Using disinfecting wipes to clean surfaces

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Using disinfecting wipes to clean surfaces

Post by Caduceus »

My partner regularly uses disinfecting wipes to clean surfaces and contact objects (like doorknobs, cabinet handles). He does this maybe once or twice a week, and he says that contact objects have more bacteria than the seat of a toilet. I just looked at the price of a packet, and the brand he uses is $4. He goes through maybe half a pack per cleaning. It leaves no smell and is incredibly easy to clean up (just discard the wipes! No prep and no washing!)

Does anyone else do this and is it worth it? It is true that neither of us fall sick and the surfaces are always spotless. But it works out to maybe $15 a month! I am not going to stop him from doing it since he's already doing so much of the housework, but am curious if anyone else does this.

And if you think it's a good idea, are there good brands? I keep hearing stories about Clorox being carcinogenic, etc.
Elsebet

Re: Using disinfecting wipes to clean surfaces

Post by Elsebet »

Just my personal opinion, while I do keep things neat and tidy I do not deep clean that regularly and never use antibacterial agents. I think that it's possible to be too clean and rob the body of having some weaker germs to practice killing so that when a real threat enters the body it is ready for it. :) I rarely get sick myself.
Last edited by Elsebet on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have only seen OCD people do this, but it seems like a good idea. I have no idea how the maids clean knobs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I am not nearly as obsessive about it but I do disinfect surfaces regularly. I use commercial disinfecting wipes on computer equipment but a bleach solution and a reusable cloth rag for other hard surfaces. Even buying commercial quaternary disinfectants and making solution would be less expensive than using commercial wipes and it wouldn't create as much waste.

It is important to follow the instructions when disinfecting or it is for naught. I see people disinfecting using improper technique almost as often as I see them using good technique.

Clorox is a chemical and can be hazardous but diluted and applied properly is harmless even on food surfaces. It basically turns into salt and water. Bleach is cheap and effective.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:15 pm I am not nearly as obsessive about it but I do disinfect surfaces regularly. I use commercial disinfecting wipes on computer equipment but a bleach solution and a reusable cloth rag for other hard surfaces. Even buying commercial quaternary disinfectants and making solution would be less expensive than using commercial wipes and it wouldn't create as much waste.

It is important to follow the instructions when disinfecting or it is for naught. I see people disinfecting using improper technique almost as often as I see them using good technique.
What is good technique in terms of applying the wipes?
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm
What is good technique in terms of applying the wipes?
Depends on the wipes, different types have different requirements that should be outlined on the label for different applications.

Typically you need to use them on a relatively clean surface, ensure the area is dampened, and allow sufficient drying time, which can be much longer than many people allow. Wipe on, dry off doesn't disinfect with most wipes.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I do use those Clorox wipes for some particularly dirty jobs, e.g., cleaning the surface underneath the toilet seat, where I like to avoid runs from spray bottles and don't want to launder the cloths used for that job with my other laundry. (Ewww). But I wouldn't use them for cleaning other surfaces because of the waste and cost. Spraying Clorox cleaner from a bottle onto a cotton cloth that can be laundered works just as well for doorknobs, cabinet knobs, etc. And just fyi: Bleach can ruin the finish on some metal surfaces, especially chrome. Never spray bleach or a cleaner containing bleach on chrome.
ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD »

Yes, most disinfectants need a contact time to be effective, often 30 seconds or more. That means you need to use enough of the product to wet the material enough so that it takes more than that amount of time to dry.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Rupert wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm And just fyi: Bleach can ruin the finish on some metal surfaces, especially chrome. Never spray bleach or a cleaner containing bleach on chrome.
I use diluted bleach on chrome bathroom and kitchen fixtures regularly without a problem. It will affect stainless steel, aluminum, and sterling silver, and probably some other metals. Is it possible the chrome is not chrome but nickel or stainless steel or perhaps that the metal under the chrome is being affected?
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Unless you or someone in your house is at a high risk for infections or actively has an illness you are trying to prevent spreading there is no point in doing this. The same germs that are on the toilet seat are all over the walls of the bathroom and likely your toothbrush too. There is a good mythbusters segment on it that shows just how much water from your toilet gets on everything. Basically you cant stop the germs and most of them aren't bad for the average person so don't worry about it.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Seems like a gallon of bleach, water from the tap, a bowl/bucket, and some rags could do the job. A little bleach in water will do the job. Use old tee shirts or wash clothes as rags.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 pm
Rupert wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm And just fyi: Bleach can ruin the finish on some metal surfaces, especially chrome. Never spray bleach or a cleaner containing bleach on chrome.
I use diluted bleach on chrome bathroom and kitchen fixtures regularly without a problem. It will affect stainless steel, aluminum, and sterling silver, and probably some other metals. Is it possible the chrome is not chrome but nickel or stainless steel or perhaps that the metal under the chrome is being affected?
Not sure. It was a $200 or so Moen bathroom faucet that claimed to be chrome. Perhaps I should amend my prior post to state: "Never spray bleach or a cleaner containing bleach on a fixture claiming to be chrome." Just in case.

As for barnaclebob's comment: Good lord people, close the toilet lid before flushing. That's what it's there for (not for sitting, it turns out).
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Rupert wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm Not sure. It was a $200 or so Moen bathroom faucet that claimed to be chrome. Perhaps I should amend my prior post to state: "Never spray bleach or a cleaner containing bleach on a fixture claiming to be chrome." Just in case.
Wouldn't be surprised if it had some kind of protective coating on it.

EDIT:

Yes, it probably does, and they specifically recommend against using sodium hypochlorite on it.

https://www.moen.com/assets/moencom/doc ... /mf854.pdf
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Rupert wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm
As for barnaclebob's comment: Good lord people, close the toilet lid before flushing. That's what it's there for (not for sitting, it turns out).
Closing the lid does very little.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm Unless you or someone in your house is at a high risk for infections or actively has an illness you are trying to prevent spreading there is no point in doing this. The same germs that are on the toilet seat are all over the walls of the bathroom and likely your toothbrush too. There is a good mythbusters segment on it that shows just how much water from your toilet gets on everything. Basically you cant stop the germs and most of them aren't bad for the average person so don't worry about it.
+1 Best answer so far. The human body has evolved over millions of years to tolerate by far the vast majority of bacterial pathogens that we come into contact with on a regular daily basis. Routine hand washing, particularly before food preparation, is obviously wise. But constant use of antimicrobial soaps, if anything, is probably harmful as the bacteria will develop resistance over time.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm Unless you or someone in your house is at a high risk for infections or actively has an illness you are trying to prevent spreading there is no point in doing this. The same germs that are on the toilet seat are all over the walls of the bathroom and likely your toothbrush too. There is a good mythbusters segment on it that shows just how much water from your toilet gets on everything. Basically you cant stop the germs and most of them aren't bad for the average person so don't worry about it.
That doesn't apply in the kitchen, though.
ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD »

Without knowing what product your partner is currently using this advice is a bit generic, but a few things you could consider:
  1. Change up the active ingredient. Depending what the active ingredient is, it may not be effective against all bacteria/viruses, or the pathogens may develop a resistance. By rotating what you use, you'll target more things and lessen the chance of resistance. One of the cheaper things you can use is bleach. Follow the directions to reach the correct dilution, and keep in contact for at least 2 minutes, then rinse or air dry. Downside to bleach is it can't be used on all surfaces. Other active ingredients will need a different contact time or may need to be rinsed; follow the instructions.
  2. Use soap. Soaping up a surface and wiping it off is a very effective method for cleaning and will remove some germs. This can be very cheap, and quite non toxic. This is easy for large flat surfaces like counters. Then you could use the wipes on harder to clean things like knobs.
  3. Steam cleaners. Again, very effective and non toxic. Can't be used on all products, but those where it can be used it is great at both cleaning and disinfecting.
It depends a lot on the type of environment you have. Soap or detergents is really going to be best at cleaning. Removing dirt, debris, and some germs. This is important because the germs will be less likely to grow if there isn't debris for them to grow on. Bleach, steam, or other disinfecting agents can kill germs, but if you don't clean the surface they will quickly grow back. The best approach is to use a combination. Wash surfaces with soap, and then use a disinfectant on problem areas, such as door knobs, changing tables, or the surface where you prep raw chicken.

Wipes have their place, but some brands can be pricey. Look for bulk deals at Costco/Sams and you might be able to get the house brand with the same active ingredient for a much lower price.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm
That doesn't apply in the kitchen, though.
Soap and water along with normal food handling safety is plenty effective at stopping illness from raw meat. I'll use a bleach spray and extra hand washings when preparing food for large groups of people, when butchering a pig, or something big like that but for day to day meals its just keep the area clean and don't cross contaminate.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm My partner regularly uses disinfecting wipes to clean surfaces and contact objects (like doorknobs, cabinet handles). He does this maybe once or twice a week, and he says that contact objects have more bacteria than the seat of a toilet. I just looked at the price of a packet, and the brand he uses is $4. He goes through maybe half a pack per cleaning. It leaves no smell and is incredibly easy to clean up (just discard the wipes! No prep and no washing!)

Does anyone else do this and is it worth it? It is true that neither of us fall sick and the surfaces are always spotless. But it works out to maybe $15 a month! I am not going to stop him from doing it since he's already doing so much of the housework, but am curious if anyone else does this.

And if you think it's a good idea, are there good brands? I keep hearing stories about Clorox being carcinogenic, etc.
Anyone willing to clean my house can use anything they like and I'll still be super grateful.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm Soap and water along with normal food handling safety is plenty effective at stopping illness from raw meat. I'll use a bleach spray and extra hand washings when preparing food for large groups of people, when butchering a pig, or something big like that but for day to day meals its just keep the area clean and don't cross contaminate.
I take the extra precautions that you take under special circumstances regularly because I don't see much difference with the special circumstances except for the possibility of poisoning more people in your scenario. I also disinfect my bathroom even though it is mostly my own germs which are unlikely to make me sick. Other foods than meat and dairy can also cause food poisoning, of course.

I admit I am a bit OCD about it but I have worked in environments where it was absolutely necessary to disinfect and sterilize things and there is always the possibility of bringing those organisms home. And to be honest, disinfecting with bleach makes me happy! :P
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We pretty much switch over to reusable products anymore.

Much cheaper in the long run.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Classic quote: "The whole world is covered with a fecal veneer; it's just thicker in some places than others"

That being said, you're better off just washing your hands more often, rather than going wild with the chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide. Yes, bacteria are everywhere, but bacterial infections are uncommon for generally healthy people and rarely acquired via fomites (objects/materials that transmit infection). Viral infections (like influenza) are more commonly spread person-to-person or via objects, but you're not going to pick up a virus in your home unless someone sick visits. That's why I alway invite my guests to sit on two-ply plastic sheets that I place on the couch.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by 2015 »

Lysol left on a surface for ten minutes kills 99.9% of all viruses and germs, and even kills germs when diluted.

It amazes me how many people think it's okay to not wash their hands, or to only rinse with water, after using the bathroom. I long ago lost count of how many times I saw that in bathrooms at work, in public places, at the gym, even in grocery store restrooms. Nasty. Just nasty. It's for this reason I stopped shaking hands substituting it for a fist bump.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

Reminds me of a time when I was in medical school. I was eating a granola bar while walking into the student lounge. I sat on a seat which felt sticky. I tried to look st my bottom to see if I could see anything but nothing was obvious. Walked into the bathroom w granola bar in hand, swung around to see if I could see anything in the mirror, and then started to walk out reassured all was fine. Took a big bite of my granola bar as a classmate of mine was walking in and she looked...horrified. Caught red-handed eating in a public bathroom. I was so embarrassed. Didn’t even try to defend myself. Just held my head high and walked out. I’m sure she thought I was the most disgusting human on the planet. That was oh, 15 years ago and I’m still ashamed.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

Bmac wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm
+1 Best answer so far. The human body has evolved over millions of years to tolerate by far the vast majority of bacterial pathogens that we come into contact with on a regular daily basis. Routine hand washing, particularly before food preparation, is obviously wise. But constant use of antimicrobial soaps, if anything, is probably harmful as the bacteria will develop resistance over time.
I love it when science overcomes marketing and fear mongering. My body is an incredible pathogen fighting machine!
If I am stupid I will pay.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:33 pm
Rupert wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm
Closing the lid does very little.
Indeterminate, actually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_plume

Goodness gracious, there's a Wikipedia entry for it! :shock:
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
limeyx

Post by limeyx »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm My partner regularly uses disinfecting wipes to clean surfaces and contact objects (like doorknobs, cabinet handles). He does this maybe once or twice a week, and he says that contact objects have more bacteria than the seat of a toilet. I just looked at the price of a packet, and the brand he uses is $4. He goes through maybe half a pack per cleaning. It leaves no smell and is incredibly easy to clean up (just discard the wipes! No prep and no washing!)

I do it on kitchen surfaces nightly (we have kids, 2.5 and 1) but I use 2-3 wipes total. Also do it on the high chair on an as-needed basis (sometimes more than once per meal it feels like!)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Small spray bottle with Isopropyl alcohol.
Windex.
Hand wipes in small packets.
Sanitizing wipes when traveling and also in the cars.
etc.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

We found the Kirkland brand wipes to function better than Clorox, as they are textured for grime removal. Sadly, my local Costco stopped stocking them :annoyed
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

veindoc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:07 pm Caught red-handed eating in a public bathroom.
A neighbor recounted a story to me on how he and the other workers in the old days in the morgue used to each lunch next to the corpses. Would take lunch mid-autopsy. He said, "like most things, you get used to it."

2015 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:29 pm Lysol left on a surface for ten minutes kills 99.9% of all viruses and germs, and even kills germs when diluted.
WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care:

Code: Select all

Total bacterial counts on the hands of HCWs have ranged from 3.9 × 10^4 to 4.6 × 10^6 CFU/cm2
So, if there are 400 cm^2 of area on a hand, that means there could be 1.6 x 10^9 on a single hand. Killing 99.9% leaves .1 % - which is 1.6 x 10^6.
Now you got me thinking about the dreaded " nappy/diaper change" in the World Health Organization article.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Post by 2015 »

2comma wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 pm
Bmac wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm
I love it when science overcomes marketing and fear mongering. My body is an incredible pathogen fighting machine!
There is nothing "fear mongering" about not wishing to be exposed to someone else's fecal matter. To paint a more blunt picture, people come out of the stall after getting up off the toilet in the gym and walk right out onto the gym floor. Used to see the same thing at work constantly, particularly guys urinating and then walking right out of the restroom. At one workplace, female co-workers told me women can be just as negligent about washing their hands as men. A couple months ago a friend and I didn't bother sitting down at a restaurant after I spotted the cook leaving the bathroom without washing his hands. Back in the 1990's a local LA television station went around and swabbed everything from ATM key pads to shopping cart handles to restaurant table tops. They found lots of and lots of E. coli.

Nasty. Just nasty. Keep your urine and your fecal matter to yourself, thank you.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

I use PDI's Super Sani cloth, which I see in hospitals, doctors' offices. Picked it up on Amazon quite cheaply. I should use it around the house more often, although over-usage is probably counterproductive and we don't have kids or animals.
shess

Post by shess »

2015 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 am There is nothing "fear mongering" about not wishing to be exposed to someone else's fecal matter. To paint a more blunt picture, people come out of the stall after getting up off the toilet in the gym and walk right out onto the gym floor. Used to see the same thing at work constantly, particularly guys urinating and then walking right out of the restroom.
But no matter how many times you disinfect the doorknobs in your own house, you aren't going to impact this problem. That's the primary reason I made a commitment to washing my hands a decade or so ago, because I realized that while my junk might be perfectly fine for me, I'm unintentionally touching things that other people touched after touching their junk. Whether washing my hands after I use the restroom helps anyone else or not, it at least (hopefully) washes off whatever accumulated germs I came into the restroom carrying.

In a home setting, your keyboard and toilet seat are full of germs ... but they are your germs, not random germs. Frequent disinfection probably won't do much, you'll just re-seed those germs on next use.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I wipe the tray and seat buckles and arms on airplanes. I also wipe the tv remote and all surfaces I touch in hotel rooms.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm I use PDI's Super Sani cloth, which I see in hospitals, doctors' offices. Picked it up on Amazon quite cheaply. I should use it around the house more often, although over-usage is probably counterproductive and we don't have kids or animals.
PDI makes quite a few different types of disinfectant wipes, depending upon which organisms are targeted.

For example, "norovirus" (the one often discussed with cruise ship outbreaks, although it can and does occur elsewhere) is not susceptible to most of the regular "cleaning agents", unfortunately.
There is at least one type of PDI wipe that does "work", but it is annoying to use properly (must be applied and left moist for longer than most people want to do, etc.).

One of the most difficult things to really "disinfect" are those remotes in hotel rooms.
One recommendation for those is to bring a good ziplock baggie, and toss the remote in and seal it closed, and then never again actually touch the device.

Another tricky place is buffets, with shared serving utensils. :(
We know of some people on vacations/cruises who do actually use the clear plastic gloves while going through buffet lines, then they dispose of them carefully, and *then* begin to eat... with flatware found elsewhere (e.g., rolled into napkins already place on the tables, or such).
If it's a situation where noro/etc., is raging, I'm not sure that would be sufficient to avoid getting it. There are so many other shared surfaces.
One other annoying thing about noro is that the regular "wash your hands" doesn't "get" norovirus, although of course, getting rid of as much surface <whatever> would help. But using a special (or ordinary) hand disinfectant? Not really.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

For cost effective solutions, I like a spray bottle of ethyl alcohol, sprayed to surface and wipes off. Kills most things on contact, and kills most viruses which cause the illness that people should actually target on things like doorknobs. For example, colds/influenza. The things that most people are susceptible to, regardless of immune status.

However bleach works too (I don't care for the smell), and disinfectant wipes of various kinds all work. They are just more expensive than than a spray bottle of alcohol and a rag.

I clean essentially the entire bathroom and kitchen with alcohol: it disinfects, it 'cleans' (in that it will help with dissolving away greases, soaps, fats, etc), it evaporates, so I don't have to rinse or be obsessive about using too much. Sometime I'll use bathroom cleaners for tub or toilet stains.

Careful, it's FLAMMABLE. :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK214356/
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I lived in Hong Kong during the 2003 SARS crisis where, as the global epicentre of the disease, we had it drummed into us that "1 to 99" should be used to clean everything (1 part bleach to 99 parts water).
I go through a pack of 100 disinfectant wipes each week, sometimes two, in addition to using bleach and water, and detergent.
It is interesting to note the germ killing difference between detergent and disinfectant is just 4%.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I wash with soap and water and use a small amount of spray cleaner in the kitchen and bath. I think coming in contact with normal germs is ...normal. I never buy disinfecting wipes as I think they environmentally wasteful and unnecessary.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm I use PDI's Super Sani cloth, which I see in hospitals, doctors' offices. Picked it up on Amazon quite cheaply. I should use it around the house more often, although over-usage is probably counterproductive and we don't have kids or animals.
PDI makes quite a few different types of disinfectant wipes, depending upon which organisms are targeted.

For example, "norovirus" (the one often discussed with cruise ship outbreaks, although it can and does occur elsewhere) is not susceptible to most of the regular "cleaning agents", unfortunately.
There is at least one type of PDI wipe that does "work", but it is annoying to use properly (must be applied and left moist for longer than most people want to do, etc.).

RM
Thanks for the info. I checked, and my PDI disinfects in two minutes. Does that mean I need to keep wiping for 2 minutes? When I wipe a surface, e.g. kitchen bench or bathroom sink, it seems to air-dry almost immediately.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

neurosphere wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm For cost effective solutions, I like a spray bottle of ethyl alcohol, sprayed to surface and wipes off. Kills most things on contact, and kills most viruses which cause the illness that people should actually target on things like doorknobs. For example, colds/influenza. The things that most people are susceptible to, regardless of immune status.

However bleach works too (I don't care for the smell), and disinfectant wipes of various kinds all work. They are just more expensive than than a spray bottle of alcohol and a rag.

I clean essentially the entire bathroom and kitchen with alcohol: it disinfects, it 'cleans' (in that it will help with dissolving away greases, soaps, fats, etc), it evaporates, so I don't have to rinse or be obsessive about using too much. Sometime I'll use bathroom cleaners for tub or toilet stains.

Careful, it's FLAMMABLE. :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK214356/
hopefully not the “good stuff” (the 500ml tax stamp/strip bottles) but rather the denatured variety {we used to have to keep the taxed stuff under wraps from the undergrads...
...otherwise they’d be lost for use in frat parties 8-) }
WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree »

I don't know if it is worthwhile but I also used disinfectant wipes to clean up kitchen surfaces, toilet surface, and any areas that I accidentally dropped raw meats. I like the fact it makes clean up easier and it also give me a peace of mind that maybe I also get rid of germs. I usually buy them at Costco
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 am
But now some of you are making me paranoid (or health-conscious?) Today I went into two public restrooms and for the first time in my life, I didn't really want to touch the handles on everything inside. It makes sense - wouldn't there be . . . particles everywhere? :( It's really only the restrooms that I've become more sensitive to.
That's why many people use paper towels to avoid touching the faucets and door handles in public restrooms. Not much point in washing your hands and then touching the handle of the door on the way out.

It's also why you often see a trash can just inside the door surrounded by crumpled paper towels that missed or just a pile of crumpled paper towels if there is no trash can!

Also, if my partner were cleaning frequently and using a lot of disinfecting wipes, I would ask my partner if there were any of my habits that my partner considered to be particularly unsanitary and at least consider the response to see if it had any validity. :mrgreen:

Post by 2015 »

shess wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:20 pm
2015 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 am There is nothing "fear mongering" about not wishing to be exposed to someone else's fecal matter. To paint a more blunt picture, people come out of the stall after getting up off the toilet in the gym and walk right out onto the gym floor. Used to see the same thing at work constantly, particularly guys urinating and then walking right out of the restroom.
But no matter how many times you disinfect the doorknobs in your own house, you aren't going to impact this problem. That's the primary reason I made a commitment to washing my hands a decade or so ago, because I realized that while my junk might be perfectly fine for me, I'm unintentionally touching things that other people touched after touching their junk. Whether washing my hands after I use the restroom helps anyone else or not, it at least (hopefully) washes off whatever accumulated germs I came into the restroom carrying.

In a home setting, your keyboard and toilet seat are full of germs ... but they are your germs, not random germs. Frequent disinfection probably won't do much, you'll just re-seed those germs on next use.
It's all about washing your hands. I read somewhere that best practices are to wash hands after toileting, handling money, and before eating. I always use a paper towel when touching a door handle to leave any public restroom as I know at least 10 people before me failed to wash their hands after... Nasty. Just nasty.

Scientific American is hardly "fear-mongering" when they state the following:
Studies have shown that effectively washing with soap and water significantly reduces the bacterial load of diarrhea-causing bacteria.
There is no doubt that washing our hands with liquid soap and water is effective in reducing the spread of infectious microorganisms, including those that are resistant to antimicrobial agents.

When you don’t have the opportunity to wash your hands after touching questionable surfaces, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Limit the touching of your hands to your mouth, nose and eyes.

Further, maintain a healthy microbiota by limiting stress, getting enough sleep and “fertilizing” your gut microbes with a diversity of plant-based foods. It’s not only a small world, but a dirty one as well.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Pajamas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 am
That's why many people use paper towels to avoid touching the faucets and door handles in public restrooms. Not much point in washing your hands and then touching the handle of the door on the way out.
... although that is becoming difficult as bathrooms switch to air dryers as the world goes madly PC + eco-friendly. Paper towels seem to be completely MIA in the EU. And I hate "loitering" in the public bathrooms for longer than necessary.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:29 pm
Pajamas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 am
... although that is becoming difficult as bathrooms switch to air dryers as the world goes madly PC + eco-friendly. Paper towels seem to be completely MIA in the EU. And I hate "loitering" in the public bathrooms for longer than necessary.
Most bathrooms still have toilet paper, at least in the U.S. You might also consider carrying a handkerchief (which has many other uses) or a folded paper towel in your pocket.
mrc

Post by mrc »

This is about hand sanitizer, but wipes are supposed to perform a similar function ....

The labels say “Kills 99.99% of germs.” What does that really mean?
Experts such as Theodor Rosebury estimate that there are 10 million individual bacteria living on the average cm2 of human skin.
Adults possess approximately 17,000 cm2 of skin, with 4.7% or about 800 cm2 on the hands.
So, the average adult hands harbor nearly 8 billion critters.
After wiping out 99.99% of them, only 80 million remain!
Let’s “sanitize” again. Now we’re down to only 800,000. Not that the products really work that way ...
But remember, it only takes one!

Dishwasher and hand washing should be just fine. My grandparents didn't have sanitizers and I'm here.

PS The fact that you can whip kefir in a blender and not kill the little bacterial buggers illustrates how tough and small they are.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

mrc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 pm This is about hand sanitizer, but wipes are supposed to perform a similar function ....

The labels say “Kills 99.99% of germs.” What does that really mean?
Experts such as Theodor Rosebury estimate that there are 10 million individual bacteria living on the average cm2 of human skin.
Adults possess approximately 17,000 cm2 of skin, with 4.7% or about 800 cm2 on the hands.
So, the average adult hands harbor nearly 8 billion critters.
After wiping out 99.99% of them, only 80 million remain!
Let’s “sanitize” again. Now we’re down to only 800,000. Not that the products really work that way ...
But remember, it only takes one!

Dishwasher and hand washing should be just fine. My grandparents didn't have sanitizers and I'm here.

PS The fact that you can whip kefir in a blender and not kill the little bacterial buggers illustrates how tough and small they are.
This is what I tell my lazy kid who wants to use hand sanitizer on dirty hands. The stuff is chemical poison to the germs, so you instead of ingesting a bunch of live germs, you're ingesting 99.99% dead germs and 0.01% live germs and the chemical poison and the dirt.

Just wash your hands!
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic is locked (topic exhausted, derailed).