Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MathWizard

Re: Still using a 5 year old iphone 5. Who's with me? No new phones!!!

Post by MathWizard » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 pm

2 iPhone 4s' ,

I use my iPhone for work and an 18 month old Nexus 5x for Google Fi.

We may switch my wife to Google Fi and ditch the home phone, or try OOma first.
(I like Vonage but the monthly cost has really gone up.)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

MittensMoney wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:19 pm
Dropped my iPhone 4S on the ground 2 weeks ago, shattered the screen :( . Using my GF's old 6S now, honestly feels like a downgrade, much slower and no noticeable difference in quality of the screen apart from a slight size increase.
73% larger is a "slight" size increase? Crossing my fingers for a "slight" return on my portfolio in 2018 :mrgreen:

Post by 2015 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Sorry can't oblige. Upgrading from my Moto G1st Gen android to G5Plus, even thought the 1st Gen was only 2 years old, was like going from night to day. Best thing I could have done.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

I like fingerprint ID of the iphone 6s but wish it was easier to change your own iPhone battery. I will get a new battery installed before end of 2018 from Apple store for $29 and expect it will last until they stop updating/patching. I don’t do anything financial on my phones.

BH13

Post by BH13 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 pm

revert wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 pm
I'll also mention that many patch notes aren't transparent and don't mention all the numerous bugfixes/security holes fixed in the release. As an example, iOS upgrade notes are very light on details and will usually just highlight new features; exploit fixes are only mentioned if they got mainstream press (like the recent Spectre vulnerability, or the link that was crashing Messages), but that doesn't mean that they aren't chock full of other very important patches.
Actually, Apple provides security release notes for all of its security fixes. For known public vulnerabilities, they mention the CVE #.

Security notes per SW release (MacOS, iOS, Safari etc) here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222
For iOS 11.2.5 patch released yesterday: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208463

As iOS 11 supports iPhone 5S and later, an iPhone 5 is no longer receiving security patches.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 pm

I’ve owned only 2 iPhones in the last many years. I had the 4 when it came out and then the 6s plus—which I currently own. I will take advantage of the $29 battery offer and keep it for a year or two more.

There is a sweet spot for upgrades. In the apple ecosystem, I wouldn’t own a 4 now if you paid me. You can get a 5SE dirt cheap or buy a used phone, or look for offers on a 6 or 7. When you hang on too long, you miss out on faster cellural speeds, features like thumb ID, security updates, and better cameras. I’m going over from att to Xfinity mobile now (byod) and the 5 is not compatible so I would miss out on that deal. It’s like buying a 2 year old Honda Civic to save $1000. Makes no sense to me.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm
My previous iphone's home button stopped working which forced me into the iphone 6s that I have now. The battery on the 6s is almost shot and I've been thinking about getting a new iphone until this iphone throttling scandal broke. Now it appears as if Apple will replace the batteries on all iphones 6 and newer for $29. I'm planning on taking advantage of that the next time I'm near one of their stores.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 3837f0e673
The early batches of the 6S model had a battery defect that would cause the phone to randomly shut down. Follow this link and enter your serial number: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s- ... dshutdown/

If you qualify, you can get a battery replacement for free within 3 years of when you bought your phone.
Thanks for the link. I didn't know that but according to the link my phone isn't one of those affected so it is still $29 for me.

Road2Freedom

Post by Road2Freedom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Still have my 16GB 5S and really don't want to pay for a new phone. The battery drain is frustrating but sounds like I may need to look into the replacement kits people mentioned.

billy269

Post by billy269 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 pm

I am still using a $30 Windows Lumia 640 I bought a couple years back. I'm on Tmobile's old prepaid plan and pay $10 per year for cell service (don't use it much and has no data, but wifi is almost everywhere I go).

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm

I use a Tracfone that costs me about $50 a year.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Still running my iPhone 6 that I purchased 12/2014. Don't have any intentions to upgrade until I have to do (firmware updates or lost/stolen). I will replace the battery when it needs it.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Keeping a phone until it runs out of OS/Security updates is perfectly fine and a frugal thing to do. Keeping it past that time is pound foolish. So much critical info about our daily lives, and financial lives, are on or go through our phones. Keeping the security software up to date is crucial for basic security in our modern world.

Personally I have an iPhone 6, will probably upgrade when the new model comes out in the Fall.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Lol. If it were up to me I’d probably still be using my iPhone 4 ( first smart phone). But I don’t pay for my phone. My employer does and we are onky allowed to have Apple and given new one every 2 years.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:42 pm

My phone is Android but it's five years old. As long as it works I'm not upgrading. Only problem I have with it is sometimes it randomly shuts itself off and the only way I can restart it is to remove and reinsert the battery. Not a big enough of an issue to buy a new one.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Got my little blue 5c in autumn 2013 (if not earlier). When I took it in this past summer for a new battery they determined that the battery could not be replaced so they replaced the whole phone with an identical model. (Actually had that one replaced a few days later when the 1st replacement turned out to be a dud.) So I'm using a brand new old iPhone 5c.

BTW, when I was in France in September I noticed a lot of colorful 5c iphones being carried around by stylish French people.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 am

I don't remember when I got the phone but I am still using Iphone 5S. I replaced the battery 2nd time recently because the battery I replaced 6 months ago failed. I have no plan to replace it now.

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:31 am

My phones are a business expense. I also have a bunch of kids who need phones. To this end, every year I’ve bought the latest and greatest iPhone and one of my kids has received the cast-off. I’ve gone from the iPhone 6 to a 7 and most recently an 8. Aside from annual incremental improvements to the camera, I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference between the three models. If I didn’t have kids needing hand me downs, I’d still be happy with my iPhone 6.

Note— I think the iPhone SE is a solid little phone. Rumour is this phone may receive an update/refresh by Apple in 2018. If I were looking for a simple, basic, less expensive new iPhone, I’d be tempted to purchase this phone or the rumoured upcoming refresh model.

Benton Bair

Post by Benton Bair » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 am

harvestbook wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm
I use a Tracfone that costs me about $50 a year.
Big Easy by Alcatel is a full featured phone with 800 minutes and 1 year of service for less than $30 on ebay. For those who occasionally talk on a phone away from home. :moneybag

matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:30 am

Lol, what a bunch of cheapskate humblebrag posts. I use two tin cans with a piece of string. There, I win.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 am

This thread moved me to make an appointment to get my 6s battery replaced Sunday at our nearby Apple store. That should make help my phone function much better. I’m glad the price will be $29–much better than $79+ they normally charge.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:12 am

Well, I was pretty proud of owning an Iphone 5. I didn't realize it was considered old.

I have never bought an Iphone. I keep getting free ones from people who upgrade. My first Iphone 3 and then Iphone 4 was from an in-law who upgraded, and then my Iphone 5 was given to me by another in-law who found it in storage and by then had long upgraded.

I suspect I will own many Iphones throughout my life but never actually pay for one. 8-)

I am waiting and hoping for an Iphone 7 next, but I think it will be another year or so before one of my in-laws or friends discard them.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 am

GerryL wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 pm
Got my little blue 5c in autumn 2013 (if not earlier).
Likely not earlier, since it was released on September 20, 2013.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 am

I think the no new phone for 6 years crowd primarily considers their device to be a phone. I suspect that I use my iphone SE (not all that expensive) as a phone less than 1% of the time I use it. I no longer have a stand alone camera, all my music is on or streamed by the phone, all the books I "read" are audiobooks on the phone, all my checks are deposited and bills paid on my phone, my VTI is purchased on my phone, got rid of the second TV as all non family room viewing is done on phone, all my BH posts are tapped out from the phone, and on and on...

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:38 am

I have a Samsung Brightside, which is just a phone and camera. I have no desire for a smartphone. My wife is a PT sees more and more neck problems coming into the office from people who stare at their phones all day long. :oops:

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:49 am

I use the Galaxy S8.
Can't wait for the S9
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm
Question for the software tech experts - to Warner 25's point about his/her S3, I have a S4 - how risky do you feel it is to keep an older non-OS/security supported android if it has updated avast or other antivirus program running on it?

Only reason I'd upgrade is if it truly was a security risk. I deposit the occasional check, but only from my secured home wifi. Don't do any other financial or confidential transactions.
Network security person here...

I wouldn’t keep a phone that isn’t getting security updates. Period.

I personally wouldn’t have an Android either, especially an older Android, but I might make an exception for a phone that is getting updates directly from Google. Unless things have changed (I don’t follow the Android market anymore), that means a Google branded phone.

I still have an iPhone 6. Just replaced the battery. I’ll keep it until it stops getting security updates.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:06 pm

jadd806 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 am
My Galaxy S5 was struggling to run Clash of Clans so I had to upgrade to the latest and greatest a few weeks ago. :mrgreen:
My husband replaced his S5 not long ago...AFAIK, he wasn't playing Clash of Clans. :) But it had multiple screen cracks and the battery really wouldn't hold a charge. It lasted over 3 years which I thought was pretty good for how much he uses it.

blevine

Post by blevine » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 pm

While I mentioned above I had just reactivate my iphone 5 (due to repair underway on a 6), my employer just informed me that corporate access via a 5 is no longer to be supported starting in February. Apparently you can't upgrade IOS to latest on the 5 and my employer insists your personal device must be up-to-date or no access to email and other corporate apps/services.

I also hated not having the thumbprint security. Never knew I needed it until I had it and gave it up to go back to the 5.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm

triceratop wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am
ddd wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:06 am
I just replaced the battery in my dying 5s DIY. Now it runs like a new one without a bulky battery case. cost for the battery: $20.
Where did you buy the battery? what equipment did you use to perform the swap. I am in precisely this situation with my 5s.
I bought a battery for my 5s at one of the mall kiosks and they replaced it for $30 and in 10 minutes. Works like new.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pm

I was all in favor of the OP's keep-using-the-old-phone attitude, until...

I have an iPhone 6 that is running painfully slowly.

I went to get the battery replaced and the Apple store guy ran a diagnostic and concluded that my battery was fine; he said I'd only see a tiny increase in performance by replacing the battery.

When I asked why then is my phone running so slowly, he said it was because of the iOS upgrades (which were designed for the newer phones) and he said they're impossible to undo.

Is anyone else frustrated by this?? Or am I missing something here? My phone worked fine several months ago, then I was told to upgrade the iOS to a new version that was inappropriate for my phone, and as a result it runs super slow.

I think I might just have to switch over to Android unless anyone here has any bright ideas.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pm
I was all in favor of the OP's keep-using-the-old-phone attitude, until...

I went to get the battery replaced and the Apple store guy ran a diagnostic and concluded that my battery was fine; he said I'd only see a tiny increase in performance by replacing the battery.

When I asked why then is my phone running so slowly, he said it was because of the iOS upgrades (which were designed for the newer phones) and he said they're impossible to undo.

Is anyone else frustrated by this?? Or am I missing something here? My phone worked fine several months ago, then I was told to upgrade the iOS to a new version that was inappropriate for my phone, and as a result it runs super slow.

I think I might just have to switch over to Android unless anyone here has any bright ideas.
I am also frustrated.. I am forced to upgrade to 11.2 on my 5s by MegaCorp in order to keep accessing my corp email. Not sure I want to do that.

That being said it would be nice to upgrade to a new device so I can use apple pay as it is a bonus for this Chase Freedom quarter.

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:31 pm

mikep wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm
I bought a battery for my 5s at one of the mall kiosks and they replaced it for $30 and in 10 minutes. Works like new.
Given the problems with some Li-ion batteries are you concerned about the battery? I think from some of the clips of these catching on fire I would rather pay the extra and have Apple do it unless I knew for certain they were using the same battery as Apple.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am
...still uses the old micro-USB port
I wish my new phone had the usb-c port for charging, as that is much easier. You don't have to have it the correct way as it is reversable.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm

T-Mobile has started phasing out 2G antennas, so my Motorola W233 candy bar phone stopped working at my house a year or two ago. It was 7 years old.

I replaced it with a Kyocera Rally, another candy bar phone. Unfortunately, it's a piece of junk even though it cost twice as much as my W233.

I've saved thousands of dollars on phone costs and service vs. the norm of upgrading every other year and paying $50+ a month, and I seldom miss it. A smart phone certainly has plenty of uses, but I just don't talk on the phone any more than I have to, and I find browsing the internet on a phone tedious enough I'd only put up with it on my wife's phone when I won't be near a computer anytime soon.

Most importantly, I've realized I very much do not need the constant potential distraction in my pocket.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Leif wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:31 pm
mikep wrote:
Given the problems with some Li-ion batteries are you concerned about the battery? I think from some of the clips of these catching on fire I would rather pay the extra and have Apple do it unless I knew for certain they were using the same battery as Apple.
Apple has had occasional battery problems, too. Most recently, some of their own tech's are puncturing batteries and starting fires when replacing them.

I'd want to know the battery comes from a reasonably reputable supplier and the business providing has a good warranty. It's hard to have much more certainty than that regardless of the brand.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:17 pm

I actually am going to say boo on this.

Get rid of your phone when it stops getting security updates.

Using an insecure device is irresponsible.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Leif wrote:
mikep wrote:
Apple will do it for $29, so you’d actually save a buck.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm
T-Mobile has started phasing out 2G antennas, so my Motorola W233 candy bar phone stopped working at my house a year or two ago. It was 7 years old.

I replaced it with a Kyocera Rally, another candy bar phone. Unfortunately, it's a piece of junk even though it cost twice as much as my W233.

I've saved thousands of dollars on phone costs and service vs. the norm of upgrading every other year and paying $50+ a month, and I seldom miss it. A smart phone certainly has plenty of uses, but I just don't talk on the phone any more than I have to, and I find browsing the internet on a phone tedious enough I'd only put up with it on my wife's phone when I won't be near a computer anytime soon.

Most importantly, I've realized I very much do not need the constant potential distraction in my pocket.
50$/mo is way higher than the base MetroPCS plan I was on before my work got me a phone
IT-DevOps System Administrator

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:54 pm

I dont use my cell phone to access anything that needs security, zip. They are used as a phone and maybe google map.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 am

Angelus359 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm

50$/mo is way higher than the base MetroPCS plan I was on before my work got me a phone
I was comparing to the typical user. I know there's discount providers, although I've never been quite clear what the catch is. MetroPCS is part of T-Mobile, but charges $30 for what T-Mobile charges $40 for.

And the norm in the US is around $50/month - most recent figure I see in a quick search is $47 per device, not per family.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:25 am

R2D2 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pm

This sounds wrong. What is slow? Everything or only certain things? Have you taken steps to minimize the effects?
http://bgr.com/2017/09/19/ios-11-featur ... -speed-up/
https://www.imobie.com/support/speed-up ... e-ipad.htm
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphon ... e-3463276/

It runs a little slow on some things with a 5c, but overall still quite usable. It should be somewhat faster on the 6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgV_Mo-7zQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOr1ns_DO1k

What iOS version are you on? iOS 11.2.5 just got rolled out and 11.3 is in testing. Might you be having network or connection issues? Reset your network settings and see if that helps.
Batteries and Performance
iOS 11.3 adds new features to show battery health and recommend if a battery needs to be serviced. These can be found in Settings -> Battery and are available for iPhone 6 and later.
Additionally, users can now see if the power management feature that dynamically manages maximum performance to prevent unexpected shutdowns, first introduced in iOS 10.2.1, is on and can choose to turn it off. This feature can be found in Settings -> Battery and is available for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
These features will be coming in a later iOS 11.3 beta release.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/01/ ... -ios-11-3/
This update coming soon should let you confirm yourself if there is some old battery related throttling going on.

OP, if the iPhone 5 serves your needs, stick with it. Updating to a 5c gets your a fingerprint reader and latest iOS, which are great. And going to a 5SE would be fantastic. A 6 or 6s gets your a bigger screen and lots of other goodies. And a 7 removes the headphone jack (booh), but is waterproof, not to mention faster, etc. Pick what you need and if your needs are modest, don't get overkill new device like iPhone X.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 am

As long as the battery still holds a charge, seems good to me.
75:25 AA / Expected retirement: 2097

MrJ

Post by MrJ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 am

I am with you! I also have an iPhone 5. Though mine was dropped in the loo by my baby daughter, and I opened it myself to let the components dry out, then when I fitted it back together, I didn't do such a good job, so camera isn't working and the screen isn't attaching well to one corner, so it is raised and there's light leaking from the sides.

I think I'll upgrade to an SE or equivalent at some point. Or maybe a second-hand Pixel 2.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am

I'll join the chorus here on security. Anything older than a 5S isn't supported. Newer versions of iOS contain numerous critical security fixes, and the 5 doesn't get them.

This means the possibility of someone remotely copying the data off of your phone, spying on you, etc. with no visible signs of takeover. An insecure phone simply can't be trusted. Flipping through the list of patched iOS 11 vulnerabilities, it looks like this could happen remotely with no action on your part.

Would you use a broken deadbolt on your home's front door?

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 am

Every new phone I get it's because the old one had busted, usually the screen. My last one I used had a huge cracked screen, I kept using it for a year until it finally died.
Personally I don't get excited about new phones, the sellers make huge over promises and the phones always under deliver. Imo they're not smart at all.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am

mxs wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am
...still uses the old micro-USB port
I wish my new phone had the usb-c port for charging, as that is much easier. You don't have to have it the correct way as it is reversable.
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be backwards-compatible with the other phone chargers I have, the other chargers I see other people have (in case I'm out and about and want to charge my phone), the portable battery charger I have, or my wireless mouse charger. If everything uses the same port, that's what's easier.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:18 pm
Leif wrote:
mikep wrote:
Apple will do it for $29, so you’d actually save a buck.
That deal doesn't apply to the 5s.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

fatlever

Post by fatlever » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:23 am

randomizer wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 am
I refuse to get a phone that doesn't allow you to swap batteries.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 since 2013. It does everything I need it to and I use it heavily. Get a new battery for $10. It feels like I got a new phone.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 am

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:25 am
This sounds wrong. What is slow? Everything or only certain things? Have you taken steps to minimize the effects?
http://bgr.com/2017/09/19/ios-11-featur ... -speed-up/
https://www.imobie.com/support/speed-up ... e-ipad.htm
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphon ... e-3463276/
Thanks! Freeing up a lot of space and getting rid of "motion" seemed to help a lot. I can upgrade to iOS 11.2.5 now. I might set that to run overnight.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 am

fatlever wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:23 am
randomizer wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 am
I refuse to get a phone that doesn't allow you to swap batteries.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 since 2013. It does everything I need it to and I use it heavily. Get a new battery for $10. It feels like I got a new phone.
Same here, wife and I both have a Note3. The worst part about the phone is that there's no excuse to upgrade! We're both running new batteries and I got her a 64G expansion card. It compares very well with the latest generation of Samsung/Apple/Good offerings - similar screen, is fast, lacks nothing.