offer a great deal: For 10 euro or less you can pick a substantial sandwich, a pastry and a canned drink, which are then packed into a nice carry-away sack. Lots of choices. Eat at one of the little tables in the establishment -- if you can find a free spot -- or take your handy sack to a park. You can also find this option at train stations, so you can grab an easy lunch before heading off on a trip.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Timely thread. I will be in Paris in the first week of April. Any suggestions on the local sim card?
Thanks for tips and suggestions.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 pm

chuppi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 pm
Timely thread. I will be in Paris in the first week of April. Any suggestions on the local sim card?
Thanks for tips and suggestions.
I went with LeFrenchMobile because 1) you can buy it in US ahead of time (by mail) and 2) support is in English. (Even though I speak French, I don't speak SIM.) You can set it up as soon as you find a wifi connection in Paris. Whether LFM or another brand, you will want to careful about the "duration" of any data package you buy. Some are only good for 2 weeks.

gretah

Post by gretah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:59 pm

I've been to Paris many times. I LOVE Paris !!!

The absolute best guidebook is by EyeWitness
https://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Tr ... uide+paris

And the best guide to Paris cafes, street markets, and restaurants is Food Lover's Guide to Paris by Patricia Wells
https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lovers-Guid ... e+to+paris

I speak a dozen words of French. Badly. I had no trouble using the subway system.

john4546

Post by john4546 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 am

cmoneymillz

Post by cmoneymillz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Tip - use the subway always and hold onto your stub! So easy to use, never waited more than 5 minutes at any station, but some make you reenter the stub at the exit which was weird to me.
Buy tickets at the airport. This was also confusing - you need two seperate sets. One ticket, more costly, is for airport into the city. The other is just for city use.
Beyond that -
And eat as many croissants / baguettes as you can!

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm

cmoneymillz wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:50 pm
Tip - use the subway always and hold onto your stub! So easy to use, never waited more than 5 minutes at any station, but some make you reenter the stub at the exit which was weird to me.
Buy tickets at the airport. This was also confusing - you need two seperate sets. One ticket, more costly, is for airport into the city. The other is just for city use.
Beyond that -
And eat as many croissants / baguettes as you can!
You take what is called the RER from the airport into the city. (~10 Euro at a kiosk) Specifically RER B from/to CDG. The RERs are commuter lines. As long as you don't pass through the gates that exit the station where you need make a "correspondence," you can continue using the same ticket on the Metro to get to your in-city stop -- if it is not on the RER line you took. It can be confusing, even for old Paris hands, because many RER lines criss-cross with multiple Metro lines and share stops, and the stations are quite spread out and busy. Just take your time and follow the overhead signage.