I got a Roomba and think you should too

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cbr shadow

I got a Roomba and think you should too

Post by cbr shadow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm

I see Roomba questions pop up every once in a while on this forum so I thought I’d post my recent experiences.

I live in the SF Bay Area and live in a 1,000 sqft house with my wife and (2) large dogs. Dog hair is a constant issue in our house, and requires constant clean up. The hair sits noticeably on hardwood, tile, and gets into rugs that are hard to clean out with our regular ($500 ‘shark’) upright vacuum. My wife has been talking about getting a house cleaner to come 2-4x per month since we both work a lot and spend too much time on weekends cleaning.

Anyways, after seeing discussion on this forum and another forum we decided to try a Roomba. We purchased a Roomba 690 through Bed Bath and Beyond (unlimited return policy) with a 20% coupon (total ~$325). It worked well, but I was disappointed by the logic it used for vacuuming a room. It seemed to randomly bounce around a room vacuuming, which is frustrating to watch as is barely misses pieces of dirt/fur. Eventually it did actually pickup just about everything. The biggest upside was that we could tell it to vacuum while we were gone, or set up a schedule to do it while we’re at work. Overall it was a huge improvement.

I started reading online reviews and saw that the best model (Roomba 980) is more powerful, uses a camera/sensors to vacuum in straight lines, and sends you a map for where it’s been. We ended up taking our Roomba 690 back to Bed Bath and Beyond and buying the Roomba 980 with the same 20% off coupon. That coupon excludes Roomba 900 series, but it worked for us. Total cost was ~$760.

This Roomba is just awesome and we can’t say enough good things about it. It has a very strong vacuum that does a better job than our stand up vacuum. It gets all the corners, doesn’t need babysitting at all, and sends you a map of where it cleaned once its completed. No missed spots! The hair issue in our house is no longer an issue! We had some dirt UNDER a rug that our stand-up vacuum couldn’t get at, but the Roomba cleaned right up.

Last night I took the dogs for a walk and received a text from my wife saying she and her friends were coming to the house for a few drinks. I opened the Roomba app and told it to start cleaning. When I got home 30 minutes later it was back on its charger and the floors were spotless.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I feel like Roomba's don't get the attention they deserve. If I knew how good they were (The 980 anyway) I would have purchased one a long time ago. The 980 is obviously a luxury purchase and is expensive, but for those who can afford it I'd highly recommend.

To make this actionable: What’re your experiences with Roomba?

mouses

Re: I got a Roomba and think you should too

Post by mouses » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

I had a Roomba years ago, I don't remember what model. It took more time and attention to maintain the Roomba than it did to do the cleaning with a regular vacuum.

There was a nifty yahoo group for Roomba hacks, but one day it just vanished. Evidently the manufacturer complained to yahoo.

It will be a cold day in hell before I spend $760 on a vacuum cleaner.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for the post CBR. I keep trying to convince my wife that we should buy one. Hopefully, my reading your post to her will put a bee in her bonnet.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm

We received a "DEEBOT" robot vacuum for Christmas. I think they are significantly cheaper than the Roomba you mention maybe the Deebot was $200?

Anyway, it goes around and sweeps and is always "full" when it stops, but it does not do as good a job as a human. We have carpet, rugs, tile and vinyl plank flooring in our home.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm

A Roomba is cool, but what I really need is something that cleans the kitchen and bathrooms by itself.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm
...Unless you have a pet...

http://www.scarymommy.com/roomba-meets- ... se-newton/
LOL. You beat me to it! For those who didn't click on the link, someone activated their Roomba without supervision and it spread dog poop all over the home. So if you have pets you need to be careful letting the Roomba run autonomously.

My wife made me buy the $300 Roomba and I hate it. Like the OP said, it randomly zig zags around the room, thus it takes forever to fully clean the room. Some areas get vacuumed multiple times while other areas get ignored. It also occasionally gets trapped under furniture. I hate it hate it hate it!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 pm

We love having our two Roombas in our house. It helps keep the floors nice and clean and has made such a difference in our lives that each of our kids have bought their own for their own homes. We notice much fewer allergy issues now that we use our respective Roombas regularly!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 pm

We had one for a year or so. Fairly large house with mostly wood and tile floors and some large area rugs. I was also frustrated with how completely dumb it was for a supposed "robot' vacuum cleaner. In general is was about as much work cleaning/maintaining the Roomba as it would be to manually vacuum. In the end we went back to using regular stick and canister vacs. Other mitigating factor is we don't mind vacuuming as it is pretty decent exercise and we are retired so time is not an issue.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm

I received a (an?) Eufy 11 for Christmas. I was skeptical because I have one area of high-pile carpet and a lot fairly serious humps in doors between rooms. I've loved having it. It is VERY dumb, and it has problems with the randomness. But I run it on a program every day while I'm away, and if it doesn't hit that spot today, maybe it will in a few days. It's better than I've been doing on my own, that's for sure. The same is true for it getting stuck under furniture, which it does with my couch occasionally. No big deal -- it'll miss that tomorrow.

The one thing that is a frustration (and possible benefit) for me is that the thing gets caught on cords all the time. It won't rip through them, which is good, but it'll get stuck. So it's good to get all of the cords off the floor. This can have the benefit of inspiring you to do more cord maintenance, which is never really a bad thing. But there are some areas (floor lamps? phone chargers?) where you may not have good options, and then maybe the product is not for you.

wrl

Post by wrl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 pm

I have the same model as you, as well as a couple older ones. The older ones worked well, they are just 5 years old and we run them every day due to 3 kids and pets. The new one was great until I kept getting the bin full indicator and shutdown after just a couple of hours and the bin is nearly empty. I clean the sensors per the roomba forum but its back to the full bin after a cleaning or two.

I took a chance on the much cheaper Ecovac and have been happy. After a few months, there where no problems so I bought another one for upstairs and retired the roomba to the shelf. Unless money is no issue, I would suggest looking at the ecovac reviews and researching them before buying the much more expensive (and less effective in my experience) roomba.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm
A Roomba is cool, but what I really need is something that cleans the kitchen and bathrooms by itself.
I would also like a drone that can dust furniture.

A lawn Roomba that runs around and constantly trims the grass would be good too.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 pm

nisiprius wrote:

This actually happed to my son. While at work the dog got diarrhea, the rest seared in his memory for life.

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm

wrl wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 pm
I have the same model as you, as well as a couple older ones. The older ones worked well, they are just 5 years old and we run them every day due to 3 kids and pets. The new one was great until I kept getting the bin full indicator and shutdown after just a couple of hours and the bin is nearly empty. I clean the sensors per the roomba forum but its back to the full bin after a cleaning or two.
This happened to me as well. Here is the fix:

Remove the bin, but then look at where the bin was. The hole where the dirt enters the bin gets 'plugged' / filled with hair / debris. You need to clean that as well. If you do that and have a clean sensor you won't have an issue. Took me a while to figure it out

We are Roomba lovers. I should measure (weigh) how much dirt and hair it picks up in a week - it's a lot. That it does it without any effort from us (other than daily bin emptying and weekly brush/wheel cleaning) is tremendous

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 pm
nisiprius wrote:

This actually happed to my son. While at work the dog got diarrhea, the rest seared in his memory for life.
We don't leave ours unattended and we generally do a quick walk through to look for things that might be in the field.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Yankuba wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm
nisiprius wrote:

LOL. You beat me to it! For those who didn't click on the link, someone activated their Roomba without supervision and it spread dog poop all over the home. So if you have pets you need to be careful letting the Roomba run autonomously.
Happened to my boss on white carpet while at work.

Nice way to be greeted when you get home.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
I would also like a drone that can dust furniture.

A lawn Roomba that runs around and constantly trims the grass would be good too.
Okay, maybe I would spend $760 for something that dusted or cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen.

Google grass cutting robots.

cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm
I had a Roomba years ago, I don't remember what model. It took more time and attention to maintain the Roomba than it did to do the cleaning with a regular vacuum.

There was a nifty yahoo group for Roomba hacks, but one day it just vanished. Evidently the manufacturer complained to yahoo.

Yeah the newer roombas use a brushless soft rubber roller which doesn't trap hair/dust and requires almost zero maintenance. The 690 had brushes but the 980 doesn't. 980 is far superior.

I totally agree with the statement that older roombas (and new but lower models) are "dumb" as far as where they vacuum. The 980 gets every little spot, and there are options to hit all the edges a second time if you want through the app.

As far the "bin full" issue mentioned above, the Roomba 980 has optical sensors that detect when the bin is overflowing. I have a dry brush next to my kitchen garbage can that I wipe off the sensors with when I empty the Roomba. Literally takes 5 seconds and takes care of that issue.

The biggest surprise is how WELL it cleans. It's picking up dirt that my $500 standup vacuum couldn't get at.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm

cbr shadow wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm
mouses wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah the newer roombas use a brushless soft rubber roller which doesn't trap hair/dust and requires almost zero maintenance. The 690 had brushes but the 980 doesn't. 980 is far superior.

I totally agree with the statement that older roombas (and new but lower models) are "dumb" as far as where they vacuum. The 980 gets every little spot, and there are options to hit all the edges a second time if you want through the app.

As far the "bin full" issue mentioned above, the Roomba 980 has optical sensors that detect when the bin is overflowing. I have a dry brush next to my kitchen garbage can that I wipe off the sensors with when I empty the Roomba. Literally takes 5 seconds and takes care of that issue.

The biggest surprise is how WELL it cleans. It's picking up dirt that my $500 standup vacuum couldn't get at.
Additional information about the rubber rollers may be warranted:

Make sure you remove them about once a month if you have pets with fur, likely less often without pets, and pull the little plugs of fur/hair that build up at the ends where the rollers connect to the device.

We are using a model 870 purchased before the 900 series was available. Been using it for a little over 2 years now. Had to replace the original battery 12 months ago. We run our device every day (numerous animals with fur living in our house). The replacement lithium ion battery we selected has worked very well for us so far.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm

We Keep
One Upstairs and
One Downstairs.
I enjoy hearing them" starting their engines" at
10:00AM Every
Monday ,Friday
Fantastic Cleaners

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

amindu

Post by amindu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

We have the Roomba 960 and love it. Programmed to run Mon-Fri when we are at work. Purchased from BBB during the MFG Event and paid around $480.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:19 pm

I bought my girlfriend a NEATO Botvac Connected for Christmas (among other things.) The reviews were good and we really like it so far. It doesn't appear to run the erratic patterns that the majority of Roombas do fwiw. And I can run it remotely with the wifi app and drive it from room to room with my phone if I like. The map on my phone will show where it's cleaned or where it's stuck. Too much stuff.

The best part? It was $699 at Best Buy, but on sale for $599. When I got to the store the next morning it was a Door Buster item and was marked down to $399. And they had one left.

The other best part? I had store credit certificates from buying a digital, glass top Kitchenaid range with warming drawer and an LG 24 cu.ft. stainless fridge. The total came to $345. :)

$399 minus $345 = dirt cheap deal.

edited to add: I received the certificates for signing up for a credit card and charging the appliances. I paid it off the next month.
Last edited by andypanda on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:29 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
And maybe they could add some attachements to clean toddlers, dogs, and the cars while they're at it.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm very happy with my iLife3 (I think it is), for $179 on Amazon. For that price, my threshold of satisfaction is fairly low and completely met by this gadget.

It too goes in all different directions, but gets everything off the floor, even has a setting for edges, which works brilliantly. It needs emptying and dusting off after every cycle, and a deeper cleaning and dis-assembly once a month, but I'm happier doing that than putting myself in danger of tripping over vacuum hoses and electric cords now that I'm in my mid-seventies.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 pm

My sister-in-law has one and she absolutely hates it. It stuck on carpet so many times it's basically useless.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 pm

cbr shadow wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm
I see Roomba questions pop up every once in a while on this forum so I thought I’d post my recent experiences.

I live in the SF Bay Area and live in a 1,000 sqft house with my wife and (2) large dogs. Dog hair is a constant issue in our house, and requires constant clean up. The hair sits noticeably on hardwood, tile, and gets into rugs that are hard to clean out with our regular ($500 ‘shark’) upright vacuum. My wife has been talking about getting a house cleaner to come 2-4x per month since we both work a lot and spend too much time on weekends cleaning.

Anyways, after seeing discussion on this forum and another forum we decided to try a Roomba. We purchased a Roomba 690 through Bed Bath and Beyond (unlimited return policy) with a 20% coupon (total ~$325). It worked well, but I was disappointed by the logic it used for vacuuming a room. It seemed to randomly bounce around a room vacuuming, which is frustrating to watch as is barely misses pieces of dirt/fur. Eventually it did actually pickup just about everything. The biggest upside was that we could tell it to vacuum while we were gone, or set up a schedule to do it while we’re at work. Overall it was a huge improvement.

I started reading online reviews and saw that the best model (Roomba 980) is more powerful, uses a camera/sensors to vacuum in straight lines, and sends you a map for where it’s been. We ended up taking our Roomba 690 back to Bed Bath and Beyond and buying the Roomba 980 with the same 20% off coupon. That coupon excludes Roomba 900 series, but it worked for us. Total cost was ~$760.

This Roomba is just awesome and we can’t say enough good things about it. It has a very strong vacuum that does a better job than our stand up vacuum. It gets all the corners, doesn’t need babysitting at all, and sends you a map of where it cleaned once its completed. No missed spots! The hair issue in our house is no longer an issue! We had some dirt UNDER a rug that our stand-up vacuum couldn’t get at, but the Roomba cleaned right up.

Last night I took the dogs for a walk and received a text from my wife saying she and her friends were coming to the house for a few drinks. I opened the Roomba app and told it to start cleaning. When I got home 30 minutes later it was back on its charger and the floors were spotless.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I feel like Roomba's don't get the attention they deserve. If I knew how good they were (The 980 anyway) I would have purchased one a long time ago. The 980 is obviously a luxury purchase and is expensive, but for those who can afford it I'd highly recommend.

Thanks for the info. We’ve toyed with getting one. It seems like the reviews on these are all over the board. But it sounds like a step up in price gets you a far better unit.

Nearly $800 is an awful lot of money. Perhaps if they go down in price some.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks for the post but I have a mad love affair with my Oreck.

I own the old school Oreck when they used to advertise on t.v. I always bought expensive high-end vacuums and before the Oreck, we owned the original Electrolux that lasted us over 20 years. The original Electrolux was a great vacuum but they don't make a good product any longer and it was just too heavy. My wife paid a thousand dollars for it in 1993.

The Oreck is a powerful light weight simple machine that fits our townhome with many stairs perfectly. As long as Amazon keeps selling the original Oreck, I'll stick with them, but something tells me this one will last forever. Amazon sells the originals even though the company does not make them any longer for a fraction of the price they used to sell before the company was sold.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 am

The Roomba is available at Costco for under $400 and with their coupons sometimes about $350. They have a great return policy—if you’re not happy and bring back all the parts of the item purchased, you will get a full refund, no fuss, no hassles.

You can buy any replacement accessories, filters, brushes, batteries online, Amazon, ebay, bed bath & Beyond and other stores.

The thing our family really loves us that it doesn’t spray dust into the air the way old traditional vacuums did. It will also run when we aren’t home and H is happy to keep its little dust bin emptied.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 am

HIinvestor wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 am
The thing our family really loves us that it doesn’t spray dust into the air the way old traditional vacuums did.
Get HEPA bags and that problem disappears.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 am

It would be worth having one just to watch the cat ride around on it, like I have seen on TV.

Edit: Apparently this is pretty common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk4XB2wZqF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt5rBfNucc

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:37 am

cbr shadow wrote:

I asked for one for Christmas and got an 805 at costco. It has the higher suction no-wifi and just bounces around. It does have "virtual walls" which can help.

I really really like it. it runs while we're not at home and I'm always amazed to see how much gunk it pulls up.

My wife was also frustrated initially when she'd watch it bounce around and miss stuff but it does get it over time and covers what needs to be covered.

We have kids no dogs and mostly carpet. I can only image how amazing it would be for stray hair on wood floors. Always tidy!

The biggest upside I've found so far is that the house is picked up (from the kids) so that the vacuum can actually clean. This is a huge side benefit!

I love the thing and I'm actively contemplating the 980. We have like 4 different levels on our house so it's not exactly ideal for these types of machines be we move him around week to week and it seems to work. I would like a 980 because our main floor which has the master / dining / kitchen / utility is pretty complex.

Rosie is here but people don't notice because the extraordinary becomes mundane.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am

I have a samsung powerbot with wifi. Its pretty good. Although it gets tangled ir stuck when jts eats kids paper or toys. Which happens often. Basically we're not clean enough for a robot to clean for us.

But my daughter cracks up when i get messages on my phone from the vacuum when it gets stuck or lost or the battery dies.

westrichj312

Post by westrichj312 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 am

1000 sq. foot how long would that take you to vacume? Maybe 3 to 5 minutes. To me, a complete waste of money! The other day I was at Bed bath & beyond they had a $499.00 blow dryer!! LOL Can you believe somebody would pay that for a blow dryer?

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am

jebmke wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 pm
There is something like this. I saw one up the street last summer running around the lawn randomly.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am

JBTX wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 pm
cbr shadow wrote:
Even with two young children, there isn't the necessity (as in, we can't see anything on the carpet) to vacuum more than about once or possibly twice a week. Takes all of 5-10min for me to do the entire house (and my home is 50% larger than OP's), with the Dyson that was a wedding gift from my wife's first marriage 12yrs ago. We make a good living, but not to the point where I'd even remotely consider spending $800 on something that improves my life so little (if at all) and sounds like may require some maintenance as well. Glad OP likes it though.
Last edited by stoptothink on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am

westrichj312 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 am
1000 sq. foot how long would that take you to vacume? Maybe 3 to 5 minutes. To me, a complete waste of money! The other day I was at Bed bath & beyond they had a $499.00 blow dryer!! LOL Can you believe somebody would pay that for a blow dryer?
+1

I had a Roomba and found it got stuck and didn't work that well, but it was not a $750 model. I have multiple levels and a lot of furniture it just couldn't navigate.

jwaxjwax

Post by jwaxjwax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:26 pm

westrichj312 wrote:
My wife never used to use a blow dryer because she said it dried out her hair. But she got the Dyson one as a gift. I believe it's $400. She now uses it every day and loves it. She says it's magical. I'm not sure why since I have no blow drying experience.

cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am
westrichj312 wrote:
+1

I had a Roomba and found it got stuck and didn't work that well, but it was not a $750 model. I have multiple levels and a lot of furniture it just couldn't navigate.
I find comments like this strange. 3 minutes to vacuum a 1,000 sqft house?
Either:
A) You're Superman
B) You have no real vacuuming experience and assume 1,000sqft with furniture takes 3-5 minutes to vacuum
C) Our vacuuming standards are not at the same level

Either way, the Roomba replaces vacuuming by hand in my house completely. That saves us a lot of time each week since we vacuum every day.
I was worried the Roomba would get stuck on carpet/rug transitions or small steps like near my fireplace. Surprisingly it has no issues. It even handles cords really well.

It's definitely not for everyone. I think they're less popular than they "should" be because you have a choice between relatively poor performance or a high price tag. It seems people have experience with older models and are turned off by the whole idea.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
JBTX wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 pm
Even with two young children, there isn't the necessity (as in, we can't see anything on the carpet) to vacuum more than about once or possibly twice a week. Takes all of 5-10min for me to do the entire house (and my home is 50% larger than OP's), with the Dyson that was a wedding gift from my wife's first marriage 12yrs ago. We make a good living, but not to the point where I'd even remotely consider spending $800 on something that improves my life so little (if at all) and sounds like may require some maintenance as well. Glad OP likes it though.
In our case we have a yellow lab that sheds like crazy and new dark wood floor. It really should be vacuumed everyday or else you see the dog hair More than 2 days and it begins to pile up. If you did it every day it would be 15-20 minutes each day. Every third day is about a half hour.

Not a huge deal when I’m not working but it is messy a pain now that I’m back working.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

It takes me 10-15 minutes to vacuum the first floor, 700+ sq ft, which is where I primarily live. My standards are pretty low :-) Still easier and much faster than maintaining and using the old Roomba I used to have.

tarmangani

Post by tarmangani » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:07 pm

I'll endorse a Roomba here though, to be fair, our house is basically built for one: all hard-wood floors, no changes to elevation whatsoever unless changing floors. I honestly would say it's the best individual purchase I can remember. House looks great when it's done.

Quotia

Post by Quotia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm

When my husband bought the Roomba, I thought he was nuts, but it really has improved our lives. We have a shed-y dog and two cats, and running it daily takes care of the pet hair. We still do a periodic deep vacuum with the Dyson, but for everyday, keeping-things-presentable cleaning, it's great. I no longer worry about surprise tumbleweeds of pet hair lurking in corners or under the sofa.