Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by retire14 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

Just curious, what is your weekly work-out routines for those in the 60s?
For me--I just added weight training the last 3 months

M: Cardio (40 mins) Stretch (15 mins)
T: weight (30 mins), slow cardio (20mins) stretch (15 mi)
W: Rest
Th: Repeat Monday
F: Repeat Tuesday
Sat: Rest
Sun: Repeat Monday to start cycle again.

Is this good? Should I add anything on my rest days? I would like to add more weight lifting than 2 times/week, but cannot find enough days. Maybe I will do longer in the 2 sessions instead?

darrvao777
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by darrvao777 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Someone on this forum recommended a book called Body by Science (available on Amazon and Kindle) to me

It was really an interesting read recommending high intensity focused weight training once a week and there was a specific chapter for those wishing to tailor the routine to athletes or the elderly

Might be worth a read to optimize your training regimen

RudyS
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by RudyS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

This is likely not optimal but it works for me. 81 years. Every other day I go down the basement where our treadmill is, and a TV with cablebox. I can watch a "one hour" program in about 40 - 45 minutes if I cut commercials. I do about 25 min of misc weight training etc: curls, crunches, push ups, arm row, overhead lifts, and stuff with a band. Then 20-25 min on the treadmill, interval program. My doc says it's fine for me. YMMV. I need to keep this going because I spend way too much time on the BH forum!

User avatar
djpeteski
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by djpeteski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm

If it was me, and I am in my early 50's, I would be looking to do more intensive cardio. You may not want to start there, see a doctor, but I would be looking to have at least 4 sessions of intense cardio lasting more than 30 mins, preferably an hour.

Cardio can be tough on joints, making cycling or swimming a good choice.

Personally this is the schedule I follow, working a full time job:

M: off
T: Swim AM, Run PM
W: Strength AM, Bike PM (speed)
Thur: Bike (interval)
F: Swim AM, Run PM
Sat: Long Bike (90 mins at least)
Sun: Long Swim & Long Run

Obviously that is a lot and you probably don't want to start there, however, I need it. Many years of neglecting to train cardio and some really stubborn weight forces me to do this. You could trade out one of the swims for an additional strength workout.

For running I highly recommend C25k which is a mobile app. Trust it, it will start you off very slow. You need to commit to three runs per week though.

For cardio you could also do one of those cardio weight lifting classes. They typically run about an hour and they will kick your butt.

I also had some success with T-25 which you can pick up on ebay and do in your own home. 25 mins per day and you can increase the weights to make it tougher.

jehovasfitness
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi,

Been lurking past week and just registered to assist.

I work at an active senior center as the wellness coordinator, so I'm happy to help.

I'd start by saying great job on starting the weight training as it becomes even more important as we age.

Studies show 2x week is needed to improve strength and muscle retention, so feel free to stick with that as is, but if you want to add in a 3rd day of course that would likely be even better.

Contrary to popular belief, depending on how you are recovering from workout to workout, you could add in back to back days of weights if your schedule necessitates it.

Is there a reason you have rest days on Weds and Sat? Could that be shifted, or does your schedule find those days are fixed in stone?

It seems you have about an hour alloted for workouts.

You could simply add in 10 mins of a quick weight session on main cardio days and reduce cardio from 40 mins to 30 mins. If you do supersetting, where you basically bunch together 2 weight training exercises together with no rest in between, you can get quite a bit of weight training in, in a short period of time, even 10-mins.

There are endless possibilities here, it comes down to finding what you want to focus more on if you can't add in another day devoted to weights.

Stonebr
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:19 am
Location: Maine

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Stonebr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 pm

1. Hike up a mountain at least once a week.
2. Ride my bicycle at least once a week.
3. Heavy yard work (gardening, snow removal, leaf raking) at least once a week.
4. 1-2 hours yoga at least once a week.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

HRPennypacker
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by HRPennypacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 pm

darrvao777 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm
Someone on this forum recommended a book called Body by Science (available on Amazon and Kindle) to me

It was really an interesting read recommending high intensity focused weight training once a week and there was a specific chapter for those wishing to tailor the routine to athletes or the elderly

Might be worth a read to optimize your training regimen
Also worth reading "The Barbell Prescription"--it's a pretty comprehensive book about strength training and nutrition in older people. (If you don't want to buy the book, just read the articles/forum on www.startingstrength.com).

Farmboyslim83
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:58 pm

I read "Body by Science," tried it out. I think it is tough to do on ones own, getting to true "failure."

I lift M-W-F, total-body routines, super-sets and circuits, as little rest as possible. This makes most of these sessions high-intensity interval training, HIIT. Lot of huffing and puffing, should be cleared by Doc to do this. I try to incorporate 1 or 2 "big boy lifts" each session, squat, dead-lift, bench. I don't go for PR's anymore, stick to lighter weight with more reps.

I walk 5-miles T-Th-Su, play golf on Sa, in season. Walk there too, if I can. Will play more golf someday, not retired yet, so I'm very focused on not getting hurt!

Be 62 this year, have not seen big drop off in driving distance, handicap stays about the same, putting still crappy. C'est la vie! :sharebeer

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by midareff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

I answer this post from my threshold, which may or may not apply to u. I just turned 70 last month so the previous decade I was in my 60's. I am a severe osteoarthritic and weight training at this part of life is OUT, really OUT. I exercise walk two to three miles 4 times a week currently. A few years ago it was 5 X a week and it was a bit further, and a bunch faster. As I approach a trip time I will add some distance and some stairs to make the upcoming ground excursions easier. Hip replacements, left X3, right X4, neck rebuilt 4X.. no stretching at all. Doing all I can and have been for decades. Unfortunately, all I can has been slowly decreasing and there is lots of the world I want to see before ... well, or while I can. Doing my best to confront the inevitable.

retire14
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by retire14 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Thank you for all your replies. Seemed to me that I do not need the rest days (which I thought was important for my aging body to recover), so I will be adding another strength day and another cardio day. Plus looks like I could increase my cardio a notch both in intensity and length. Thank you.

elisa
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by elisa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:32 pm

66-year-old female , retired now for 8 years:
daily AM walk 2.5 miles
3X a week strength training for 20-25 minutes using mostly machines with some free weights
2X a week water fitness
3-5X a week Zumba
daily 20-30 minutes yoga/stretching
15-20 minute easy walk in evening most days
biking is my only transportation so generally several easy city miles a week

While exercise and controlling weight have always been part of my life, exercise became crucial when I began to recover from chemo/radiation in 2012. Key for me is a routine that I mostly enjoy rather than an obligation.

3hrs
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by 3hrs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Good for you to keep active. I'm 64. I get to the gym before school starts. When I retire in June I hope to add more to my list!
M Boot Camp class. High intensity aerobics and weights.
T 30 min stairmill, 30 min run on treadmill
W Step Class -not demanding aerobically but challenging because I have to work at following the step instructions! Lots of laughs at my mistakes.
Th Swim 3500 yds
Fri Repeat Tuesday
Sa Repeat Tuesday plus weights, or get out to snowshoe, climb, or outdoor work around house. etc.
S Rest
I change things up a bit in the late spring when the gym runs the 50 mile swim challenge.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Mon- Fri: Do stuff. Rest. Do wife’s stuff. Nap. Do more stuff.
Sat-Sun: Do stuff with DW. Nap.
Monthly: Doctor Stuff
As needed: Family Stuff.

Somewhere in there I do 20 minutes on an elliptical every other day in our gym room.
Hand weights (tiny ones) and therabands every other day.
And Chi Kung/Tai Chi a couple times a week if I remember.
And Walks as much as I can when I can.
And golf, when my body says it is okay.

Otherwise, things have devolved with age to doing "stuff".

J🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17284
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 pm

I aim for almost every day, with some days more intense than others.

My goals:

45 - 60 minutes almost every day aerobic exercise. Try to alternate days almost never doing the same things on consecutive days, 2 or 3 each day. These include: brisk walking, rowing machine, versaclimber (arms and legs), treadmill, elliptical, Cybex ARC trainer.

Upper and lower strength with weight machines and dumbells - different groups alternate days 2 or 3 times a week for each body area.

I am in early 70's.

sophie1
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by sophie1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm interested to know more about weight training for older adults. I'm in mid-fifties and recently started doing regular bodyweight (planks, pushups, squats etc) and kettlebell exercises, and it's been doing wonders. Feel so much better, more energy, sleeping better, increasing endurance. I'd read that you shouldn't do these more than 3x/week, but I think I do better with daily short (<20 minute) sessions, designed to exercise but not strain to the point of being stiff and sore the next day.

FWIW - I've always noticed that full-on cardio exercise has zero benefit for me in comparison to simply walking for the same length of time unless I go at a moderately strenuous pace for at least 3 hours, e.g. with a hike or bike ride. Even just a 10-15 minute yoga routine is better for me than, say, 30 minutes on a treadmill. Don't know why and I'm sure that's not true for most people. However, I'm not one of those lucky souls with the right kind of endorphin receptors - I get the nausea reaction rather than the euphoria. So I find cardio very unpleasant and difficult to sustain.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17284
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm

retire14 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am
Just curious, what is your weekly work-out routines for those in the 60s?
For me--I just added weight training the last 3 months
M: Cardio (40 mins) Stretch (15 mins)
T: weight (30 mins), slow cardio (20mins) stretch (15 mi)
W: Rest
Th: Repeat Monday
F: Repeat TuesdaySat: Rest
Sun: Repeat Monday to start cycle again.
Is this good? Should I add anything on my rest days? I would like to add more weight lifting than 2 times/week, but cannot find enough days. Maybe I will do longer in the 2 sessions instead?
No expert - but (as in separate post), my understanding is that exercise almost every day is best - with some days more intense than others.

I don't do any stretching.

ChinchillaWhiplash
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Crossfit classes 3-4 times a week. With active rest (biking, hiking, etc) on off days. It's the most intense workout and you be in the class for 1 hour. Warm up, strength training, then a workout which can be about anything. Will most likely be a lot of cardio. Anyone can do it at any age. We have a 72 and 79 year old at our gym. The 72 year old can do more push-ups than me at 50. They will work around any issues you have and will modify accordingly. They worked with me after knee surgery to get my mobility and strength back. I was on crutches for 5 months and had a lot of muscle atrophy. 3 years later can back squat 190 and deadlift 255. I'm 5'9" and used to weigh 165. Now I'm 185 and wear the same waist size, but need bigger shirts for my upper body. Gym is like a family and people will push and encourage you to do things you didn't think were possible. Most gyms offer a free class or 2 to try it out. Make sure it is an actual Crossfit gym with certified trainers though.
Last edited by ChinchillaWhiplash on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

carolinaman
Posts: 3148
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm

midareff wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm
I answer this post from my threshold, which may or may not apply to u. I just turned 70 last month so the previous decade I was in my 60's. I am a severe osteoarthritic and weight training at this part of life is OUT, really OUT. I exercise walk two to three miles 4 times a week currently. A few years ago it was 5 X a week and it was a bit further, and a bunch faster. As I approach a trip time I will add some distance and some stairs to make the upcoming ground excursions easier. Hip replacements, left X3, right X4, neck rebuilt 4X.. no stretching at all. Doing all I can and have been for decades. Unfortunately, all I can has been slowly decreasing and there is lots of the world I want to see before ... well, or while I can. Doing my best to confront the inevitable.
midareff,
Sorry you have so many challenges but you are doing the right thing. Good job and keep it up!

I am age 73 and exercise every day, but the older I get the more injuries I get. I have had nothing as serious as you, but have had major knee surgery. bad back, tendons everywhere seem to be nagging me lately, and now my hip is bothering me. I do not push myself and think I am using common sense, but exercise in old age is challenging. I believe my warranty has run out.

Best wishes,
John

FRANK2009
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by FRANK2009 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm 58 so hopefully close enough. My routine is workout with weights 3x a week. Also walk the dogs 3-4 miles a day. For those interested, a great book for old guys (and girls) into strength training:

The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40.

Sorry, I don't know how to link it without my account coming up.

livesoft
Posts: 61944
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 pm

I don't have a schedule and I don't have a gym membership.

I do core exercises while cooking oatmeal for breakfast as described in another thread. The core exercises are pikes, weighted crunches, planks, push-ups. In addition, I will do some of the exercises described in this NYTimes pieceHow to Build Muscle in 9 minutes.

I've left a pair of 20 lb dumbbells at the bottom of the stairs, so at some point during the day, I will carry them up and down the stairs 5 times. I might do this 5 times a day for 25 flights of stairs with 40 lbs of weight. Usually I do this while I have something in the microwave cooking instead of just sitting or standing around waiting for the timer to go off.

I try to get in some outdoor exercise, too, weather permitting. This consists of either running or walking the dog for 2 to 5 miles and also cycling 20 to 30 miles every day. I don't work anymore, so spending another one or two hours outdoors, but not on a schedule works for me.

So for me, I've just added working out to my normal daily routine just like eating is.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Cyclesafe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 pm

63 retired male here.

I keep it very simple.

Every day I either run 6 miles on the beach or 8 miles on a hill course with +- 1000 ft elevation gain and loss. Also every day, I do a circuit on my Vectra On-Line 1800 weight machine to muscle failure - takes about 20 minutes. Now occasionally it rains or life intervenes and I skip a day. The first three weeks in January I've missed 3 days. But the intent is always there.

The secret is to make exercise a part of one's life. If one has to go to any trouble to do it, one won't. I'm an introvert, so running solo works for me - I certainly understand that this would not be for everyone.

As far as rest is concerned, I have the occasional day off as mentioned, but if I'm dragging, I just run slower or even just alternate with walking. The important thing for me is to get out every day. I've been doing this since I retired in 2000.

lightheir
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by lightheir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 pm
63 retired male here.

I keep it very simple.

Every day I either run 6 miles on the beach or 8 miles on a hill course with +- 1000 ft elevation gain and loss. Also every day, I do a circuit on my Vectra On-Line 1800 weight machine to muscle failure - takes about 20 minutes. Now occasionally it rains or life intervenes and I skip a day. The first three weeks in January I've missed 3 days. But the intent is always there.

The secret is to make exercise a part of one's life. If one has to go to any trouble to do it, one won't. I'm an introvert, so running solo works for me - I certainly understand that this would not be for everyone.

As far as rest is concerned, I have the occasional day off as mentioned, but if I'm dragging, I just run slower or even just alternate with walking. The important thing for me is to get out every day. I've been doing this since I retired in 2000.
Not remotely close to 60 yet myself (early 40s!) but I dream of having good enough joints that I can run 6-8 miles with 1000 ft elevation gain at your age. I've already got early ankle arthritis. Kudos!

Lynette
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Lynette » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm
midareff wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm
I answer this post from my threshold, which may or may not apply to u. I just turned 70 last month so the previous decade I was in my 60's. I am a severe osteoarthritic and weight training at this part of life is OUT, really OUT. I exercise walk two to three miles 4 times a week currently. A few years ago it was 5 X a week and it was a bit further, and a bunch faster. As I approach a trip time I will add some distance and some stairs to make the upcoming ground excursions easier. Hip replacements, left X3, right X4, neck rebuilt 4X.. no stretching at all. Doing all I can and have been for decades. Unfortunately, all I can has been slowly decreasing and there is lots of the world I want to see before ... well, or while I can. Doing my best to confront the inevitable.
midareff,
Sorry you have so many challenges but you are doing the right thing. Good job and keep it up!

I am age 73 and exercise every day, but the older I get the more injuries I get. I have had nothing as serious as you, but have had major knee surgery. bad back, tendons everywhere seem to be nagging me lately, and now my hip is bothering me. I do not push myself and think I am using common sense, but exercise in old age is challenging. I believe my warranty has run out.

Best wishes,
John
Why not join the ladies and me in the water aerobic class? Today we had a very energetic young lady marching up and down the pool making us do all kinds of stuff - zero impact on the joints. There were two gentlemen. :D
Otherwise some of the people simply walk in the pool and do their own exercises.
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

skjoldur
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by skjoldur » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I also do barbell weight lifting based on 'Starting Strength' and 'The Barbell Prescription' 3 days a week with heavy and increasing weights.

I'm 52 so I'm not there yet, but I am becoming aware of how important it is to build and maintain strength and conditioning to combat the effects of aging, so I'm also very interested to hear what people are doing in their 60's.

The barbell training method is demanding. It definitely requires rest days (away from lifting) and it competes for recovery resources with other activities. I take about 1.5 hours to get through a heavy workout (most of which time is waiting to recover between the heavy work sets) but it can be done faster. I really wish I had started doing this when I was much younger. It makes so many other activities easier.

I am also working to increase my cardio (mostly running) which I try to do 3 days a week. But I plan to add biking and swimming.

I'm impressed by some of the workouts mentioned here. 6 to 8 mile runs everyday would be pretty hard for me to achieve (especially with 1000 feet elevation gain) but it sounds like a great goal. I was never a fast runner, but it definitely bums me out how much my pace has slowed over the last 15 years.

livesoft
Posts: 61944
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Hmmm, every time I view this thread, it motivates me to go do another set of carrying dumbbells up and down the stairs. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Bir48die
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:25 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Bir48die » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Have taken a break from this forum but saw this thread and it is one I like to comment on. There is no single answer to this question. Many people are cursed with hereditary barriers to doing some of the exercises or routines suggested so far. I am 62 and have been a gym rat forever but loyal for over 25 years. I have had numerous routines and they differed greatly depending on my age at the time. Now that I'm in my twilight years (not really) I see this as a general rule:

1) Do some cardio at least 3x per week. Could be walking, running, swimming or a class. Some will be low impact and some high impact. What you do will depend on your body and what it can take. I have done high impact until knees were worked on years ago then sciatica and other crap. Now I mellow a lot of that out and walk on treadmill with inclines. I agree that you shoot for at least 45 minutes

2) Do weights at least 3x per week. I have done weights forever. Sometimes I progressed in weights but then I would hurt myself and start all over again. I have kept muscle tone up and now actually have put on a bit of bulk. I totally agree with the idea that if you don't push it a bit you will lose muscle tone quickly. That being said I've snapped a bicep tendon and currently have a partially torn rotator cuff along with hip bursitis. I don't do circuit training. I do three sets at a time and try to do two things at the same time using different muscle groups. Also plenty of core exercises. I can do all of this in 50 minutes.

For those who don't have minor arthritis or have been spared hereditary issues, the experience is joints and tendons getting sore over time. If you do these things enough times they will give you grief. Some don't have this issues but most do. However, the benefits of exercise outweigh by light years any potential injuries. As I retired I am committed more now than ever to do something every day to keep very active.

J295
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by J295 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Age 58. Retired.
Strength and cardio 3x per week. Tweak routines monthly.
Stretch/core 6X per week.
Golf and/or golf practice 6 days per week
Personally, what I put on my plate is every bit as important as routines at the gym.

User avatar
blueblock
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:06 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by blueblock » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm

65 and retired here. I have a heart condition, so I have to avoid strain lest my aorta explode. I see a personal trainer M, W and F for an hour each time. Basically, I do lower weights than I can actually lift, with a higher number of repetitions, usually 15-20 each set for 3 sets.

I warm up, stretch and do some core work for half an hour beforehand. Once with the trainer, the first 10 minutes we work on balance, the next 10 minutes are spent on core work and then 40 minutes are a mix of free weights and machines.

Thanks to fairly bum knees, I can't run, but I try to get 30-40 minutes of brisk walking in each day.

User avatar
fandango
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Greater Atlanta area

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by fandango » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 pm

I have been doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights daily for 10 years.

With weights, be careful. High repetition is better than high weights. Ligaments and tendons get less elastic as you get older and can tear (not something that you want to happen!).

If you get bored, try something new.

I work out in a gym so the social interaction keeps me motivated.

User avatar
black jack
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by black jack » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Inspiring to read the workout regimes of folks here. Midareff, sorry for your difficulties; your spirit of pressing on regardless is also inspiring.

I'm 59, so on the cusp.

-Bike 1 hour twice a day M-Th (commuting to work, lots of opportunities for intervals going up hills and trying to beat red lights). Short rides on weekends running errands. Occasional long rides on weekend.
-Run Tu-Th-Sat or Sun - usually intervals Tu & Th, 30-60 min on weekend.
-Strength training (pullups, pushups, dips, bench press, plyometrics, etc) M-W-F
-Tai chi - 15-30 min every day
-Walk an hour every evening (with the dog), twice on weekends

One more book recommendation: The One-Minute Workout by Martin Gibala. Discusses studies suggesting that short (total 10-12 minutes, including warmup and cooldown) sessions of intervals can be as effective in improving/maintaining aerobic fitness as long (one hour) sessions of lower-intensity cardio. The intervals need not be so intense as to make you hate life (as one article memorably advised years ago). It may even be that brief intense intervals are safer for the heart than longer sessions of less-intense cardio (per some studies cited in the book). When you're retired time may not be as much of an issue, but intervals can also be nice for variety.

Studies suggest that the key to building muscle is working the muscle to failure, and for that more repetitions of lighter weights is as effective as fewer repetitions of heavier weights. But the chance of injuring yourself is less with lighter weights. For Bogleheads, the choice is obvious.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

2015
Posts: 1715
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm

I've recommended Body by Science and The High Intensity Fitness Revolution books previously. These two books transformed my workout and my physiology even though I had been working out for about 4 decades before reading THIFR and later reading BBS this summer. I've never looked better in all the years I've been working out, never spent less time working out, and never been as injury free (zero injuries after reading THIFR and changing workout about 5 years ago).

I'm now of the persuasion that you have to go slow with this stuff, that what's important more than anything is finding something you will stick to. All the books in the world are useless if you are one of these endless people who stream into the gym every January only to disappear by February 1.

Since I was 30, I've believed age is a mental disease, socially contagious as society has a lot invested in believing with age comes limitations. Inoculating myself from this myth has provided extraordinary benefits. My intention is to mimic the aging of bodybuilders, who keep in good health, energy, and vitality until almost the final of year of life, at which time they deteriorate rapidly and then pass away. This requires judicious attention to diet and exercise, but to me it's worth it. I have no interest in lifespan without healthspan.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12874
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Minimum -10,000 steps a day
Weights -Several times per week
Biking -whenever I can
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
friar1610
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: MA South Shore

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by friar1610 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:32 pm

72 and a recovered runner. (Stopped about 5 years ago after doing it regularly for 40 years or so.) Now go to spinning classes 2x weekly (those are my "hard" cardio days.) A couple of times a week I do my moderate cardio: a one hour workout consisting of (1) 10 minute warmup walk on treadmill with increasing elevation and speed so I'm really winded at the end (2) 20 minute C2 rowing session (3) 20 minute elliptical session (4) 10 minute cool down walk on TM. 3-4 days of 50-60 minute outdoor walks/hikes, either instead of or in addition to the other stuff. I don't stretch enough and I don't do weights enough. I'll do great at them for several weeks to several months at a time and then peter out.
Friar1610

darrvao777
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by darrvao777 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm
I've recommended Body by Science and The High Intensity Fitness Revolution books previously. These two books transformed my workout and my physiology even though I had been working out for about 4 decades before reading THIFR and later reading BBS this summer. I've never looked better in all the years I've been working out, never spent less time working out, and never been as injury free (zero injuries after reading THIFR and changing workout about 5 years ago).

I'm now of the persuasion that you have to go slow with this stuff, that what's important more than anything is finding something you will stick to. All the books in the world are useless if you are one of these endless people who stream into the gym every January only to disappear by February 1.

Since I was 30, I've believed age is a mental disease, socially contagious as society has a lot invested in believing with age comes limitations. Inoculating myself from this myth has provided extraordinary benefits. My intention is to mimic the aging of bodybuilders, who keep in good health, energy, and vitality until almost the final of year of life, at which time they deteriorate rapidly and then pass away. This requires judicious attention to diet and exercise, but to me it's worth it. I have no interest in lifespan without healthspan.
Thank you! I remember your recommendations but forgot who provided them

Loved both books and their unique but effective approaches to working out

Toadandfriends
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Toadandfriends » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi,
I recommend lots of balance work (different kinds every day), quick feet (stop self in motion suddenly and balance) and following new routines every day. In short, I love Daily Burn 365. Lots of stability and mobility. The trainers are great, 30 minute new workout every day which is good for the brain and body. Lots of variety so the body is continually challenged. You subscribe and can stream it on a Roku, Ipad, phone, etc. I think the first month is still free but it isn't expensive - I think I pay $10 a month with my annual payment. Modifications for different levels.
:beer

squirm
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by squirm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 pm

I really don't think you need books. Just get your heart rate up for cardio and for lifting you should be a little sore the following day.

M: stretch and cardio (to whatever cardio machine you like) to get your heart beat to the recommended level
T: stretch and lift weights
W:rest
Th: rest

F&S: repeat

do this then switch machines and cardio equipment every other month

Many many years of experience.

January the gyms get flooded with new people, by March 95% of them you'll never see again. I've seen it year after year for decades.

Prudence
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Prudence » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm
I've recommended Body by Science and The High Intensity Fitness Revolution books previously. These two books transformed my workout and my physiology even though I had been working out for about 4 decades before reading THIFR and later reading BBS this summer. I've never looked better in all the years I've been working out, never spent less time working out, and never been as injury free (zero injuries after reading THIFR and changing workout about 5 years ago).

I'm now of the persuasion that you have to go slow with this stuff, that what's important more than anything is finding something you will stick to. All the books in the world are useless if you are one of these endless people who stream into the gym every January only to disappear by February 1.

Since I was 30, I've believed age is a mental disease, socially contagious as society has a lot invested in believing with age comes limitations. Inoculating myself from this myth has provided extraordinary benefits. My intention is to mimic the aging of bodybuilders, who keep in good health, energy, and vitality until almost the final of year of life, at which time they deteriorate rapidly and then pass away. This requires judicious attention to diet and exercise, but to me it's worth it. I have no interest in lifespan without healthspan.
Great advice. Personally, I do cardio (recumbent bike) seven days a week at a very high intensity setting. After many years of weight training three or four days per week I also switched to a high intensity workout approach. Every three days, I do the full workout (just one set per exercise, upper and lower body). I feel better and it has saved me a lot of time. See Doug McGuff on youtube for a high intensity workout.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

My husband does press up and sit-up everyday, maybe 20 each. Then lift some weights. And he walks at least 1-2 Miles, some days twice that if I’m in my art class in the afternoon.
This is on top of 2 days badminton for 1.30 minutes, 2 days of ping pong for 1.30 minutes every other day.
I’m not 60 yet and don’t do any weight lifting, except 2 days of badminton and 2 days of ping pong. One afternoon of yoga per week, an occasional gardening on weekends as well as walking as much as possible. When it gets warmer, I do swimm regularly.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrpotatoheadsays
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by mrpotatoheadsays » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 am

Tom Brady's TB12

randomguy
Posts: 6010
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by randomguy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:48 am

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm
retire14 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am
Just curious, what is your weekly work-out routines for those in the 60s?
For me--I just added weight training the last 3 months
M: Cardio (40 mins) Stretch (15 mins)
T: weight (30 mins), slow cardio (20mins) stretch (15 mi)
W: Rest
Th: Repeat Monday
F: Repeat TuesdaySat: Rest
Sun: Repeat Monday to start cycle again.
Is this good? Should I add anything on my rest days? I would like to add more weight lifting than 2 times/week, but cannot find enough days. Maybe I will do longer in the 2 sessions instead?
No expert - but (as in separate post), my understanding is that exercise almost every day is best - with some days more intense than others.

I don't do any stretching.
To some extent it depends on what else you are doing in life. If in your normal life you are getting 60+ mins of walking by doing things like playing golf, yard work, walking to the store, dance class,..., you don't need to do formal exercise every day. Getting 2-4 high intensity sessions is still needed. My guess is the weight program is too short (40-60 mins tends to be the sweet spot) but it is a pretty vague description:). But I am willing to guess that the above program puts you in the top 10% of active people at just about any age:)

Stretching is one of those things that people debate a lot. I don't think you need to do stretching. But you should be doing some mobility work as you get older.

The one thing about getting old is that you have to be careful not to cross the line of doing too much. At 20, if you over do something, you recover in a day or two. At 60 that same overdoing will cause a strain and your out for a month:) Slowly building up is the way to go when trying something new.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4849
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 am

Not 60 yet (53) but for what it's worth here is what I do.

Like investing I like to keep my exercise and diet routine as simple as possible.

6 or 7 days a week walk on the treadmill in my bedroom for 20 minutes.

6 days a week do the Bullworker Wall Chart Isomertic routine. It takes all of 15 minutes.

This is Monday through Saturday. Sunday I walk but don't do the Bullworker. I have been using the Bullworker on and off since I was 17 years old. It certainly stood the test of time.

I also park far away in parking lots and go to the park when I can to get extra long walks. In the cold weather I go to the local Mall and walk for about an hour.

That's it.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Calli114
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Calli114 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am

retire14 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm
Thank you for all your replies. Seemed to me that I do not need the rest days (which I thought was important for my aging body to recover), so I will be adding another strength day and another cardio day. Plus looks like I could increase my cardio a notch both in intensity and length. Thank you.
A book I need to read again is "Younger Next Year", the co-author compares aging to an incessant erosive tide and for that reason prefers no rest days, or one at the most. It is a humorous read, written by a retired lawyer and his doctor who is trying to keep him in shape.

Limoncello402
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Limoncello402 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am

I like a combination of spinning and pilates. At 61 I work out about 5-6 x a week. I've just started to work with some weights as well. I've never had much upper body strength (female here) and realize I should have done this long ago.

livesoft
Posts: 61944
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am

Calli114 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am
It is a humorous read, written by a retired lawyer and his doctor who is trying to keep him in shape.
His doctor died of cancer at age 58: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/book ... -year.html
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17284
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am
Calli114 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am
It is a humorous read, written by a retired lawyer and his doctor who is trying to keep him in shape.
His doctor died of cancer at age 58: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/book ... -year.html
Yes I saw that - Prostate Cancer. I saw that his father died two days before.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 am

midareff wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm
I answer this post from my threshold, which may or may not apply to u. I just turned 70 last month so the previous decade I was in my 60's. I am a severe osteoarthritic and weight training at this part of life is OUT, really OUT. I exercise walk two to three miles 4 times a week currently. A few years ago it was 5 X a week and it was a bit further, and a bunch faster. As I approach a trip time I will add some distance and some stairs to make the upcoming ground excursions easier. Hip replacements, left X3, right X4, neck rebuilt 4X.. no stretching at all. Doing all I can and have been for decades. Unfortunately, all I can has been slowly decreasing and there is lots of the world I want to see before ... well, or while I can. Doing my best to confront the inevitable.
"midareff", thanks for the courage to share that. That's a lot of walking, sounds like you're doing great. Knees must be good?
My dad was osteoarthritic and it is a painful struggle. I have similar maladies as yourself, perhaps not quite as much.
So, as Bogleheads, we continue to adjust our "activity/therapy/rest allocation" on a glide slope to the inevitable you speak of.
Have a safe trip. Perhaps do some aqua therapy workouts in a heated pool or wading pool?
Aloha,'
j :D

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 am

Calli114 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am
retire14 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm
Thank you for all your replies. Seemed to me that I do not need the rest days (which I thought was important for my aging body to recover), so I will be adding another strength day and another cardio day. Plus looks like I could increase my cardio a notch both in intensity and length. Thank you.
A book I need to read again is "Younger Next Year", the co-author compares aging to an incessant erosive tide and for that reason prefers no rest days, or one at the most. It is a humorous read, written by a retired lawyer and his doctor who is trying to keep him in shape.
Okay, thanks for posting that.
I ordered the book.
"Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond" by Chris Crowley
https://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Yea ... +next+year
Humorously, the last time I think I felt strong, fit and sexy was when disco music was popular. :shock:
j :D

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Talk about disco music, my husband and I still get up and dance when he puts on one of his music DVDs, the BeeGees. That’s how I used to be so slim. Might not be a bad way to exercise. My kids laughed at us when they’re home but hey we got our exercise.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:32 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm
Talk about disco music, my husband and I still get up and dance when he puts on one of his music DVDs, the BeeGees. That’s how I used to be so slim. Might not be a bad way to exercise. My kids laughed at us when they’re home but hey we got our exercise.
Yes. "Stayin' Alive". . . . :D

PhilosophyAndrew
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 pm

I’m in my 50s, so my experiences may or may not be relevant to yours.

I normally work out five days per week for a total of 9-10 hours; one of these hours is with a personal trainer and the rest Involve a variety of cardio and strength training group fitness classes, including two half-hour high intensity interval training sessions. I also take a weekly massage.

This routine works well for me - I’ve never been fitter, and for the first time I enjoy working out. I love found that scheduling this time into my calendar is vital; I try to hold specific workout times and days sacrosanct so they don’t get overridden by all the short-term demands of daily life. It has also been important to me to find a fitness place with a strong sense of community and a focus on overall wellness — more like a supportive family than an impersonal gym.

Finally, I’ve found it is important to take two days each week off from exercise; this gives me more time to do other tights and allows my body to rest.

Post Reply