Need to buy new printer. Suggestions for best value?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kennedy

Need to buy new printer. Suggestions for best value?

Post by Kennedy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 am

Our HP 7525 printer died, and it needs to be replaced. We've been buying ink cartridges at Costco and having them refilled there. I think they can be refilled four times, and then we need to buy new cartridges. Those little buggers are expensive!

The last two HP printers we purchased lasted a little over two years each. I'm thinking they should last longer than that, but maybe I'm wrong? They seem to die just after the extra year warranty offered by Costco.

Any suggestions for a brand/model of printer that would provide good value in terms of purchase price and ongoing cost of ink?

lthenderson

Re: Need to buy new printer. Suggestions for best value?

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am

There are literally dozens of threads on this subject if you use the search tool. Most say Brother printers. I have always used Canon laser printers because they last forever and the laser cartridge also lasts forever. I will never go back to ink printers again.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 am

I was going to suggest a Brother laser as well!

We gave up on color printing at home years ago because we realized very little of what we need to print needs to be in color, and ink is ridiculously expensive, and doesn't hold up well when it sits idle for weeks or months.

We bought a Brother all-in-one laser a couple of years ago and it has been great. Wifi printing. Copying. Fax if you want it. Does duplex printing and copying. We still haven't used up the original toner. I think it cost about $150.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am

onourway wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 am
We gave up on color printing at home years ago because we realized very little of what we need to print needs to be in color, and ink is ridiculously expensive, and doesn't hold up well when it sits idle for weeks or months.
We did the same mostly because you can print color photos online mailed to your door for around $0.09 per photo for those times when you actually need a color photo. It was much cheaper than what we spent buying colored inks.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am
There are literally dozens of threads on this subject if you use the search tool.
Saving the OP (and others) some time, the search results for topics containing 'printer'.

The first thing to know is the usage requirements. At the top of the decision tree is whether the OP need colour or just black and white? Multi-function capabilities such as scanning? Once these key requirements are known, it will narrow the search.

Personally I only need black and white and wanted scanning functionality, so I choose a Canon all-in-one laser. My total cost of ownership has been very good as the laser cartridges have a long duty cycle. I have a Canon MF4150 that dates from 2007 or so and continues to operate well and meet all my needs. I would certainly recommend it or the current equivalent. My previous laser printer was a HP LaserJet 1020 (??) and I was disappointed in HP's lack of driver updates that essentially rendered the printer obsolete after a few OS upgrades. Canon has done a much better job making drivers available for new OSes.

The last point to consider, most printers these days seem to be sold with the printer itself being a loss-leader, the profit is the ongoing ink/toner replacement, so make sure you consider total cost of ownership over a number of ink/toner replacement cycles.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am

If you need color, I personally have had good luck with Canon printers and buying generics. That being said, the Chinese generic cartridges usually lag a few months to year when Canon switches up the DRM chips on the cartridges. But, once caught up, it's usually a dollar or two per cartridge, in bulk, off of Amazon or ebay.

If you don't need color, I have always heard good things on Brother laser printers. For me, I have an HP multifunction laser that I buy generic toner cartridges for at about $6 to $8 a piece.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:09 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 am
The last point to consider, most printers these days seem to be sold with the printer itself being a loss-leader, the profit is the ongoing ink/toner replacement, so make sure you consider total cost of ownership over a number of ink/toner replacement cycles.

Correct.

People remember the old, old, 1990s era HP laser printers and how "they don't make things like they used to anymore". Well, those printers, at the time, were built to last in both available replacement parts and high quality builds. They were also about $1,000+ and in some cases $2,000. Yeah, they'll likely outlive all of us if taken care of and serviced.

Now, laser printers.... I picked up a refurbished Canon laser printer for $20 on Newegg Flash once.

Also, you can still spend $1000+ easily on laser printers with very high build qualities and features.... most consumers do not end up going that route.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am
onourway wrote:
We did the same mostly because you can print color photos online mailed to your door for around $0.09 per photo for those times when you actually need a color photo. It was much cheaper than what we spent buying colored inks.
Last year we went with a mid-range HP color laser printer (copy, scan and fax features also). We wanted the ability to print documents in color. What we did not need was the ability to print photos at home, which as the above post notes, are expensive compared to having a photo service print them for you. And the photo services have better printers than you do. The laserjets are more expensive than inkjets up front, but I think produce better documents, warm up instantly, and can sit idle without using ink.

Our last inkjet, an Epson XP 820, may it burn forever in ..... never mind. It used cartridges *monthly*. Even when you didn't print anything. I tossed it in working condition, lacking a worst enemy to give it to. We've had our laserjet for 13 months now and are still on the original ink cartridges.

To specifically answer the OP's question, the best value depends upon your needs (printing only, faxing, scanning, etc?). And what you print - as noted I think few people need to print photos at home. But I personally would not want a black and white only printer. I think a laserjet is the best value, but there are inkjets with much better ink life cycle costs than that dog of an EPSON we had. As with many gadgets, I don't like to buy the cheapest printers. Pay a little more for a better product. Printers do not get obsolete as fast as many consumer electronics.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 am

onourway wrote:
I was going to suggest a Brother laser as well!

We bought a Brother all-in-one laser a couple of years ago and it has been great. Wifi printing. Copying. Fax if you want it. Does duplex printing and copying. We still haven't used up the original toner. I think it cost about $150.
+1

Love my Brother wifi laser.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:09 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am
There are literally dozens of threads on this subject if you use the search tool. Most say Brother printers. I have always used Canon laser printers because they last forever and the laser cartridge also lasts forever. I will never go back to ink printers again.
Many threads.

FWIW I usually buy mine at Costco, have done the Canon Pixma, the Brother etc... recent one is the Epson Workforce WF-3540 and could not be more pleased with it. Got at Costco, where you can get replacement ink anytime you need it. Also look up the reviews online at Amazon and the other sites, the WF-3540 is extensively reviewed in a positive light. Also FWIW I work from home so it is a home office work printer, albeit not the highest volume.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

FriedFire

Post by FriedFire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Brother B&W laser printer w/ mobile printing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763WDSYZ/

Plus mobile scanning app to digitize mail before shredding.

dpc

Post by dpc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 pm

At a pure anecdotal level, I've been happy with the Brother ink-jet all-in-one we've had for a couple of years. We don't print that much so the cost savings per page for laser printing doesn't mean too much to me. YMMV.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 pm

After I got tired of wasting money on expired cartridges, I kept my HP all in one Printer for scanning and bought this one a few months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/PANTUM-P2502W-Wi ... 9%3APANTUM

I don't need color printing and don't print that much so this one works great for my needs.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 pm

My Canon Pixma is similar to this one.
Excellent in all respects.(wireless)
I print occasionally.
When I need cartridges I go to ebay.
Color and Black on the way now for 20.00 total.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA- ... e/45830928

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Laser brother.

brausch

Post by brausch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 pm

I've got two printers that I love:

Canon Pixma MX-922 inkjet. Reliable, ok with 3rd party inks, good quality color.

Brother HL-2240 Laser printer. Best printer I've ever owned. Works good with 3rd party toner.

PS: I bought them at different times when on super sale at Best Buy, etc. I've had them both for a few years and only paid $50 each. Normally they were both over $150.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Quite happy with my Samsung laser. WiFi printing works well. Off brand toner cartridges work well. $16 for 3000 pages on Amazon.

I also have a fancy professional photo printer that I got used. Only useful for photos, but golly those photos look amazing.

If I need color prints, I walk down to the fedex store on the corner and pay them an arm and a leg. That isn’t necessary very often.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 pm

I use a 5 year old HP Photosmart 7525 - scan, fax,copy, print. I run ultra cheap 3rd party "brand x" cartridges purchased on line for 1/5 the cost of HP ink cartridges and have no issues.

If it broke tomorrow I'd likely get a HP Envy 5660 to replace it. It scans, copies, and prints but does not fax. Basically no need to actually hardcopy fax any more. There are free web apps that perform that function and in most cases you can send a pdf of a scan which is almost universally accepted at this point.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 pm

I am looking at a brother with copy/scan, no auto feed laser, new, wireless, about 130 at office Depot
Also looking used office printer HP, circa 2007 for 40
About 5-7000 paged life remaining.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Whatever you do, do not buy Epson. They've set it up where it disables the printer when ANY cartridge is out. I ran out of one of the color inks and it would print a few pages when you set it to print black / gray only but it would be disabled until you replace whatever cartridge is out.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 am

harrychan wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm
Whatever you do, do not buy Epson. They've set it up where it disables the printer when ANY cartridge is out. I ran out of one of the color inks and it would print a few pages when you set it to print black / gray only but it would be disabled until you replace whatever cartridge is out.
+1
I also had this experience. I was printing "black only" 99% of the time, but would get warnings that one of the colors was out. It turns out that a few drops are used even when you print black only. I got annoyed buying colored inks only so I could get my black printouts done.

Then I went to a Brother laser MFC-8710. But ever since I put a second toner cartridge in, I have a mess. Each page comes out spattered with random ink "dust". So I found some directions online on how to open it up and clean it, but things just got worse. Every page is now gray. Repair folks say they can't clean it and it would be cheaper to just buy a new printer. I was going to avoid Brother, but now I don't know, since so many of you are pleased with yours.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 pm

After having many other brands and them going out after 1-2 years, I've had good luck with Brother. I've also had good luck with non OEM cartridges on Amazon that cost around $10 for a set of 4. If you don't print a lot (which I don't), I've found printing something once a month will help keep the cartridges from drying out/failing.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:46 pm

harrychan wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm
Not only that, but after 1-2 years, the printhead jams and cannot be cleaned/repaired. When this happens you can't even use the scanner :oops: Epson's "fix" is to replace it with a refurb for (likely) more than you paid for the printer in the first place. About a year ago I threw my 18-month old WF-4630 in the trash, along with a full set of brand-new ink cartridges, and ordered a Dell multifunction laser to replace it. It's been flawless so far.

engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 pm

There are some ink-jet reservoir printers out there now. Save a ton on ink, but with a higher up front cost.

We just got one for X-mas and I don't have enough long term experience with it other than it is much nicer than my old ink-jet.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm
Laser brother.
Love my brother. Paid $50 for it. I think the starter cartridge lasted me two-three years. LOL Then paid $9 for a cartridge on ebay. No more ink jets for me.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

barreg

Post by barreg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Another vote for the Brother laser printer

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 pm

We really like our Brother laser printers. Have served us well for years.
Wiki

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm

just bought a Brother HL-L2380DW (deplux, scan, wifi). Floor unit (Office Depot) as model has been superceded to new 2395. My old Brother MFC 8500 (circa 2000) worked fine and I just bought a new drum in 2016. However, my computer/laptops/mobile phones and their software did not support that printer model.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 am

I’m happy with my brother laser black and white printer. The only problem is that DD got my old one with the physical Ethernet port. My new one is Wifi only. Twice now it’s disabled the WiFi resulting in troubleshooting. This usually happens when I’m out of town and DS has homework to print.

So I’d buy a brother black and white printer again. But I’d try to get one with physical Ethernet (or at least USB) in addition to WiFi.

Color/inkjet printers are for people who enjoy torment. Never again.

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 am

My family *does* occasionally need to print color photos and/or color documents. So we have a black and white laser printer (currently a Canon all-in-one, though I considered a Brother as well) and a nice Canon inkjet in the basement for those occasional color prints.

So far I have not had issues with aging ink in the inkjet printer, but I usually stick with OEM (for me buying eBay ink is a false economy if it ruins the printhead).

Optmst

Post by Optmst » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:59 pm

I too have a Brother B&W laser, and it has been excellent. If you want color, this new sale listing may be of interest to you:

https://www.dealnews.com/Dell-E525-W-La ... 82628.html
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 pm

I have had a Costco HP for quite some time. It works pretty well, and the Costco cartridge refills are cheap. But the best thing about the HP is the 3 year warranty I purchased. With Mac updates and sundry changes i have found that indispensable. Do other printer makers offer something similar to this 3 year warranty?