Board game for 3 year old

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
biscuit
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Board game for 3 year old

Post by biscuit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Would you recommend any board games to play with 3 year old (about to be 4)?

livesoft
Posts: 60512
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Candy Land. It is a classic. Also Chutes and Ladders.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by bengal22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Not a board game but 3 year old loves Go Fish card game.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

rkhusky
Posts: 5163
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by rkhusky » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Matching games (cards, tiles) are also good. In fact, youngsters are often better at this than adults.

Regarding Go Fish, a variant is to have the winner be the one who goes out first, rather than whomever has the most matches, which eliminates any skill and makes it purely luck. So, it doesn't matter if you catch a glimpse of your opponent's cards. And using just 2 card matches, versus 4 card matches, makes it easier on younger children.

GreenGrowTheDollars
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm
Candy Land. It is a classic. Also Chutes and Ladders.
Another vote for Candyland...as long as you first pocket the cards for Plumpy and Jolly. (Unless you don't mind if the game goes on forever. :sharebeer )

We also really liked Trouble with the Pop-A-Matic. That might mean waiting until age 4.

User avatar
rcjchicity
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: Where do you think?

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by rcjchicity » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 pm

We have Candyland and Chutes and Ladders for our 3 y/o, which moderately keep her attention. She likes the matching/memory card games better and really likes simple puzzles. We have a Melissa and Doug floor puzzle that's pictures of cars, trucks, planes, boats, trains, etc. that's a favorite.

Chadnudj
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Chadnudj » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm
Candy Land. It is a classic. Also Chutes and Ladders.
My 3 year old is learning Candy Land.....the best trick? Put chocolate chips and marshmallows on random squares. If they (or you) land there, you get candy! Everyone wins (even if they don't "win" overall).

IowaFarmWife
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by IowaFarmWife » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I work with a lot of preschool-aged kids, and they love Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, go fish and card matching games. Yes, I get to play games at work and get paid for it, too! :)

getthatmarshmallow
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 pm

We play a lot of boardgames with our four-year-old, so I have some off-the-beaten path recommendations:

Castle Panic! (cooperative -- work together to defend your castle from orcs and goblins.)
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters (cooperative -- work together to rescue treasures from a house full of (cute green) ghosts.)
Animal Upon Animal (competitive -- stack up wooden animals in a tower and be the first to go out.)

The four-year-old was playing classic Trouble at preschool and LOVED it. The pop-a-matic is preschool crack. He's also obsessed with puzzles -- works on 500 piece puzzles with Dad.

I personally cannot stand Candyland but my mother bought it for him and I have to admit he enjoys playing it as long as he never gets sent back. :oops:

Gil Gunderson
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Gil Gunderson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Don’t wake daddy

GLState
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by GLState » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:50 pm

My granddaughter (3 years old) likes Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel and The Lady Bug Game.

Afty
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Afty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 pm

+1 on Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel. Our kids also like the Busytown Eye Found It game. We like them to play Erudition, which helps them learn to read.

angelescrest
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: The Third Coast

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by angelescrest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 pm

So I got Sorry for my kid at about the same age, and it was and is still beloved. Wanted to play all the time. Simplified the rules and all, to make it easier to play (easy anyhow), and to make it less sad and vengeful when you knock another one out. We basically ignore the Sorry card, and draw another card. Also, we play with only two or three pawns to shorten the game. We also let pieces piggy back on top of each other for fun.

Better though is matching card set I got on Amazon. Amazing how good little one’s memories are, they can blow me out of the water at age 3. Good grief.

blw87
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:12 am
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by blw87 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm

My daughters (4 yrs and 2 yrs) love to play a game called The Cat in the Hat: "I Can Do That." It's a game with simple tasks that are silly enough that the kids giggle and my wife and I actually have a fun time too. Also, we got them a game for Christmas called "Yoga Spinner." Whatever the spinner lands on is the yoga move you have to do. Surprisingly, I cannot tell you how much they love that game.

User avatar
Hawaiishrimp
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Jenga?
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

AlohaJoe
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 pm

I would go to a website specialising in board games and see what the experts over there have to say.

BoardGameGeek is the place to go on the internet for board game questions.

These are some of the recommendations from experts/fanatics over there

Caterpillar Dice - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/300 ... illar-dice
Little Bird, Big Hunger - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/209 ... big-hunger
The Orchard - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/413 ... -card-game
Here Fishy Fishy - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/132 ... ishy-fishy
Coconuts - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145639/coconuts
Animal Upon Animal - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173 ... pon-animal
Cartoona - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116948/cartoona

Here's a list of all games for ages 3+, sorted by rank.

DarthSage
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by DarthSage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am

Memory Match isn't a board game, but it's great for younger kids. Added bonus: while you can play against each other, she could also play be herself if she wanted to.

Be careful what version you pick, though. I remember one of my kids having a Winnie the Pooh Memory Match--the images were so similar, even adults had trouble matching them! (Maybe it was just me?) At any rate, go for a more generic version that might have fruits and vegetables or other distinct shapes.

Other games are Jenga, Kerplunk!, Hungry, Hungry Hippo, and even Checkers. When my kids were younger, we had a large selection of Melissa and Doug puzzles--if you peruse their display in a toy store, you'll see a wide variety of puzzle-type items--lacing, reversible puzzles, different ability levels, and so forth. It was super funny, when my youngest went to preschool, his teachers were impressed that he knew all the states. He's no prodigy--he just loved the M&D USA puzzle! And had a weird obsession with Nebraska, which he's fortunately outgrown. (We lived in New Hampshire at the time--no idea what sparked that!)

forgeblast
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by forgeblast » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:18 am

Soggy Doggy, is fun. Candy land not too bad. Oh the Uno that shoots out cards. Just take out the cards they will not understand and play with the numbers.
there is also a game called gobblet kind of like checkers/chess my daughter loved it when she was 5.

mw1739
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by mw1739 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:50 am

Operation is fun and it helps build fine motor skills

Rupert
Posts: 3000
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Rupert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 am

Afty wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 pm
+1 on Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel. Our kids also like the Busytown Eye Found It game. We like them to play Erudition, which helps them learn to read.
+10 on Sneaky Snacky Squirrel.

Marjimmy
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Marjimmy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 am

Chess. Chess. Chess.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am

Two that we played with our kids when they were young that I haven't seen mentioned yet, Dominoes and Monopoly (the kiddie version).

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by bengal22 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 am

DarthSage wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am
Memory Match isn't a board game, but it's great for younger kids. Added bonus: while you can play against each other, she could also play be herself if she wanted to.

Be careful what version you pick, though. I remember one of my kids having a Winnie the Pooh Memory Match--the images were so similar, even adults had trouble matching them! (Maybe it was just me?) At any rate, go for a more generic version that might have fruits and vegetables or other distinct shapes.

Other games are Jenga, Kerplunk!, Hungry, Hungry Hippo, and even Checkers. When my kids were younger, we had a large selection of Melissa and Doug puzzles--if you peruse their display in a toy store, you'll see a wide variety of puzzle-type items--lacing, reversible puzzles, different ability levels, and so forth. It was super funny, when my youngest went to preschool, his teachers were impressed that he knew all the states. He's no prodigy--he just loved the M&D USA puzzle! And had a weird obsession with Nebraska, which he's fortunately outgrown. (We lived in New Hampshire at the time--no idea what sparked that!)
The only issue with memory match card game is that you will never ever win against a 3 year old. It is uncanny how they remember every card. Even if they are not laid out in neat rows. After 3 games, I switch us to trivial pursuit so I have a chance.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

bloom2708
Posts: 3979
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 am

Trouble and Sorry are excellent timeless games. They extend up to higher ages.

I remember landing on my sister in Trouble and sending her back home. She was so angry. :wink:

Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders are both good for that age group.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

IowaFarmWife
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by IowaFarmWife » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am
Two that we played with our kids when they were young that I haven't seen mentioned yet, Dominoes and Monopoly (the kiddie version).
I forgot about dominos- my DD#2 LOVED to play this. She was pretty good at it, too.

GetMeToRetirement
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by GetMeToRetirement » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:16 am

Although not a board game, my 3 y/o and I highly recommend Castle Logix. "SmartGames Castle Logix challenges kids to construct castles, block by block and tower by tower, flexing logic muscles with this beautifully crafted 3-D wooden puzzle. Assemble the wooden blocks and towers to match the challenge you have selected in the included booklet. With simple challenges for inexperienced builders to complex puzzles that will challenge skilled architects, Castle Logix is a fun way to develop logical thinking skills and spatial reasoning abilities." https://www.amazon.com/SmartGames-SG-01 ... B0012CQFXG

DarthSage
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by DarthSage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:24 am

bengal22 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 am
DarthSage wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am
Memory Match isn't a board game, but it's great for younger kids. Added bonus: while you can play against each other, she could also play be herself if she wanted to.

Be careful what version you pick, though. I remember one of my kids having a Winnie the Pooh Memory Match--the images were so similar, even adults had trouble matching them! (Maybe it was just me?) At any rate, go for a more generic version that might have fruits and vegetables or other distinct shapes.

Other games are Jenga, Kerplunk!, Hungry, Hungry Hippo, and even Checkers. When my kids were younger, we had a large selection of Melissa and Doug puzzles--if you peruse their display in a toy store, you'll see a wide variety of puzzle-type items--lacing, reversible puzzles, different ability levels, and so forth. It was super funny, when my youngest went to preschool, his teachers were impressed that he knew all the states. He's no prodigy--he just loved the M&D USA puzzle! And had a weird obsession with Nebraska, which he's fortunately outgrown. (We lived in New Hampshire at the time--no idea what sparked that!)
The only issue with memory match card game is that you will never ever win against a 3 year old. It is uncanny how they remember every card. Even if they are not laid out in neat rows. After 3 games, I switch us to trivial pursuit so I have a chance.
Maybe that's why that stupid Winnie the Pooh version was so hard for me. Luckily, I"m past that age with my own kids--now I know what to get for my future grandchildren though. Revenge will (eventually) be mine!

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3522
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

angelescrest wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 pm
Amazing how good little one’s memories are, they can blow me out of the water at age 3. Good grief.
They are learning at a ferocious rate at that age.

One on the most amazing demonstrations of that I've seen was PET scans of an adult vs a young child's brain using labelled glucose. The brightness of the image is an indication of the metabolic rates of different area of the brain. The child's brain was totally lit up while the adult's brain was lit in just a few areas.

http://www.riggsinst.org/brainpower.aspx

It is why children learn to play a musical instrument or to speak a new language more easily than adults.

chevca
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by chevca » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:48 am

The Sponge Bob version of Connect Four entertained for hours when mine were around that age.

sid hartha
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by sid hartha » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Candy Land
Connect 4
All types of matching games
The Very Hungary Caterpillar
Chutes and Ladders
Old Maid
Go Fish
Hungary Hungary Hippo

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Mine likes chutes and ladders. Easy enough to learn, quick enough to match attention span, interesting enough that they want to replay.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Twood
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by Twood » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Popular with at three years old in our house:
Chess (by a loose or unique set of rules, because they are emotionally opposed to having their pieces taken)
Carcassonne
Tangrams- I get annoyed trying to keep the kids from loosing pieces, but apps on a touchscreen are doable
Rush Hour - same parts issue
That connect the dots to make a square drawing game you play while waiting for your food at a restaurant
Operation
Mahjong-again on tablet
Twenty-again tablet
Guess Who
Hisss
The aMAZEing labyrinth
100 piece puzzles - clear and diverse pictures with big pieces (e.g. Melissa & Doug)
Dancing Eggs
Animal upon Animal
Drachenturm

The ones I didn't mention parts issues for do have many parts, but are only played with someone responsible enough to keep track.

metrunt
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by metrunt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 pm


wfrobinette
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by wfrobinette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Gil Gunderson wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 pm
Don’t wake daddy
That's a good one. Another variation is don't pop the pig.

FreemanB
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by FreemanB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:56 pm

We've had a lot of luck with the Peaceable Kingdom cooperative games. Competitive games are fun too, but sometimes you want to avoid conflict :) http://www.mindware.orientaltrading.com ... 711-1.fltr We have Count Your Chickens and Race to the Treasure.

Robot Turtles is a good game if you want to get started on the basics on programming logic.

stw
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 am

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by stw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:12 pm

My son is 5. I enjoy reading the responses about matching games, as our son beats the tar out of us. At first, I would play casually with him. Once he started winning consistently, I thought, hey, I just need to concentrate more. Yeah, that doesn't matter. He kills me. Every time. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

In any case, it's good to see all these suggestions. He likes many of the ones already listed, but there are many we have not tried. Thanks!

User avatar
happymob
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: Board game for 3 year old

Post by happymob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Sequence for Kids involves some strategy (though the 3 year old can just play whatever) and it's easy for parents to deliberately throw the game if they choose without making it obvious to the kid that you are throwing the game.

Post Reply