Buying This Week: IPhone X or IPhone 8 Plus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RollTide31457

Buying This Week: IPhone X or IPhone 8 Plus

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Current phone is an iPhone 6 Plus.

Plan to buy the phone outright.

Any strong preferences or recommendations of one over the other?

kerplunk

Re: Buying This Week: IPhone X or IPhone 8 Plus

Post by kerplunk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Why are you replacing the iPhone 6 Plus?

I would bring it to the Apple Store and get the $29 battery replacement to extend its life and improve its performance. The next iPhone X will be out in September and it’s going to be much better.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

kerplunk wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 pm

I would bring it to the Apple Store and get the $29 battery replacement to extend its life and improve its performance. The next iPhone X will be out in September and it’s going to be much better.
Good point. Thanks! Will look to see if this phone is eligible...

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 pm

I think if you are "hands on" with both and have $1,000 to drop on a phone, then the iPhone X should win.

Go with the X.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:56 pm

I have an X and previously had a 7Plus. I'm sorry I bought the X. Regardless of all the hype of how it's the same screen real estate as the plus, it is not. Period. Much harder to read due to the narrowness. Also it doesn't have the "substantial feel" in my hand that the Plus had. The face recognition is neat but just a toy. If I had to do it over again, I'd get an 8Plus. I'm reading that the X will be discontinued in favor of an XPlus. I got hyped! I'll sell my X when the plus comes out. It's a toy for me and much cheaper than flipping cars, but the X was a poor value.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 pm

kerplunk wrote:

Better how? Better face emojis?

I'd pick the 8Plus between those two for two huge reasons: a physical button and a bigger screen :beer

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:06 pm

Here's a good thread from macrumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wh ... x.2100241/

And maybe X being canceled: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... a1a2210cbd

Seems many get lots of redeye in photos with the X but not with the 7 or 8; should be fixable via software update at some point. Also I read something about no landscape mode with X due to it's native aspect ratio--don't remember details. But is would be irritating to not have landscape mode when watching a Youtube video.

I use a 6 and have been to the Apple store 4-5x looking at the phones. Form factor of the X is very similar to the 6 but with more usable screen space which is attractive. 8+ and X have similar screen real estate. No home button isn't a big deal and the extra swiping is fine. I don't mind the "notch" but it seems to drive some crazy. Most like face ID okay. Lots of actual owners here so hopefully they'll chime in. I've decided to wait until the next upgrades hit.
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Landscape works fine on the X for videos. But it's worth noting that the X's aspect ratio is such that, when in landscape, videos don't take up the whole screen- it's wider than "widescreen" (16:9).

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm

kerplunk wrote:

Excellent advice. Well done.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 pm

kerplunk wrote:

yeah... this is what I'm going to do. $29 to extend my 6 plus for another 3 years (I hope).

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 pm

I am on 6 (not even 6s) and I am going to do that. This is despite I use my phone a LOT - including watching movies at gym etc.

sgr000

Post by sgr000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm
My spouse & I got an iPhone X with the Otterbox Defender case, and are quite pleased with both, other than the price.

T-Mobile's over-age-55 unlimited-everything was sort of the tipping point for me: for once, a straightforward, non-gimmick arrangement to provide unlimited service for a reasonably fixed fee.

We ended up choosing the X instead of the 8+ because it's physically a bit smaller while having more screen pixels available, and in an attempt to "future-proof" ourselves as the XI & XII &c roll out over the next few years.

b42

Post by b42 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 pm

I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone X on release. Got the upgraded storage model and bought it outright, and it's been great. Screen is excellent, it's an order of magnitude faster than the 5, and is basically better in every way.

For me the X is totally worth it, although the 8 Plus would have probably been fine as well. But since I upgrade infrequently, and I do appreciate all the small touches to the X, I'm fine with just getting the top model and riding it out.

To me the X is like a car with a few expensive add-on packages. It's probably not worth it cost-wise to most, but for me the extra features make it well worth it for a device I'll use 8 hours a day, every day, for 3-4 years.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 pm

kerplunk wrote:

This is what I did. I have an iPhone 6s as well. I will share my experience in case it benefits anyone else.

I made my appointment at the apple store. When I went in, they ran a performance scan of my battery, and reported that it was healthy and needed no replacement. As my phone was already over 2 years old, I told him that I just wanted a new battery. He insisted that my battery was fine, and getting a new battery would do nothing to increase the performance of my phone, or how long it would last on a charge. I insisted they go ahead and replace the battery. They told me they had none in stock, and 3 days later they called me to come back in to actually replace the battery. It took them about an hour to do so, and my phone easily lasts 2-3x longer on a charge again now. Hard to say if it performs better, but maybe. It never seemed much slower.

So, I would strongly recommend getting a $29 battery instead of spending a fortune on a new phone. My 6s feels like a brand-new phone again. Just be prepared for them to try and talk you out of it.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm

b42 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 pm
I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone X on release. Got the upgraded storage model and bought it outright, and it's been great. Screen is excellent, it's an order of magnitude faster than the 5, and is basically better in every way.

For me the X is totally worth it, although the 8 Plus would have probably been fine as well. But since I upgrade infrequently, and I do appreciate all the small touches to the X, I'm fine with just getting the top model and riding it out.

To me the X is like a car with a few expensive add-on packages. It's probably not worth it cost-wise to most, but for me the extra features make it well worth it for a device I'll use 8 hours a day, every day, for 3-4 years.
Great post! I fell in love with the X in the store, but I couldn't afford it. I bought an SE instead, but I think your car analogy is sound.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 pm

I upgraded to an iPhone 8 from a 6+ a month or two before the story emerged about them surreptitiously nerfing phones. My 6+ had gotten unbearably slow. The 8 is a fine phone and I'm not the type to be an early adopter of brand new stuff, so the X wasn't for me. Had the story regarding them steering people to upgrade emerged sooner, I would have upgraded to an Android device. Not telling you that they are slowing down your phone, nor that they're doing it because of the battery, nor that replacing the battery would restore performance, is inexcusable. They very clearly wanted you to buy a new phone; no one instinctively replaces a battery when slow speed is the symptom. Next phone will certainly be an Android. If Honda could reach out and lower your MPG without telling you that simply replacing the right rear floormat would restore performance, we would not abide it. Why accept it from Apple? Sorry for the rant, lol.

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:29 am

I bought the iPhone 8 in early December.
I consider the iPhone X a beta version of the iPhone— I didn’t want to pay a premium to be an early adopter.
If you have the opportunity, you might want to look at the Consumer Reports reviews for the 8 Plus and X. As I recall, the 8 and the X received the same score (I don’t recall what exact score the 8 Plus received). In the testing, the iPhone 8 reviewed as a more durable phone than the X— Consumer Reports does a “tumble test” spinning the phones as I recall. The 8 performed swimmingly whereas the X did not fare well.

Final comments— I’ve been happy with my iPhone 8. Honestly, though, it seems about the same as the 6 and 7 I’ve previously owned. Basically just a modest, incremental upgrade. My kids have needed/taken my previous phones (new phones are a tax write-off). If I were in your shoes, as long as the 6 Plus were in good working order, I’d be tempted to replace the battery and keep the current phone.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 pm

About a month before all this Apple battery issues came along, my wife had an Iphone 6+ that was having very weird battery issues. We completely wiped out her phone and that didn't fix the problem, took into Apple and they said the battery was fine. So we ended up getting her an Iphone 8+. It's a fine phone but a complete waste of money if you're coming from a 6+. I really wish we would have just gotten the battery replaced even though Apple said it wasn't necessary.

So in summary, replace the battery in your Iphone 6+

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 pm

I recently upgraded to an IPhone X from a 10 year old LG flip phone with an 2" screen. So far, I'm please with the upgrade. I'm hopeful it will also last 10 years, but my wife's IPhone 6 is already causing her problems and it's only 3 years old. As far as making actual phone calls, I still prefer my 20 year old Panasonic cordless land line phone - much better feel and voice quality than my $1,000 IPhone. Doesn't take as good of pictures though.

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 pm

I have had both the 8 Plus and X. Both are excellent but I prefer the X.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 am

I've had the 6s Plus and the 7s Plus, and now I have the X. I would be a little bummed if I had to go back to one of the plus sizes. I love the size of the X and it seems the screen seems to be crisper than the pluses. Also, I hardly ever use the camera but my wife is constantly getting asked if her pictures online are taken by a professional camera.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 am

Upgraded my wife's 6 to 8+. Primary reason for upgrade was it was starting to have hardware issues with upgrades of iOS. She thinks 8+ too big for her hands but otherwise likes it. I upgraded a 6 to X. Had problems getting used to the new swipes and missing home button but now, after 2 mo's I'm trained and I now have problems using my iPad w/ home button and trying to swipe when it won't work on iPad. I like the X. Apple has a trade in for old phone, I think I got only $130 for 3 yr old phone in very good condition. My wife got the same price with a phone having deep gouges in the corner of the screen. Backup your old phone to iCloud before taking it in and I recommend you do the setup and restore of your last backup while you are still in the store.

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm

I have a 3.5 year old iPhone 6. The battery life is horrible. It completely shuts off when it hits 30%. I called the repair number to get an appt for the $29 replacement. I asked if they would change the Battery at that appt and was told yes. Well, got to the appt, they ran diagnostics and said yep your battery is horrid and by the way, you have a slight dent (that I still can’t see) and the screen is loose and clicky. (My phone looks fine and works well except for the battery.) They tried hard to get me to buy a new phone, saying that my current phone probably won’t last much longer. WHAT? This whole battery pre appt is simply an opportunity to get you in the store to buy a new phone. They also tried to lure me with some trade-in money for my old phone since it was in good shape. Wow. Before that he said it was on its last legs.

I said forget it—just replace the battery. They didn’t have them in stock ( so they say) and had to order which takes 2 weeks. That’s what I’m doing. I’m a huge Apple user. I believe in the products and have an iPad and MacBook. This experience has really turned me off. It felt like a cheezy used car ploy. I may convert to the google pixel for my next phone when this one bites the dust.
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Bought my Iphone 7+ during T-Mobile BOGOF deal during last BF sales. If you are senior 62 year older. Their two line for $60 unlimited date is a super deal. Get me through Europe travel free data and $0.20/min call. If you compare 7 with 8 and 10, 7 is almost there but lower priced.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:18 am

ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 am
I've had the 6s Plus and the 7s Plus, and now I have the X.
There's no such thing as a 7s. They released the 8 instead.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:18 am
ERISA Stone wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 am
I've had the 6s Plus and the 7s Plus, and now I have the X.
There's no such thing as a 7s. They released the 8 instead.
7 Plus then? I get the models mixed up.

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:56 pm
I have an X and previously had a 7Plus. I'm sorry I bought the X. Regardless of all the hype of how it's the same screen real estate as the plus, it is not. Period. Much harder to read due to the narrowness. Also it doesn't have the "substantial feel" in my hand that the Plus had. The face recognition is neat but just a toy. If I had to do it over again, I'd get an 8Plus. I'm reading that the X will be discontinued in favor of an XPlus. I got hyped! I'll sell my X when the plus comes out. It's a toy for me and much cheaper than flipping cars, but the X was a poor value.
Yet you didn't return it when you had the opportunity...

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:49 am

I agree with those who say to get the X. I would never want to go back to a home button at this point, and the display and camera are amazing. I went to Antarctica recently and my only camera was the X. Fantastic photos.

The rumors about it being "discontinued" are laughable. Apple is just choosing not to bump it down to a lower point when the new ones come out in the fall. Instead, there will be cheaper LCD versions and a new OLED version. Keeping the original X would just cannibalize the sales of the LCD models.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:24 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm

I'd go with the X. Screen is pretty much the same on both but the actual phone is much larger with plus.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

I'm very happy with my X. The "Plus" models are too big to fit in my pockets, so even though the screen size is nice, it's pretty much a non-starter.

Although I was a bit worried about the lack of touchID and the home button, I've been surprised by how little I miss them. The Face ID works incredibly well- to the point that you almost don't realize the phone is being unlocked- it's just ready to go when I need it. The size upgrade is nice over my previous 6s- older phones seem to have tiny screens now by comparison. The Camera is fantastic. I'm not a good photographer, but it allows even a knucklehead like me to take pretty great photos- they no longer look like they were taken by a phone.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 am

Cash wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:56 pm
Yet you didn't return it when you had the opportunity...
Because I gave my 7 to my kid. But I should have returned it and gotten an 8Plus. I can't wait for the XPlus...I'll sell this for what I can get it and suck it up yet again. I know...rewarding a company for a product I dislike. With Apple it's a love-hate relationship.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:24 am

I'd go with the X. Screen is pretty much the same on both but the actual phone is much larger with plus.

As I've said previously on this thread, that might be true in theory (square inches), but in reality X is narrower and harder to read. The real estate is more valuable on the Plus

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:09 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am
ddurrett896 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:24 am

As I've said previously on this thread, that might be true in theory (square inches), but in reality X is narrower and harder to read. The real estate is more valuable on the Plus
The X is easier for me to read and I think the shape is much easier to carry than my plus iphones. To each his own.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am

sgr000 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm

T-Mobile's over-age-55 unlimited-everything was sort of the tipping point for me: for once, a straightforward, non-gimmick arrangement to provide unlimited service for a reasonably fixed fee.

We ended up choosing the X instead of the 8+ because it's physically a bit smaller while having more screen pixels available, and in an attempt to "future-proof" ourselves as the XI & XII &c roll out over the next few years.
My wife and I have been considering moving to T-Mobile to take advantage of their over 55 plan. One concern that we have is how well T-Mobile's coverage is in rural areas. We frequently use Google Maps on our phones for navigation while driving and we plan to begin taking more trips following our 2017 retirements.

Have you had the T-Mobile service long enough to determine how their rural coverage compares to your previous carrier? We would be changing from Verizon. Would I be prying if I asked you who you had before you switched?

sgr000

Post by sgr000 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:33 am

bikechuck wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am
sgr000 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm

My wife and I have been considering moving to T-Mobile to take advantage of their over 55 plan. One concern that we have is how well T-Mobile's coverage is in rural areas. We frequently use Google Maps on our phones for navigation while driving and we plan to begin taking more trips following our 2017 retirements.

Have you had the T-Mobile service long enough to determine how their rural coverage compares to your previous carrier? We would be changing from Verizon. Would I be prying if I asked you who you had before you switched?
We live in metropolitan Boston, so what we know of rural coverage is unlikely to be relevant (or reliable). :-) I do know we've taken trips in New England, and never had a problem on highways, in national parks, and through small towns. If you google "t-mobile coverage map" there appear to be several sources, including T-Mobile itself, willing to offer a more informed opinion and comparison to other carriers.

Our previous carrier is also unlikely to be informative to you: TracFone, which was ok as far as it went -- basically we kept data turned off and had more or less "dumb phones". They were ancient Chinese androids, theoretically smart phones but too slow to be of any use. (Their software update policy: never! That got to be pretty worrisome, after a while.) So from there to the latest iPhone was a bit... different.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am

bikechuck wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am
If you're truly using Google maps, and not Apple maps (they switched the stock mapping app several years ago), you can pre-download map data for areas you're going to go. Navigation then works just fine without any cellular service at all. Of course, there won't be adjustments for traffic, but it's still pretty good insurance if you're worried.