Color fringing in new Costco eyeglasses - what gives?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Color fringing in new Costco eyeglasses - what gives?

Post by CULater » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Sister just got new glasses from Costco. They are high-index, progressives, with anti-reflective coating. The frames are full plastic frames. She noticed immediately that there is a significant yellow line, or band, at the top edge of both lenses, which must be color fringing. It is so distracting that she cannot wear them for night driving at all. She returned to Costco and they had nothing to say other than she needed to wear them and get used to it. Wondering if anyone has experienced this with new eyeglasses and what might cause it. Web search has come up with mention of improperly applied anti-reflective coating to the lens material itself. It could be that inexpensive Costco hi-index lenses are made of inferior plastic? I've always worn glasses and have never experienced this, but have not gotten glasses at Costco. What should she do at this point?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

mhalley

Re: Color fringing in new Costco eyeglasses - what gives?

Post by mhalley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Glasses (unless they are sunglasses) are supposed to be “clear as glass” I would escalate and get them replaced. I always heard good things about Costco glasses, surprised at the problem not being addressed.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm

CULater wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 pm
Sister just got new glasses from Costco. They are high-index, progressives, with anti-reflective coating. The frames are full plastic frames. She noticed immediately that there is a significant yellow line, or band, at the top edge of both lenses, which must be color fringing. It is so distracting that she cannot wear them for night driving at all. She returned to Costco and they had nothing to say other than she needed to wear them and get used to it. Wondering if anyone has experienced this with new eyeglasses and what might cause it. Web search has come up with mention of improperly applied anti-reflective coating to the lens material itself. It could be that inexpensive Costco hi-index lenses are made of inferior plastic? I've always worn glasses and have never experienced this, but have not gotten glasses at Costco. What should she do at this point?
Is the top edge frameless? Can you actually see a yellow streak on the lenses? Normally the top edge would be covered by the frame, so do you mean somewhat down from the top edge?

highercall

Post by highercall » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm

My wife and I bought progressive glasses at costco. After about a year or so both glasses anti-reflective coating started wearing off. Went back to costco and they said glasses were past the one year warranty. Not sure if I will get another pair at costco or not. I had always heard of positive reports about buying at costco but we are disappointed with ours.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm
CULater wrote:
Is the top edge frameless? Can you actually see a yellow streak on the lenses? Normally the top edge would be covered by the frame, so do you mean somewhat down from the top edge?
Not frameless. The yellow line or fringe at the top edge of the lenses can be seen only when wearing the glasses and looking through them, and not a streak on the external surface. It is some kind of chromatic aberration when looking through the lenses.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

talzara

Post by talzara » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:54 pm

CULater wrote:
It could be that inexpensive Costco hi-index lenses are made of inferior plastic? I've always worn glasses and have never experienced this, but have not gotten glasses at Costco. What should she do at this point?
She should buy low-index glasses. High-index lens plastic has much more chromatic aberration than low-index lens plastic.

This is measured by the lens material's Abbe number. The higher the Abbe number, the higher the optical quality. Here are the refractive index and Abbe number of common lens materials: http://www.opticiansfriend.com/lenses.html

Low-index CR-39 plastic has a refractive index of 1.498 and an Abbe number of 56.8.

Mid-index plastics (1.54 to 1.60) have Abbe numbers from 30.0 to 47.0.

High-index plastics (1.67 to 1.74) have Abbe numbers from 32.0 to 36.0.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

They may be polycarbonate, which is known for chromatic aberration. I like my 1.60 MR8 lens material from EyeBuyDirect, but definitely get something with higher ABBE number than polycarbonate. I also liked my 1.53 Trivex and 1.50 CR39 lenses, very good ABBE numbers on all those.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 pm

The coloration you're referring to is from the UV and/or AR (anti-reflective) coatings that Costco puts on most of their lenses, often whether you want it or not. This is not a bad thing, even if you're not 100% happy about it. The more choices the optical company offers you, the more time they have to spend with you. Costco is not the cheapest place to get glasses, but like most things at Costco, it's usually a pretty good values.

Ironically, I asked for CR-39 lenses last time time I bought new lenses at Costco, just a month or two ago; they don't seem to offer this basic lens material anymore. Now it's either high-index or polycarbonate. I chose the high-index even though I don't really need it--my Rx is low--because I personally dislike polycarbonate (while it's "safer" and lighter-weight, it may scratch more easily and/or cause distortions, in my experience).

Ignore the slight discoloration; you'll get used to it. Costco, in my personal and professional opinion, does a very good job in their optical lab. The UV coating does give you some protection from UV rays, and the AR coating helps you see more clearly through the lenses and helps people see your eyes better. (At one time I strongly suggested one of the clergy at my congregation get new glasses with AR coating because the lights in the room were reflecting off her lenses and I could barely see her eyes. She had new glasses the following week and thanked me profusely for the suggestion.)

My advice is to just take the best care of your glasses as you can, and buy a new pair once in a while after getting a routine eye exam. Can't hurt!

(disclosure: I'm a retired optometrist. I am not affiliated with Costco or any optical company.)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 pm

How long has she been wearing them? She should get use to them in a few days of continuous use.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 am

Jazztonight wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 pm
The coloration you're referring to is from the UV and/or AR (anti-reflective) coatings that Costco puts on most of their lenses, often whether you want it or not. This is not a bad thing, even if you're not 100% happy about it. The more choices the optical company offers you, the more time they have to spend with you. Costco is not the cheapest place to get glasses, but like most things at Costco, it's usually a pretty good values.

Ironically, I asked for CR-39 lenses last time time I bought new lenses at Costco, just a month or two ago; they don't seem to offer this basic lens material anymore. Now it's either high-index or polycarbonate. I chose the high-index even though I don't really need it--my Rx is low--because I personally dislike polycarbonate (while it's "safer" and lighter-weight, it may scratch more easily and/or cause distortions, in my experience).

Ignore the slight discoloration; you'll get used to it. Costco, in my personal and professional opinion, does a very good job in their optical lab. The UV coating does give you some protection from UV rays, and the AR coating helps you see more clearly through the lenses and helps people see your eyes better. (At one time I strongly suggested one of the clergy at my congregation get new glasses with AR coating because the lights in the room were reflecting off her lenses and I could barely see her eyes. She had new glasses the following week and thanked me profusely for the suggestion.)

My advice is to just take the best care of your glasses as you can, and buy a new pair once in a while after getting a routine eye exam. Can't hurt!

(disclosure: I'm a retired optometrist. I am not affiliated with Costco or any optical company.)
I wonder if she should ask Costco to redo the lenses without the UV/AR coating?

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 am
Jazztonight wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 pm

I wonder if she should ask Costco to redo the lenses without the UV/AR coating?
I specifically asked if I could eliminate the AR coating; the optical clerk smiled and said that the coating was included and they couldn't delete it. Maybe it's different in other Costco opticals. My own experience is that the coloration is less noticeable with time, and the AR coating is mostly a good thing.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm

highercall wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm
My wife and I bought progressive glasses at costco. After about a year or so both glasses anti-reflective coating started wearing off. Went back to costco and they said glasses were past the one year warranty. Not sure if I will get another pair at costco or not. I had always heard of positive reports about buying at costco but we are disappointed with ours.
I've been disappointed by Costco service as well. Sometimes, it's the local manager or department head that doesn't live up to the high expectations we've been sold. Raise the issue with corporate if the local Costco can't help. There are several Costco clubs nearby and the service is variable. The closes Costco is the worst, and I will sometimes go to a further one for better experience.

OP, has your sister talked to the optometrist about it? They may be able to help or facilitate a solution.

Are there any blue lines? I haven't experienced this effect wearing glasses most of my life, but here are a couple of random discussions, and there may be more than one effect from multiple origins.

https://www.indeed.com/forum/job/optici ... ons/t54620
https://ask.metafilter.com/23305/Why-is ... my-glasses