Longer Work Hours: Tips for adjusting?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kjvmartin

Longer Work Hours: Tips for adjusting?

Post by kjvmartin »

In mid 30s - I've hit a fork in my career path and will be starting a new job, in a new field, with a new company.

The first ten years of my work life have been in non profit and government work. There's a bit of a stereotype that we'd get off work at 5:00 and home my 4:00. 8-) The union hours were great, as well as the PTO and holidays. Otherwise, the pay was static, decent (not great), and not merit based. I've enjoyed good leave benefits, weekends off, flexibility, paid time home with 2 newborns, and paid time off in abundance for family/medical issues.

Has anyone ever gone from a relaxed schedule to a more demanding one? How was the experience long term? Any regrets? Tips for adjusting? Effects on family life? Did you find yourself 5-10 years in with a flush bank account wondering how to find more time for other things? Did it start to feel normal?

For the new job, it's mostly performance based in a finance/sales role. If I perform in the average range I will double my salary year one. It has been made clear that up until I build up and learn the job, the average expected hours are around 55-60 per week. At least one Saturday per month. After the first year, the average hours worked are about 50.1. That's not counting top performers who are granted an even better schedule with options to work remotely. Essentially - if you're good at the job, the pressure is greatly reduced. There's a carrot, a light at the end of the tunnel. I think I'll enjoy the work. It's a good product, well reputed, and very well known. No cold calling. I know someone within the company thriving there for years, but his background is different.

kjvm
jayk238

Re: Longer Work Hours: Tips for adjusting?

Post by jayk238 »

You have to accept the hours and have a sit down w family to let it sink in over time. Expressing things like needing to pay off my loans and have a savings account was my sale to the dw.

My residency hours were 60 hrs on a good day and 70-90 otherwise. Most weeks i worked 80 hours.
In these past few months ive had a few rotations with 40 hours and i thought i was slacking off. Until my dad reminded me that 40 hrs is the norm.

Whats more important is that your hours are helping you thrive and build a better life. This means saving money aggresively if youre worried about job security so that you know your hours are being put to good use.
Buddtholomew

Post by Buddtholomew »

It sounds like the horse has left the barn and the decision has already been made. I had instant regrets the moment I realized 1/2 day Saturday’s were the norm and not the exception. Found something else that required me to work smarter not harder.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
sambb

Post by sambb »

I would work long hours and do well for the first few years to set yourself apart from others. Get to the office earlier, leave later, and check email in the evenings if you can. You will usually be rewarded financially.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

As a resident and fellow, 60-80hours a week were the norm for me and now down to 60 hours a week as an attending (although does vary). I hate reiterating a common phrase, but at some point time is your most valuable asset. I've started outsourcing various parts of my life so I can spend more time doing things I want to do, or absolutely just do nothing. (Ex: mailing back items to return instead of driving 30minutes there and back, getting a housekeeper, etc....). As you get into this new role, figure out what you can outsource (and that doesn't mean dump it onto your significant other).

Congratulations on the new position,

Blue Man
runner540

Post by runner540 »

I've pretty much never worked less than 50 hours per week. 50 hours per week is pretty normal now for lots of workers, and plenty of people do it and still have a life. I recommend tracking your hours and what you do with them - you'll find patterns.

All the normal productivity/time management advice is more important/relevant now for you: take care of yourself so your working hours are as productive as possible. Figure out a to-do list management system that works for you. My guess is that you will have many people asking you to do things, not just one boss who will prioritize your tasks for you. Plus, there will be things that need to be done but only benefit you, so they fall to the bottom of the list. Figure out if your lunch hour can become a productive one, either for a break or getting work done while the office is quieter. Don't waste time getting in your car to go to lunch, unless it's for teambuilding/networking. Good luck!

For me, laundry, meal planning and running errands/shopping are key to get done on weekends, so I am set for the week ahead.
Here's another time management example: If I work out at a gym near my office after work, that lets me miss the worst of the traffic. If I leave at 6pm, I would be home at 7 after an hour in traffic. Instead, I can work out for half an hour, then leave the area at 6:30, and still be home at 7. Same time away from home, but big difference in quality of life.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I’d rather work less and make less money. It won’t be fun leaving for work before your kids wake up and getting home about the time they go to bed...and missing activities on the weekend.

Since you already made the decision, my tip is to eat healthy and drink lots of water. You want plenty of energy for the kiddos when you get to enjoy them.
joeblow

Post by joeblow »

As the meme goes...40 hours a week? I remember my first part-time job.

I do not know anyone who makes good money that doesn't work 50-60+ hours a week (que posts to prove that wrong). One weekend day a month would sound great to those that work both days, every weekend. Go in and put your head down, become a top performer and enjoy working remotely and double the salary. Sounds like you need to work at most 50% more but are going to get paid 100% more for that work. Well done!
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

joeblow wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pmI do not know anyone who makes good money that doesn't work 50-60+ hours a week
I'll bite, LOL. How much is good money?
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

kjvmartin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm For the new job, it's mostly performance based in a finance/sales role. If I perform in the average range I will double my salary year one. It has been made clear that up until I build up and learn the job, the average expected hours are around 55-60 per week. At least one Saturday per month.
This sounds like the start of a Grisham novel. Work 1000 hours a week, including weekends and you'll make partner in 3 years! :D

I've never had to work 60 hours a week on a consistent basis, but yeah, 50 hours pretty consistent. PLUS a strange work schedule which interrupted my normal sleep cycle. I made decent money, but felt unsafe driving (inattentive to the road due to drowsiness) and was exhausted a lot of the time. I decided I'd do it for two years, max. Any more than that and I'd probably be cutting my life span by a few years. But again, it was more the strange hours than the number of hours, though if it was 60 hours straight, I'd probably feel the same exhaustion.

You'll probably be tempted to drink a lot of coffee. Don't. That just makes things worse. Also, avoid eating meals out of vending machines.

As a side note, I've been researching drum grooves on YouTube and came across sort of a child drum prodigy -- a Malaysian girl -- 14 in some vids, 12 in others... Here she is demonstrating a possible solution to all work-related stress. She's pounding so hard, sticks rising so high, she's practically flying off her drum kit. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilI2Pqaso_Q.

Here's another showing the absolute joy she has in playing the drums. It's probably better than meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCmNWke-wg

If the Government gave every citizen a sound-proof room for playing drums, I'm sure the nation's collective stress level would go down 50%. We would become more producitve and could work longer hours.
madmartigan

Post by madmartigan »

kjvmartin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm Has anyone ever gone from a relaxed schedule to a more demanding one? How was the experience long term? Any regrets? Tips for adjusting? Effects on family life? Did you find yourself 5-10 years in with a flush bank account wondering how to find more time for other things? Did it start to feel normal?

kjvm
I worked for years as an individual contributor in an engineering role working 40-45 hours/week. In the last year I was probably working closer to 35/week to be candid, as I had optimized a lot of the work I needed to do. Work life balance was great but I was bored, seeking more. I took a job at a startup, earning 60% of what I was making after COLA adjustments and working 60+ hour work weeks. I did this for about a year before we were bought out by a mega corp. I then went down to ~55/week pretty consistently for the next few years, as I had aspirations I was pursuing. It worked out well for me, but it does take a toll. I had candid conversations with my wife about the pace of work. It does feel 'normal' to be working that many hours a week, and we've struck a good balance of professional and personal expectations. I manage personal to-do lists perhaps a bit more and harder than I'd like, it takes a conscious effort to slow down and have fun, but you can 'fake it till you make it'. I think that would work in your case as well.

Tips:
- Discuss with your SO the change. Make sure they're on board and status often. My wife was willing to endure my absense and waiving of family obligations for years, but if I hadn't seriously started to listen and make adjustments, we would have been on a path to divorce. Iterate often and find what works best for all. For myself, if my wife makes it clear there's something I need to prioritize, I do it; period.
- Determine what you really want. More money? If so, consider your hourly rate. It might not be worthwhile to see that 40% increase if you're also working 40% more hours? Career, ambition, opportunity? Perhaps so.
- Ruthlessly priority. Easy to say, difficult to to. Personally, I have a Monday 'to-do' list that I go through habitually. It takes me 1-2 hours, but I believe it saves me 10x that.
- Drink less, eat healthier, sleep, exercise. It's good advice for anyone, but if you're working more you need to build up your stamina, especially as you're aging.
- Understand your boundaries. For myself, I'm always plugged in if I'm on a computer. I'm available anytime I open up a laptop, so I'm easy to reach on weekends, holidays, etc. I'm 'always' around but hopefully seldom needed. That said, I don't keep any work communication on my phone; someone needs to pick up a phone and call me if the laptop is closed. This provides the perception and high availability my work demands, but allows me to easily control information flow. It's important for some industries, not as much for others.