Xfinity broadband: should I try to negotiate a better deal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AntsOnTheMarch

Xfinity broadband: should I try to negotiate a better deal?

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 am

Comcast/Xfinity upped my broadband price from the “promotional” $55 to $74.95 per month (25 Mbps). I’ve read about negotiating a lower price with them but problem is, I have no leverage. Frontier is the only other wired local provider and I don’t have access to them in my apartment building (I’m sure Xfinity knows this). Should I even bother? Any tips? Experiences you want to share?

Plan B is to switch to Xfinity mobile to save some money on the phone end of things in order to make the whole thing more palatable but if I could switch to another broadband provider, I’d go with T-Mobile’s 55+ special for a phone plan instead. I don’t trust Comcast/Xfinity and would prefer to be with another provider if I had that option.

oldcomputerguy

Re: Xfinity broadband: should I try to negotiate a better deal?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am

Not to sound snarky, but since you indicate that you have no other options available, it seems to me that you've answered your own question.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 am

i've negotiated a better deal for the 11 years I've lived in my house. Almost never paid the list price... I was almost disconnected once, because i got to the retention department and they wouldn't give me a better price, so i told them to turn it off in about a week or so.

They called me out of the blue, the day or two before the turn off and gave me close to what i wanted. (match the DSL company, even though it doesn't work at my house)..

i've continued to get a deal, but i would temporarily turn it off if needed.

plus. my wife isn't on the account, the plan has always been for me to turn it off.. then her sign up for a new move in discount.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am
Not to sound snarky, but since you indicate that you have no other options available, it seems to me that you've answered your own question.
No snark taken, but I think you’re wrong. I’m asking if anyone in a similar situation has tried something that may be worth pursuing—or verifying that it’s definitely not worth it. “Learn from others’ experiences” sort of thing.

:Edited for spelling
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

I negotiate with Xfinity every year and have *no* other internet options. The trick is, it's not a negotiation, it's feigning ignorance and begging.

My plan's official price is $82.95 yet we pay $59.95. Every year I call up and pretend I'm stupid "Hi I'm calling because I can't figure out why my bill has increased. I haven't changed anything and I've lived here for years and I never can understand why the bill just changes all the time".

The front line person usually is nice enough to give me a new "promotional price" for another year, but if not just HUCA (hang up, call again).

Also try the chat function on their website. I've gotten one time credits -- $20 -- just from chatting and asking about the rate. Do that about 6 months after getting the new price and asking if there are any promotions because your bill is pretty steep and you are having trouble affording it.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 am
i've negotiated a better deal for the 11 years I've lived in my house. Almost never paid the list price... I was almost disconnected once, because i got to the retention department and they wouldn't give me a better price, so i told them to turn it off in about a week or so.

They called me out of the blue, the day or two before the turn off and gave me close to what i wanted. (match the DSL company, even though it doesn't work at my house)..

plus. my wife isn't on the account, the plan has always been for me to turn it off.. then her sign up for a new move in discount.
Good info! Thanks!

That’s what I was afraid of after reading stuff on the web. I don’t think I want to try that because we have a home biz and can’t be without internet. So I really don’t think that I could pull it off. But I love your moxy!

pqwerty

Post by pqwerty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:02 am

Cancel the service and then have someone in your house sign up for the current promotional deal. I've personally done with Comcast in the last year without any issues.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:11 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:

Good info! Thanks!

That’s what I was afraid of after reading stuff on the web. I don’t think I want to try that because we have a home biz and can’t be without internet. So I really don’t think that I could pull it off. But I love your moxy!

Can you not deal with even a few days? to have your significant other sign up and get re-hooked up, if they wont give you a better price?
(pay your neighbor 10 bucks to give you access to his/her guest wifi for a day or two.. use the library, tether to a phone or hot spot, etc)

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 am

pqwerty wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:02 am
Cancel the service and then have someone in your house sign up for the current promotional deal. I've personally done with Comcast in the last year without any issues.
You’d have to know my significant other (DW) to know why this would end up being a costly marital disaster not worth any savings. :x

CDub

Post by CDub » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 am

No matter what, it is worth calling. I would call and say the rates are too high and ask “is there anything else you can do for me?”. After that, if the rate is still high and they won’t budge - you can say you’re going to have to look at other options as that’s still too high, are you sure there is nothing you can do for me?

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 am

CDub wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 am
No matter what, it is worth calling. I would call and say the rates are too high and ask “is there anything else you can do for me?”. After that, if the rate is still high and they won’t budge - you can say you’re going to have to look at other options as that’s still too high, are you sure there is nothing you can do for me?
That, I definitely will do.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:26 am

Do you have just the Internet service?

I was able to get a "double play" bundle for a lower price than that for Internet alone.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:52 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:26 am
Do you have just the Internet service?

I was able to get a "double play" bundle for a lower price than that for Internet alone.
Thank you for your response. We don’t have a tv and don’t want one—not are we interested in anything other than broadband internet.

Update: I called frontier to check whether they still do not have service for our building. Turns that they now do. I was hoping for fios or something speedy (would gladly pay same amount for more speed) but after having to answer all sorts of questions, I finally got them to tell me the speeds and they are too slow. It does not work for us with a home biz that requires good upload speeds as well download. I called Xfinity but it looks like I will have to call back during normal biz hours so I’ll call them tomorrow.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 am
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am
No snark taken, but I think you’re wrong. I’m asking if anyone in a similar situation has tried something that may be worth pursuing—or verifying that it’s definitely not worth it. “Learn from others’ experiences” sort of thing.

:Edited for spelling
:beer
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:56 pm

I do not know what kind of home biz you have, but be aware that you could be violating Xfinity’s terms of service by using the residential broadband plan even though it is in your residence.

Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Ants, I have been in the same situation for several years. Comcast was our only option for fast, reliable internet. I would call every year and had success - comcast would give me their promotional rate again, 49.99 for 100 Mbps. This is for internet only, no tv/phone package. Last year at renewal time the rate just stayed the same without needing to call. This may be due to another provider (fiber) finally moving in.

student

Post by student » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 pm

In the past, I was able to negotiate for a better deal. A few weeks ago, Comcast raised the price a lot. After a couple of calls with no results, I gave up.

fandango

Post by fandango » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am

I negotiate with Comcast every year.

Cable and phone companies have a strangebusiness strategy, give new customers a better deal than long term customers. They are turning themselves into a commodity. No wonder people are moving from one provider to another all the time.

I bust that business strategy by saying that I want the best deal they offer, or I am leaving. Works about 80% of the time.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 am

I just called them and they lowered it no questions asked. Took all of 5 minutes. Between this and changing our cell phones over Xfinity mobile (which I will do very soon), I figure to save ~$100/mo. This week’s gotten off to a good start! :D

student

Post by student » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:55 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 am
I just called them and they lowered it no questions asked. Took all of 5 minutes. Between this and changing our cell phones over Xfinity mobile (which I will do very soon), I figure to save ~$100/mo. This week’s gotten off to a good start! :D
Good for you. I guess you are more persuasive than me.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am

student wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:55 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 am
Good for you. I guess you are more persuasive than me.
LOL, I just got lucky, student. :D

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm

You should also negoticate a better deal. I think it is too easy to spend 10 min over the phone to save you $200 a year. I used many ISP, so far I am pretty satisfied with Comcast (speed and service).

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 pm

I consider negotiating with my service providers to be a productive hobby. You have considerably more bargaining power if you are willing to live without their service, which I am. If I'm offered an acceptable price then they get me as a customer.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 pm
I consider negotiating with my service providers to be a productive hobby. You have considerably more bargaining power if you are willing to live without their service, which I am. If I'm offered an acceptable price then they get me as a customer.
Haggling for deal is a hobby. A couple of dollar saving will put a smile on every person. Companies knew this and the will mark up their product by large % and give up small % discount.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Short answer: yes.
Be sure that you did not subscribe to a promotional that included items you do not use. For example, when we haggled, they offered us the "Three in one" promotion (Internet, Voice telephone, and television). We never used the telephone portion but discovered that we were being charged for it at the end of the promotion. Called and changed, reducing our bill by approximately 1/4.

Tim
Last edited by Nowizard on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm

It used to be a negotiation every year with Comcast to lower my rates. The past couple of years though, it was a conversation as I call in for something else and the CSR offers me a lower price without me asking.

You do have leverage. It's called "no contract." Just ask for any new promotions available. I was placed on a plan that saves me $15 when I called last month. Oddly, they didn't require a new contract.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm
It used to be a negotiation every year with Comcast to lower my rates. The past couple of years though, it was a conversation as I call in for something else and the CSR offers me a lower price without me asking.

You do have leverage. It's called "no contract." Just ask for any new promotions available. I was placed on a plan that saves me $15 when I called last month. Oddly, they didn't require a new contract.
That makes customer happy and improve loyalty. Actually price the 2nd, their IPS speed is very consistant. I have deal with AT&T and Centrylink ADL. Speed well below what they said. I hate the word " speed up to". I like the "speed no less than". For last couple of years, Comcast up speed my ISP without increase price.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Xfinity is the only ISP in my town, I haven't tried negotiating for internet

I have removed all my other services to try and save money (phone line, cable, home monitoring, etc)

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Ah yes, the fun yearly ritual where I call Comcast and try asking nicely, begging, feigning confusion over the higher bill, threatening to leave or explore other options, etc. until I find someone who will cut my bill in half for another 12 months.

This last time was the easiest one yet (I just got lucky, last year took several phone calls and threats to disconnect service over 3 weeks):

"I see my bill just went up a lot. Is there anything you can do for me, please?"
"Yes, it looks like we have a promotion for 1/2 the price for the next 12 months, will that work?"
Yes, yes it will. *Enters reminder on calendar in 12 months*

bobolinx

Post by bobolinx » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

In my last town, there was a competition between Fios and xfinity. After the promotion, I would switch to the other service for the best promotional deal. I asked at the FIos store why they did not value their loyal customers. The reply explained that they are rated on new customer sign-ups by the stock market and that they, at the store, were not able to give discounts. Although inconvenient, breaking the contract and switching was the best deal. I actually received a $50 gift card for switching my own coaxial cable from one input to another one year. Now alas...we only have xfinity and I cannot persuade my husband to do without for a better deal. Good Luck!

bmsuter

Post by bmsuter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 am

I just called Xfinity and they reduced my bill for 100 mb/s from 89.95 to 74.95. I told them I was thinking about switching to Fios (not even an option in my area). They didn't call my bluff and just gave me $15 off. It was actually my most pleasant conversation ever with someone at Xfinity.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 am

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:

I've had luck over the years with this method. I always say shut it off in X weeks so I have time to change my mind. Worked very well with Directv. Last time, Comcast offered me virtually nothing. Some free channels. I dumped them for AT&T and got PS Vue in place of cable.

Sadly, I get offers almost every week for new customer deals. They want you to be new. So that is what I do. Switch when my contract ends if they don't move on price. We have AT&T and Comcast, so still not a lot of competition.