Microsoft [Frustration update to Windows 10]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MidwestMike

Microsoft [Frustration update to Windows 10]

Post by MidwestMike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 pm

I am trying to do the latest Windows 10 update. It's a huge update which requires a LOT of storage which I do not have. Therefore I am using an external drive with more than enough storage. Trouble is on the screen where the update recognizes the external drive it finds the drive OK but it doesn't display the Continue button which the help says it should. I've now been on hold for over half an hour with Microsoft Support. *(&&^%*&(&(^&&^%$#
Last edited by MidwestMike on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N10sive

Re: Microsoft )*(^*&*%

Post by N10sive » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:55 pm

This might help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... faq_deploy

Go to: How do I upgrade the operating system on my Windows To Go drive

From what I gather you cant direct upgrade from a external hard drive....
Last edited by N10sive on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm

What if you were to temporarily move your files to the external storage, do the update, then move them back? Obviously, this is more practical if you have 3.0USB or other high speed connection.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft [Frustration upgrading to Windows 10]

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pm

I clarified the thread title. To keep this actionable, please state your concerns in a civil, factual manner.

Perhaps supplying more details would help.

While you may be frustrated, please be absolutely sure that you have a full data backup before proceeding. I've upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still pulling data from my Win 7 backup.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:08 pm

MidwestMike wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 pm
I am trying to do the latest Windows 10 update. It's a huge update which requires a LOT of storage which I do not have. Therefore I am using an external drive with more than enough storage. Trouble is on the screen where the update recognizes the external drive it finds the drive OK but it doesn't display the Continue button which the help says it should. I've now been on hold for over half an hour with Microsoft Support. *(&&^%*&(&(^&&^%$#
I've done all the Microsoft updates up to the current time but December's KB4054517, which might or might not be what you're talking about, has never successfully installed. Actually it just keeps trying to reinstall itself even though Update says my system is up to date. I'm still stuck on 16299.98 and apparently will be, forever. I've downloaded and installed manually after uninstalling, rolled back and reapplied the previous (large) update (the "Creator's" update), on and on, tried all known solutions except reinstalling. I'm not that motivated to reinstall, but I wouldn't waste my time waiting for Microsoft to tell me to do that, though.

However none of the updates are all that large, some of them are just time-consuming. If you run out of space doing an update, you just don't have enough space, or something is broken - like in my case.

MidwestMike

Re: Microsoft [Frustration update to Windows 10]

Post by MidwestMike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Lady Geek, I changed the title to read update not upgrade. This is a machine I bought a year ago with Windows 10.

I'm just frustrated that it does not work as advertised. BTW, I'm still on hold.

MidwestMike

Post by MidwestMike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Here's their help screen. As previously stated the Continue button does not display after finding the external drive. And it is a large update probably caused by the security flaws discovered in the chips recently.

Click here for help screen.

Still on hold.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Sanity check - Is the Continue button truly missing, or is it below the bottom of the screen? Perhaps the window is larger than the display and you can't see the scroll bars?

Alternative - Standard procedure is to "gray out" buttons until the criteria to go to the next screen are met. Are any entries grayed out - meaning a condition to continue is not met?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MidwestMike

Post by MidwestMike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:45 pm
Sanity check - Is the Continue button truly missing, or is it below the bottom of the screen? Perhaps the window is larger than the display and you can't see the scroll bars?

Alternative - Standard procedure is to "gray out" buttons until the criteria to go to the next screen are met. Are any entries grayed out - meaning a condition to continue is not met?
The Continue button is missing. The window is as big as it will get and no scroll bars. Nothing is grayed out, zilch!

I gave up on the call for today. I’ll try again tomorrow. Time to watch the Chicago Blackhawks. Also frustrating of late.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 pm

"May I presume that you have pressed the Enter key?" - The Dowager Violet Crawley, Downton Abbey.
“Some depart to remain.”

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 pm

Sorry about your Hawks tonight (the Flyers are in a similar situation). Here's another possibility: How to reclaim space after getting the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 pm

MidwestMike wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 pm
The Continue button is missing. The window is as big as it will get and no scroll bars. Nothing is grayed out, zilch!
Post a screen shot.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 am

If you'd like to clean up the update to make it smaller

Run disk cleanup as admin, and clean everything

Then run cmd as administrator, and then run this.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /resetbase

Then delete everything in c:/windows/software distribution

Then run

Compact.exe /CompactOS:always

You'll now find your OS much smaller.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 am

Question for the OP - who is the maker of the computer? Is it HP?

I had to get rid of my brand new HP laptop because it had trouble doing Windows update.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 am

May I suggest you use the program WinDirStat to visually scan your drive to assist you with freeing up space? This is likely much simpler than the alternatives.

What size drive do you have?

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm

An fyi...

A recent Win 10 1709 cumulative update (KB4056892) has a error in it that bricks computers with AMD chips. If you happen to be running a computer with an older AMD-sourced CPU there's an easy fix. Rather than derail this thread with the workaround, I'll hold off until the OP provides additional detail.

(btw..the error wasn't MS fault. They were working off of an AMD-provided spec that had the base error. MS designed the update per that spec and down AMD computers went..)

MidwestMike

Post by MidwestMike » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm

fishboat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm
An fyi...

A recent Win 10 1709 cumulative update (KB4056892) has a error in it that bricks computers with AMD chips. If you happen to be running a computer with an older AMD-sourced CPU there's an easy fix. Rather than derail this thread with the workaround, I'll hold off until the OP provides additional detail.

(btw..the error wasn't MS fault. They were working off of an AMD-provided spec that had the base error. MS designed the update per that spec and down AMD computers went..)
That sounds like me. I finally got a hold of Microsoft. They worked on it for over an hour without resolving my problem. A level 2 tech is calling me tomorrow night.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm

How do you not have enough storage for the upgrade? Move some of your photos, etc to a free cloud account and then upgrade.

onyxlinkia

Post by onyxlinkia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi Fishboat,

Can you please share the fix? I've been running into this issue. The update failed to apply and my AMD pc kept downloading and trying to apply the update and froze everything up.

Thanks.
fishboat wrote:
An fyi...

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

MidwestMike wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm
fishboat wrote:
An fyi...

That sounds like me. I finally got a hold of Microsoft. They worked on it for over an hour without resolving my problem. A level 2 tech is calling me tomorrow night.
I'm surprised MS didn't handle it..a small download of their software is the workaround.

In my instance, starting around Jan 8th when I pushed the (KB4056892) update, was the update failed to install and a reboot resulted in a bricked machine at the blue-window startup stage. The recovery was to restore the machine to a point previous to the update install and then, see below:

The following is a thread from a MS forum. It begins around Jan 6 of this year. It may be good to read the entire thread, but you'll find the fix on page 10 in a post by a Peter James L...better. You'll be downloading a small application and then using it to tell Win 10 to skip the update. The software will basically quarantine the update and disable it. I assume MS will be issuing a functioning patch as some point to replace KB..892, but in the mean time, this will work. My machine has been stable now since around Jan 10th when I came across the following thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 514?auth=1

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Want to talk about lack of space for Windows 10 1709 upgrade/update? ? ?
Try it on a brand new Lenovo Ideapad 120S with a 32 GB hard drive but which in reality has about 27 GB.
It was a major pain in the neck.

Run Disk Cleanup and get rid of old Windows updates.
On another PC, download and create bootable USB flash drive using Media Creation Tool.
Use the Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 1709 by inserting it into USB port while Windows 10 is running and double-clicking on Setup.exe

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Not helpful for the OP, but this is why I switched to Apple about 8 years ago. Have had no problems since with the same iMac. Just turned on out of the box and has worked ever since. Hard to see ever going back to a Windows PC.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 am

Bmac wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm
Not helpful for the OP, but this is why I switched to Apple about 8 years ago. Have had no problems since with the same iMac. Just turned on out of the box and has worked ever since. Hard to see ever going back to a Windows PC.
Windows updates and lack of disk space is only an issue with the laptops with the 32 GB eMMC hard drives.

MidwestMike

Post by MidwestMike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

Nyc10036 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 am
Bmac wrote:
Windows updates and lack of disk space is only an issue with the laptops with the 32 GB eMMC hard drives.
And that was my problem.

I did get a call from Level 2 support but the guy was unable to fix my problem. I asked him if he could at least make the upgrade display not come up each time I turned my machine on. He said he could. After that I went to bed. The next morning the upgrade display was there. In addition I had some files on my external drive from their attempts to fix my problem. So I reformatted my external drive. Then I thought what the heck I'll try the upgrade again. I got the same lack of storage message as before along with the display to select my external drive. Lo and behold after selecting my external drive the Continue button displayed for the first time. I was able to successfully install the update although it required me to do it in multiple stages.

For what it's worth the update is 1709 aka the Fall Creators Update. This is a major update with many new features described here.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 pm

MidwestMike wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am
Nyc10036 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 am
Bmac wrote:
And that was my problem.

I did get a call from Level 2 support but the guy was unable to fix my problem. I asked him if he could at least make the upgrade display not come up each time I turned my machine on. He said he could. After that I went to bed. The next morning the upgrade display was there. In addition I had some files on my external drive from their attempts to fix my problem. So I reformatted my external drive. Then I thought what the heck I'll try the upgrade again. I got the same lack of storage message as before along with the display to select my external drive. Lo and behold after selecting my external drive the Continue button displayed for the first time. I was able to successfully install the update although it required me to do it in multiple stages.

For what it's worth the update is 1709 aka the Fall Creators Update. This is a major update with many new features described here.
1709 is causing a lot of issues.

I was able to update to 1709 using the method I outlined in my post earlier.

I have almost nothing installed on this Ideapad 120S.
I only have anti-virus and AOMEI Backupper installed.
Everything else goes on the microSD card.
My C:\ is listed as 27.87 GB in size with 10.11 GB free.
You must maintain at least 8 GB free to do an update.

Others have been more adverturous and did a clean install which wipes the entire hard drive but that also means the recovery partition is gone.
That may not be a big issue since I am not sure that going back to 1607 and having to update to 1703 and then 1709 is that great.