New Brake Pads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TN_Boy

Re: New Brake Pads

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm
As someone else pointed out we are getting off on a tangent, so this will be my last post on the subject. Those relatively simple homeowner tasks you mentioned pale in comparison to what is involved with replacing brake pads(and perhaps rotors) on a car. Not even close, in terms of effort required, knowledge and safety issues alone. For someone who's handy and willing to learn, get hands dirty, desperate to save a few bucks, whatever... fine. Not everyone is so inclined. Beyond basic math I'm math challenged, a math "wiz" could tell me it's "easy" to learn calculus. I'd tell him to stick it. It's good to know one's limitations. It can save your life. Different strokes...
Changing brake pads is about as complicated as replacing a garbage disposal which most of this forum would advocate is an easy DIY job.
I have replaced a garbage disposal. It wasn't that hard. But the next one that needs replacing, I'll hire a plumber rather than spending the time*.

There are many "easy DIY" jobs that are relatively time consuming until you learn how to do them. Unless a person enjoys such tasks, or feels that saving the money is important based on their current financial situation they may rationally chose to pay to have "easy DIY" chores done for them.

I understand the urge to spread the gospel on how to save money, but DIYers sometimes get a little evangelical about it ..... it's a time money tradeoff. I mow my yard, because I don't mind doing it. I cleaned the gutters on my last house. But I have more money now and a higher roof on my current house, so I don't do my own gutters. Lots of stuff like that in my life. I *could* do them -- and I have some very handy friends to consult -- but .... I'd rather do something else.

* and I'll note that I've seen/experienced first hand/heard stories about many an *easy* DIY plumbing job that turned into a multi-hour debacle. Plumbing can turn ugly in a hurry ....

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
As someone else pointed out we are getting off on a tangent, so this will be my last post on the subject. Those relatively simple homeowner tasks you mentioned pale in comparison to what is involved with replacing brake pads(and perhaps rotors) on a car. Not even close, in terms of effort required, knowledge and safety issues alone. For someone who's handy and willing to learn, get hands dirty, desperate to save a few bucks, whatever... fine. Not everyone is so inclined. Beyond basic math I'm math challenged, a math "wiz" could tell me it's "easy" to learn calculus. I'd tell him to stick it. It's good to know one's limitations. It can save your life. Different strokes...
Changing brake pads is about as complicated as replacing a garbage disposal which most of this forum would advocate is an easy DIY job.
Sure, any 87 year old grandmother could do it easy. Most on this forum would call this an "easy DIY job"??? Care to back that statement up with some real data? Last I checked this site was classified as a financial forum, not a auto enthusiast club. Anecdotes don't count for much. LOL

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Sure, any 87 year old grandmother could do it easy. Most on this forum would call this an "easy DIY job"??? Care to back that statement up with some real data? Last I checked this site was classified as a financial forum, not a auto enthusiast club. Anecdotes don't count for much. LOL
viewtopic.php?t=157430

Whizy

Post by Whizy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Hello. Just discovered the Bogleheads community through a local chapter meeting on Sunday and, coincidentally, just replaced my rotors and pads the day before. Without tools, facilities, nor inclination, the best option is to shop around and bite the bullet on a pro repair. $500 necessary maintenance every 5+ years or so for the braking option on a car is not bad. My costs were $170 for pads and rotors, $300 of tools (not amortized to simulate new Entrant embarking on repair), and 2-hours fiddling with my car. Good luck. May the force to stop be with you. :P

Topic Author
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Only thing you guys didn't mention was telling me how easy it is to do an oil change and do it myself :wink:

I called a local place today I wanted to get a quote from, and they didn't want to give me one until they looked at my car and they are booked until February 16. So I'm just going to go with the dealer after all.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 pm

I can certainly understand someone not wanting to do brake work. I enjoy learning a new skill to add to my dad/husband/homeowner/car owner repertoire. I have been doing minor car stuff for years.

For a point of reference about cost, I just ordered all new pads, rotors, and caliper rebuild kits (front and rear axles) for my daughter's 2010 Venza. I purchased the name brand and more expensive parts that were available.

Total cost with shipping $254.13 from Rock Auto.

OpattyD

Post by OpattyD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm

I recently got my brakes replaced on my 2012 Corolla for $130 including parts and labor. I even upgraded to ceramic brakes which last longer and do not create brake dust. I used a "mobile mechanic" that I found on yelp and had good reviews. I was talking with the owner and he explained that without the overhead of a shop, he can provide much cheaper service. Just something to look into... you may have a mobile mechanic in your area.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=157430
What's this? A link to a topic with thirty four posts, with some repeating posters(out of 64 thousand registered members) on the finer points of installing a garbage disposal. Hardly proof of anything, just more anecdote. You're absolutely right on one thing though, there is definitely a tendency on this forum to encourage DIY...comedians. You've got me ROFL. See ya.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 pm

bubbadog wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 pm
I can certainly understand someone not wanting to do brake work. I enjoy learning a new skill to add to my dad/husband/homeowner/car owner repertoire. I have been doing minor car stuff for years.

For a point of reference about cost, I just ordered all new pads, rotors, and caliper rebuild kits (front and rear axles) for my daughter's 2010 Venza. I purchased the name brand and more expensive parts that were available.

Total cost with shipping $254.13 from Rock Auto.
I spent most of a day once attempting to rebuild a caliper and never accomplished that. I just couldn't get the piston in using a new seal. I could put it in effortlessly using the old seal. Similarly when doing rear brakes I tried to change a rear axle seal once and accomplished nothing but destroying the new part trying to put it in. The old seal would go back in effortlessly. So I took the car to an independent garage and after struggling with it for a while they eventually forced a second new seal in. And it leaked. So I ended up at the dealer, who had a huge self-aligning punch designed for that axle housing and described in the shop manual. A few blows from a hammer and the (third, now) seal was in place and never leaked.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:
I've changed a garbage disposal and it wasn't trivial by my standards. Remember you are trying to squeeze your shoulders into an opening that's smaller than your shoulders, and then trying to use your arms after doing that. That alone makes the job difficult and somewhat painful. I hurt for the next day or so.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 pm
Thanks for all the replies! Only thing you guys didn't mention was telling me how easy it is to do an oil change and do it myself :wink:

I called a local place today I wanted to get a quote from, and they didn't want to give me one until they looked at my car and they are booked until February 16. So I'm just going to go with the dealer after all.
You are NOT listening. Get out of the habit of shopping for cheapest car repair. Trust me on this. You WILL be taken advantage of.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am
GridironGems wrote:

You are NOT listening. Get out of the habit of shopping for cheapest car repair. Trust me on this. You WILL be taken advantage of.
The dealer is the cheapest car repair? Oy vey, another comedian.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

who said that? dealer has given him reasonable price and I am telling him NOT to price shop. That approach eventually ends in disaster.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm
I had my oil changed today and found out I need new brake pads. They quoted me:

$229 plus tax for front brake pads and resurface the front rotors
$171 plus tax for rear brake pads

Does this seem like a reasonable cost? Any suggestions?
To me that sounds somewhat reasonable, however I would ask for the cost of new rotors. Once you take the rotors off, there should be less labor to just install new ones. I typically use $400-500 as the metric for this kind of work. That price, for the rear brakes seems very high.

However, I do them myself. I can typically do this job in less than 3 hours and less than $100 in parts. I jump at the opportunity to earn $100+/hour tax free.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am
who said that? dealer has given him reasonable price and I am telling him NOT to price shop. That approach eventually ends in disaster.
From the OP's last comment:
"So I'm just going to go with the dealer after all."

Guess you were NOT reading. LOL Anyway, price shopping does NOT always end in disaster. Just as in buying mutual funds, paying more is no guarantee of a superior outcome. In my experience, in any decent sized city there are usually a fair number of quality shops out there that can beat dealer pricing(often handily).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Adding to the list:

2012 Honda CR-V
$281.75 + tax for rear brake pads and resurfacing the rotors

This was done at my local dealer. They do good quality work and have been in the business for quite some time.

They also have a free shuttle to my home, which I needed for today's service.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:41 am

I got it done this past week for $410 total. Would have been $450, but I used a $40 dollars off coupon if you spend $399+

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 am

To the OP: It's quite reasonable to have a friend who does his own car repairs do this job and show you how to do it. If things are relatively clear cut, the job is pretty straight forward. I've shown friends how to do brake work. They buy the pads and rotors, I show them what to do and they do it.

But.......

If things are not straight forward, someone needs to know how to troubleshoot and get the job complete. Especially if this has been worked on before, there could be prior mechanic screw ups. Just off hand from brake work I've done:

Bolt heads on calipers have been rounded over by some clueless mechanic. Caliper bolts are rusted in place and won't move or once they move, twist the head off leaving the rest of the bolt inside. Sliders are frozen in place. Pads are tight and don't move once in the calipers. Pads are too thick and won't actually fit back in place so the caliper can't be put back in place.

I've had every single one of those problems occur. Actually the new OEM Subaru outback front pads were too thick in my last change for the caliper to fit. Yes, the piston was fully pushed in with my 10" clamp that I use on all calipers. I also had 1 slider frozen in place that required pb blaster, heat and vibration to finally remove it, clean everything up and get it back working again. Things can go wrong.

I expect the rear calipers are the screw type pistons where you need a tool (I have a $1 universal cube) to screw in the piston. Not hard when you know what needs to be done, but if you just try to push it in with a clamp, bad things can happen.

Good luck, but don't feel bad if you just have a mechanic does the work.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

CWRadio

Post by CWRadio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Same type of question as OP

2016 Honda CR_V 74,000 miles

Local Honda dealer: $250 pads only per axle and resurface the front rotors . Addition $250 per axle for rotors. $1000 pads and rotors 4 wheels (all Honda parts)
Local chain (Meineke, Monro) auto repair: $300 pads and rotors per axle. $600 pads and rotors 4 wheel.
$100- $120 to replace brake fluid.

Save money with local repair or go with Honda? What do you think? Unable to DIY.
Thanks Paul

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm

CWRadio wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 pm
Same type of question as OP

2016 Honda CR_V 74,000 miles

Local Honda dealer: $250 pads only per axle and resurface the front rotors . Addition $250 per axle for rotors. $1000 pads and rotors 4 wheels (all Honda parts)
Local chain (Meineke, Monro) auto repair: $300 pads and rotors per axle. $600 pads and rotors 4 wheel.
$100- $120 to replace brake fluid.

Save money with local repair or go with Honda? What do you think? Unable to DIY.
Thanks Paul
Honda will give you lifetime warranty on pen parts. What does the independent give?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 pm
The last straw was the infamous Honda screw on rotors. Seriously, if you are a newbie, you do NOT want to tackle that! It absolutely floored me that knowing this, OP was encouraged to go ahead and do the brake job himself. It almost borders on being as irresponsible and cruel advice and that is why I replied.

By the way, I am capable of doing lot of these jobs but having honest and trustworthy mechanic shop, I don't do any of them. I do my own diagnostics, get the parts and just hand it to the shop and they do the grunt work. Obviously, 99% of the people do NOT that have that luxury. But if you do find a honest and trustworthy shop, the best thing you can do is to STOP price shopping for a different shop. Develop relationship with that shop. Resist the urge to use the "free inspection" coupon or "$9.99 oil change special" at a place without prior relationship. Probably only 10% of the shops are honest; if you find one do stick with them and recommend it to your friends, neighbors, colleagues.

In OP's case, the dealer quote is reasonable which tells me that the place honest and there is no reason for OP to shop further.
This is a timely topic for me, just replaced the front pads in my civic. I enjoy learning new stuff and doing it myself, so it was fun, but there's definitely people who wouldn't enjoy it. By the time all was said and done, getting the tires off (one of them pretty stuck), figuring out what the hell was going on, getting stuff cleaned up and replaced, took me probably 4 hours to do the pads. Not counting all the time watching Youtube videos. Yeah, now I could do it a second time a lot faster, but the first time it took a while. And I certainly didn't want to try getting the stupid rotors off. I guess some cars are easier than Honda's. And now I've got a jack and stands that I've gotta store somewhere, which is currently in the trunk of the car.

As to the actual question, even if it's from January:" $230 for an axle's pretty fair. Could ask about the price of a new rotor instead of a resurface, probably not much more (and honestly, probably doesn't need a resurfacing, though mechanics like to do it anyways because it's less likely to cause noise and have you bring the car back in)

For the newer question, I'd probably do the local guy. Brake jobs aren't that hard for a competent mechanic, and aftermarket stuff is pretty good. I guess I would question slightly if both front and rears actually need it: the fronts tend to wear quite a bit faster, due to much more of the weight being in the front and consequently doing more of the breaking (but what do I know, my Civic has drums in the back, which are a whole 'nother kettle of fish).

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm

unstartable wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm
Brake parts can vary a lot in prince depending on car. But that is around the going rate around here. It’s an easy diy job if you watch a few YouTube videos and have basic tools. Even with buying new rotors instead of resurfacing the job can likely be done for about a fourth of what they quoted you.
+1

A good set of ceramic pads will run somewhere around $50, depending upon the car. Changing them takes about 30 minutes if you have a large C-clamp and the necessary tools to remove the calipers. Sometimes you need a socket sometimes a large Allan wrench. Unless the rotor has a deep score I never take them to have them turned. I simply change out the pads...

epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm
unstartable wrote:
Brake parts can vary a lot in prince depending on car. But that is around the going rate around here. It’s an easy diy job if you watch a few YouTube videos and have basic tools. Even with buying new rotors instead of resurfacing the job can likely be done for about a fourth of what they quoted you.
+1

A good set of ceramic pads will run somewhere around $50, depending upon the car. Changing them takes about 30 minutes if you have a large C-clamp and the necessary tools to remove the calipers. Sometimes you need a socket sometimes a large Allan wrench. Unless the rotor has a deep score I never take them to have them turned. I simply change out the pads...
Changing them takes 30 minutes if you've done them a few times and know what the hell you're doing, and have all the necessary tools. If you don't it takes a lot longer. In addition to your C-clamp and wrenches, you need jack stands and a jack, you probably want a breaker bar to get your lug nuts off, and a torque wrench to get them back on. These will put you back a lot more than the new pads will, and now you need to store these tools. You'll also want a micrometer to measure the thickness of the rotor, and if you do have to change them as well, good luck (depending on the car).

You've got to get down on your knees to get the jack and jack stands under the car, and if you screw up you can hurt yourself pretty badly, or bend something on the car that shouldn't be bent. You will get quite dirty during the changing process. There's a good chance that at least one of your wheels is stuck on pretty good and needs some "persuasion", and even if they're both fine, wheels can be pretty heavy and clumsy to maneuver for a lot of the population.

As far as car repairs go, no, it's not a particularly difficult one, but we shouldn't pretend that it's going to take half an hour for someone who's never done it before.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:04 pm

epoxyresin wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm
WestUniversity wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm
unstartable wrote:
+1

Changing them takes 30 minutes if you've done them a few times and know what the hell you're doing, and have all the necessary tools. If you don't it takes a lot longer. In addition to your C-clamp and wrenches, you need jack stands and a jack, you probably want a breaker bar to get your lug nuts off, and a torque wrench to get them back on. These will put you back a lot more than the new pads will, and now you need to store these tools. You'll also want a micrometer to measure the thickness of the rotor, and if you do have to change them as well, good luck (depending on the car).

You've got to get down on your knees to get the jack and jack stands under the car, and if you screw up you can hurt yourself pretty badly, or bend something on the car that shouldn't be bent. You will get quite dirty during the changing process. There's a good chance that at least one of your wheels is stuck on pretty good and needs some "persuasion", and even if they're both fine, wheels can be pretty heavy and clumsy to maneuver for a lot of the population.

As far as car repairs go, no, it's not a particularly difficult one, but we shouldn't pretend that it's going to take half an hour for someone who's never done it before.
I simply use the car jack and do one side at a time. The lug wrench will work as well although I have one of those lug wrenches that is the cross shape, with a socket on each end. Granted if you’ve never done it before the first time will take a bit longer. Really it’s about the only maintenance I DIY on my cars anymore. The money I save is enough for DW and I to have a really nice evening out...

deikel

Post by deikel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 pm

GridironGems wrote:

Rotors are cheaper than break pads, so resurfacing them and using new breakpads makes no sense to me. You usually replace the rotor if it looks bad, in fact I would always replace both because they cost little vs the pads.

If the pricing you mentioned includes labor than that would be normal in my area from a mechanic and cheap for a dealer.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 pm

deikel wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 pm
GridironGems wrote:

Rotors are cheaper than break pads, so resurfacing them and using new breakpads makes no sense to me. You usually replace the rotor if it looks bad, in fact I would always replace both because they cost little vs the pads.

If the pricing you mentioned includes labor than that would be normal in my area from a mechanic and cheap for a dealer.
That depends on the car and the brake pads/rotors. For a lot of models you can get $20 pads for 2 wheels that will work just fine (though maybe not last as long at the $50 set), while the cheapest rotors might still be $20+ each. I dunno what your mechanic is using, hopefully not the cheapest possible, but I think it's generally still true that a pair of rotors is probably more expensive than a set of pads in most cases.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:42 pm
Did you ask them to look at the brakes? It's not the sort of thing you'd just happen to notice when doing an oil change or just walking around the car. Unless the brakes are so bad they had trouble stopping or the wear indicators where squealing, in which case you should have already noticed.

If not I'd at least get a second opinion.
Actually its a very easy thing to notice if you DIY oil changes. When you get under the front end to drain the pan it easy to glance over at the wheel and see if the pads look thin, especially on modern cars with alloy wheels where the calibers are very visible.
unstartable wrote:

Where are you buying your parts from at 1/4 those prices???? Last time i did a brake job on my MIL Civic, the parts where about $50-60 an axle for pads and 50+ a piece for the rotors. Parts on my pickup or my wifes SUV are significantly more.

And this was just Centric stuff... not talking Brembo or Hawk or anything expensive....
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm

GridironGems wrote:

Whats brake pad life left out ? 2/32 or 4/32 like that....
What car make and model ?
Amazon is selling the parts for cheaper price or try Autozone.
You can buy them and ask local mechanic to change that.

Many mechanic in craiglist will do cheaper.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:08 pm

GridironGems wrote:

parts and labor for that's maybe slightly on the higher side only if you need to get them done.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Get a price range here https://repairpal.com/
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:55 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 pm
Get a price range here https://repairpal.com/
Great website. Thx!

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm

2010 Honda Odyssey - just did this recently at independent shop.
$238.85 to replace front brake pads and to resurface both front rotors.

The last time we required this was ~60,000 miles ago.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm

The price is not unreasonable.

I have typically done my own auto work, but spending your time & talents specializing on other things makes perfect economic sense, comparative advantage and all.

Socrates

I would not do service for brakes at dealer

Post by Socrates » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:35 pm

replacing brake pads is relatively easy and something any shop can do

my soon to be father in law replaced my pads he ordered of the internet for around $40.

He works on cars as a hobby, but point is it is very simple to do. Dealer marks it up.

Also replaced my thermostat for the cost of the part (under $20).

I would use dealer for more complex repair unique to Honda.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am

jharkin wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm
Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:42 pm
Did you ask them to look at the brakes? It's not the sort of thing you'd just happen to notice when doing an oil change or just walking around the car. Unless the brakes are so bad they had trouble stopping or the wear indicators where squealing, in which case you should have already noticed.

If not I'd at least get a second opinion.
Actually its a very easy thing to notice if you DIY oil changes. When you get under the front end to drain the pan it easy to glance over at the wheel and see if the pads look thin, especially on modern cars with alloy wheels where the calibers are very visible.
unstartable wrote:

Where are you buying your parts from at 1/4 those prices???? Last time i did a brake job on my MIL Civic, the parts where about $50-60 an axle for pads and 50+ a piece for the rotors. Parts on my pickup or my wifes SUV are significantly more.

And this was just Centric stuff... not talking Brembo or Hawk or anything expensive....
Rock Auto has pads and rotors for a single axle for a Honda Civic, for example, starting at $45.78 including shipping.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am

WestUniversity wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:04 pm

I simply use the car jack and do one side at a time...
Please use a decent jack stand if you are not doing so already. They are pretty cheap. Jacks do fail. On hydraulic ones the seals fail, sometimes suddenly. If using the jack that comes with the car, those are notoriously unstable and fall over with the car on top of them all the time. The result is terrifying at best, tragic and permanent disabling injury at worst.
Semper Augustus

Green Nut

Post by Green Nut » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 am

Just paid $87 for two new rear rotors and a set of pads. After an hour or two tomorrow morning I'll have saved $363 since Nissan wanted $450 to resurface rotors and install new pads.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Op I would call 3 or 4 other independent mechanic. I skip dealer because they always rip you off. Mention you want a good price and these 2 jobs are what you want done. 95% of the time, I got a better price by as much as 15-30% by just calling a couple shops around the area.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:59 pm
Op I would call 3 or 4 other independent mechanic. I skip dealer because they always rip you off. Mention you want a good price and these 2 jobs are what you want done. 95% of the time, I got a better price by as much as 15-30% by just calling a couple shops around the area.
Your over a half year too late....if you read the thread, OP had that brake job done in late Jan.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:06 pm

Teague wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am
WestUniversity wrote:

Please use a decent jack stand if you are not doing so already. They are pretty cheap. Jacks do fail. On hydraulic ones the seals fail, sometimes suddenly. If using the jack that comes with the car, those are notoriously unstable and fall over with the car on top of them all the time. The result is terrifying at best, tragic and permanent disabling injury at worst.
It’s the jack in the trunk. Done it that way for longer than I can remember and never had a problem. Keep it simple. If I drug out all the equipment some people seem to think is necessary, it would be entirely too much trouble and I probably wouldn’t do it...

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:06 pm
Teague wrote:
WestUniversity wrote:

It’s the jack in the trunk. Done it that way for longer than I can remember and never had a problem. Keep it simple. If I drug out all the equipment some people seem to think is necessary, it would be entirely too much trouble and I probably wouldn’t do it...
Wow I would never ever do that - it's extremely dangerous to only use a jack. Inevitably you will be reaching around the wheel well etc. and pushing/pulling, and probably hitting using your hands and feet, various parts of the car, as hard as you can.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm
WestUniversity wrote:
Teague wrote:
WestUniversity wrote:

Wow I would never ever do that - it's extremely dangerous to only use a jack. Inevitably you will be reaching around the wheel well etc. and pushing/pulling, and probably hitting using your hands and feet, various parts of the car, as hard as you can.
Not so. There is no pushing or pulling involved. Remove two bolts. Remove the caliper. Remove pads. Compress the piston with a C-clamp. Put in new pads. Slide caliper back on. Put two bolts back in. No sweat. It doesn’t take much more time than simply changing the tire.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm
WestUniversity wrote:
Teague wrote:
WestUniversity wrote:

Not so. There is no pushing or pulling involved. Remove two bolts. Remove the caliper. Remove pads. Compress the piston with a C-clamp. Put in new pads. Slide caliper back on. Put two bolts back in. No sweat. It doesn’t take much more time than simply changing the tire.
Often parts are welded to each other from the effects of time and corrosion. Definitely if you don't have impact tools (and good ones - mine can't break loose fasteners that I can with hand tools) and maybe if you do (depending on the angles at which you can access the fasteners) you often end up using as much force as you can generate. That's especially true if have to remove not just the calipers from the adapters but the adapters from the spindle assembly.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Been doing my cars this way for 20-25 years. Never had a problem...

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:26 pm

GridironGems wrote:

All good,OP. You were quoted a fair price. And kudos to you in your vehicle selection (very BH of you) and keeping her on the road.

For future reference, keep the post below in mind. (I sure will, and thanks, OpattyD!)
OpattyD wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm
I recently got my brakes replaced on my 2012 Corolla for $130 including parts and labor. I even upgraded to ceramic brakes which last longer and do not create brake dust. I used a "mobile mechanic" that I found on yelp and had good reviews. I was talking with the owner and he explained that without the overhead of a shop, he can provide much cheaper service. Just something to look into... you may have a mobile mechanic in your area.
Last edited by SoAnyway on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am

WestUniversity wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 pm
Been doing my cars this way for 20-25 years. Never had a problem...
Great that you haven't had a problem....yet.

If you don't want it buy or borrow a single jack stand, at least consider placing the wheel you remove under the spindle/ball joint area so if the car drops it had a chance to impact the loose wheel before it gets you.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:36 am

"Add to that the fact that you can do this in the comfort of your home "

How do you get your car into the house? Our 4Runner and Avalon won't go through the door? :sharebeer

I pay the dealer to do stuff on the vehicles. I work on my boat, the Toro zero-turn, the Deere X380, the trash trailer and the house. Having a 3-car garage is nice and I do have a big floor jack, 8 jack stands, a portable hoist, compressor, engine stand, impact wrench and all that good stuff. I'm retired, I only do what I want to do. :mrgreen:

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:45 am

I replaced the pads and rotors in my CRV a year ago. I only did it so I could say I did it. The shitty part of it was the bolts were all on so tight I had to use some penetrating oil on them then let it sit. Took me all day.

I didn't buy tools but put the wheel under the car for a bit of safety. Also about the screws on my Honda's rotors...[(removed) --admin LadyGeek], they were tight, I drilled them out. I read they weren't needed.

I might do it again since I know where it will get hairy.