Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cutterinnj

Re: Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Post by cutterinnj » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm
My iPhone 6 is 3.5 years old. The battery life is terrible, and I opted for the $29 battery replacement. They told me it would be in stock in two weeks though. Ignoring battery life, the phone performance is noticeably slow. Opening apps and trying to compose a text message are both slow. My wife just upgraded to iPhone 8 (her work paid for it), and she is raving about how fast it is.

If this were the old days of 2 year upgrades for $199, I would have upgraded as soon as I were eligible. But I'm too cheap to pay $800-$900 for a new phone.
The slowness is Apple throttling the speed because of the nearly spent battery.

Once you get a new battery, the speed should be much better.

zoneinfo

Re: Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Post by zoneinfo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Quickblue02 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 am
I'm still using a 5 year old iphone 5. I see no need to upgrade! Just put on a battery case from Amazon that allows me to use the phone all day without recharging. Who's with me? No new phones!!!
iPhone 5 is end of life and does not receive security updates. Malicious ads could be stealing your personal data when you browse the web from that phone, as a hypothetical example.

Using an old insecure product may end up costing you a lot more than the cost to upgrade.