How do you adjust side mirrors in a car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
knightrider

How do you adjust side mirrors in a car?

Post by knightrider » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 am

I adjust them to see my blind spots only. So the car goes into the rear view mirror, then into the side mirrors then into my peripheral vision. I never have to turn my head to change lanes.

I notice nobody does this. They all seem to point their side mirrors to show what's already in the rear view mirror. I try explaining my method to them and they don't get it. Am I being too dense?

Chip

Re: How do you adjust side mirrors in a car?

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 am

I do it the way you do. I agree, no one else seems to get it and they think I'm weird. But maybe it's not just for my mirror adjusting technique....

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

I do the way you do, I thought that was normal.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 am

In urban driving I prefer being able to see a bit of the side of the vehicle. It gives me a reference point and makes parking easier. On the highway I adjust them out to minimize blind spots.

Actually, on any cars I can get them on, I have curved mirrors that allow me to see both the door of the vehicle and have no blind spot. Not the useless circular blind spot mirrors, but a single piece of glass that replaces the factory mirror.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 am

knightrider wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 am
So the car goes into the rear view mirror
Given that rear view mirrors are not wide enough, how can you be able to see both sides (right and light lanes) in that small mirror?!!
I adjust mine to see the cars coming from behind on the sides. For the blind point I have one of these and it is amazing: https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-C0400 ... pot+mirror

My wife is doing the same except that she doesnt need a blind spot add-on mirror since her car is newer and can detect the blind spot objects by giving a light on the mirror and a warning sound when she signals and someone is there.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Bob-a-job

Post by Bob-a-job » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:19 am

You are correct, but it seems most people I know adjust them so they can see the side of the vehicle through the side mirror - wrong! Then of course they spend time spinning their heads to look over their shoulder at their blind spots.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

I’m trying to figure out how this comes up in casual conversation, and I just can’t. So I’m guessing you notice this when you get into someone else’s car and are driving their car. Unless they are the exact same size as you, their mirrors will be positioned their mirrors will be positioned differently.

When I get in my wife’s vehicle, it appears as though she has them positioned so basically all you see is the side of the car. But that’s not what she sees when she gets in the drives seat.

JT

student

Post by student » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 am

I remember in driving schools many years ago, I was told to do something like what is described in this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQX2gkwJoE

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 am

I do it the way you do, so that the side mirror sees into the blind spot. But I was taught to look anyways, because someone can be sliding into your blind spot as you make the lane change. The mirror only sees your blind spot, not your blind spot two lanes over.

And yes, I've hit someone this way. Ironically, we mostly dodged each other, so that the only damage was.. to the side mirror.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am

AAA recommends the way you do it -- flared out so that you see the blind spots.

From the AAA Auto Guide Driving Survival, "Side mirrors should expand your view to the side of your vehicle and reduce blind spots. If you can see your fenders in the side mirrors, the mirrors are misadjusted."

The method they suggest for setting the mirrors is to lean to your left so that your head almost touches the glass of the driver's door window. Then set the mirror so that you can barely see the left fender. Next, lean to the right about 4 to 8 inches from center. Set the right side mirror again so that you can barely see the edge of the right fender. When you return to normal driving position, your mirrors will be set correctly, eliminating blind spots.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

sjt

Post by sjt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

When I lean my head to the left, I should just barely see the side of the car in the driver side mirror. Adjustment of the passenger side is similar :sharebeer
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am

I 'tune' them so that when a car disappears out of the rear-view mirror, it appears in the side mirror, then when it disappears from the side mirror, it should appear in my peripheral vision. This typically involves having them at, or almost at, the limit.

A cautionary tale -- after you gain confidence, you can weave in and out with abandon, never needing to swivel your head...

Until your wife borrows your car, and sets the mirrors to her liking.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 am

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 am

sjt wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am
When I lean my head to the left, I should just barely see the side of the car in the driver side mirror. Adjustment of the passenger side is similar :sharebeer
That's the way I do it too, after reading something many years ago advising that, rather than aiming them to see the sides of the car. That way if you do need to see the sides, you just lean your head. I think it gives essentially the same results as the car talk method, which I had done prior to reading of the head lean method.

An added bonus is when driving on a multi-lane highway, the cars in the other lane (going the same direction) spend less time with their glaring headlights reflecting from my side mirrors directly into my eyeballs.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 am

I like to see the sides of my car as a reference point.

100% of the time, my head turns before a lane change anyways, so missing some of the blind spot probably isn't too much of an impact.

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

Watty wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 am
Here are what Click and Clack say;

https://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5
+1. I've had a lot fewer scares and near misses since I started doing this.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am

knightrider wrote:
I adjust them to see my blind spots only. So the car goes into the rear view mirror, then into the side mirrors then into my peripheral vision. I never have to turn my head to change lanes.

I notice nobody does this. They all seem to point their side mirrors to show what's already in the rear view mirror. I try explaining my method to them and they don't get it. Am I being too dense?
Same here. I cover all the blind spots.
Lane changes in a truck can be hazardous to small cars like a Honda CRV, Miata, etc. :shock:
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

sfchris

Post by sfchris » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

My high school driving instructor bashed it into my skull in 1985 that I should always do a head check before changing lanes.

I still do. So the mirrors are nice, but not required.

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Like you, knightrider, I adjust to the blind spots. And although I never have to turn my head to make lane changes, by habit, I still do, although not in the exaggerated way that I once did (and learned to do when beginning to drive). I forget where I first learned of this technique, but I remember the first time that I tested it, I was amazed at never losing sight of a vehicle in the next lane (no blind spot). I was a convert.

That said, I recently got blasted by the instructor of an AARP safe driving course for suggesting this technique. The instructor said that "you ALWAYS need to turn your head and look around" and "there is ALWAYS a blind spot."

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I must admit after reading this thread, I've been doing it wrong forever. It's always bugged me having to spin my head around, especially in my SUV, and still not seeing what's behind me totally.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm

sfchris wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am
My high school driving instructor bashed it into my skull in 1985 that I should always do a head check before changing lanes.

I agree with the head check, no matter how mirrors are adjusted.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Sitting in my driver seat, I cannot see blind spot on side mirror and I am not trying to see. I attached a 2" blind spot mirror and call it a day. Your way is fine, my way is fine too.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 pm

knightrider wrote:

+1 this is the way I was taught by Click and Clack, Car Talk...

WoodSpinner

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm
sfchris wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

I agree with the head check, no matter how mirrors are adjusted.
+1. Especially on a multilane highway, regardless of his/her mirror preference, a driver should be turning his/her heads to check blind spots directly.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm

I tilt them out to see the lane. I don't need to see the back of my car. The location of the back of my car is never in question.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am
knightrider wrote:

Same here. I cover all the blind spots.
Lane changes in a truck can be hazardous to small cars like a Honda CRV, Miata, etc. :shock:
j :D

I have a full size pickup. I used to set my mirrors the classic way. I could not see short cars beside me in the right lane. I checked into getting huge side mirrors; while looking, I found a YouTube video showing how to readjust the mirrors to get the blind spot. Now I'm good. I check the mirrors and check over my shoulder before changing lanes. I'm looking for the hyperactive lane changer two lanes over.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 pm

knightrider wrote:

A co-worker talght me similar. Only. Peripheral was glance to the side.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 pm

My SUV has blind spot monitors on mirrors that light up

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 pm

When you flare out/adjust side mirrors to eliminate blind spots completely, you render them useless for other functions—such as using them to back out of parking spaces while avoiding support pillars and other parked cars/obstacles, aligning car to curb when parallel parking, etc. I already know how to cover my blindspots by shifting or turning my head and I keep constant track of cars behind me in rear view mirror by habit, so making the side mirrors 100% blindspot proof is less useful to me than being able to see part of my car in my side mirrors.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 pm

knightrider wrote:
I adjust them to see my blind spots only.
I think the most important thing is to confirm what you can and can't see on a straight, level freeway (watch cars move from one mirror to the next -- when overtaking and when being passed). Then understand that on a curving, not-level road, you can really get fooled...

I love my daily driver but the side mirrors are just too small. Auto-defrost and auto-folding (!), but still. too. small.

The trend now is to swing side mirrors out a lot wider than I learned (which was to put the door-handle in the "corner").
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 pm

I don't understand why many cars change lane very close to the front of my car and I have to hit the brake to slow down to maintain safe distance but they seem don't notice. I guess they change lane using only mirror. There is a notice on many mirrors "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 pm

OP, you are adjusting them the proper way. That is how to minimize the blind spots. Anyone who insists on seeing part of the car is completely wrong and is getting a false sense of security. Some claim that they do this to make it easier to park. If that's the case, buy a better car that automatically tilts the mirror when parking instead of improperly adjusting your mirrors and increasing your blindspot and your risk of causing a collision.

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 pm

I adjust them using my Indestructible Winter Gloves.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 pm

wander wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 pm
I don't understand why many cars change lane very close to the front of my car and I have to hit the brake to slow down to maintain safe distance but they seem don't notice. I guess they change lane using only mirror. There is a notice on many mirrors "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."
No its just because they are inconsiderate. I notice this phenomenon especially on the west coast. The people out here feel entitled to just change lanes as soon as they put their blinker on whether anyone is in the lane or not. Sure, this happens on the East coast too, but not to the same degree.

The amount of blithering idiots sitting in the left lane without passing is also much higher on the west coast than out east. but I digress.

FriedFire

Post by FriedFire » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 am

Ive been using the recommendation by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) for the past ten years. Car & Driver published a an article detailing the method with illustrations.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/h ... lind-spots

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 pm
Some claim that they do this to make it easier to park. If that's the case, buy a better car that automatically tilts the mirror when parking...
:moneybag :|

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 am

knightrider wrote:

ME too!

My father taught me this method. To set then I lean left and adjust the left mirror until I can just see the edge of hte car, and then the same for right. That way the sides cover the blind spots as you indicated.

I never understand why most people aim them to just cover the same thing as the rear view. Then whats the point of even having them :oops:

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am

jebmke wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm
I tilt them out to see the lane. I don't need to see the back of my car. The location of the back of my car is never in question.
My thoughts as well. I was a valet in college and it seemed like 90+% of people preferred to see the side of their car.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am

knightrider wrote:

This is the way to do it folks! You do not need to see the side of your vehicle while you are driving. the concept of object permanence is something we are supposed to comprehend before kindergarten.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 pm
When you flare out/adjust side mirrors to eliminate blind spots completely, you render them useless for other functions—such as using them to back out of parking spaces while avoiding support pillars and other parked cars/obstacles, aligning car to curb when parallel parking, etc. I already know how to cover my blindspots by shifting or turning my head and I keep constant track of cars behind me in rear view mirror by habit, so making the side mirrors 100% blindspot proof is less useful to me than being able to see part of my car in my side mirrors.
+1 Growing up on a farm, I would have to back up flatbed trailers all the time that can't be seen in the rear view mirror. With side view mirrors adjusted for blind spots, it would be downright impossible.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
+1 Growing up on a farm, I would have to back up flatbed trailers all the time that can't be seen in the rear view mirror. With side view mirrors adjusted for blind spots, it would be downright impossible.
No, if you have adjusted them so that you can see the sides by leaning your head, then you can simply lean your head again when you need to see the sides of the car.
To adjust the driver’s side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirror’s right side.

To adjust the passenger’s side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console. Set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the left side of the mirror. If the vehicle is not equipped with remove mirror-adjustment controls, you may need assistance when properly positioning this mirror.
http://seniordriving.aaa.com/improve-yo ... r-mirrors/

This method could be modified to require less head lean to see your own sides, if that is something you need to do frequently, by just reducing the amount you lean your head when setting the mirrors. Any amount of adjustment like this is going to improve things (In terms of reducing blind spots) over just setting them to see both sides without moving the head.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am

Someone probably mentioned it, but a $5 blind spot mirror from Amazon will instantly cover your blind spot and let you use the mirror whatever way you want otherwise. Works great.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
I use the blind-spot system; my wife uses the traditional system...she will never change. Whatever works for the driver is fine with me.
I've found that in regular passenger cars, I can use the traditional system just fine because the car is low and side lanes are visible.
Higher vehicles like trucks and large SUVs using traditional mirror setups can't see little cars...especially in the right lanes.
School buses and multi axle vehicles usually have great mirrors for changing lanes...it's been a while...but 3 big mirrors per side?
Back to regular pickup trucks and large SUVs...according to a YouTube I saw about the newer blind-spot system, leaning your head to the left until your head hits the window gives you back the traditional view needed for backing. Also leaning your head way over to the right gives you a good view down the right side for backing. Here's the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg if interested.
Last edited by hudson on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 am

lightheir wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am
Someone probably mentioned it, but a $5 blind spot mirror from Amazon will instantly cover your blind spot and let you use the mirror whatever way you want otherwise. Works great.
+1. It also helps eliminate blind spots across 3 or 4 lanes if you drive on such roads frequently.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am
jebmke wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm
My thoughts as well. I was a valet in college and it seemed like 90+% of people preferred to see the side of their car.
My wife likes to see the back-side of the car. I asked her "Why? Are you worried it is not there or might try to pass you?" :P
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 pm
wander wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 pm
No its just because they are inconsiderate. I notice this phenomenon especially on the west coast. The people out here feel entitled to just change lanes as soon as they put their blinker on whether anyone is in the lane or not. Sure, this happens on the East coast too, but not to the same degree.

The amount of blithering idiots sitting in the left lane without passing is also much higher on the west coast than out east. but I digress.
Yup, here's one right in this very thread:
nick evets wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am
after you gain confidence, you can weave in and out with abandon, never needing to swivel your head...
The relative anonymity of being in a car allows people to behave towards others in ways that they would be far too afraid to ever attempt in person.

It's always the same type of characters behind the wheel. Usually in some low end, pseudo-luxury car like a BMW i3.

Best thing to do is just point and laugh.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 pm

hudson wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
I use the blind-spot system; my wife uses the traditional system...she will never change. Whatever works for the driver is fine with me.
I've found that in regular passenger cars, I can use the traditional system just fine because the car is low and side lanes are visible.
Higher vehicles like trucks and large SUVs using traditional mirror setups can't see little cars...especially in the right lanes.
School buses and multi axle vehicles usually have great mirrors for changing lanes...it's been a while...but 3 big mirrors per side?
Back to regular pickup trucks and large SUVs...according to a YouTube I saw about the newer blind-spot system, leaning your head to the left until your head hits the window gives you back the traditional view needed for backing. Also leaning your head way over to the right gives you a good view down the right side for backing. Here's the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg if interested.
Hudson,

You make some reasonable points. How well this theory works in practice varies on a case by case basis—differing for people, their flexibility, the vehicle, etc.

Some thoughts after reading the latest responses...

- I agree that it probably matters more if you’re driving a high truck/suv vs a smaller car. I drive a compact car so the blindspots are no problem for me.

- In the video link you provide, he makes some reference near the end about backing up—either adjust mirror or tilt head. Adjust mirrors every time I back up/park and back again for forward driving? I don’t think so.

As for tilting the head while backing up, he doesn’t actually demonstrate it. Know why? You end up contorted and disoriented while trying to parallel park on a busy road. It just doesn’t work. Not for me anyway.

- Someone else mentioned adding a specific blindspt mirror add-on. I like that idea but I haven’t needed one in almost 45 years of driving so it’s not exactly a high priority. I reckon I’ll be forced to buy a self driving car or use uber due to macular degeneration before I need that.

To me, use what works for you but the idea that the “unapproved” method is wrong (you didn’t say this but others did) is spurious. It applies to people who don’t know that a blindspot exists to begin with. Anyone that clueless is probably going to be a dangerous driver no matter how they line up their mirrors. If you are aware that there is a blindspot, you can easily mitigate the risk. Many drivers have been doing just that since forever.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm

AntsOnTheMarch post_id=3729826 time=1516381793 user_id=121569]
To me, use what works for you
I agree; anything that works is good technique!

n00b

Post by n00b » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm pretty disappointed to hear about all the people who expressed confidence about their ability to see a car without a blind-spot check given that motorcycles and bicycles are so much harder to see.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:05 pm

n00b wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 pm
I'm pretty disappointed to hear about all the people who expressed confidence about their ability to see a car without a blind-spot check given that motorcycles and bicycles are so much harder to see.
+1. And as I posted above, any perfect system goes out the window on a relatively sharply curved freeway (like many of the ones I drive on). Yes, they really do make those and there are tons of accidents because people don't head-check.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"