Laughter is the Best Medicine - What makes you Laugh?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishandgolf

Laughter is the Best Medicine - What makes you Laugh?

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 pm

To borrow a popular feature from Readers Digest......Laughter is the Best Medicine......well most of the time anyway.

I enjoy hanging out with fun folks.....those with a great sense of humor....can tell a funny joke, story.....give you a "one liner".

I just finished reading "The Snark Handbook"...a Reference Guide to Verbal Sparring. Gotta lotta great laughs from it..... 8-)

Here are a few:

"As you get older, three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two". :confused

"Situation: Someone says, “It’s always the last place you look.” Answer: Of course it is. Why the heck would you keep looking after you’ve found it?"

"Two guys are walking down the street when a mugger approaches them and demands their money. They both grudgingly pull out their wallets and begin taking out their cash. Just then, one guy turns to the other and hands him a bill. “Here’s that $20 I owe you,” he says". :!:

Humor puts me in a good mood............What makes you laugh? :?:
Last edited by fishandgolf on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squirm

Re: Laughter is the Best Medicine - What makes you Laugh?

Post by squirm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:20 pm

My wife and I are very down to earth. Only we know what we really mean by each others jokes. We rarely joke with others cause they wouldn't understand.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:25 pm

puppies and kittens. I put in my will that I wanted to have puppies and kittens at my wake. No one can be unhappy with puppies and kittens around. Of course, my DW asked me how the heck to get them there. I said it wasn't my problem, I will be dead.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 pm

squirm wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:20 pm
My wife and I are very down to earth. Only we know what we really mean by each others jokes. We rarely joke with others cause they wouldn't understand.
Humor, jokes, funny stuff.....if not used with discretion can be as bad or worse......then discussions about religion and politics.

I have four siblings and we all live within a few hours of each other. We get together for birthdays, holidays, etc. We love to talk about old times and our childhood experiences....lots of funs....lots of laughs......

We do have others that we occasionally hang with.......no sense of humor. Good folks...but not joking around with them....... :(

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I burst out laughing the other day in the middle of the Megacorp cubicle farm. The thought crossed my mind: "What am I doing here? How did I get here? It wasn't supposed to be like this!!" regarding my existence as a Megacorp drone with a 3-hour daily round trip commute.

It's so sad that it's quite funny and I had a good belly laugh.

(Besides, loud emotional sobbing would have gotten me some stares.)
Last edited by samsoes on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm

There is a book, first published in 1987, titled Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language, by Richard Lederer, that I use as a laughter prescription. You may have seen excerpts in magazines and in bulk mailings sent by friends. It is a compilation funny mistakes students have made on tests and in essays, howlers found on fill-in-the-blank official forms and other bloopers. I can open it to almost any page and within a few minutes I am laughing out loud.

Examples:
[From a history test:] "Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100-foot clipper."
[From an insurance claim:] "Coming home, I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I didn't have."

When I learn that a friend is undergoing chemo or recovering from a serious illness, I often go out and buy a copy to send to them.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Stand up comedians and comedy movies/shows. There is so much variety. Classics like Richard Pryor and his gang, George Carlin, even Seinfeld.
Many of my friends and family have a dry sense of humor and we have lots of inside jokes. Some of my friends practically everything they say is a joke and to be honest it can get old after a while but I love it most of the time in small doses.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 pm

My kids! They're nuts :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

...OMG...George Carlin...my all time favorite comedian. IMHO...he was the best of the best............

...........I vividly remember his "7 dirty words you can't say in public"..........

I've been thinking about ordering his book....."Last Words"..........

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Henry Cho. Born and raised in Knoxville Tennessee of Korean parents (as he says in his show, "so I'm South Korean"). Sat in his show a couple times, laughed so hard I cried. And his show is totally, spic-n-span clean, in fact he prides himself on never having used a speck of profanity on stage.

ETA: Also, I regularly listen to the NPR podcast "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". It frequently makes me and DW laugh out loud.
Last edited by oldcomputerguy on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Loony Tunes (Bugs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd, etc.), Bob and Ray, Tim Conway, Marx Brothers, Monty Python, Three Stooges, R. Pryor. I was watching an old Conway video the other day and I was crying helplessly with laughter. :D

Edit: Honorable Mention goes to Ron White.
Last edited by FreeAtLast on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:58 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm
Loony Tunes (Bugs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd, etc.), Bob and Ray, Tim Conway, Marx Brothers, Monty Python, Three Stooges, R. Pryor. I was watching an old Conway video the other day and I was crying helplessly with laughter. :D
I gotta give you that. I think that Tim Conway's "Siamese Elephants" skit is the funniest thing I have ever seen on television. And I've been watching television for a long time. :wink:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Ray and Tom Magliozzi from Car Talk. Their laughter is infectious!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:58 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm
I gotta give you that. I think that Tim Conway's "Siamese Elephants" skit is the funniest thing I have ever seen on television. And I've been watching television for a long time. :wink:
Go find one of his "Dorf" videos and prepare to be intubated so you can breath again.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:04 pm

1. Stand up comedy, but it's very hard to find good ones. Netflix has a good library of current comedians, and the Hbo App has a lot of older classics.

2. Classic sitcoms. Everybody Loves Raymond and I Love Lucy.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm
Yeah. They always came on the air right before Wait Wait. So sad when Tom died and they shut down production.

One of my favorite callers had a complaint where his vehicle started up with no problem, initially had a lot of power, but ran real rough for the first couple of minutes, then smoothed out for four or five minutes, at which point the engine just shut down. Turned out that the caller was NASA astronaut John Grunsfeld, and he was calling live from inside the space shuttle in orbit.

I still listen occasionally to one of their “best of” CDs. Priceless.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Car Talk was the most favorite radio talk shows (for my father-in-law) of all time. I know nothing about cars but could not help but tune in every Saturday morning at 9:00 on Public Radio. Both Tom Magliozzi and my father-in-law --Raymond--are now in Car Talk heaven.......my wife and I still listen to Car Talk repeats often......

In fact, my FIL borrowed me a cassette tape "The Best of Car Talk" while traveling on a business trip many moons ago. I was laughing so hard ....I missed my exit (this is in Chicago area.....coming out of Rockford)....had to drive nearly one hour to the next exit. Needless to say, I missed my appointment.......true story.

Joeko

Post by Joeko » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:26 pm

New York Jets

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

In my family, if you fell asleep in a shared space like the living room, you risked getting a hair gently poked up one of your nostrils. It was always funny when it wasn’t you.

These days, I do something similar to my SO and it makes me laugh every time. Him not so much.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 pm
my wife and I still listen to Car Talk repeats often......
I have the Car Talk podcast from NPR on my phone. I just download the latest one aired each week and listen. My son is 6 and he loves it :happy

I always like how they attempt to spell each caller's name. "That's Cathy with a C.....am I right?"

Even though they're no longer in production due to Tom's passing a lot of episodes are new to me. I didn't realize that quite a few stations dropped the "Best of Car Talk" although our local station still airs it each Saturday morning at 10am. It will continue to be available through the podcast as well.

https://current.org/2016/07/nprs-best-o ... osession=1

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

denovo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:04 pm
1. Stand up comedy, but it's very hard to find good ones. Netflix has a good library of current comedians, and the Hbo App has a lot of older classics.

2. Classic sitcoms. Everybody Loves Raymond and I Love Lucy.
Since you mention “I Love Lucy,” you might appreciate this. Last night DW and I were eating dinner at a local restaurant called “Babalu” that specializes in tapas food. As part of the theme, they have a running loop of old “I Love Lucy” episodes on a projector on one wall, playing from a DVD. The manager told me that, since they didn’t want to turn the sound up and annoy people, they tried to get closed captions working, but something was wrong, they could only get captions working in Spanish.

Seemed fitting to me. :D

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Yeah. They always came on the air right before Wait Wait. So sad when Tom died and they shut down production.

One of my favorite callers had a complaint where his vehicle started up with no problem, initially had a lot of power, but ran real rough for the first couple of minutes, then smoothed out for four or five minutes, at which point the engine just shut down. Turned out that the caller was NASA astronaut John Grunsfeld, and he was calling live from inside the space shuttle in orbit.

This is TOO funny!

I'd love to find a recording of this, to listen to how Click and Clack handled the "symptoms" :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

pennstater2005............you got me started on the Car Talk thing...

What was your favorite segment on Car Talk?....Well sort of a dumb question cuz they were all fantastic.... but DW and my favorite was their closing credits..........

Every week they had new and hilarious folks.....but always repeated their favorite........

Ray and Tom talking......."Our legal advisers.......Do We Cheat'm and How"?

Also.....enjoyed "The PUZZLER".....

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm
This is TOO funny!

I'd love to find a recording of this, to listen to how Click and Clack handled the "symptoms" :D
See PM.

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:55 pm

The Gallery of Regrettable Food. Hilarious.
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Dancing In front of the mirror,,,
Looking at my wifes face behind me.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm
pennstater2005............you got me started on the Car Talk thing...

What was your favorite segment on Car Talk?....Well sort of a dumb question cuz they were all fantastic.... but DW and my favorite was their closing credits..........

Every week they had new and hilarious folks.....but always repeated their favorite........

Ray and Tom talking......."Our legal advisers.......Do We Cheat'm and How"?

Also.....enjoyed "The PUZZLER".....
Regarding Dewey, Cheetham, and Howe.......from Wikipedia

Tom and Ray Magliozzi, of NPR's Car Talk radio program, named their business corporation "Dewey, Cheetham & Howe". Their corporate offices were located on a third-floor office at the corner of Brattle and JFK Streets in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Magliozzi brothers declared that they established DC&H in 1989.[7]

I mostly enjoy the banter between Ray and Tom. Always like the "don't drive like my brother" at the end!

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Old episodes of Fawlty Towers, currently on Netflix. They are more than 30 years old and I have seen them multiple times, but I still laugh out loud .

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:

This is TOO funny!

RM
Ask, and you shall receive! :beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Traveller wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:

This is TOO funny!

RM
Thanks for posting! That was great :sharebeer

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Traveller wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:

This is TOO funny!

RM
That was a riot! Thanks.

Lots of very funny bits, but the kicker probably was the fact that when he was at MIT, he had brought his car to their garage.
SMALL world!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Back almost 30 years ago when I was living in the Boston area I took an all-day class offered at Tom & Ray's garage about how to keep your car running for years. The Good News Garage is probably the cleanest auto shop you'll ever see. It was in February and I remember that the metal folding chairs were really cold to sit on. I still laugh when I picture Tom energetically demonstrating how the car's electrical system works.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 am

The Judge Jon Hodgman podcast made me laugh out loud three times this week.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 am

Derek and Clive

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 am

Eagles Vikings trash talk.

Vikings fans: You haven't had a good team since 1776.

Eagles fans: Minnesotans are just Norwegians who weren't clever enough to go back home.

Skål!

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 am

Mr.Bean !!!

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 am

in_reality wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 am
Eagles Vikings trash talk.

Vikings fans: You haven't had a good team since 1776.

Eagles fans: Minnesotans are just Norwegians who weren't clever enough to go back home.

Skål!
Wow! And I thought SEC college football had some trash talk!

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 am

What amazes me, is how different peoples 'sense of humor' can be, enough so that some people are said to have 'no sense of humor' at all.
I'm very intrigued by some comedians and jokes where the execution and delivery requires a unique 'skill', things like slapstick physical humor where it wouldn't be funny at all (or even be quite serious) if delivered in a slightly different context, like "The Three Stooges".
I'm also intrigued by 'No soap radio' humor, and how some TV sitcoms are considered 'funny' but only when accompanied by their laugh-track. There's a lot of (what I consider bad TV sitcoms) that I don't think are funny at all without the queue from the laugh-track that I should take it as a joke.
http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/ , is a funny comic in it's own way. It's just the regular Garfield comic strip but with the talking/thinking cat removed, so you just see Jon Arbuckle talking to himself. It can be funny, but sometimes only because the alternative is to despondent to grasp in any other way but to laugh it off.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am

Fawlty Towers - episode. "The Germans" makes me howl each time I see it.

Tim Conway on Carol Burnet.

Sly word play.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:18 am

Chris K Jones wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 pm
Old episodes of Fawlty Towers, currently on Netflix. They are more than 30 years old and I have seen them multiple times, but I still laugh out loud .
"Don't mention the war!"

"My little nest of vipers."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I was scrolling down this thread and realized that Fawlty Towers hadn’t been mentioned, and that such an oversight had to be remedied.

But then came Dottie57 to the rescue, and bertilak right behind her.

“The Germans” was splendid. But, pride of place belongs to “Communication Problems,” with the inimitable Mrs. Richards and Basil’s wager on a horse race. An exhausting and near perfectly struck 40 minutes of comedy.

https://youtu.be/yWLc4WqxI8Y
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm

What's laughter?
87.5:12.5 — HODL the course!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm
I was scrolling down this thread and realized that Fawlty Towers hadn’t been mentioned, and that such an oversight had to be remedied.

“The Germans” was splendid. But, pride of place belongs to “Communication Problems,” with the inimitable Mrs. Richards and Basil’s wager on a horse race. An exhausting and near perfectly struck 40 minutes of comedy.

Yes, "Mrs Richards" is one of my favorite episodes.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Victor Borge. I saw a PBS TV special on him a few years ago and laughed hard all night long. Even though I have seen all of his gags and routines, they are still funny. I forgot how good the guy really was.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Keeping Up Appearances, PBS reruns of an old comedy series from the United Kingdom. I just loved Richard and Hyacinth Bucket.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Oh but that segment of John Cleese goose steeping with those stork like legs of his...... i could watch that every day and laugh each time.

And here is the clip I amtalking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:50 pm

randomizer wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm
What's laughter?
Beaker makes me laugh.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Carol Burnett's Gone with the Wind. Those draperies....

3rd Rock from the Sun.

Comic strip Sherman’s Lagoon.

Any Garfield with Liz in it.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:18 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm
Carol Burnett's Gone with the Wind. Those draperies....
"I saw it in the window and I just couldn't resist..."

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm

gotester2000 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 am
Mr.Bean !!!
Blackadder (also Rowan Atkinson).

Series 2,3 and 4.