Learning Swimming @ 40+

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OneWorld111

Learning Swimming @ 40+

Post by OneWorld111 »

BHs:

I Am contemplating on learning swimming and in the past have tried but was not successful due to apparent fears. Now looking at my kids swimming feels like I should try one last time due to various reasons..

Any experiences of learning swimming at this age..

Thanks
OneWorld
snackdog

Re: Learning Swimming @ 40+

Post by snackdog »

My spouse learned to swim and ride a bike at about age 45. Did it all through discipline and 100s of hours of Youtube instructional videos. Is now a much better swimmer than I ever was or will be. Has textbook perfect crawl, backstroke, butterfly, etc.

You can do it!
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Lots of people learn to swim at this age as it's prime triathlon years!

At our local gym there is a 'swim guru' who teaches people of all ages to swim. Many people I know have gone from non-swimmers to comfortable swimming triathlon distances with his help.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

My kids attend private swimming lessons because they didn't get along well in group classes. Their instructor however teaches lots of adults to swim, some of them that I have seen are retirement age. The one-on-one lessons help because the adults learn at a faster pace than kids and also makes the experience a bit more private.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

snackdog wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am My spouse learned to swim and ride a bike at about age 45. Did it all through discipline and 100s of hours of Youtube instructional videos. Is now a much better swimmer than I ever was or will be. Has textbook perfect crawl, backstroke, butterfly, etc.

You can do it!
Confession time, I am 58 and don’t know how to ride a bike :shock:

Had a bad spill when I was 6 and never got over the fear. I would love to learn how to ride and overcome this but am clueless in how to go about it at this age. How did your spouse tackle it?

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I always thought I "knew" "how to swim". Many years ago I took a weekly lap swimming class for seniors. Learned how to swim correctly. They started out with something called "drown proofing" which gave me tons of confidence in the ocean that I did not have before.
Suggest join a weekly class for seniors in a heated pool if it is cold. Wear a short neoprene top or vest and shorts to keep warm and also add buoyancy.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

OneWorld111 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am BHs:

I Am contemplating on learning swimming and in the past have tried but was not successful due to apparent fears. Now looking at my kids swimming feels like I should try one last time due to various reasons..

Thanks
OneWorld
No experience learning to swim at this age, but I asked the forum about learning to play an instrument in my 40s with zero musical background.

That was just over a year ago and I've documented in my thread on here how much I'm enjoying learning the violin. I kick myself for waiting but am glad I started.

I was motivated to learn after watching my kids learn to play their instruments.

So...yes, I think you should. Most anything can be learned if the motivation is there.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

OP, is your fear putting your head under water?

As mentioned, swimming is an extension of being able be in the water, put your head under, hold your breath, etc.

A good 1 on 1 instructor should be able to help you get past the basics. Floating, treading water, swimming underwater and stroke development can all come along at different stages.

Just like investing, the best day to start swimming is today.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I I leaned when I was a kid, however start slow and go from there. Get a instructor who has experience.
You won't regret this, swimming is a lot of fun, both in a pool and out on the beach.
mbcruiser

Post by mbcruiser »

I had similar fears when it came to downhill skiing... but when my teenage son (similarly cautious) took a lesson or two, it was a "team" thing with him (me well after age 40). Instructor was very smart...she told me to only do what is 'comfortable' (i.e. without having to prove anything to anyone but myself), and sure enough, we overcame and while there's no black diamond runs to demonstrate my prowess, it was learning with my son that let me enjoy recreational skiing for years afterward. As some say, 40 is the new 25, so just breath in, relax, and give it a try. You may find it fun after all.. and if not, what have you lost anyway....
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Please learn. It is a safety issue for you and your loved ones. You don't want a close family member to endanger their life trying to save you in case of an accident around water. Likewise if a child or future grandchild falls into a pool you want to be confident in your ability to respond fast and save them.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

When I was a kid I couldn't master the breathing rhythm required for the crawl - it also stymied any longer distance running for the same reason - and so for swimming ( primarily ocean water ) I got pretty good at the side stroke , breaststroke , and backstroke which don't require the breathing synchronization , also got good at just floating - fresh water doesn't have the buoyancy of salt and so those strokes are naturally tougher in fresh .

But maybe start with those and slowly weave in the crawl - Good Luck !!!
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

It will be no problem. It feels impossible at first, but you will get the hang of it and be able to swim surprisingly long distances within several months. ANd it's fun to learn!

I did this myself at age 35. I found that getting across the pool to do laps didn't take me that long at but it never felt comfortable or remotely easy. And then I found that swimming 'faster' (like triathlon race swimming) is very hard for the adult-onset swimmer!

But yes, def give it a go - it's very satisfying to see how far you can swim after some good training in the pool. Technique is everything for the beginner swimmer - do NOT fight the water. Relax!
gailwinters

Post by gailwinters »

I had a frightening experience as a young child, which resulted in a great fear of being in water over my head. In my mid twenties, I took an adult swimming class at the Y. There were people much older than I, and that made me feel more comfortable than I thought I would. In that first class, learning to float was pretty much the only thing I achieved, but that was a major achievement for me. I took a second class and in that one, I learned to tread water, and how to actually swim. We swam the length of the pool and back as kind of a "graduation" test. I was thrilled to be able to do that.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I learned when I was 31, because I had an academic conference that was going to be at the beach and I wanted to kayak. Previously I'd been too terrified to learn. I bought a group of six private lessons at the Y and was swimming end to end by the end of the third. I haven't kept up with it so my stroke is still choppy, but I am sufficiently comfortable to be able to swim for fitness when I want.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

WoodSpinner wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 am
snackdog wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am My spouse learned to swim and ride a bike at about age 45. Did it all through discipline and 100s of hours of Youtube instructional videos. Is now a much better swimmer than I ever was or will be. Has textbook perfect crawl, backstroke, butterfly, etc.

You can do it!
Confession time, I am 58 and don’t know how to ride a bike :shock:

Had a bad spill when I was 6 and never got over the fear. I would love to learn how to ride and overcome this but am clueless in how to go about it at this age. How did your spouse tackle it?

WoodSpinner
Kept after me to buy a cheap bike for ages, so I finally bought a $100 model at K-Mart thinking it was a waste of money. It was cheap and sturdy but weighed a lot. I was scared of potential for injury and insisted I be on hand for training. My advice was ignored, of course. He pushed to the bike to a huge grassy park near our house, tied up the dog to a tree, got on the bike and rode on the grass. Never fell, reportedly. A couple months later we bought a real bike that cost quite a bit more which he rode mornings on the streets when they were quiet. No bike riding in our current location as the streets are chaos. No swimming for that matter either as no pools we can access.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

onourway wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 am Lots of people learn to swim at this age as it's prime triathlon years!
+1. This is true. Lots of runners and cyclists learn to swim at a late age so they can do triathlons. It's very common; so don't be embarrassed. I was never a good swimmer as a kid so started lessons in my 30s. I took lessons from a former college swimmer at my local YMCA. She was great.
kelage

Post by kelage »

I found the advice and techniques of Total Immersion helpful.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

Just do it. Your family will love and support you. Think of how happy everyone will be with you playing in the water.

Think of the other irrational fears you can help your kids concur later in life when S* really hits the fan.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
hand

Post by hand »

Interesting challenge having watched many non-swimming teens and adults try to learn.
Learning to swim is infinitely harder (but still very doable) as soon as you're smart enough to recognize swimming is "unnatural"

Keys from my perspective:
1) Recognize that the fear is a rational response to an unnatural act. While you should respect the fear, don't let having fear be a failure unto itself - it's normal.

2) Find a good teacher for you, there are many objectively good adult teachers, but keep shopping and trying until you find one that is subjectively good to you.

3) Know yourself, and what motivates you, if you are goal oriented, get help putting together a step by step chart of achievements you can work towards (first lesson, head under water, floating, swim width of the pool, swim length of the pool), if you are achievement oriented, celebrate the successes after the face, socially motivated, consider a group.

Good Luck!
dutchglider

Post by dutchglider »

I learned to swim at my local 4H pool as young boy but I never really learned how to swim.

My son's scout troop has a core group of leaders who do the mile swim every summer with the boys.
Turns out we have more leaders completing the mile swim than boys. I tried the mile swim five years ago
and was absolutely whipped, just able to complete 4 of the 8 laps in the lake for 1/2 mile.

I decided that it was time to learn how to swim.

I took an unconventional route to get there.

I wondered how the Navy Seals could swim for 5+ miles. I looked on youtube and sure enough there are some videos guiding
aspiring Seal candidates on how to swim the Navy Combat Swimmer Sidestroke. Look it up for something interesting.

I spent 11 months teaching myself how to swim the Navy Sidestroke.

I went to summer camp the next year to accomplish my goal of completing the mile swim.
This time around the lake was closed for swimming for the first few days (acid level out of bounds).
To work in the other aquatic activities in a short week,
the mile swim event was cancelled. However, one of the other activities was a lifeguard course so instead of the mile swim
I completed lifeguard training for the first time (as a 51 year old).

The next summer camp, I was able to complete the mile swim for the first time as a Scout (age 52) but this camp was in a pool.
Swimming effortlessly the Navy Seal Sidestroke.

And the next summer, completed the mile swim in the lake with the Navy Seal Sidestroke (age 53).
I also recertified as a lifeguard.

At this point, I decided I should learn how to swim again, so I wanted to learn the freestyle stroke.
I bought several used books and videos teaching the Total Immersion variation of freestyle.
About a year of learning the freestyle stroke, and this is for someone who "learned" how to swim 40+ years earlier.

So, yes, here are my recommendations and thoughts:

1) it is possible to learn to swim at age 40+, and even 50+.
2) swimming is a great low impact aerobic exercise (sometimes my resting pulse drops below 50).
3) For those want to learn how to swim, or re-learn how to swim, I recommend the Total Immersion methods
(key concepts are relaxation and efficiency).
4) For those swimmers needing variety, and lap swimming begs for variety, try to learn the Navy Combat Swimmer Sidestroke.
Your other strokes will probably get better.

Just like with investing, stay long in equities (with index funds of course),
and in swimming, stay long in the water!

Best wishes to all,

Dutchglider
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

OneWorld111 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am BHs:

Thanks
OneWorld
I learned in my 30s but did not fear the water. I just signed up at local club/pool for lessons. When I arrived for my first lesson, the instructor was finishing a lesson with a 5 year old. :D

My take: it’s absolutely worth it. Get lessons form a good instructor (anyone you feel comfortable with should be fine). It’s easy but you can’t see exactly how easy until after your relax. Before then, it feels impossible due to a very natural fear of drowning. It took me maybe 4-5 lessons and then I quickly got into different strokes, dives, etc. One of the best investments I’ve ever made. Now that I’m 60, I don’t swim much anymore and I realize that I would have missed out on so much during these decades. Since you have kids, it’s even more of a no-brainer. Also, being in boats or around water will be so much less stressful if you know how to swim.

Good luck and enjoy it!
StarsandStripes

Post by StarsandStripes »

Full disclosure I am a life long swimmer and my daughter owns Phdswimschool.com.

You can learn to swim as an adult. Your biggest challenge will be finding a good qualified instructor. I have watched many people give lessons over the years and most are a waste of time. Start by contacting your local swim team coach in person after practice and ask for a recommendation of a good instructor for adults learning how to swim. You should first be taught to drown proof yourself as suggested above. Next you can start to overcome your phobias about the water then you will progress just fine.

As an adult there are two challenges that you face; your fears, and using an entire set of muscles you never used before. It is a slow process to strengthen those muscle while feeling relaxed in the water. Try to relax so that you can work with the water and have fun.

I know of several people that have completed an Ironman event that learned to swim in there late 20's and 30's. You too can do it.
TSR

Post by TSR »

I swim a couple times a weak at my local YMCA. Very often I will see adult beginners taking swim lessons. I mention this for two reasons. First, the local YMCA is very used to such requests and is a great resource -- if they don't have the lessons you need, they will point you in the right direction. Second, there should be no "shame factor" in this. As a fairly experienced swimmer, I have never once had a reaction to seeing adult lessons other than, "Oh, good for them." I have never seen other experienced swimmers scoff or roll their eyes.

Please do this, and I hope you love it!
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

I learned how to swim when I was 14 after years of failed attempts with private lessons. The trick for me was using flippers a mask and a snorkel tube. I could kick around the pool (and then the ocean...still can't believe I did that and probably won't ever again) and get the confidence that I could float and swim on top of the water without fear of sinking. When you take off the flippers, yes, you have to kick harder but you now have the confidence that you will stay on top of the water. I still (I'm 58) am not totally at ease in the water but I can breaststroke all day long. I can't freestyle worth a damn and have no interest in putting in the time but I can swim. Try the flippers if normal methods don't work.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

ubermax wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:28 am When I was a kid I couldn't master the breathing rhythm required for the crawl - it also stymied any longer distance running for the same reason - and so for swimming ( primarily ocean water ) I got pretty good at the side stroke , breaststroke , and backstroke which don't require the breathing synchronization , also got good at just floating - fresh water doesn't have the buoyancy of salt and so those strokes are naturally tougher in fresh .

But maybe start with those and slowly weave in the crawl - Good Luck !!!
Plus 1 for sidestroke breast stroke and backstroke. They are my go to strokes especially the sidestroke which doesn’t tire me and allows to keep my mouth out of water and breathing whenever I want . For ocean swimming it. Is the best. I can swim the freestyle but it tires me quickly.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Using a swimmer's snorkel helped me. It removes the breathing problem I always had and lets me relax and concentrate on what I'm doing. Most of the swimmers where I swim use a snorkel.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Go to the web site of your local city pool. They will offer adult classes. Swimming is the superior sport, and it rewards efficient and calm stroke technique. A lot of skilled swimmers came to the game late, so you never know how far this bold first step will take you.
timmy

Post by timmy »

Swim class

If you have the means, private swim lessons

Swim, 2x to 3x per week

That's been my journey. I could always jump off a boat or diving board and get back to safety or stay afloat in the deep end of a pool. But I couldn't swim across a pool. I got serious in January 2017. In July 2017, I swam 1500 meters in a lake (triathlon), this summer, it'll be 1.2 miles, and in 2019 2.4 miles. I'm still clunky but I am getting better bit by bit.

Mid 40s ...

Good luck.
timmy

Post by timmy »

SrGrumpy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:11 pm Go to the web site of your local city pool. They will offer adult classes. Swimming is the superior sport, and it rewards efficient and calm stroke technique. A lot of skilled swimmers came to the game late, so you never know how far this bold first step will take you.
+1
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I found in teaching my kids to swim that putting face in the water and opening eyes was a big hurdle. Letting them learn with swimming goggles helped.

Definitely do lessons, but it really shouldn’t be hard. Go to a shallow end around 4 feet deep. Unless you are a male athlete with low body fat you can pretty much float if you hold your breath. Learn to float on your back and on your stomach with your head in the water eyes open. Learn to exhale under water (blow bubbles) and inhale out of water. Jump up and down in 4-5 feet of water going completely under and exhaling. Once you master that in shallow end learn to push off the wall or steps and glide a few feet. Then add some kicks. Then add some arm strokes.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

kelage wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am I found the advice and techniques of Total Immersion helpful.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/
+1. Tim Ferriss did a TedTalk on his battle with fear and swimming using the same technique.
Don't Work Forever.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Face Your Fears :happy
What An Excellent Way,
To "Grow"
Swim On.
:happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
OSUBucks4Evr

Post by OSUBucks4Evr »

I too am older (age 58) and would very much like to learn, but am not sure I can make myself face my fears again. I first tried to take lessons at the age of 8, and had a very bad experience. I was deathly afraid of water, but at the start of the first lesson the instructor insisted that everyone get in the pool by JUMPING in (shallow end, but I watched the other kids do it and saw their heads go under water briefly, so that was it for me). When she couldn't talk me into doing that, instead of just letting me sit on the side of the pool and watch until I hopefully would have felt more confident, when I was looking the other way she shoved me in the pool. I took in a big mouthful of water and came up coughing and crying and choking and making enough noise that everyone in that olympic-size pool (there were several other classes going on simultaneously in other parts of the pool) stopped what they were doing and stared. My instructor became irate and started screaming at me that I was embarrassing her and that when I came back the next week she would see to it that I was no longer in her class, then she ordered me out of the pool. I never went back for a second lesson. Nowadays, an instructor who behaved like that toward a child would probably be fired on the spot, but everyone just watched her yell at me for what seemed like forever, and no one did anything. I took a few lessons years later, when I was 17, with a much nicer/more patient instructor, but still had difficulty with having my head underwater so I didn't pass the course. I'm always embarrassed when I have to admit to someone that I can't swim.

To the OP, best of luck with your lessons. I hope you have fun with them and have many years of swimming enjoyment. :happy
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

I tried at age 40. One thing I did was take the "Total Immersion" class, it was a 2 day program that really helped provide some class room theory + video recordings underwater. But in the end after making valiant attempts for ~2 years after, I never got much beyond one lap at a time and it never "clicked" for me.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

OSUBucks4Evr wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:31 am I too am older (age 58) and would very much like to learn, but am not sure I can make myself face my fears again.
Your story is one of the saddest I have read on BH. Sport coaches have a lot to answer for, and that person should have been locked up. Swimming, like all sports, needs to be an enjoyable, social experience with a dedicated coach.

I believe videos and classroom pep talks distract from the basic chore of getting into shallow water and kicking with a board or floating on your front/back with the coach holding you. I still remember, at 5 or 6, my coach promising that she would never let me go - and I'm glad she kept her word.
timmy

Post by timmy »

JamesSFO wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:33 am I tried at age 40. One thing I did was take the "Total Immersion" class, it was a 2 day program that really helped provide some class room theory + video recordings underwater. But in the end after making valiant attempts for ~2 years after, I never got much beyond one lap at a time and it never "clicked" for me.
I tried it also. With only some success. I thought it made a lot of sense but it never came together. I've moved on but tried to keep some of the main points in mind.

I should note ... I'm not very coordinated so I find "complex" movements like swimming harder than many others. I can generate a lot of power, can withstand a lot of pain, and can be very focused. In the case of swimming, the last one helped. :?
timmy

Post by timmy »

Two more things

I found it easier to perform the breast stroke first. I never had great form but I got to the point that I could do it all day (literally). Within 3 months, I performed it for 90 minutes with no breaks. Why? I think ... The breathing is easier and so is the sighting (seeing where you are going) in open water. Knowing that I was "good at something" made it easier (mentally) to attack freestyle.

Teach yourself to flip over on your back when you panic. It needs to be automatic.

When I performed my TRI last year, I had never swam within a large group. At about the 200 meter point, I panicked, literally. I flipped over for 2 to 3 minutes to breath, catch my bearings, reset. I used the breast stroke for the next 200 meters, maybe. The crowd of swimmers passed then. I did the rest freestyle.