London/Paris Trip Questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cswenson

London/Paris Trip Questions

Post by cswenson »

Hi there! I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

I am planning a 10-day trip to London and Paris this June with my family (2 adults & a 6 year old). We will split the time equally between the two locations. I have never been to Europe and literally know nothing about it. I did some research about the cities and am still overwhelmed with all the information I read. My questions are mainly about how to save money planning this trip:

1. Is it cheaper to purchase plane tickets and book the hotel online (e.g. Travelocity, Expedia etc.)? Or should I look for a travel agent here in the US to help.
2. Should I exchange the money here in the US before my trip? I heard it is more expensive to do it at the airports overseas.
3. I plan to bring enough cash (maybe with a little extra) to spend there, and will also bring my only credit card (Costco visa) just in case we need it? So we will have two credit cards (mine and my husbands). Do you see any problem here? I really don't want to open another credit card if not necessary.
4. We want to take our girl to Paris Disneyland. I saw online that you can purchase the ticket in advance. Do you think it is necessary?
5. Any passes (London Pass?) you recommend that I purchase in advance? My only concern is that we may not be able to use them because something happens. Maybe I am just over-thinking here.
6. Since we want to spend a day in Disneyland, should we book a night of hotel closer to the park? I hope we don't have to move hotel. Ideally, we stay in one hotel in London and one hotel in Paris.

I have already read the old posts about this topic, but would like more current comments.

Thanks!

Claudia
ZinCO

Re: London/Paris Trip Questions

Post by ZinCO »

1. I don't think travel agents are interested in booking that kind of travel anymore, the commissions are close to zero. You are better off doing it yourself unless you are planning to use some really exotic tours or other add-ons to make it worth their while...
2. ATMs work well in Europe, but you'd need to make sure you had an ATM card that reimburses fees (Schwab, Fidelity, and others have been discussed numerous times in this forum). Absent that, yes, you might want to exchange money at this end, but plan to use CC in most places.
3. Costco Visa is foreign-transaction-fee free later this month, so that's a good choice. You'll want to make sure your husband's is too. It will be accepted just about everywhere.
5. We bought London Pass and lost a day due to a travel problem, then felt rushed to get value from it... In retrospect I think I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you want to see and have verified that those things are included.

Sorry, can't help you with Disneyland...
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm Hi there! I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

I am planning a 10-day trip to London and Paris this June with my family (2 adults & a 6 year old). We will split the time equally between the two locations. I have never been to Europe and literally know nothing about it. I did some research about the cities and am still overwhelmed with all the information I read. My questions are mainly about how to save money planning this trip:

1. Is it cheaper to purchase plane tickets and book the hotel online (e.g. Travelocity, Expedia etc.)? Or should I look for a travel agent here in the US to help.
2. Should I exchange the money here in the US before my trip? I heard it is more expensive to do it at the airports overseas.
3. I plan to bring enough cash (maybe with a little extra) to spend there, and will also bring my only credit card (Costco visa) just in case we need it? So we will have two credit cards (mine and my husbands). Do you see any problem here? I really don't want to open another credit card if not necessary.
4. We want to take our girl to Paris Disneyland. I saw online that you can purchase the ticket in advance. Do you think it is necessary?
5. Any passes (London Pass?) you recommend that I purchase in advance? My only concern is that we may not be able to use them because something happens. Maybe I am just over-thinking here.
6. Since we want to spend a day in Disneyland, should we book a night of hotel closer to the park? I hope we don't have to move hotel. Ideally, we stay in one hotel in London and one hotel in Paris.

I have already read the old posts about this topic, but would like more current comments.

Thanks!

Claudia
On one you can probably do better if you are willing to put the effort in yourself. Google flights is very good for searching for air fares. I don't know if they include low cost carriers such as Norwegian but if they don't be sure to check them out as well. Also don't forget to consider AirBnB as with a family often times an apartment will be better and cheaper than a hotel.

On two I usually exchange only a small amount of money in advance if I think I'll need some early in the trip to pay a visa fee (not needed for UK or EU if you are a US citizen). Else the best value is to just use an ATM to withdraw local currency when you arrive. Make sure you bank knows you are travelling.

On three I prefer to use credit cards unless it is cash only. Much easier not to carry tons of cash. Also I would have more than one credit card in case it gets lost or stolen. You mention your spouse's but if theirs is just an authorized user on your account with the same number on the card then if one is lost and the card closed than their's won't work either. I generally travel with at least two credit cards and two debit atm cards. Also I try to make sure they are on different systems (e.g., one Visa and one Mastercard). You sometimes run into weird issues overseas and it helps to have two different kinds of cards. I also store them separately in case one set is lost or stolen.

I cannot comment on 4 not a big amusement park guy.

On five, I crunched the numbers on the LondonPass (on the discounted Costco one) and it can make sense but only if you pretty much max it out. If you are hitting the sites hard and fast it can be a savings but I suspect most folks won't max it out. You haven't mention this but I would look at getting the London Underground tourist passes for the number of days you will be in London. You have to buy them *before* you go to London and have them delivered to your home country. The London underground is awesome but expensive and will really add up fast. I don't know if Paris does the same or not as it has been a while since I was there.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

Oh, and take the Chunnel from London to Paris... Can be quite inexpensive if you book 3 months in advance, but quite the opposite if you think you are going to buy tickets at St Pancras when you depart.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Also one other huge thing to consider is cell service overseas. I find having a phone with a data plan almost required now. So much easier to navigate, look up restaurant reviews, use Uber (easier than a taxi with language issues), etc., etc. Either look into getting an international plan on your phone or getting a local SIM. I travel a lot so I use Google's Project Fi which I love but I wouldn't get that service for one trip obviously.
Last edited by THY4373 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

This is an easy trip to book yourself.

You have it wrong. It usually costs more the in the US. Although a bank in Europe is better than the airport.

These days most everyone uses credit cards, ideally with favorable currency exchange terms. I would take only a few hundred in cash just in case.

If you really want to go to Disneyland my advice will not help you.

City transit passes MIGHT save you a bit, but only if you do a fair amount of traveling.
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

We're in Paris last summer for 10 days (2 adults + 2 kids - 10, 7). We have decided not to go back to Europe until our younger one turns 10. Six months later, he barely remembers the places we visited and their importance.

Also, 10 days covering both London & Paris can be a bit hectic with a 6 year old.
LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney »

1. Use Google flights to see what options are (also check Norwegian) - and then book directly thru the airline(s) website. Better for seat assignments, alerts, and in case there are any issues/delays with flight to book thru airline vs. third party. If flying into Heathrow, would recommend taking the Healthrow Express into London. Train from London to Paris is a good option. I use Trainline.EU app for booking.

2. I rarely exchange money beforehand - usually just find an ATM upon arrival and withdraw necessary local currency. If you must get ahead of time - see what your local bank can do - it will be less $ than whatever either departure or arrival airport exchange booth offers. Note that UK and France have different currencies.

3. I generally use credit cards for most purchases in London or Paris - would recommend this vs. carrying around a ton of cash in different currencies. Check to see if your Costco VISA charges foreign transaction fees. If you were thinking about getting a rewards card w/no foreign fees - this trip might be a good time to evaluate options and sign-up bonuses as you'll likely hit the minimum spend for many bonuses with airfare, hotels and meals/activities.

4. I don't have kids and have never been to Disney outside of Paris - but there's a TON of stuff I'd recommend within the actual city-proper (including just walking around) instead of going out to the Junior Varsity version of Disney.

5. Maybe if you're going to be bouncing around non-stop. Really depends on your planned itinerary.
Mr.Dad178

Post by Mr.Dad178 »

Good afternoon!

My spouse and I were in both cities last fall (left the kiddos at home, but they are the same age as yours). My 2 cents:

1. Use ATMs for cash needed instead of carrying a bunch of USD. Getting a fee-free debit card is good for this. That said, be aware that some automated machines in Paris have trouble with US cards, (chip and pin is required there). We ran into this at train station and had to use cash.

2. Costco Visa seems like a good choice. We used a Visa credit card as well, didn't have any trouble.

2. If you plan to use public transportation:
A. For London - google the Visitor Oyster Card on "Transport For London" website; this is specifically for tourists and is a reloadable card good for most public transportation methods in the city (including the Underground from LHR to city-center, I believe). Give yourself plenty of time for it to ship to your home address before you leave.

B. In France, you can buy 10-packs of billet (tickets) good for bus/metro, these are called Carnets, and you can buy from automated ticket machines at metro stops. Don't lose them :)

3. If your going to have reliable data-service/cell phones: the app CityMapper is essential for finding your way around either city. It's free, I believe. Other app ideas: GETT (for hailing London black cabs, Uber is banned, I believe).

4. London specifically - go to the Borough Market (boroughmarket.org.uk). Plan on eating :)

5. Sorry, no experience with EuroDisney.

6. Personally, I advise against the Chunnel; no cell service, spotty wifi, bad food on the train, My wife got motion sickness. But if you do go, give yourself plenty of time at St. Pancras - you'll have to go through a border/ customs line between UK and EuroZone.

6. Have fun and report back how it went. We will need ideas for our next trip!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm Hi there! I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

From London, i book my North American travel using those same companies. So I am guessing yes, it's cheaper to do it that way.
Heathrow is about the worst place to exchange money in terms of rates. Probably ATMs (we call them Cashpoints or bank machines) are the cheapest route. There are places in the West End of London that give a lot better rate than Travelex et al at Heathrow - check. I don't know if your credit cards are now Chip & Pin but that's the easiest way to actually spend money when you first arrive.

You need to know how you are going to get downtown from Heathrow (if that's where you arrive). The Tube (subway) Piccadilly Line is the cheapest, slow, and if you are in rush hour almost intolerable. The Heathrow Express (train to Paddingon Station) is expensive (check ticket prices online) but fast, about 15 minutes. But it depends where your accommodation is relative to Paddington. Black Cabs are expensive, really expensive-- the only ones you can legally hire from the street, when the roof light is on they are for hire. However taking one at least once is a great London experience. Uber does work.

If you arrive at Gatwick you are a lot further out. You basically take a train to Victoria (there is an alternative train which goes to London Bridge and Kings Cross (Thameslink)). Victoria Station is hellishly busy, then you take the Tube or a cab to your hotel.

Try to avoid the Tube 730 am to 9 am, or 530 pm to 7 pm (weekdays). It really is a very overcrowded system, straining at its limits.

www.tfl.gov.uk gives you bus maps as well, and buses are a slow (but scenic) way to see London. Sit on the top deck, and watch the world go by (and if your child is along, sit in the front seat there and pretend to drive). There's also a tour bus which does a circuit of sites in Central London-- just remember because of traffic and construction, these things are slow.
No. The main problem is Chip & Pin. Almost everyone now takes cards, and almost everyone can do touch to pay (ie no pin). Does your card support Chip & Pin? It is possible to do it the old way, I believe (swipe and sign) but it just makes for hassle.

You will of course need Euros for Paris rather than British Pounds. Again, everybody uses cards these days. But you probably need say £100 cash and EUR 100 cash when you arrive in Europe. Try to avoid getting lumbered with £50 notes or 50 Euro notes, because cafes, small merchants etc. won't want to handle them.
That may not be a good use of time? In that, one hears the American ones are better? Certainly the weather can be a lot better-- Paris can be dismal (although June is usually pretty nice). Whereas London has unique London things like the Tower of London, Legoland in Windsor (just W of London)-- do they have one in USA?, Paris has unique Paris things like Eiffel Tower. Natural History Museum in London is pretty amazing.

London Zoo is also very good for kids. But London has great parks-- Hyde Park, Green Park, Regent's Park (Zoo is at the north end of that, not actually that close to any Tube stop), Hampstead Heath.

Paris has less green space in the centre. And the Parcs are more... French. Generally you are not supposed to walk on the grass. It's all very orderly and lots of landscaping etc.
I don't know what is in the London pass, do you have a link?

Thanks!

Claudia
I am going to pass on Eurodisney and hotels etc. because I have never actually been there.

Presumably you will take Eurostar from London to Paris from St. Pancras Station*? That train books up well in advance. With the meal included, it may well be better to take First Class-- a lot more comfortable. From Gare Du Nord in Paris (somewhat seedy area) it's better just to take a cab to your hotel.

* this is a lot better than schlepping out to Heathrow and flying to Charles de Gaulle and coming back into town.

Few other points:

- London is very safe (after Tokyo, probably the safest big city in the developed world) BUT

- always look both ways before crossing the road (we drive on the wrong side of the road, and a lot of roads are 1 way)
- there is a problem with young kids on small motorbikes, snatching phones out of your hand. Don't pull your phone out when crossing the road or walking beside a road (even though the locals seem oblivious and do precisely that) - this happens in some of the main tourist areas
- we have very good pickpockets. International gangs travel and hit London. So always keep your eye on your bag in coffee shops, restaurants, busy shopping and tourist areas

- Paris also has
- a problem with jewelry and phones being snatched on the Metro (subway) (plus presumably the cautions of London) - keep them hidden
- a significant problem with thefts from hotel rooms - use the safes provided for your valuables (a good policy, generally)
- they drive on the correct side of the road, but Parisian traffic is famously aggressive, as a tourist you will feel at times like you are taking your life in your hands
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

We did this trip last summer. I definitely recommend the Eurostar high speed rail through the Chunnel between the two cities.
Watty

Post by Watty »

cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 3. I plan to bring enough cash (maybe with a little extra) to spend there, and will also bring my only credit card (Costco visa) just in case we need it? So we will have two credit cards (mine and my husbands). Do you see any problem here? I really don't want to open another credit card if not necessary.
Do not take that much cash.

In addition to not being necessary there is a lot of risk of losing it to a pickpocket which is very common in Europe. Do get money belts and use them. Make sure your spouse and you have different credit and ATM cards so that if a wallet or purse is lost you the other person will still have cards that have not been cancelled.

I would highly suggest getting the Rick Steves books for London and Paris to get a lot of information on how to get around and manage the practical things like cash. Here is the "money" page of his web site.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money

Among multiple other problems with taking cash, just what are you going to take; Dollars, Pounds, or Euros?
canderson

Post by canderson »

DO NOT purchase the London Pass. You will not get value out of it and it’ll make you fly site to site without actually experiencing them.

ATMs there for cash withdraws, you don’t really need much cash before you arrive. That gives you a better rate than any other way to get local currency. Taking cash is just giving yourself an opportunity to lose it.

For airfare use Google Flights. For hotels a TA can be good if you want a Virtuoso-type property. If not, hotels.com or whatever works just fine.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

recently in the Washington Post:
'How to plan your family’s first international vacation'
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

Also, travel light, take only one small overhead size bag for each adult. You'll probably ignore this and probably regret it later.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Thanks!

Claudia
1. Check Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc and compare. Typically, hotel sites themselves will be a few dollars cheaper, but for the off the wall type of places that I like to go to in Europe, take a look at Airbnb, GoWithOh, or one of those sites I mentioned above. Having an apartment in Europe is nice and I have usually gotten more value than hotel stays, but it depends. No need for a travel agent.
2. Bring an ATM card that has few fees, I use Ally even with the 1% penalty, and that will be your better option than money exchanging. In Paris especially, tons of places take credit cards. Your Costco Visa will probably work fine for the grand majority of your trip. I always take out more cash than I need and end up kicking myself.
3. That's fine.
4. Check the Disneyland Paris site (technically Euro Disney) and play around with incognito, the country of origin, etc. Messing around with it, my spouse was able to net us two tickets for $100 Euros total because we were U.S. Citizens. I would recommend planning out the day there. You really only need a half day at their Hollywood Studios portion, if that. The main Disneyland piece could take a day if you really want it to. The nighttime spectacular is pretty great, but it is very different from the U.S. Disney variants. Don't expect "Have a Magical Day" from these cast members. It's a cultural difference. I had a really good time.
5. Wouldn't recommend the passes. Plan everything out yourself and it should be slightly cheaper. Especially with a 6 year old, you may need to be flexible and the passes force you to go to thing you may not want to do.
6. Disneyland Paris is a haul from Paris Proper. A haul. Did I mention they are nowhere close to each other? You almost need another hotel for Disneyland Paris. It is 43 kilometers, per Google, but man, it feels like longer. You will have to take the RER A form Paris to Disneyland. That should come out to $10 per person per way. Doing the math, that is $60 Euros just to spend 1 hour 30 minutes on the RER. You can spend around $70 Euros on the Val D'Europe hotel which is less than a mile from the park. It is not the lap of luxury, don't get me wrong, but for us, it was worth it to just spend one night. You could make it work, but I probably wouldn't.

I agree with the advise above. Try to limit yourself to one carry on each that weighs no more than 8 kilograms each, total. It makes a huge difference not having to lug around huge bags and makes you less of a target for some unscrupulous pickpockets. While those parts of Europe are safe, definitely be on the lookout for pickpockets, especially in Paris, which I believe it the 4th highest pickpockets city in the world.
dbr

Post by dbr »

cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm

I would avoid all OTAs (online travel agents, such as Travelocity and Expedia). The problems that ensue when something gets upset and two parties start finger pointing are a very large fraction of travel problems and disputes. You do not want a third party between you and the supplier. I book directly with airlines and directly with hotels. Whether it is cheaper or easier to do your own booking I can't say. It is the only way I ever have or ever would do this and in my book the best way to get what I want. Some people advocate that a local brick and mortar travel agent is best for someone not sure what to do. I acknowledge that the inexperienced traveler could find self-booking to need a lot of research and be a little daunting. I consider the opportunity for research to be a benefit.

ATMs overseas are the way to go. Already covered by others. I always have a little bit of local cash in pocket ahead of time.

Cash from an ATM will be good for many purposes and credit cards are also necessary. I never travel out of the United States with less than three credit cards, but I don't think two is unreasonable. I think traveling on only one card is very risky.

A very important consideration is travel insurance. Especially important is being sure your have or buy overseas health insurance coverage including air evacuation back to the US. You might want to look at insuremytrip.com for some pointers.

Thanks!

Claudia
Last edited by dbr on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ZinCO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm 1. I don't think travel agents are interested in booking that kind of travel anymore, the commissions are close to zero. You are better off doing it yourself unless you are planning to use some really exotic tours or other add-ons to make it worth their while...
2. ATMs work well in Europe, but you'd need to make sure you had an ATM card that reimburses fees (Schwab, Fidelity, and others have been discussed numerous times in this forum). Absent that, yes, you might want to exchange money at this end, but plan to use CC in most places.
3. Costco Visa is foreign-transaction-fee free later this month, so that's a good choice. You'll want to make sure your husband's is too. It will be accepted just about everywhere.
5. We bought London Pass and lost a day due to a travel problem, then felt rushed to get value from it... In retrospect I think I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you want to see and have verified that those things are included.

I believe the London Pass gives you quick access to sites without waiting in line for a ticket. Since OP is traveling in peak season with a 6-year old :shock: I would think that feature alone would make the pass a must have.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

cherijoh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm
ZinCO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm 1. I don't think travel agents are interested in booking that kind of travel anymore, the commissions are close to zero. You are better off doing it yourself unless you are planning to use some really exotic tours or other add-ons to make it worth their while...

I believe the London Pass gives you quick access to sites without waiting in line for a ticket. Since OP is traveling in peak season with a 6-year old :shock: I would think that feature alone would make the pass a must have.
We actually found that very few places actually had the advertised quick-access lanes. On several occasions we were instructed to go wait in the regular lane. Maybe we didn't look hard enough, but we also thought that would be worth its weight in gold; we were disappointed.
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

Don't exchange money in advance or at a "currency exchange" booth, because they charge high fees and have poor exchange rates. Use an ATM machine upon arrival and whenever needed subsequently. Heathrow has lots of fee-free ATMs in the baggage claim area. They'll urge to to make a huge withdrawal (so that you'll exchange your leftover pounds later at a high-fee booth) but they can be persuaded to issue a smaller amount.

Avoid the London Pass because it's hard to make it cost-effective without a lot of frantic rushing.

Don't mail-order an Oyster pass for trains and subway ("tube") but instead get one from a vending machine upon arrival. Don't get a weekly Oyster, use the pay-as-you-go option. But if you have a contactless credit card, you may be able to use that directly as an Oyster substitute instead of buying a separate card. (Tap on entry, tap on exit, your card gets charged for the trip.)

The Eurostar fast train between London and Paris is nice, but buy tickets in advance to get a decent price.

Lots of good information at LondonToolkit.com.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm recently in the Washington Post:

Also, travel light, take only one small overhead size bag for each adult. You'll probably ignore this and probably regret it later.
:D Americans are used to escalators and elevators - be prepared to carry your suitcases up and down stairs for tube and train stations. Plus OP will be handicapped by the need to hold onto their daughter's hand. I highly recommend a carryon that converts to a backpack. I own this one from Eagle Creek.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Book plane tickets direct with the airline. I like Norweigen. Fly to London Gatwick and return from Paris or vice versa. There are also round trip methods via London. You just have see what works from your home town. We usually get to Los Angeles then fly out from there. That is cheaper than flying from Phoenix.

Book hotels direct as well. Do not put down big deposits beyond one nights $$. Stay close to the tourist areas.

I suggest the channel high speed train to get to Paris. It is fast and nice. Get on at St Pancress in London. Take the subway tube to get there from your hotel. Buy these tickets when you are there.

I usually convert about $200 to pounds or euros before I leave and then use credit cards mostly when over there. Very seldom do i spend all of this in 2 weeks. Get some coins if going to London. The toilets are pay at 50 pence.

Good Luck.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

gtownsend wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm But if you have a contactless credit card, you may be able to use that directly as an Oyster substitute instead of buying a separate card. (Tap on entry, tap on exit, your card gets charged for the trip.)
As it happens, the Costco Visa is a contactless card, but I never bothered to try it over there. It's also the only contactless card I have. And you'd need two, as I don't think there's any way for the two adults to share it (your six-year-old is free when accompanied by an adult).

Has anyone actually tried a US contactless card at the Tube gates?
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

The Paris metro is easy to get pick-pocketed. This happened to my wife.
More than the $500 was the impact on my wife, who didn't feel safe the rest of the time on Paris.
We got caught when we arrived on a train from Versailles with lots of luggage. We took them metro from the
train station, and should have just taken a cab to the hotel so we could get rid of the luggage which
marked us as loaded down tourists, perfect "marks".

The money belt is very important, especially for passports. Put day money in your pocket,
passport and extra money in the money belt, and get some out each day. The Google Fi worked
exceptionally in London. If you have one, use it. If you can borrow one, I'd do so.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

cherijoh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm
Jeff Albertson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm
:D Americans are used to escalators and elevators - be prepared to carry your suitcases up and down stairs for tube and train stations. Plus OP will be handicapped by the need to hold onto their daughter's hand. I highly recommend a carryon that converts to a backpack. I own this one from Eagle Creek.
Learning to travel light has completely changed my view and approach to travel and even to some degree life now that I realize really how little I need to really do everything I need to do. I use the Tom Bhin 30L Aeronaut which is a convertible backpack (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/tra ... 6381008647). It is so small that fully packed it will easily fit underneath a seat or even in an overhead compartment on a small puddle jumper. With travel clothing that dries overnight I can travel indefinitely with just this bag. It will even pass muster on low cost European carriers which have a much smaller carry on size though fully packed it probably does exceed their weight limits but nobody every has questioned me on it or asked me to weigh it. No lost luggage, no checked baggage fees, can go straight to the gate, etc....
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

would suggest buying Rick Steves' "Europe through the back door" for general info. It will address many of the questions you asked.

would also suggest buying his books on London and Paris.

He updates the books each year.
Focus on what you can control
darkhorse346

Post by darkhorse346 »

I'd look into the high-speed trains between cities. Google EuroStar/Thalys and check out your options. Top speeds reach 300 kph (186 mph) and the pricing is very reasonable. Looks like you could get between London and Paris in about 2.5 hours.

Cannot speak to the London/Paris trip but experienced round-trip Thalys train between Amsterdam Centraal to Paris Gare du Nord. Took about 3 hours and 15 minutes, including short stops in Rotterdam, Antwerp, and Brussels.

Hope you and your family have a great trip! You will not regret going to Paris...unforgettable!
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm recently in the Washington Post:

couldn't agree more....most people over pack . 1 carry on per person is all most will need. My days of rolling around big heavy luggage to different hotels and to and from the airports are long gone.
white_water

Post by white_water »

Another vote for Chunnel train. Getting to -from Heathrow /Charle de Gaulle is time consuming esp with luggage and a child in hand.

And the second class seats on the train are better than 1st class US seats. You won't see much besides a few lights once you're in the tunnel.
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Thanks!

Claudia
I recommend booking the flights and hotels directly, exchanging money once you arrive, not buying passes in advance, reading Rick Steves' books, and booking a hotel or apartment with laundry facilities so you can do laundry halfway through your trip and cut the amount you need to pack in half. Several years ago, my family stayed in an apartment in Paris with a view of Notre Dame, a small washing machine, and proximity to several French bakeries where my husband took a child to choose our breakfast each morning. I considered staying in an apartment to be an interesting part of the experience.
mageedge

Post by mageedge »

A couple of additional thoughts to add to the useful feedback you've already received -

You didn't specify your flight plans but, if you weren't already looking, I'd suggest a flight into London and out of Paris -this will save money vs. leaving from London (which incurs high departure fees). You should be able to find this kind of "open jaw" ticket to be competitive with a single city round trip.

I prefer the vacation rental option when with kids - we used that in both London and Paris - more convenient and, usually, better value than hotels in either of those cities. Had success with both AirBNB and VRBO.
For London - if you're arriving Heathrow the tube station, Picadilly Line, is in the terminal - look for rental or hotel close to a tube station on that line, I suggest the Earls Court- South Kensington area which is close to museums (my kids loved Natural History and Science) and about 40 minutes travel time. This area also avoids having to cross the town on the tube with luggage. If you come into Gatwick then Victoria for accommodation would be convenient.
Legoland, Windsor was already mentioned - I'd agree, it was a huge hit with my 7 year old and worth the trip out there.

On money, as others have noted, ATM on arrival will give you the best exchange rate - try to use a no or low fee debit card. If you are really uncomfortable having no euros/pounds ahead of the trip then your bank or AAA will usually be better than forex kiosks/stores (but still a poor exchange rate) but get the lowest amount that will provide the needed comfort level until you can find that ATM!
Credit cards are extremely convenient and widely used in both cities and.obviously, safer than cash. Some ticket kiosks MAY be a problem if you don't have chip and pin but there will be cash or ticket window options. Do make sure your card is "no foreign transaction fee" , have at least 2 cards ,from different banks, between you and don't forget to notify banks of travel plans.
Hope that helps, have a great trip.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

We took our then 6-year-old son on his first foreign trip to London and Paris as well. My best advice is to streamline the travel, as others have mentioned. We stayed near the Piccadilly line. The faster Heathrow Express leaves you at Paddington, which is not near anything. An hour on the tube is far better than anything with transfers. The Eurostar is expensive and one of the least interesting train rides I have taken in Europe, but the direct city center connection makes it an easy choice.

There are tremendous numbers of kid-friendly activities in the center of both cities. I would not waste time visiting Versailles, Windsor, or even Greenwich (unless they hold a particular fascination for the adults). If you’re not comfortable riding subways, consider the hop-on/hop-off sightseeing buses. They are super-kitschy and a little pricey, but also super easy, and cheaper than getting lost.

I love Disney almost as much as I love foreign travel, but consider that Disney is an escapist fantasy into a different world, and so is a trip to Paris. There are carousels in parks and on street corners, pedal cart rentals, model sailboats in the Luxembourg Garden, creperies on cobblestone streets, artists sketching, and so on. Paris is Disney in the real world.
rainyday1

Post by rainyday1 »

Good advice in this thread.

Definitely take more than one credit card and debit card. Funny things happen when traveling abroad, and it would be a huge hassle if your credit cards were stolen or shut down and you only have one.

Get cash from the atms abroad. When living in the U.K., we would only get cash that way. It was much cheaper than wiring money to our U.K. Account and getting cash from the U.K. Account. Eurostar is awesome - definitely take the train to Paris. It's a 2 hour ride and very pleasant. When arriving in Paris, I recommend taking either a taxi or the Metro lines. Riding the RER out of that station was a horrible experience. Even though the Metro was slower, it was much cleaner.

I love the Heathrow Express. You don't pay for kids and it is really nice. Book tickets way ahead and they are cheap. You can't beat the 15 minutes to Paddington.

To get around London, download the Gett app for fixed-fare black taxi rides. Cuts the price by probably 50% and you know ahead of time. I used Uber too, but once I found Gett, I prefer riding in the black taxis with the fixed fare. Price was just a bit higher but almost always a better experience. Tube is excellent, as are double-decker buses. Get the Oyster card to have quick access to trains.

In London, my kids loved Natural History and Science Museums, Tower of London, Harrods Toy Section, Regents Park, Princess Diana playground (this is amazing!) in Hyde Park, walking streets of Nottingham Hill, Camden Market. They didn't love Borough Market like I did, but they could be bribed with the fantastic dessert area. Also, Museum of London is excellent as well.

In Paris, they loved creperies, Luxembourg Gardens, Latin Quarter, Sacre-Couer (the part outside more), Musee d'Orsay and seeing the Eiffel Tower up close. When kids were small, we did Big Bus tours so we could see city and they could nap. Worked great. To see Louvre, we did a tour for kids, called Muse Clues. Pricey but kids liked it so much, they were willing to go to the Orsay too. My 11yo loved Versailles.

Enjoy!
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

For money..

I use the Capital One 360 bank account and their debit card is good all over Europe, no fees. All the people telling you you don't need cash are wrong. Many, many places in Europe do NOT take credit cards, they only take chip-and-pin cards. If you don't have this, you need cash. Some places ONLY take chip-and-pin cards (not many, but some), so it helps to ask ahead of time unless you see someone else paying with cash or credit card.

For cell service - you absolutely want cell and data. WIFI is prevalent, but not everywhere. Verizon has a $10/day plan, or you can get a phone/sim when you get here.

Are you totally sold on London and Paris? For a family I can think of a lot better places to go.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I recommend you check www.tripadvisor.com for information and advice for your trip. This is a great site for travel with many experts for each site to advise you. IMO, the best travel site on the Internet.
WpgGuy

Post by WpgGuy »

cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 1. Is it cheaper to purchase plane tickets and book the hotel online (e.g. Travelocity, Expedia etc.)? Or should I look for a travel agent here in the US to help.
+1 to other posters, just use Google Flights for Flights, and online booking sites for hotel. I've been to London quite a few times (going again later this year!), and by far Double Tree Westminster (30 John Islip St, Westminster) in London has the best balance between location/value/space. Be careful with the hotel ratings in London (4* USA != 4* Europe), the "boutique" hotels have high prices and the standards (bathrooms, room size etc) fall well below what you might be used to here in the states (e.g. Marriot, Hilton etc). My preference is to stick with American chains as while bathrooms are a bit more cramped and the value is much better (sorry Brits...but Americans know how to do lodging better than anyone in the world IMHO).

Thinks to do in London:
1. Checkout Piccadilly Circus (Shopping, Theatre shows etc.), think time square; walk to Oxford Street Circus. (free)
2. British Museum (cheap, can't recall price but worth every penny)
3. Science & Tech Museum (free)
4. Natural History Museum (free)
5. Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace + Walk in St. James Park (free), optionally take tour and visit gift shop.
6. Harry Potter Tour @ Warner Bros. Studio (Hatford England); allocate a full day for this (2/3 day at a minimum). ($$$, but worth it)
7. Walk around Westminster (free); optional tour if you book in advance.
8. Take in Kings Cross Station, stunning station. (free)
9. Check out British Library (free, though you'll need some "excuse" to examine a book if you want to see the reading rooms; arrange for excuse in advance)
10. Walk along the River Thames, shop at random street markets (free; haggle like you are on Pawn Stars and show that you weren't born yesterday....start at 1/2 of the asking price :D )

.... just take it all in, being in London is like being in your favourite British movie (i.e. surreal), because it's safe, easy to get around and everyone speaks a language you can understand, you can let your guard down a bit vs. other places in Europe IMHO.

Random tips:
1. Stay downtown when in London and buy an "Oyster" card for the subway (don't bother to buy in advance). (Zone 1 is usually enough, 1-3 max IMHO)
2. Take Uber from Heathrow, way cheaper than Taxi
3. If flying into Gatwick, take the Train for speed. Uber might be cheaper for 3 people but probably more time.
4. Avoid surface transport, the Tube is absurdly efficient, and within a day you will be a pro reading the maps and zipping around.
5. Buy a global data plan for your smartphone, or buy an unlocked phone (amazon) and use a European SIM while in Europe. Having access to Google, Google maps etc is invaluable.
cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 2. Should I exchange the money here in the US before my trip? I heard it is more expensive to do it at the airports overseas.
+1 to other posts, get a Schwab or Fidelity ATM card, they rebate fees.
cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 3. I plan to bring enough cash (maybe with a little extra) to spend there, and will also bring my only credit card (Costco visa) just in case we need it? So we will have two credit cards (mine and my husbands). Do you see any problem here? I really don't want to open another credit card if not necessary.
VISA/Mastercard is widely accepted in the UK (even Amex in many places), see #2. London is a very safe city, but why worry about cash?
cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 4. We want to take our girl to Paris Disneyland. I saw online that you can purchase the ticket in advance. Do you think it is necessary?
No clue.
cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 5. Any passes (London Pass?) you recommend that I purchase in advance? My only concern is that we may not be able to use them because something happens. Maybe I am just over-thinking here.
No.
cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 6. Since we want to spend a day in Disneyland, should we book a night of hotel closer to the park? I hope we don't have to move hotel. Ideally, we stay in one hotel in London and one hotel in Paris.
No clue.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

WpgGuy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 am
cswenson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 1. Is it cheaper to purchase plane tickets and book the hotel online (e.g. Travelocity, Expedia etc.)? Or should I look for a travel agent here in the US to help.
+1 to other posters, just use Google Flights for Flights, and online booking sites for hotel. I've been to London quite a few times (going again later this year!), and by far Double Tree Westminster (30 John Islip St, Westminster) in London has the best balance between location/value/space. Be careful with the hotel ratings in London (4* USA != 4* Europe), the "boutique" hotels have high prices and the standards (bathrooms, room size etc) fall well below what you might be used to here in the states (e.g. Marriot, Hilton etc). My preference is to stick with American chains as while bathrooms are a bit more cramped and the value is much better (sorry Brits...but Americans know how to do lodging better than anyone in the world IMHO).

Thinks to do in London:
1. Checkout Piccadilly Circus (Shopping, Theatre shows etc.), think time square; walk to Oxford Street Circus. (free)
That takes you up Regent Street, which is big name stores (Apple, Hamleys etc). Hamleys is an amazing toy store, but if one wants to travel light... it's also always busy (mornings better than afternoons, Saturday is impossible).

Oxford Circus these days is just a big traffic interchange. If you go west on Oxford St you get John Lewis Partners and Selfridge's, which are pretty good department stores. But it's basically about mass shopping. The BBC (tv & radio) has an exhibit further up on Portland Place, for fans of British tv shows (many of them are actually made by the private sector rival, ITV).

A better walk for sights is perhaps Pic Circus to Leicester Square to Covent Garden. Really gives you a feel for London in the West End.
2. British Museum (cheap, can't recall price but worth every penny)
3. Science & Tech Museum (free)
4. Natural History Museum (free)
All of these are free, and very busy. The average 6 year old will have more fun at the latter 2 (which are next to each other, in South Kensington).
5. Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace + Walk in St. James Park (free), optionally take tour and visit gift shop.
That's a very busy event. A 6 year old won't be able to see. Might be worth a miss.

The Cabinet War Rooms (on Whitehall down below 10 Downing Street ie Prime Minister's residence) are really fascinating if into the history-- Churchill and the War Cabinet ran the war from in there. Things like the telephone booth (by which he could call FDR on a scrambled phone, the British (correctly) feared the Germans were tapping the trans Atlantic cable) which most people thought was a personal lavatory for Churchill!

There is also the Imperial War Museum (Lambeth North tube station on the Bakerloo line) which has just been redone-- they administer the Cabinet War Rooms. It's got a lot of standalone exhibits (real sized model of a WW1 Trench for example) and is quite interactive in that way for a 6 year old interested in that sort of thing. Again entry is free except to special exhibits.
6. Harry Potter Tour @ Warner Bros. Studio (Hatford England); allocate a full day for this (2/3 day at a minimum). ($$$, but worth it)
I have not done this. Platform 9 3/4 itself is signposted at Kings Cross Station w a Harry Potter shop next to it (Kings Cross is actually just East of St Pancras where you catch the Eurostar, they look like the same station on the map, but are technically separate stations on opposite sides of a side road).
7. Walk around Westminster (free); optional tour if you book in advance.
I am thinking you mean Westminster Cathedral? Again, the tour of Parliament takes more arranging than that (and would probably try a 6 year old a bit).
8. Take in Kings Cross Station, stunning station. (free)
Kings X and St Pancras were built about 50 years apart at opposite ends of the Victorian era. Kings Cross has been redone with a new mall to the side, but is a quite elegant and simple early Victorian station. St Pancras is unbelievably flamboyant and OTT and has been redone as a hotel with bars and restaurants (local trains, and also the Eurostar to Paris).
9. Check out British Library (free, though you'll need some "excuse" to examine a book if you want to see the reading rooms; arrange for excuse in advance)
British Library is literally 2 minutes to the West of St Pancras.

You have to get a Reader's Pass if you want to go into the stacks (where you request books). There is also a permanent exhibit of some of the treasures, and there is always a temporary exhibit, often very interesting.
10. Walk along the River Thames, shop at random street markets (free; haggle like you are on Pawn Stars and show that you weren't born yesterday....start at 1/2 of the asking price :D )
The best walk is from opposite side of the river (ie the South Bank) at Tower Bridge up to the Tate Modern (old power plant) where you can go see the Turbine Hall (special exhibits) without getting sucked into the museum as a whole (you have to like modern art). Then stroll across the Millennium footbridge to St. Paul's (which is worth the ticket, I think it is the largest cathedral in Europe outside of Rome?)-- don't do this on a Sunday though (church is in service) unless you plan to attend an Anglican service.

Before you get to Tate Modern, you encounter the Globe Theatre (Shakespeare). Again might be too much for a 6 year old, but it's still a lovely walk.

Then you come back across the river and walk up to Westminster Bridge (where Parliament is). On the way you will pass the London Eye (wheel)-- booking ticket ahead is crucial (as is a head for heights) but it does give an amazing view of the city.
.... just take it all in, being in London is like being in your favourite British movie (i.e. surreal), because it's safe, easy to get around and everyone speaks a language you can understand, you can let your guard down a bit vs. other places in Europe IMHO.
Covent Garden is probably the other very touristy area that is worth it.

A boat tour downriver to Greenwich or even Woolwich (the Thames Barrier - flood control) is worth it, even if you don't stop off at Greenwich and just go down the river and back up. Also London is about walking, so it gets you off your feet.

I should note that I consider Knightsbridge and Harrod's department store badly overrated. Whilst Sloane Square itself is nice and some of the sidestreets really lovely, it's all very expensive brand names (Prada etc.).

If you need a department store, then John Lewis on Oxford Street or Peter Jones at Sloane Square (smaller but same chain) are the best bets.
Random tips:
1. Stay downtown when in London and buy an "Oyster" card for the subway (don't bother to buy in advance). (Zone 1 is usually enough, 1-3 max IMHO)
2. Take Uber from Heathrow, way cheaper than Taxi
3. If flying into Gatwick, take the Train for speed. Uber might be cheaper for 3 people but probably more time.
A cab from Gatwick can get stuck in traffic in south London, and take forever.

Uber from Heathrow is a pretty good way for 3 people, shouldn't be too bad to the West End.

Places with lots of hotels-- Bloomsbury (around the British Museum) and Holborn , West End (can be quite expensive). The other place to consider is South Kensington (easy from Heathrow on the Piccadilly line or by Uber, Nat Hist & Science Museum are there, also Victoria & Albert Museum (decorative arts-- unbelievably huge collection).
4. Avoid surface transport, the Tube is absurdly efficient, and within a day you will be a pro reading the maps and zipping around.
It's true about speed, but you really only know London if you sit on the top deck of a London bus and see it pass by. Weekdays especially traffic can be very bad.
5. Buy a global data plan for your smartphone, or buy an unlocked phone (amazon) and use a European SIM while in Europe. Having access to Google, Google maps etc is invaluable.
Good advice.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Thanks!

Claudia
1. I always purchase my own airplane tickets to England. One huge tip that I rarely see mentioned is that if you want to save money in London or anyplace in England (I haven't been to Paris), avoid the hotels and stay in Bed and Breakfast places. The latter are everywhere and generally 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a hotel room plus you get a hot breakfast prepared for you in the morning. I also have found it helpful talking to the other guests in the morning over breakfast to see what everyone else is doing and usually pick up some ideas that hadn't crossed my mind.

2 & 3. I never exchange money before the trip. At least where I bank charges for this service unless it is over a certain amount and I never carry that much cash when overseas. Like others said, take a good credit card and hit up an ATM machine in the airport. Another hint, I've been all over the world and just about every airport takes U.S. dollars that I've been too. Not all but definitely Heathrow does if you need anything while inside the airport.

5. I always just pick up a London Pass on the day of use at one of their kiosks that are in most tube or train stations. That way I don't have to worry about changing circumstances.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Definitely no need for a travel agent. Book yourself. Choose well located lodging (very close to a major interchange station if you are going to use public transit and central if you are going to use taxis). It will cost more but very much worth it especially if the six year old will do best with a mid-day nap.

Public transit in London will be economical since you have a child under 11 and paying for just the two adults. More than two adults especially 4+ adults a taxi/ride share may be more economical. Visitor Oyster cards are a great idea because they start out with a discounted single ride fare then cap at the max daily rate if you use them multiple times per day.

I'm personally not a fan of hop on/hop off busses but some travelers are and if you are in London only for a few days that might be an option you want to consider. For a short visit I'd focus on Central London and save day trips like Stonehenge for another trip. Euro Disney is easily accessible by RER train from central Paris.

Many of London's top museums and destinations are compliments of the British taxpayers so you can structure a trip for a few days that doesn't have any admission charges. British Museum is overwhelming for everyone so the way to approach it is to focus on a few collections. A six year old might like Egyptian artifacts better than Chinese vases and may not know who the Assyrians were. A 10 year old might appreciate that.

In both London and Paris we enjoy group walking tours. We use "London Walks" and "Paris Walks". Paying a small amount gets a better experience than "free" tours but they are much cheaper than the cost of a private or small group guide. Duration is about 2 hours which may work well with a six year old. Guides are good to outstanding in our experience (never had one that was less than good). Off the beaten path walking tours are sometimes more interesting than ones that focus on tourist areas. London and Paris are large, old cities. There is interesting history and architecture in many unexpected places.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
dbr

Post by dbr »

stan1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am
I'm personally not a fan of hop on/hop off busses but some travelers are and if you are in London only for a few days that might be an option you want to consider. For a short visit I'd focus on Central London and save day trips like Stonehenge for another trip. Euro Disney is easily accessible by RER train from central Paris.
We enjoy such tourist buses for an excursion on a day or two in various places. It is a really good way to just view the sites in a city. It might be a very good activity for a child because not so much walking is involved and there are lots of cars and trucks (I mean lorries) and stuff to see. For actually getting around in London the tube and taxis (for three people!) work fine, also regular buses. The tube can be really crowded at some hours.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

dbr wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 am
stan1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am
We enjoy such tourist buses for an excursion on a day or two in various places. It is a really good way to just view the sites in a city. It might be a very good activity for a child because not so much walking is involved and there are lots of cars and trucks (I mean lorries) and stuff to see. For actually getting around in London the tube and taxis (for three people!) work fine, also regular buses. The tube can be really crowded at some hours.
I try to discourage people from using the Tube, if they do not have to, from about 730am to about 9am, and from about 530-6pm to 7 pm. Most lines are just suffocating. If you are going against the dominant flow (inward in the morning, outward in the evening) it's much better. The City of London (financial district) and Canary Wharf are busier much earlier than the West End. The stations which are also major train stations (Liverpool St, London Bridge, Waterloo, Victoria, Paddington, Euston, Kings X-St P) get really busy at peak commuter times.

The Tube is never "not busy". It can be just insane at those particular times or if there is some delay. Oxford Circus for example at 630-700 pm. Some stations close entry due to overcrowding at peak times (Camden station on Saturdays and Sundays due to the market).

The Tube is also not air conditioned-- the tunnels are too old, and thus there would be nowhere to dump the heat AC produces (tunnels too small). That does surprise visitors from other cities.

The only thing with those hop on off buses is that many (all?) of them seem to have an open deck on top? That's too hot on London's warm days, and too cold and wet on the (far more frequent) lousy days.

The regular buses are a great way to get around, but can be very slow. But the top deck of a London bus is one of the world's great travel treats-- wish you could do that in New York (where the windows seem deliberately small, perhaps for cooling reasons?).

Black cabs are expensive. Really expensive. When you have the suitcase, well, what the heck. But otherwise only if you really need to.
WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty »

Thanks!

Claudia

I don't know if someone has already said this, as I didn't read through all the replies, but give Costco a check before you buy. I have been told that they offer great rates, but do not have first hand knowledge. If money is no object, Disney also offers their own version of this same trip, and you get a guide and tickets to many hot spots...but it's waaaaaay expensive.

Good luck.
mattfr

Post by mattfr »

Hello, local Parisian here. Lots of great advice already provided; if you’re interested in more “local” things let me know.

We know Disneyland Paris very well and enjoy going with the kids. Yes, do buy your tickets at least 24h in advance. You will not only save yourself the substantial lines at the ticket window, you will also pay substantially less than the 99€ ticket window rate. Actual discounts depend on specific dates.

The parks open early (8h30 instead of 10am) to people staying at the hotels. Getting into the park earlier is worth it… the kids are “fresher”, lines are shorter, and people are nicer. As the day wears on, things get harder.

If you do an open-jaw plane ticket (arrive in London and depart from Paris), consider spending your last day and night at Disneyland. Transit options from Disneyland to the airport are numerous. The fastest and cheapest is to use ChauffeurPrivé. Uber does exist here, but it’s far from the best service and tends to be more expensive than the local companies. Just download the app in English and you’re good to go.

Drop me a line if you need any help planning or run into challenges while you’re here.

À bientôt !