FlipPhone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
raamakoti

FlipPhone

Post by raamakoti » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Does anyone has filpPhone in this group. I am getting sick and tired of expensive iPhones.
I wanted to know how much is the monthly plan. Currently I have with local carrier named H2O Wireless and pay $36 per month.
Their cheapest plan is $25. Its $11 savings per month but I wanted to check if I can save more.

Thanks for your help

pennstater2005

Re: FlipPhone

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:08 pm

How about TracFone minutes? I personally would just go back to a bag phone and call it a day.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:09 pm

raamakoti wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm
Does anyone has filpPhone in this group. I am getting sick and tired of expensive iPhones.
I wanted to know how much is the monthly plan. Currently I have with local carrier named H2O Wireless and pay $36 per month.
Their cheapest plan is $25. Its $11 savings per month but I wanted to check if I can save more.

Thanks for your help
You do know that there's a mid-point between an expensive iPhone and a flipPhone. Also, you seem to be talking 2 different expenses, the cost of the phone vs the cost of service. If you happen to have Comcast internet you can get phone service for $3/mo. That's without data, which you obviously don't use if you are considering a flipPhone.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I have a flip phone I bought from Consumer Cellular for $50. Now they have one for $30. You can also bring your own.

Their cheapest plan is $15 a month plus fees no contract. Discount if you belong to AARP.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Billavoider

Post by Billavoider » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 pm

I have a flip phone. Pay $100 a year as I don't use my cellphone except primarily for emergencies. I have never used all the minutes I purchase through Verizon.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

As long as 3G services are still around, you should be able to get phone service for about 5-10 cents per minute/text. Data doesn't make sense with these phones/plans.

Was using this with various flip phones 10 years ago, and they still work. Buy a used phone off eBay (e.g. Moto KRZR or RAZR).
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/10-standard-pin/

You can also use an iPhone 4/4s or 3G android phone, but avoid data ($50/gb!). Google maps used to work in a pinch. I've still got a couple of lines for occasional use/guests/emergencies that stay alive for $30-40/year. Or get the $80 card for 1 year usage or 2000 minutes (whichever comes first). You keep your remaining minute value if you add more time.

There are other similar old services around, but this one has been popular and hopefully will be around as long as 3G is working. Warning, it's a bargain low end service so customer service not so good; best for those that can self-serve and find solutions themselves on the web.
pennstater2005 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:08 pm
How about TracFone minutes? I personally would just go back to a bag phone and call it a day.
That's an option too. If you can keep finding deals like this, it's often cheaper to get a new phone every year, but you have to go through the trouble of transferring your number. Or use Google Voice and forward to the new number each time.
https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-55-16gb ... te/8589632

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

For limited users, the cheapest pay as you go is Tello (1 cent per text, 2 cents per MB, 3 cents per minute) and cheapest prepaid plans are probably RedPocket (as low as $60 per year).

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/0 ... plans.html

I had a flip phone that I had kept active on Boost for $5 per quarter. But when it was dying went to FreedomPop, bought used smartphone from them for $30 and have paid $0 per month for past 6 months. They are not for everyone (not for most, actually), though.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
For limited users, the cheapest pay as you go is Tello (1 cent per text, 2 cents per MB, 3 cents per minute) and cheapest prepaid plans are probably RedPocket (as low as $60 per year).
Don't know if this is most up to date, but Tello requires usage every 3 months. Not important if you use regularly, but if it's sitting in your glove compartment, value can expire at worst opportune time. If you just send a text every 3 months, looks like you could potentially keep this card alive for years.

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/0 ... o-now.html

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 pm

You can get a tracfone phone and one year plan for about $50 from hsn.com.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm

I have the next best thing. A Blu R1 HD that I got for only $59 on Amazon Prime special. You can have a smartphone without spending $1K+ on a new iPhone.

birdy

Post by birdy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 am

I am one of those flip phone users. Spouse has fancy one but I have never felt the need to carry a computer with me at all times. I also never seem to use all my minutes. When traveling, it has been easy to use a computer at a hotel to check my home email. I don't text. I have never seen the point in texting and having my conversation misunderstood. I call.

birdy

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 am

birdy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 am
I am one of those flip phone users. Spouse has fancy one but I have never felt the need to carry a computer with me at all times. I also never seem to use all my minutes. When traveling, it has been easy to use a computer at a hotel to check my home email. I don't text. I have never seen the point in texting and having my conversation misunderstood. I call.

birdy
I have a flip phone so no texting either. My wife hates any portable phone....so only a land phone for her.
I did have a "smart" phone for a few months and didn't like it so I went back to a flip.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 am

Regarding the OP's question: the best deal depends on your pattern of usage. As others have said, there are plenty of cheap smart phones out there that work fine.

If you really want a flip phone, see if you can find someone with an old Tracfone flip phone with triple minutes for life (ask around). That could end up being a decent deal, if you talk at least 100 minutes/month (I don't think you can buy them any more). It's not a cheap as some of the other options people have suggested, but some of those require minimal usage. With Tracfone + a triple minutes for life tracfone, you can get 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and some amount of data (5 GB?) for a year for around $100 + tax. Tracfone is trying to move people to monthly plans, which aren't as good of a deal if you don't text a lot, use little data, and average less than 200 - 250 minutes per month talking.
=====
This thread is timely. My dad (80s) needs a new phone - his flip phone battery is getting old & he's paying too much per month with Virgin. The lowest priced plan I see at Virgin is their $20/month plan - it's a speakeasy.

I've been thinking about getting him a bar phone, but am somewhat worried that will be harder for him to use. I'm wondering if a flip phone, being tactile, is better. He might like the better camera, though, and more memory. Won't use the internet (although kids/ grandkids might show him things on the internet using his phone) or text.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether the flip phone is the better option for people in their 80s? My dad's sharp & still lives on his own (good longevity genes + kids close by), just not into high tech. I'm thinking that if someone gets hurt & they're just semi-aware, that the flip phone may be easier. Do all smart phones now have an 'emergency call' button the the screen you use to unlock the phone (so it wouldn't even have to be unlocked)? If yes, that might be even better than the flip phone.

Some other choices:
  • Buy a new flip phone (pricey for what you get).
  • Figure out if we can buy a new battery for the old flip phone, and whether we can unlock the phone and move to another company - preferably tracfone. I use tracfone so am familiar with it (horrible customer service but they're all like that). Seems like a lot of work for little gain, though.

Has anyone ever unlocked a Virgin Mobile Speakeasy, and can they be transferred to other companies? Is unlocking an issue with flip phones? Does the CDMA/GSM difference apply to flip phones as well?

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 am

mariezzz wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 am
Does anyone have an opinion about whether the flip phone is the better option for people in their 80s? My dad's sharp & still lives on his own (good longevity genes + kids close by), just not into high tech. I'm thinking that if someone gets hurt & they're just semi-aware, that the flip phone may be easier. Do all smart phones now have an 'emergency call' button the the screen you use to unlock the phone (so it wouldn't even have to be unlocked)? If yes, that might be even better than the flip phone.
I disabled the emergency call button on my Doro flip phone because it is too easy to press it accidentally. If I were worried about not being able to push 911 even with the big buttons, I would fork out for an Ally or some other "lifeline type" alert one button thing.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am

I have a flip phone, or rather I have one that my oldest daughter uses for now. It cost around $100 to purchase outright and then $10 a month for unlimited calling. I don't know if that was the only phone on our plan if they would charge more or not. We use Verizon.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 am

Blu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLU-Zoey-Flex- ... Sw8UZaKsXw

Pair it with 1 year of MintSIM or 1 year of RedPocket (pick your GSM carrier).

A Moto E or Moto G for around $100 might be a better in between solution.

Going from a iPhone to a flip phone might be too much of a step back.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 am

Our main phone is a land line, but have an AT&T flip phone as backup. I don't know what the phone itself cost as it was a Christmas gift from granddaughter. She was afraid the car might break down somewhere in Bubba land on one of our trips between MI and TX and wanted for us to have a way to call for help. Subscribe to the AT&T Pay As You Go daily plan. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utiliti ... aid-plans/
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm

We still use Motorola W315 flip phones with PagePlus Cellular and are quite pleased with the pay as you go plans, and the underlying Verizon network.