How much $ worth of things have you discarded without using?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

How much $ worth of things have you discarded without using?

Post by Caduceus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm

As an experiment, I kept track of the things I bought but never used to see how wasteful I was. There were quite a few things, unfortunately. I'm not including the things I managed to sell off Ebay.

In total, I think about $300 worth of things!

There were the two books I thought I wanted to read but really didn't, the expired shampoo and face wash from two years ago, a couple of shirts that I don't know why I bought, three decorative prints that I never ended up hanging on the walls and will never use, lots of candles (for house parties that I never ended up throwing), and a couple of small furniture items I never used.

I'm not talking about things I used a little. I'm talking about things I never touched once I bought them.

Good experiment - hopefully there will be none of this crappy shopping behavior in 2018.

RRAAYY3

Re: How much $ worth of things have you discarded without using?

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Sometimes I throw away fruit if it spoils quicker than I expected.

That’s pretty much it. I really don’t spend much money on “things” often.

island

Post by island » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Countless, mostly clothing, accessories. Happy I never added it up.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm
the expired shampoo and face wash from two years ago
Why would you get rid of those?

We hardly throw anything away, living closer to a minimal lifestyle is great in this area :)

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 pm

I used to buy kids' clothes on sale for the next season and they often ended up being the wrong size for the next season. Now, I wait until they need stuff and avoid "saving" money. I used to buy shoes that turned out to be uncomfortable when worn outside the store, but I avoid that by spending money on quality shoes. I also end up throwing away food when I end up not getting home in time to cook and have vegetables spoil. (I usually get meat into the freezer before that happens.)

farnsy

Post by farnsy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Food is an interesting case. I never threw away food until I had a bunch of kids. Now I wonder if even half the food I buy goes into someones mouth before either going bad or getting ground into the floor or thrown away. I'll be happy when they are older and don't do this as much.

As for small durable goods that get purchased and never used, I'm the worst offender. Probably my biggest problem is buying things in large quantity, more than I will use, because it's "cheaper" that way. But I also buy a lot of things (tools, I'm looking at you) that I think I'll use and then hardly or never do. Usually I don't discard them, but I'm thinking I might need to start doing that more.

My wife very often buys toys and activities for the kids that never get used. She does this more often than I buy tools, but they tend to cost less.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:04 pm

I try to track this as well. Sometimes there are things you buy with the best of intentions that just never seem at home in the house. I became more conscious of this after buying some small appliances I absolutely never used, juicer anyone? Oh and organizational bins/containers/pretty baskets, etc. Probably wasted a few hundred on those only to recoup pennies on the dollar in a garage sale. Finally learned my lesson after a few years. Lately I have been wasting money on smart devices. I bought a smart device for my garage door to allow me to open and close it remotely. That was a year ago. Still in the box. Also bought a smart plug that I was supposed to plug my washer/dryer into. Also in the box tucked away in a drawer. That was about 3 months ago.

Occ the kids outgrow off-season items purchased for them on sale before they even have a chance to wear them.
Educational toys for the kids like building a robot or coding games that I have to sit down with them to do, but never get around to.

I actually don't discard any items. I hold on to them, gift them or sell them. I would feel like a complete loser if I just dumped something new into the trash.
Last edited by veindoc on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

I choose not to count it up.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Growing up in poverty, I have never bought anything that has no utility. I rarely buy clothes and when I buy them, they are used for as long as I remember.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 pm

Last edited by F150HD on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:30 pm

There were a few things mostly in the clothes or tools area that that I have bought and did not use, but I don't think they would add up to much $. On the other had I have received gifts that I never used. How do you tell someone to just forget me when it is gift giving time. If I want is badly and need it I can probably afford it and will likely buy it myself.
Bob

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Probably a semester worth of credits freshman year that didn't transfer into my engineering program.

All insurance ever purchased

I usually use every thing once, and then realize it was an impulsive purchase. Examples this year: ebike I then sold on cl for half price, roughed in a basement bath but realize it's not worth the effort to finish, 3d printer, small lathe, small mill.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm

It would easily be in the hundreds of dollars. We are all guilty but my daughter is the worst when it comes to clothes.

We did a lot of discarding and goodwilling during our recent remodel. I don’t even want to think how much of that was never or rarely used.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm

I rarely get things I don't know I will use, and on the few occasions I have I am not inclined to discard them. In fact, I have hanging in my closet a lovely silk blouse I bought knowing that it would need a minor alteration. I bought it when I was still living in Boston. I've been living in Oregon now for over 28 years. It may eventually go to Goodwill.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 pm

island wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm
Countless, mostly clothing, accessories. Happy I never added it up.
+1 :wink:

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Clothes, various home gadgets/repair items, books. They go to a charity operated thrift shop. Better to get them out of the house than to let them pile up.

white_water

Post by white_water » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Gifts, mostly clothes go to homeless shelters esp. for vets. After retirement I had 6-8 gift dress shirts still in the wrapper. Marie Kondo's book helped
figure out what to let go of.

As to the $$ value, pre owned clothes are worth pennies on the dollar. Most year we don't have enough to itemize anyway.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Honestly, I'm a bit afraid of checking the actual numbers on this one. I'm pretty good, but my wife does spend quite a bit on the kids. Most of the stuff never gets used like arts/ crafts stuff. Not because of the kids not wanting to use it, but it gets dispersed throughout the house and can't find the "x that goes with the y to make z". Way too wasteful for my taste.

Also, waste too much food. Again for the kids and they don't end up liking it a week after trying the same thing and loving it at Jack's house. Frustrating!

Good luck.

p.s. I do buy some stuff I thought I would use from Menards and forget to return, i.e. wrong light bulbs, etc...
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 pm

When we last moved from TX to WA I probably dumpstered at least $5-10 grand worth of junk because I didn't have the time or energy to bother with a moving sale. Lots of cheap furniture and tools and assorted junk that had accumulated over the years. Including some stuff that was still in unopened boxes from our last move from AK to TX a decade earlier.

When we were getting ready to show the house our realtor wanted us to really de-clutter as much as possible so 6 months before the move I started moving everything we weren't going to immediately need into a big storage unit a couple blocks away. 6 months later when it came time to load the moving containers and we were under a massive time crunch I ended up tossing a huge amount of stuff into the storage facility dumpster because I was in a hurry and didn't want to have to order up another moving container to pay to move junk that I didn't need.

It wasn't all stuff we bought and never used, but a lot of it was.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Way too much, but I'm trying to change lol

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 am

I would like to thank you all for all the cheap stuff I'm buying on CL and thrift stores. I'm really saving a bundle on all these items you didn't need! :D

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 am

No sure this thread is actionable, but I can think of at least one house and maybe two we bought without really needing. It adds up!

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am

Does gambling count? :twisted:
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:46 am

Caduceus wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm
the expired shampoo and face wash from two years ago,
Lol, don't be a sucker.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am

Cycle wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm
All insurance ever purchased
Interesting thought. It's one of the bigger expense items on the budget. But it's a risk management tool rather than a tangible thing/stuff. But still thinking about it, I only carry liability only + uninsured other party car insurance, so it has its utility.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm

My gym membership.