Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ubermax

Re: Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Post by ubermax » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Had a 5s , lost it , replaced with SE , same size which I like , no desire to upgrade .

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Quickblue02 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 am
I'm still using a 5 year old iphone 5. I see no need to upgrade! Just put on a battery case from Amazon that allows me to use the phone all day without recharging. Who's with me? No new phones!!!
I think even if you are not picky about having the latest/greatest phone, battery life has almost always been why I upgrade my phone. A battery case is clunky to me and changing out most internal batteries is expensive. I find that after two years, the batteries seem to really go downhill. I use my phone a lot, so I don't mind changing phones every two or so years. I try to buy phones that give a lot of bang for the buck in the $300 range.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Quickblue02 wrote:
I'm still using a 5 year old iphone 5. I see no need to upgrade! Just put on a battery case from Amazon that allows me to use the phone all day without recharging. Who's with me? No new phones!!!
I have a 5s. Its a tank. Still running strong, although the battery life seems to be getting shorter. It is way more reliable than my wife's 6s. I haven't updated iOS in about a year and don't plan to after hearing about the processor bottlenecking. I plan to replace the battery in the near future.

My prior two phones were the iPhone 3G (also solid) and Palm Treo (junk).

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

I've had my iPhone 6+ for just over 3 years now and I have no desire to get a new one. I actually calculated my $1/day date (i.e. paying less than $1 per day for it) as June 20 of last year but then I broke the screen while out running with it a couple of months later (I was using MapMyRun), breaking the front and the proximity sensor, but otherwise it worked fine. The fix was $180 (would have been reimbursable from Verizon had I been paying my bill with my WF Cash Wise Visa card, oh well) so that pushed my $1/day date to Christmas. I'll keep it as long as it works well and gets security updates.

That said, if I needed a new one now, I'd go with an 8+ and keep it for as long as possible. Screw Face ID, that stuff's the NSA's wet dream, yet people eat it up.
Last edited by Calygos on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 am
Quickblue02 wrote:
I bought a 7 when they made it waterproof. Very glad as I've already gotten it wet once, inside a "water proof" case.
Water Resistance was one of the main reasons that I upgraded from a 6 to an 8. With the 6, when outdoors, I tried to always have a quality zip lock type bag available in case it rained. Now with the 8, I don't sweat it that much. Here's what Apple says about water resistance: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

Back to the OP's original question: I've handed down both my iPhone 5 and 6; both users are happy. I'll likely send both iPhones to Apple for new batteries, and keep them ticking for as long as possible.

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:34 am

I have a 3.5 year old iPhone 6. The battery life is horrible. It drops from 50% to 35% immediately and completely shuts off when it hits 30%. I called the repair number to get an appt for the $29 replacement. I asked if they would change the Battery at that appt and was told YES. Well, arrived at the Apple store, they ran diagnostics and said yep your battery is bad and by the way, you have a slight dent in the side (that I still can’t see) and the screen is a little clicky. (My phone looks great and works well except for the battery.) They tried hard to get me to buy a new phone, saying that my current phone probably won’t last much longer. (WHAT? It's working FINE!)

This whole battery pre appointment is simply an opportunity to get you in the store to buy a new phone. They also tried to lure me with some trade-in money ($129) for my old phone since it was in good shape. Wow. Before that he said it was on its last legs. Plus I knew I could get more $$ for it when ready to sell since it will have a new battery, the original box and in great shape.

I said forget it—just replace the battery. Of course they didn’t have batteries in stock (so they say) and had to order which takes 2 weeks. That’s what I’m doing and will keep it going for as long as I can and as long as it does what I need it to do.

I’m a huge Apple user. I always believed in the products and have an iPad and MacBook and a few iPhones. This experience has really turned me off. It felt like a cheezy used car ploy. I may convert to the google pixel for my next phone when this one bites the dust.
What, Me Worry? --Alfred E. Neuman

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:10 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am
mxs wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am
...still uses the old micro-USB port
I wish my new phone had the usb-c port for charging, as that is much easier. You don't have to have it the correct way as it is reversable.
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be backwards-compatible with the other phone chargers I have, the other chargers I see other people have (in case I'm out and about and want to charge my phone), the portable battery charger I have, or my wireless mouse charger. If everything uses the same port, that's what's easier.
I would gladly spend the $30 or so to replace my USB to micro USB cables with USB to USB c. The older hard wired chargers don't charge as fast as the special turbo chargers that make use of varying voltage and amps. At some point you will have to change to a new charger style, micro USB is almost dead. USB c will be the future for a long time. I don't think all the wires on USB c are used yet, so there is room for growth and new methods.

Having to make sure the plug is right side up and going in straight is a slight hassle, but I would be very happy to be without the hassle.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am

Another 5s here, almost 4 years old on iOS 10.3.3. Needs charging more often but not enough to bother me. This isn't an example of being cheap for me. I spend the money I save on plenty of other wants! :) The phone does everything I need it to do and I see no point in tossing it into a landfill unnecessarily. I also don't do anything financial on mobile besides basic credit card purchases.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm

amd2135 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am
I'll join the chorus here on security. Anything older than a 5S isn't supported. Newer versions of iOS contain numerous critical security fixes, and the 5 doesn't get them.
Not to downplay the concern, but it seems planned obsolescence works better when you've got a compelling reason for half your user base to insist the other half upgrade.

Naturally at some point they do have to stop supporting old products for practical reasons, but scheduling a device to be untrustworthy after 5 years really is ridiculous in my opinion, especially since the development had become incremental by the time the iPhone 5 came out.

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I have a 5s. It runs well for what I do. That means I don't spend my life on my phone looking at social media rubbish.

The battery life seems to be in decline by after 3 years that is to be expected. Every LiON battery loses its ability to keep a charge. Physics. I might replace the battery myself- they aren't expensive and I have the tools.

IMO it's foolish not to update the firmware. Security enhancements are added to each version so it's dangerous not to take advantage of that.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 pm

I find apple’s rationale for not supporting older devices reasonable. I can also understand why they slowed down older devices to preserve battery performance but the new solution of cheap battery replacement is a bonus for me, so I won’t complain that they were pressured for PR reasons.

Apple cannot be expected to support older devices and systems forever and chip and component upgrade cycles are very short—making older devices either less useful or completely useless. This is a basic condition of computer technology. If Apple is forced to upgrade older systems, where does it stop? Say I’d like apple to support system 6 on a Mac plus because it may get a virus. Should they be forced to do so? For how long? In perpetuity?

I have an Apple LaserWriter 8500 printer running. This thing is from the early ’90s! I still have a 2009 iMac. It’s running Sierra and gets security updates. That’s pretty good support in my book. But! Both are really sloooow. Apple must be up to something so... anyone interested in an investigation and class action suit? :twisted:

Some people will always see the greener grass but I dont see it. Apple didn’t get to be so successful by giving its customers crap. If you’re a grass is always greener type, to you I say, send all your horrible Apple devices to me and I will dispose of them safely at no cost to you. :D

oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 pm

I have a 6s. I don't see how I won't be using it for a long time even though I hate it. Removing the headphone jack is just dumb.

camper1

Post by camper1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 pm

I don't buy phones. I just take my kids hand-me-downs when they "need" a new phone :D

baritone

Post by baritone » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 pm

I used an iPhone 3 until just a few months ago and only got an iPhone 7 because it will speak thru my hearing aids. Works great. Otherwise I would still use the 3.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 pm

I have a Nexus 5 that is 4 years old. It is not longer getting security updates from Google. I just put a custom ROM on it (Lineage OS) that runs off Nougat and is updated weekly.

edge

Post by edge » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Ya I’m on iPhone 6. Can’t think of a good reason to upgrade. Had the battery replaced for 29$

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm

edge wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm
Ya I’m on iPhone 6. Can’t think of a good reason to upgrade. Had the battery replaced for 29$
Did you notice any difference after the replacement?

I think I'll wait more toward the end of year. My phone and battery seem just fine. But, I hope to keep my 6+ for another 5 years. Apple is suppose to be coming out with an OS upgrade that allows you more visibility on the condition of the battery. I'm looking forward to seeing that before and after the replacement.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Just yesterday, I replaced my 5+ year old Samsung Galaxy S3.

Upgraded to a Google Pixel 2 XL, and the Google Fi network.
Funding secured

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm

I read this thread and shake my head. I don't know how you could be proud of using devices that stopped getting security updates in some cases years ago.

Doesn't matter if you are careful about what sites you visit or apps you install. You are putting everything you have on your phone at risk by using software that is way out of date.

In the smartphone era, there is no such thing as a smartphone you can just buy and use without regular updates. They just don't exist.

I definitely don't judge you if you keep a smartphone that is still actively supported by the manufacturer (meaning, in almost all cases, Apple, since Android phones are notorious for not receiving software updates long term). But I will step on my soapbox for those who are using a smartphone that cannot have its OS upgraded anymore.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:37 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 pm
<<SNIP>>

Me? I've got my trusty little (and it *is* nice and *small*!) BlackBerry, with a nifty little keyboard that my fingernails can click on quite easily.
And i can *feel* when the little keys depress, just like with my nice Olympic typewriter.

RM
:sharebeer
Bought my Blackberry Bold 9930 in 2011. Ive replaced the battery & keyboard. After using my wife's old Galaxy & new Iphone, I find there is no other phone that can serve my purposes any better.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:00 pm

I wouldn’t use a 5- it’s not 64 bit and I’m not sure it is compatible with ios11- it certainly won’t be with ios12 or any new applications. It also represents a security issue, and it also needs a new battery ($80 or so.)

The iPhone SE is a sweet spot- there have been plenty of deals where you can get one for $100-200 brand new- not much more than a battery would cost for an obsolete device.
It’s also much speedier, more compatible, and secure than a 5.

Donate the 5 to a hospice where they use them as end of life music devices.

kewper

Post by kewper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 pm

On year 4.5 with 5S. No problems. Can't see reason to "upgrade" like a chump.

edge

Post by edge » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Yes, it had gotten much slower with short battery life. Now it is as fast as when brand new.

There are already 3rd party apps that show battery capacity. Mine was shot, 45%.
Leif wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm
edge wrote:
Did you notice any difference after the replacement?

I think I'll wait more toward the end of year. My phone and battery seem just fine. But, I hope to keep my 6+ for another 5 years. Apple is suppose to be coming out with an OS upgrade that allows you more visibility on the condition of the battery. I'm looking forward to seeing that before and after the replacement.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm

crg11 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm
I read this thread and shake my head. I don't know how you could be proud of using devices that stopped getting security updates in some cases years ago.

Doesn't matter if you are careful about what sites you visit or apps you install. You are putting everything you have on your phone at risk by using software that is way out of date.

In the smartphone era, there is no such thing as a smartphone you can just buy and use without regular updates. They just don't exist.

I definitely don't judge you if you keep a smartphone that is still actively supported by the manufacturer (meaning, in almost all cases, Apple, since Android phones are notorious for not receiving software updates long term). But I will step on my soapbox for those who are using a smartphone that cannot have its OS upgraded anymore.
Nothing is at risk. Absolutely nothing.

My phone is for entertainment. Talk, text, sports, and general info.

I don't do any banking, investing, or even email. Phone is always unlocked too (because there's nothing on there to protect). I'm not the type that lives his life staring at a 5" screen all day long.

Replacing once every 5-7 years is wise indeed.
Funding secured

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:22 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 pm
Just yesterday, I replaced my 5+ year old Samsung Galaxy S3.

Upgraded to a Google Pixel 2 XL, and the Google Fi network.
Tell me your thoughts on the Pixel, good and bad. That may be my next phone, although I would be coming from Apple so will have more of a learning curve.
What, Me Worry? --Alfred E. Neuman

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm
Nothing is at risk. Absolutely nothing.

My phone is for entertainment. Talk, text, sports, and general info.

I don't do any banking, investing, or even email. Phone is always unlocked too (because there's nothing on there to protect). I'm not the type that lives his life staring at a 5" screen all day long.

Replacing once every 5-7 years is wise indeed.
Are you on a phone contract or a prepaid plan? If the former, an infected phone can send messages or make calls to premium numbers and rack up a huge bill.

Alternately, an infected phone could continually send your precise location to who knows who. What they do with that information is up to them...

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

edge wrote:
I'm right here with you. The battery is still decent so I will hold off replacing the battery on my iPhone 6 till later in the year. In the last 3 years I have yet to see a feature that I need/want therefor I have no need to upgrade. The finger print unlock was huge for me. Facial recognition is still too new to make it worthwhile. Maybe in a year or 2 it will be worth it and I will upgrade. The key for me was to not upgrade my iOS. I am still running iOS 9.3.5 which I think is key to keeping my phone running just as fast as it was the day I bought it. :sharebeer

logicon

Post by logicon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm

I upgrade my iPhone every single year, but I might be a special case. I can get a great discount on one iPhone a year as a benefit at work.

For argument's sake, let's say I bought an iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB, unlocked for $727 (25% off retail) when it came out in 2016. After the iPhone 8 launch, I could have sold the 7 Plus for $630 on Swappa and bought a brand new iPhone 8 Plus for $712 (25% off retail).

For approximately $100 a year I can have the latest and greatest. Considering I spend a decent amount of time on my phone per week (taking pictures, videos, email, banking, etc.) I think it's money well spent.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 pm

iPhone 7 plus. My lst and hopefully my last iphone. Does everything. Hope it endures.
j :D

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Six years ago I needed to replace my Palm PDA but couldn't find anything to fit the bill other than the Apple iPod Touch. I was NOT a fan of Apple, so I figured that I would let Apple pay for my device. I bought an iPod Touch and about $15,000 of Apple stock in my Roth IRA. As of today, I've received about $2,500 in Apple dividends and the stock is now worth about $40,000.

About a year ago I finally bought my first smartphone - an iPhone 7 Plus. My iPhone is first and foremost an internet device when I'm away from home. It's secondary function is as a cell phone. As long as it fits in my budget, I will always own a smartphone and it will always be less than three years old. (BTW, I accidentally smashed my iPhone 7 Plus in a van door in October, so in November I replaced it with an 8 Plus.)
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Every 2-3 years works for me. I don't buy top of the line phones to begin with. The last phone I bought was an Android locked to a pre-paid phone provider. It cost me $40 + $5 for an unlock code so I could use my SIM from a different MVNO. It does everything I need and then some... Web browser, GPS-NAV, Camera, MP3 player, SMS... even Phone (not that I use it for that). I don't understand what people do with these things that requires a $500 phone.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Quickblue02 wrote:
I have a 4 year old iPhone 5s. I'll keep it until it dies.

There's nothing a newer phone has that I want or need.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

crg11 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm

It's all water off a ducks back if you judge me. :) I dont use my 6-7 yr old BB for anything that could cause me grief. I keep the WiFi & bluetooth off and the handset is pw protected.

The older BB was the most secure phones built, until it boarded the android train. FWIW, BB still bills itself as the most secure android phone. There is not a computer in the world that cant be hacked & Android being open source will always be vulnerable regardless of how often its patched.

What we should be just as worried about is that our passwords are probably sitting in a hacker's database. Use an encrypting password vault & change your passwords on a regular basis. I use keepass.

The average hacker is looking for low hanging fruit & my goal is to hang in the higher branches."I dont hafta outrun the bear, I only hafta outrun you!" :sharebeer

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Quickblue02 wrote:
I'm still using a 5 year old iphone 5... No new phones!!!
iPhones? You could have not picked a worse company if you are trying to maintain old products.

alg0280

Post by alg0280 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Jim Beaux wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

It's all water off a ducks back if you judge me. :) I dont use my 6-7 yr old BB for anything that could cause me grief. I keep the WiFi & bluetooth off and the handset is pw protected.
Do you use Multi Factor Authentication for financial websites? Do you use SMS as the MFA mechanism and have it sent to this phone? Just because you don't log into anything important from the phone doesn't mean that the phone still doesn't have valuable information for a hacker.

Deontic

Post by Deontic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm
My previous iphone's home button stopped working which forced me into the iphone 6s that I have now. The battery on the 6s is almost shot and I've been thinking about getting a new iphone until this iphone throttling scandal broke. Now it appears as if Apple will replace the batteries on all iphones 6 and newer for $29. I'm planning on taking advantage of that the next time I'm near one of their stores.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 3837f0e673
Second the battery replacement, especially now since they are on sale. DW and I just went to the local Apple store with our 3 year-old 6S phones. They tested her battery and it showed nearly 100% consumed, mine was only 12% consumed; but will replace both batteries when the replacements come in a few weeks at the Apple store for $29 each. The $29 rate goes back up to $79 after 12/31/2018. Hope to keep them another 3 years.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 pm

I got the battery on my 6s replaced today at the Apple store. Had an appointment. The ‘genius’ ran a few scans, had me pay $.99/mo for another 50GB memory on iCloud, back up my phone and then come back in 3 hours after they installed the battery.

I figure I should be able to have my phone last another few years now. If the battery isn’t great in Dec, maybe I will get another replacement for another $29. I have no complaints.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 am

dia wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:22 am
Tell me your thoughts on the Pixel, good and bad. That may be my next phone, although I would be coming from Apple so will have more of a learning curve.
Hi Dia,
Lots to like with the Pixel 2 XL. Very impressed so far. Also, I love the Google Fi service.

Haven't encountered any negatives yet. Other than just the process of switching phones, getting things set the way I want.

I don't think you'll encounter much of a learning curve. Most of what this phone offers is new to me, and the navigating the Android OS seems pretty straightforward and logical.
Last edited by DanMahowny on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funding secured

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am

amd2135 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am
Are you on a phone contract or a prepaid plan? If the former, an infected phone can send messages or make calls to premium numbers and rack up a huge bill.

Alternately, an infected phone could continually send your precise location to who knows who. What they do with that information is up to them...
Indeed, this would suck badly. I was unaware of this possibility. Thanks.
Funding secured

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

jibantik wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:59 pm
Quickblue02 wrote:
iPhones? You could have not picked a worse company if you are trying to maintain old products.
Hardware or software? Software is hard to beat iOS (6 thru 10.3.3) support and updates. Main hardware advantages of some android phones are replaceable battery and memory slot, but actually repairing broken parts is difficult no matter what phone you have. And many phones have done away with the user replaceable battery. Popular phones like iPhones are easier to find parts and repair folks. Where do I get a screen replacement for my Nokia Lumia?

Do you have a better suggestion? HTC One X? Blackberry 10? Nokia Lumia 920?
The Lumia ran Windows Phone 8, upgradeable to 8.1.
The HTC X One ran Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich upgradable to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (no KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat, or Oreo)
Samsung Galaxy S3 ran Ice Cream Sandwich thru Jelly Bean (2GB RAM did KitKat and if you venture out to LineageOS, Nougat)

https://www.imore.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Deontic wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm
Second the battery replacement, especially now since they are on sale. DW and I just went to the local Apple store with our 3 year-old 6S phones. They tested her battery and it showed nearly 100% consumed, mine was only 12% consumed; but will replace both batteries when the replacements come in a few weeks at the Apple store for $29 each. The $29 rate goes back up to $79 after 12/31/2018. Hope to keep them another 3 years.
Strange that 2 batteries the same age show such different numbers. Could be different usage patterns or maybe the consumed battery was defective. Or maybe the test and/or report is not accurate. Does she use the phone a lot more? How do the 2 phones actually perform in real life? Did it report any additional data like voltage or number of charge cycles?

If I trusted the numbers, I don't know if I'd replace the 12% consumed (88% full) battery if it worked well. There is a greater than 0% chance things go wrong in the battery replacement or the replacement battery is defective. If you knew that 5-10% of the phones had to go back to get repaired again, would you have done it? Hopefully the failure rate is less than 1-2%, but you never know. Plus you take a chance of losing your data or their wiping your phone. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Still on my Note 3 and love it. I've replaced the battery twice. It has a removable battery.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm
jibantik wrote:
Quickblue02 wrote:
Hardware or software? ...
Both.

Apple and their planned obsolescence is well known. Even Google searches for "slow iphone" spike with each iPhone release. Moreover, they do everything in their power to prevent third party repairs, actively create unnecessary new non-standard products, just so you HAVE to live in their ecosystem. Same with their software.

It's a horrible company to maintain old products, not because they are simply unsupportive, but because THEY actively try to PREVENT that.

emoore

Post by emoore » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 pm

jibantik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 pm
inbox788 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm
jibantik wrote:
Quickblue02 wrote:
Hardware or software? ...
Both.

Apple and their planned obsolescence is well known. Even Google searches for "slow iphone" spike with each iPhone release. Moreover, they do everything in their power to prevent third party repairs, actively create unnecessary new non-standard products, just so you HAVE to live in their ecosystem. Same with their software.

It's a horrible company to maintain old products, not because they are simply unsupportive, but because THEY actively try to PREVENT that.

I totally disagree. Apple products are the ones that have lasted the longest for me wether it was an iPhone, iMac, MacBook, etc. I've had a working router that's 10 years old. No other ones I've had lasted more than 3 years.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 pm

jibantik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 pm

While some of this is true, the alternative is often far worse (HTC One X, Blackberry 10, Nokia Lumia 920). What other 5 year old phone is better? Samsung S3 running LineageOS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrwpeQLn70 (it will take a little work to get it installed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYXJq1sln4 )

Aside from Samsung and Nexus/Pixel phones today, I wouldn't trust Lenovo, Asus, LG, Sony, Oppo, ZTE, Motorlola, HTC, or others to be all that usable 5 years from now. Some of these phone might have longer term support than others.
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

I think there's a decent chance I can still run iOS 16.1.2 on my iPhone 8 or iPhone X in 5 years and my kid is still happy with it.
Last edited by inbox788 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:33 pm

alg0280 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:21 pm
Jim Beaux wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Do you use Multi Factor Authentication for financial websites? Do you use SMS as the MFA mechanism and have it sent to this phone? Just because you don't log into anything important from the phone doesn't mean that the phone still doesn't have valuable information for a hacker.
Same can be said about any phone. I use the BB for multi factor- but I am logging in on a laptop using an encrypted multi character ID and an encrypted multi character PW. Someone would have to 1. Hack my laptop 2. crack its encrypted pw vault 3.Hack my very difficult to crack BB 4. Intercept the code. 5. Determine what site its for.

On some sites I have voice verification also so hopefully I have the social engineering angle covered too.

My BB is no more riskier than a new updated open source android. Its a numbers game. The bad guys are focusing on large numbers of popular handsets, and that wont be a BB. Im happy with my setup, and that is the bottom line.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 pm

tarmangani wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 am
I use..........a flip phone (I have enough computers; don't need another one).
amen to that
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:11 am

Keep going! It's nice love having a phone I know how to use. And it's better for the environment to reduce demand on some of the materials in phones. And less support of sweat shops. I have a three year old Moto something. My first smart phone. Though I prefer to use other people's iPhones for video chat due to better video quality...so not perfect.

I wonder how correlated phones and cars are. I keep both until they break.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:38 pm

While I do keep my phones a while, I'd like to offer a slightly contrarian view to the frugality fest here. I'm in concept willing to spend on certain things. A phone is among them because

1) I use it very often (lots of times per day)
2) There is a clear gradation of goodness - more money buys, to a decreasing degree better
3) The price is not really that high (for me)

I'm willing to buy a new mid-range phone every 3 years or so. That gets me a more powerful nicer device with a better user experience. It gets me updated Android OS (important for security) and compatibility with newly developed applications. And I'm saying this as someone who cut the cord on cable and home phone service and runs my cars until they are unreliable. I'm pretty frugal. I'm also not willing to pay the premium for a top end phone (Apple 8/10, Pixel2, Samsung), as I don't need status symbols and don't see enough incremental benefit for the price.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm

My iPhone 6 is 3.5 years old. The battery life is terrible, and I opted for the $29 battery replacement. They told me it would be in stock in two weeks though. Ignoring battery life, the phone performance is noticeably slow. Opening apps and trying to compose a text message are both slow. My wife just upgraded to iPhone 8 (her work paid for it), and she is raving about how fast it is.

If this were the old days of 2 year upgrades for $199, I would have upgraded as soon as I were eligible. But I'm too cheap to pay $800-$900 for a new phone.