Cutting cable

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Joejoe00

Cutting cable

Post by Joejoe00 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:13 am

Anyone cut out their cable? If so, what is the best / most relieable way to get the channels you want at a cheaper price? Getting sick of paying 120.00 per month for 700 channels and i only watch 10. Any ideas would help...thnk you.

FiveK

Re: Cutting cable

Post by FiveK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 am

Joejoe00 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:13 am
Anyone cut out their cable? If so, what is the best / most relieable way to get the channels you want at a cheaper price? Getting sick of paying 120.00 per month for 700 channels and i only watch 10. Any ideas would help...thnk you.
Combination of an antenna and Roku works. E.g., see 10 things you need to know about Digital TV Antennas.

Soulparadise

Post by Soulparadise » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 am

One of the best things I have ever done for my pockets! I just pay for wifi and bought an Amazon Fire Stick. Using Kodi and whatever add ons you choose is the best way to get the most out of it.

engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 am

I looked into this. We have Verizon. Due to the bundled discounts they offer, switching to internet only is $20 more for us per month. We'd save the additional programming costs since we don't have basic TV and the equipment costs. Once you add back in the additional streaming services we'd want, we'd only save about $10 a month and not have any sort of DVR capability (set up future recordings of one time shows). We're not ready to make the switch yet. DVR is the primary driver at this point.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 am

Check out YouTube TV -- the husband was just talking about it. We're considering a trial run during the Olympics.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 am

There are many threads on this forum about changing the way you receive media/broadcasts. Just search as there are solid suggestions. I did it a few years back. Options include antenna, TiVo, streaming media devices. You'll need good internet via a wire or wireless. I'd say at least 20 mbps to avoid buffering. My TiVo not only has 500 GB DVR for OTA broadcasts it has built in app for Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, MLB.TV & a few others. Enjoy saving!
Too soon old, too late smart.

grettman

Post by grettman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:49 am

We cut cable 4 years ago. Socking the savings into VTI!

I bought a HD antenna and put it in my attic. Works perfect.

For the rest of the channels, I have Sling but we just got that 6 months ago. Personally, I don't like Sling but my wife loves it.

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:06 am

Cut the cord a couple of years ago.
Use a Roku box since the Apple Tv blew up a couple of months ago.
Either one works fine.

OTA signals not available here so we pretty much stream everything.

Netflix and Amazon Prime we pay for.
PBS we have Passport as contributors.

We often rotate the others (HBO, Showtime, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc) for a few months at a time then cancel.

Currently we have CBS and HBO. I'll probably cancel CBS after a month (NFL Playoffs). HBO seems pretty good.
We tried YouTube Live but it wasnt compelling enough for $35/month.

Regular old YouTube is a good place to watch the PBS NewsHour "live" every evening at 6pm (eastern)or later to stream.
We catch snippets of the late shows, snl, etc there also.

aqan

Post by aqan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 am

We got DirectvNow. Good enough for my light appetite. Fair warning: DVR is non existent so you’ll be frustrated with the ads.
You can probably still get a free apple tv 4k + 4 months prepaid service for $120. Not a bad deal if you want to try.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 am

Have been very happy with an OTA antenna (Free HD, Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, CW) and Sling TV (Orange plan) for $19.99/mo.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:13 am

You're going to get all kinds of replies on this one. We got rid of cable a few years ago and still spend roughly the same as when we had cable but we're in control. The monthly charges are the same every month, we can cancel a streaming service with a few mouse clicks, and we don't have to call every 6-12 months to renegotiate the rate. It's just easier, not necessarily cheaper in the long run.

We live in the mountains and had to spend about $500 getting an antenna mounted on a mast with a rotor to get the network channels. We also subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, and DTV.

Joejoe00

Post by Joejoe00 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:13 am

Has anyone tried SLING TV?

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 am

Joejoe00 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:13 am
We've tried Sling, Playstation Vue, and DTV. Where we live DTV is the better of the 3 and we're grandfathered in pricewise on a package that cost 2x as much now so we'll stick with DTV.

ebeard

Post by ebeard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 am

Hulu Live is $40/month
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 am

Cut it a few years back.
Nothing but an ad delivery system.
Netflix..
Youtube.
OTA antennae works fine but rarely watch "TV" anymore.

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 am

I never really had a cord in the first place, being an early adopter of video streaming and downloaded content. AT one point my ISP provided cable TV for no charge for a year, and I never bothered hooking up the box. For me, video streaming and on-demand services are totally superior to the cable experience. No ads to speak of, and you watch whenever you want. My total bill is $11 a month, or $20 if you count Amazon Prime (I don't because I would have it for the shipping alone).

Most people have the following objections:

1) Sports. Legitimate to an extent, but ESPN and others are beginning to live stream sports. The situation will only improve. For big games like the superbowl, just purchase an $20 antenna.
2) News. Personally, I think cable news rots your brain. But there are some livestream news channels. For serious events like elections, the OTA stations will broadcast.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 am

We cut last month. Saving over $800/year even after paying for Sling.

We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime channels, so with Sling we get most of what we want. Sling is a good interface, feels like a modern interpretation of the cable box. Sometimes the interface is a bit slow. They do their own ad insertion on some networks which can be annoying (playing the same couple of commercials over and over, etc). You can log in to some apps outside of Sling with Sling credentials to avoid the ads.

IMO the cost of a full cable package has grown far too large to justify the utility. We are anything but short of things to watch. You will have to accept that sometimes exactly what you want to watch right this second may not be available. Life goes on.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 am

Joejoe00 wrote:
As said previously, much discussion already on here. If you want a more tailored answer, you should post what you want to watch. Can you get OTA TV where you live? Is live tv important? Sports? News? Do you watch mostly the 4 major networks? Do you need current on air programming? If so, is waiting a day after broadcast to stream OK? And, you will not get the same picture quality while streaming live TV like yesterday’s NFL games as you would with HD cable. But, it was good enough for us. On the other hand, the NCAA College Championship game streamed so badly on two different services that we tried that we would have got in the car and find a bar if we had a team in the fight. The other factor is how many different programs would you want to stream from the same service at once?

I do not think there is any one size answer. And cable was the best deal for us at one point after comparison shopping. Now we use a combination of things and switch it up from month to month.
Last edited by Katietsu on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am

Purchased a Tivo Roamio OTA DVR and we subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Combination works fantastic. We watch programming when we want and absolutely never watch commercials.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am

It's nearly always a good idea to use that search box at the top of the forum page to check for other threads on the same subject before starting a new one.

This subject has been discussed many times before, and a simple search for cutting cable shows the following which you may find helpful:

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... ting+cable

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am

Software
Netflix - paid for by in-laws
Hulu - DW is in the marketing business so we got a free 3-month subscription; may keep it, may not
Amazon Prime - had for years
HBO - mostly for Game of Thrones and Last Week Tonight but now we're finishing up watching Westworld

Hardware
Antenna - a decent-sized one that I put in our attic; still don't get all of the channels reliably though because of weather and what not
We have two blu-ray players that have various apps installed.
Main TV is hooked up directly to my desktop computer
Main TV also has Chromecast
Main TV also has a Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi - used this to watch the Eagles - Vikings game yesterday because my antenna was having trouble
Bedroom TV has Firestick

Edit: Moved "Antenna" from software to hardware.
Last edited by fizxman on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 am

We are on cable from Spectrum, and they are just forcing everyone to get their digital converter boxes, one per TV. It is free for the first year, then $7 per month per box. That is a 20% price increase for 2 TVs and their 'Standard' TV, from around $70 to $84 per month. +
In respect to having to watch commercials, I do not and surf other channels during commercial time, or do other things.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 am

Joejoe00 wrote:
most relieable way to get the channels you want at a cheaper price?
I like local channels as well as specific cable channels and don't watch anything in real time so I want the ability to record shows on all those channels. So for me, all those various boutique options are difficult and require either not being able to record the channel or not getting it altogether.

My solution has been to switch cable providers about every two years. I switch between the local hardwired cable option and the two satellite options that are common. By doing so, every other year I get the introductory rate which last time was $69 a month for around 100 channels. The second year it goes up after the first year introductory rate expires and currently I pay $89 a month. Next year they will jack up the rates again and that is when I switch to one of my other options and go back to their introductory rate.

There is such fierce competition that installation is always free and the only work in it for me is to put the equipment in a box they provide and set it outside my door to be picked up.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 am

TwstdSista wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 am
Check out YouTube TV -- the husband was just talking about it. We're considering a trial run during the Olympics.
Have it. I love it. The only things I miss are the Turner family of channels, but I think those will be coming soon (maybe a few dollar price increase, but worth it to me). If push came to shove during NBA/NCAA playoff basketball time and it doesn't have those channels, I'll probably buy Sling TV for a month or two to view just those. Even in those months I pay for both, it will be cheaper to me than my previous bill was for cable alone.

andrew1976

Post by andrew1976 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 am

Check out Hulu TV ($42/month). It has the most channels out of all the streaming services and I think the stream is better quality than Sling. Also includes cloud DVR. We have a TV in the basement so an antenna won't work. I use a powerline network device to bring a high speed internet connection down there and stream through my Roku device. In restrospect, I'd consider getting an Apple TV device.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm

We cut the cord 5+ years ago. It was part to save money and part to remove the garbage on TV from our lives.

We do have Amazon Prime and will let our daughter watch an occasional cartoon. Overall, TV watching is less than 5 hours per week.

Reading books and playing games are better :)

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Cut Cable in 2014

1) Have renegotiated the Century Link Internet a few times during this span. Currently just did it again with the "price for life" or somthing like that. We are at $45

2) Sling TV $20 - What I like about Sling is The ESPNs, TBS, TNT, AMC, History, Travel Channel and Food Network.

3) Antenna (OTA) gets all the Majors

4) Tried Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, didnt find any worth it because we don't watch much TV and selection lacking once you go thru what you like.

5) We are watchers of YouTube regular on the Roku. We have a lot of interests/hobbies and you'd be surprised the communities they have there.

So, for about $65 I get internet and what I need on TV---which is by FAR less than we used to pay. The only channel I would like and do not get is Discovery Channel.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Cutting cable? where does your ISP coming from? Cellular data. ISP through cable is still the cheapest per $/Gig.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:12 pm

I've tested a couple of the services over the last few weeks. We already had Amazon Prime, but we've added/tried Netflix, DirecTV Now and Sling TV. I plan to keep Netflix - the streaming quality is great and plenty of shows to watch. DirecTV Now has the best channel selection (at least for our family) of the streaming services, but the streaming quality is horrible. Constant buffering issues that no other streaming service has. Sling TV (blue) covers most of our needs and the streaming quality has been good.

I'm hoping a combination of Netflix and Sling will let me drop Comcast, but I'll probably give it another couple weeks to verify.

frazzlefeet

Post by frazzlefeet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

We were going to cut cable 2 weeks ago. While on phone w optimum, they told my husband to keep internet and phone, it would be 85 a month. If we did that, then add a streaming service for local live news and sports, we would be paying the same as we currently do w triple play! I am not ready to give up house phone because it is easier for my little ones to use than our cell phones. So my husband "negotiated" faster internet and dvr (which we didn't have) for 2 years and HBO for 3 months at $10 less per month. Can't say that I wouldn't prefer saving more, but I guess it'll do for now.

I'd like to switch to Fios for intro rate, but my husband was told they have to attach something to our house for that.....

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Can anyone provide a link for an HD antenna that works great for them?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm

When I watch ESPN on Sling TV, it is definitely not as good as cable. It's just not as smooth. Anyone else experience that streaming sports? Perhaps I can upgrade my internet and it will look better???
Mark

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

I cut cable last month too

The fee wasn't crazy and I am one of the few who liked Xfinity but my family simply wasn't watching enough TV to justify paying for it

We utilize Amazon Prime for watching (I'll typically watch on my computer, my wife uses the Roku stick on the TV) and Netflix (free for tmobile unlimited family plan members)

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm

onourway wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 am

We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime channels, so with Sling we get most of what we want. Sling is a good interface, feels like a modern interpretation of the cable box. Sometimes the interface is a bit slow. They do their own ad insertion on some networks which can be annoying (playing the same couple of commercials over and over, etc). You can log in to some apps outside of Sling with Sling credentials to avoid the ads.
Can you please elaborate on which apps you can log into outside of Sling with their credentials? We've had Sling for about a year and I never thought of looking into that.

As for us, we've been cable free for ~2.5 years now. Like many others, we have an antenna and we use Rokus to access Sling, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu(without ads). Works great for us, can't say I miss cable at all.

Since we were forced to Spectrum from Time Warner I have seen some things showing that the cable companies are pushing back. Right now I'm paying twice as much for internet as I would if it was bundled, which increases every year. Also, with a bundle I could get 100Mbps download speeds for 30 bucks, my 60 bucks only gets me 20Mbps without a bundle....

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm

ZapRowsdower wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm
onourway wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 am

Can you please elaborate on which apps you can log into outside of Sling with their credentials? We've had Sling for about a year and I never thought of looking into that.

As for us, we've been cable free for ~2.5 years now. Like many others, we have an antenna and we use Rokus to access Sling, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu(without ads). Works great for us, can't say I miss cable at all.

Since we were forced to Spectrum from Time Warner I have seen some things showing that the cable companies are pushing back. Right now I'm paying twice as much for internet as I would if it was bundled, which increases every year. Also, with a bundle I could get 100Mbps download speeds for 30 bucks, my 60 bucks only gets me 20Mbps without a bundle....
I don't know of where there is a comprehensive list. On my AppleTV once I log in with Sling as the provider in the AppleTV settings it gave me a list of available apps I could sign in to. Not all of them I had access to via Spectrum are there, but a number of them are.

With Spectrum they just raised our rates by $20/month, wouldn't budge an inch (first time in years), and since we were on an old Time Warner plan we were limited to 50/5 speeds. We now pay $65/month for 100/10 internet plus Sling at $25/month.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

With movie passes at $85 per year, Netflix and Prime at $12.99/month seems expensive. I will cut netflix to save $150 a year. But I will still keep my comcast internet.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:08 pm

We tried cable back in the 1980s and quickly found out that we didn't like it. Plus, it was expensive. We have been OTA ever since. When HDTV came about, we upgraded the TV and antenna. In our latest home we bought a 60-mile deep fringe antenna and have a pretty good channel selection though PBS and one VHF station don't always come in well.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Internet-only is not cheap enough for us to be worth it. When you add up the cost of the internet service and then content subscriptions, you're within a couple lunches of the cost of internet + TV (+ sports + DVR + movie channels + live news + don't have to buy a Roku or antenna). Went through all this the last time the cable subscription was up. Comcast has their pricing figured out in my area. Would have to get very slow internet for the price break to be worth it.
Last edited by TOJ on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retire14

Post by retire14 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm

I have a small leaf HD antenna that can be hidden behind the TV for OTA local channels. Then I have DirecTV NOW for cable channels like CNN/FOX/CNBC, etc. plus my sports channels: golf,tennis, ESPN, Big Ten, SEC Network. Works great for me although it took a while for my DW to get used to the remotes (we have apple TV, Roku and Firestick for our 3 TVs). I ended up saving about $100/yr plus I don't have to negotiate prices every 2 years.

If I dont like DirecTV Now (which I do) I can drop it anytime for SLING, Youtube TV, etc. None of the contract game BS that the cable companies are playing. By the way, I used to have SLING, but switched to DirecTV Now.

If you have AT&T Wireless, you can get DirecTV now for a discount.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm

I switched to Playstation Vue a couple month ago. I pay $40/mo out the door. It is only around 40 channels, but a good selection. I compared all the other packages from other providers. They seem to generally exclude a bunch of channels you'll want to make you upgrade. The channels I don't have that I would like would be PBS, History and to a lesser extent the CW. The nice thing is if they jack up the rate or change the packages and I don't like it, I can switch at any time (well, at the end of the month I paid for).

I cut my total bill for internet/"cable" from $130 to $82. I have way less channels, but I didn't need 6 shopping networks, 50 channels in languages I don't speak, etc.

Where I live I have seen internet only specials from $20-$40 a month guaranteed for a year for new customers. I switched from Comcast to AT&T to get a $40 promo for internet.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm

We haven't had true cable tv in close to 10 years. Just don't miss it. Cutting cable seems like a complete no-brainer with all the other cheaper options available. If you're keeping cable, it's for the convenience and that has to be about it. We use a regular cheapo rca antenna I got probably 8 years ago that hides behind the tv and gets us all the network channels. For several years we supplemented with Netflix, but once my wife got through all the programming on there and new content was lacking, we dropped that. I'm currently trying out Sling TV for a couple months. I wanted it for ESPN for college football bowl games. And by committing to 2 months, they gave me a free roku stick. Their lowest rung is $20/month and comes with I believe 20 channels. Seems about like regular cable to me as anything I would have watched on cable is in the $20 package. By spring, I'll probably cancel it as I don't walk much TV spring to fall as I prefer to be outside with my free time.

Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

We cut cable (tv) 5 years ago, kept internet.

First, see what broadcast stations you can get via antenna. Depends on your proximity to towers and local terrain. tvfool.com is a good site. Based on your address it will show what type of antenna you need to pick up which channels. If you want to record OTA, you'll need a DVR - available from channelmaster or TIVO.

Second, pick your streaming device. There's a large selection now...apple tv, roku, amazon fire tv, to name a few.

Third, pick your streaming service. Again, large selection. We've tried hulu, amazon prime, netflix, sling tv, PS Vue. Currently have netflix and PS Vue (playstation console not needed). Vue offers a good channel selection and cloud DVR.

This has saved us around $50/mo. and eliminated contracts/negotiations.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Joejoe00 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:13 am
have you done a forum search for this? you may want to. more threads on this then Bitcoin if anyone thought that was possible.... :|

rob65

Post by rob65 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Marjimmy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm
Can anyone provide a link for an HD antenna that works great for them?
OTA reception is very location specific, but this works well on our second floor (about 28 miles from the towers):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4RA74A/re ... 1786897510

It doesn't work as well on our first floor, so YMMV. With an indoor antenna, you have to play around a bit with placement - generally higher and close to a window works best, but it seems like a couple of feet one way or the other can sometimes make a big difference.
Last edited by rob65 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm

markcoop wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm
When I watch ESPN on Sling TV, it is definitely not as good as cable. It's just not as smooth. Anyone else experience that streaming sports? Perhaps I can upgrade my internet and it will look better???
I've noticed the same thing using the ESPN app on my roku (authenticated using my Comcast account). It seems likes the frames per second is just a little too slow?? Not sure if its an internet speed issue, a router issue, a TV refresh rate issue (although I don't have any problems when using the cable box), or if the problem is on the provider end?? It doesn't seem to be an issue when I stream other types of programming, just live sports.
Last edited by rob65 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 pm

delete duplicate post

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 am

FiveK wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 am
Joejoe00 wrote:
Combination of an antenna and Roku works. E.g., see 10 things you need to know about Digital TV Antennas.
Yup. This. Get a good amplified over the air antenna, and you’ve got a decent amount of sports. Then get an Amazon FireTV or a Roku (I use amazon), and just buy anything you want ala carte, stream via Netflix, etc. I’ve found the amount of tv I’ve watched has dropped dramatically, but the quality has increased. No more Ancient Aliens marathons on in the background all day. If you want dedicated cable channels, then check out SlingTV.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:15 am

Btw, I’ve only skimmed the posts (sorry), but:

-bring your own cable modem if allowed. It’s super easy and will pay for itself in half a year or so. Motorola Surfboard is a pretty good option.

-when comparing bundles, make sure you pay attention to the taxes. In my area, there is a very hefty tax (or maybe it's a "regulatory recovery fee," I forget) that's charged for the TV component but not the internet (something like $10-15). That of course is not quoted in the bundles rates. So don't assume the taxes and fees will scale 1:1 between the two options.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:15 am
Btw, I’ve only skimmed the posts (sorry), but:

-bring your own cable modem if allowed. It’s super easy and will pay for itself in half a year or so. Motorola Surfboard is a pretty good option.

-when comparing bundles, make sure you pay attention to the taxes. In my area, there is a very hefty tax (or maybe it's a "regulatory recovery fee," I forget) that's charged for the TV component but not the internet (something like $10-15). That of course is not quoted in the bundles rates. So don't assume the taxes and fees will scale 1:1 between the two options.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 am

Just for nuthin'...50 years ago I remember 'helping' my dad install and adjust a big roof top antenna. I now find myself thinking about installing a roof top antenna as the first step in cord cutting. Incredible.