Recommend an A.C. powered auto tire inflator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AAA

Recommend an A.C. powered auto tire inflator

Post by AAA » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 pm

It appears that my current rechargeable, portable inflator no longer works. I'd like to replace it with a 110v inflator as I'm always doing this in my garage or driveway (dual a.c./d.c. would be a bonus). Can someone recommend a reliable one with an accurate gauge? Typical analog gauges go up to high p.s.i and don't seem to be very accurate at the pressures commonly used for auto tires. As a result I've had to keep disconnecting the pump and checking with my tire gauge. There are some available now with digital gauges that allow you to preset the pressure. That would be optimal, if they really work. Whenever I seem to find one that looks promising, the Amazon reviews are not very encouraging. Thank you.

munemaker

Re: Recommend an A.C. powered auto tire inflator

Post by munemaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:34 pm

AAA wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 pm
It appears that my current rechargeable, portable inflator no longer works. I'd like to replace it with a 110v inflator as I'm always doing this in my garage or driveway (dual a.c./d.c. would be a bonus). Can someone recommend a reliable one with an accurate gauge? Typical analog gauges go up to high p.s.i and don't seem to be very accurate at the pressures commonly used for auto tires. As a result I've had to keep disconnecting the pump and checking with my tire gauge. There are some available now with digital gauges that allow you to preset the pressure. That would be optimal, if they really work. Whenever I seem to find one that looks promising, the Amazon reviews are not very encouraging. Thank you.
I recently bought a small compressor at Harbor Freight. You can pre-set the pressure but the gage is not digital. They offer two styles...on one the tank is hot dog shaped and the other one is circular. I don't remember what I paid for it, but when you are buying at Harbor Freight, it is good to look for coupons which are plentiful. Also, when you buy one of these small compressors from HF, you need to buy a hose and nozzle to go with it.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Get a low pressure foot pump. The hassle in pressing the pedal is less than the hassle in handling a cord, they last forever, and the analog gauge is calibrated for the range of pressures needed.

The total energy in an inflated car tire is less than 1 Calorie, you won't even work up a sweat.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 pm

It does not have A/C, but I have been happy with a Slime pump. It is pretty fast even though only running on the car battery and does have what seems to be an accurate digital gauge with a pressure preset, so it shuts itself off. Don't know if they make an A/C model.

This is the one I have:
https://shop.slime.com/collections/tire ... 7563050120
Last edited by jeffyscott on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Another option is to get a dc compressor, then buy an ac to dc adaptor that will hook up to it. Be sure to get a powerful one, as I bought one that would not power my compressor and had to return it for a different one.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I use an air compressor bought from Harbor Freight. It's similar to this one but I don't recall if the brand is the same. You can generally buy them at a discount.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools ... 62763.html

It's useful for a variety of purposes and also strong enough to run pneumatic tools such as nailers.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 pm
It does not have A/C, but I have been happy with a Slime pump. It is pretty fast even though only running on the car battery and does have what seems to be an accurate digital gauge with a pressure preset, so it shuts itself off. Don't know if they make an A/C model.
Do you have to run the car engine when using this? I'd prefer to avoid that. I also didn't want the ones that you hook up directly to the car battery. Hence my search for an a.c. unit.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Get a low pressure foot pump. The hassle in pressing the pedal is less than the hassle in handling a cord, they last forever, and the analog gauge is calibrated for the range of pressures needed.
Not exactly what I was looking for. :o

I actually had one of these years ago but don't remember much (except that I eventually replaced it with a portable d.c. unit). Approximately how many steps on the pump do you need per 1 p.s.i. pressure increase?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 pm
I use an air compressor bought from Harbor Freight. It's similar to this one but I don't recall if the brand is the same. You can generally buy them at a discount.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools ... 62763.html

It's useful for a variety of purposes and also strong enough to run pneumatic tools such as nailers.
I bought a cheap, under $50, pancake compressor like this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13- ... 61615.html

Came with some pneumatic tools, but so far, all I've used it is to inflate tires. I turn it on 5-10 minutes before use, and I can top off my tires in no time. Haven't tried filling an entire empty tire. Did fix a tire once, and didn't notice any long delay. With those tankless compressors, sometimes it takes 5 minutes or longer per tire, and that's just to add air.

As far as the gauge, I don't trust the gauges on the pumps, so I use a manual or power gauge separately. Actually a couple to calibrate and error check.

jmk

Post by jmk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Harbor Freight has a variety of cheap ones of different sizes. I don't use it that often so quality wasn't key. I was so cheap I bought a smaller one that I have to "refill" for each tire.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Porter Cable
6 Gal. 150 PSI Portable Electric Pancake Air Compressor
$99
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Reroof house roof shingles, Roofers use this all day.
Air Tires (get the attachment with the air gauge like at the service station)
Use an Impact air wrench to take off tire lug bolts, save your back.
If you ever have to take a tire off to check brakes, etc. Use this:
Porter cable air staplers, smaller nail guns, brad nailers.
Air tools.
Air tool for blowing out dirt/dust from engine compartment, computer innards (carefully), etc, etc.
Be sure to open drain valve and drain condensate water after using so tank doesn't rust.
Good air hose.

j :D

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:27 pm

AAA wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm
Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Not exactly what I was looking for. :o

I actually had one of these years ago but don't remember much (except that I eventually replaced it with a portable d.c. unit). Approximately how many steps on the pump do you need per 1 p.s.i. pressure increase?
Three or four pumps per psi on a Prius. It will take a few more for larger tires.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm

When I ditched my run-flats, I got a Viair 70P that I keep in the trunk. It's DC but it's small, very quiet, and has a very accurate gauge. Best of all (for me), there is a brass chuck that threads onto the tire valve-stem so it's always a tight seal. And when you disconnect, you just lose a little puff of air. I use it to pump up all of our tires -- although the engine has to be running. But compared to the ear-splitting Craftsman AC pump that we used to have, it's a joy.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:00 pm

I looked at several models and decided on one that connects to the car cigarette lighter outlet (car battery).
It took less than two minutes to inflate and the tire pressure was within 1 lbs of my regular tire pressure gauge.
Just bought it two weeks ago.

Like the unit above it threads onto the tire.

https://www.amazon.com/JACO-SmartPro-Di ... r+inflator

Good reviews at Amazon and fakespot.com said the reviews were "real".

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm
When I ditched my run-flats, I got a Viair 70P that I keep in the trunk. It's DC but it's small, very quiet, and has a very accurate gauge. Best of all (for me), there is a brass chuck that threads onto the tire valve-stem so it's always a tight seal. And when you disconnect, you just lose a little puff of air. I use it to pump up all of our tires -- although the engine has to be running. But compared to the ear-splitting Craftsman AC pump that we used to have, it's a joy.
The Vairs are outstanding. We've gone through a bunch of DC air compressors on all our cars and so forth that the Vair has held up.
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P- ... 908&sr=8-1

afatcat

Post by afatcat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am

I recently got a Bonaire 120B AC inflator from Walmart for under $25. It's been great so far. Quiet and much faster than my old 12v pump. The instructions say to let it cool down after 3 mins of operation, but that's not much of an issue if just topping up tires, which it does quickly.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am

Agree with the recommendations to get a small compressor and a well made separate gauge... An inexpensive pancake style compressor will not be much more money than a "good" infiltrator and will last far longer. It will also fill your tire in seconds rather than minutes.

Whoever suggested using a bicycle pump... really? Have you actually tried it? I did once just to see and it could literally take an hour of pumping to fill up one of my SUV tires.....

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am

jharkin wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am
Whoever suggested using a bicycle pump... really? Have you actually tried it? I did once just to see and it could literally take an hour of pumping to fill up one of my SUV tires.....
I suggested a foot pump designed to inflate car tires. For topping up perhaps five PSI it is significantly faster than the couple of minutes people are suggesting for various compressors.

Bike pumps are usually designed for low volumes at higher pressure, even so with my good floor pump it's about 10 strokes per PSI so I can add 5PSI in under a minute.

Many tire inflaters run from a cigarette lighter. This means they are less than about 100W. This is in the range of one human power, so a well designed manual pump will be just as fast, or a bit slower if you're in bad shape.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am

I fall in the camp of getting a good pancake compressor for your garage. It takes me less than 30 seconds to air up a tire plus it has the advantage of being able to run a wide variety of pneumatic actuated tools and is light enough to move around the house for those DIY projects.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 am

I had a portable jump starter with air compressor built in. Worked well with the 3 cars we had and it did have a digital display with a maximum setting. The compressor is loud and not very powerful but does its job. Even when changing to snow tires on all 3 cars the battery was big enough to do all 12 tires.

Also the jump starter was not bad to have since you didn't need to pull another car next to yours (can be hard in a garage) when your battery was flat.

I never took it along and always had it in the garage connected to a 110 V outlet so the battery would always be full and ready to go.

Bought it at Costco a long time ago so not sure they still have it. It is nowhere close to a good real compressor with tank but on the other hand it depends what you are trying to do. If you don't plan to run any air tools you won't need a compressor with a tank.

You can google for jump starter with air compressor, there is a ton of different models and price classes. If Costco still have it you can get it and return it if you don't like it.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:05 am

AAA wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 pm
jeffyscott wrote:
Do you have to run the car engine when using this? I'd prefer to avoid that. I also didn't want the ones that you hook up directly to the car battery. Hence my search for an a.c. unit.
No, it plugs in to the accessory outlet (formerly known as cigarette lighter). In one of our cars I have to turn the key part way to get power to the outlet, in the other the outlet is powered all the time so don't have to do anything.

When I needed to replace a very old and slow pump that also runs off the car battery, I too started out with the idea of buying an A/C one. Like you, I always used it in the garage anyway. But I think the A/C ones I saw were either more than I was willing to spend and/or overkill. I did not want or need a big compressor that is designed to power pneumatic tools just to top off car tires. I must have missed the one that someone found at Walmart for $25.

So when it was available for $23 from Autozone, I settled for the one I got. Even though I might prefer A/C, the DC one at least gives me the bonus of always having the pump in case of a slow leak or something when away from home. I do like the auto shut off, so that I don't have to watch it to see where the pressure is.
Last edited by jeffyscott on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 am

This Kobalt has been done the job for us.
I carry it in the Rv and use it to inflate tires if needed.
Also use it with bikes,car,etc.
Lowes had the best price last time I checked.

Model # KL12DD

:happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TrustButVerifying

Post by TrustButVerifying » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:48 am

I have been very happy with the Kobalt Dual Power Inflator that I purchased from Lowes a number of years ago. I bought it because of the digital read out and because you can set the pressure and it will stop pumping when it reaches that pressure. It can be plugged into a house outlet or into your car's outlet.

It looks like my model has been replaced with a newer version, Model # KLDP1, $49. This new version seems to have better cord management and has a light.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt ... 1000092575

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Will be following this post , also looking for a pump , good responses especially SandTrap and Toons , like the Porter Cable ( I assume it's AC ) and would get a ball chuck attachment , if available, to fit on the valve - I have a Sears hand held pump with a rechargeable battery that works OK but the thumb lock pops off too easily and it doesn't have a gauge & so I have to keep checking the pressure with my hand held gauge , it's also time consuming .

Forget the floor pump idea and I haven't heard good things about Harbor Freight except for their low prices which isn't always the best reason to buy - OP if you find an inflator that you like , report back , thanks IA and good luck !!!
Last edited by ubermax on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:52 pm

After having tried many cheap 12V tire inflators, I finally purchased an AC powered one and I like it. I no longer worry about blowing up car power socket fuse with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CMHUA4

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:56 pm

jharkin wrote:
Agree with the recommendations to get a small compressor and a well made separate gauge... An inexpensive pancake style compressor will not be much more money than a "good" infiltrator and will last far longer. It will also fill your tire in seconds rather than minutes.

Yes, I have tried it and it works! For a Honda Pilot, it takes about 5-7 pumps for every psi. The pump is the "Avenir Air Source One". I wish I had thought of this decades ago. I previously used a Black & Decker Air Station that I purchased in the 1980s. It is loud and with the added hassle of using an extension cord.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm

jeffyscott wrote:

This is the one I have:
https://shop.slime.com/collections/tire ... 7563050120
For what it's worth, I picked up the cheaper version of the Slime, with the analog dial, on Saturday, because my foot pump had disappeared and that's what the store had. It was loud but did a perfectly adequate job of taking two tires from below 20 psi to 32 in reasonably short order, with no noticeable drain on the car battery.

I have to wonder about the brand name, though. Maybe Muck was taken?

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm
The Vairs are outstanding. We've gone through a bunch of DC air compressors on all our cars and so forth that the Vair has held up.
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P- ... 908&sr=8-1
Another vote for Viair. We have a diesel pickup truck and trailer, which are both pretty heavy and require 60 pound PSI. The Viair's been solid for over 10 years, and I can use it in places where AC power is non-existent or inconvenient. I don't bother starting the engine if I I'm just topping off a tire or two.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm

If anyone is still following this thread, I finally settled on the Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance Portable Air Compressor.
https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Performan ... op?ie=UTF8

A bit pricier than I planned, but it runs on 110 volt a.c. which I wanted and has the option to use the car's 12 volt d.c. outlet, which might prove useful in a jam. Also it has the p.s.i. preset and auto-shutoff that I wanted, after years of using my older pump that required pump-check pressure-pump again-check pressure-let out some air if needed-check pressure. Reviews indicate that it is fairly accurate.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 pm

TrustButVerifying wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:48 am
I have been very happy with the Kobalt Dual Power Inflator that I purchased from Lowes a number of years ago. I bought it because of the digital read out and because you can set the pressure and it will stop pumping when it reaches that pressure. It can be plugged into a house outlet or into your car's outlet.

It looks like my model has been replaced with a newer version, Model # KLDP1, $49. This new version seems to have better cord management and has a light.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt ... 1000092575
I bought this one for my wife as a Christmas present. I can tell she really liked it as it's still under the kitchen table. :->

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 pm

My Chevrolet Volt came with a DC-powered tire inflator . Plugs into the car's 12V outlet. Saved me recently when I hit a nail that resulted in a slow leak - tire losing 10psi per hour. I was able to refill it and drive to my next destination, then top it up again finally to go to a tire shop.
If I didn't have the pump in my car, I would have had to call for a tow - the car does not come with a spare tire, not would I know what to do with it if it did. Don't underestimate the possibility that you might want to use the tire inflator in a place other than your garage.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 pm

madbrain wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 pm
... tire losing 10psi per hour. I was able to refill it and drive to my next destination, then top it up again...
True BH would do this forever :D
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 pm
madbrain wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 pm
... tire losing 10psi per hour. I was able to refill it and drive to my next destination, then top it up again...
True BH would do this forever :D
And a Mustachian would repair the tire using recycled chewing gum, and save the nail to fix the back fence...

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 pm

I have one of these in each of our cars. They work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heav ... +tire+pump

The dial is analog, but it is consistent, so if it says 38 on the first tire when my tire gauge says 36 I just pump the other three tires to 38 also. I recheck the reading on the first tire each time I use it.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 pm
Porter Cable
$99

Air tools.
Air tool for blowing out dirt/dust from engine compartment, computer innards (carefully), etc, etc.
Be sure to open drain valve and drain condensate water after using so tank doesn't rust.
Good air hose.

+1 for a real compressor for the wide range of things it can do for you. Among other things I have a pneumatic caulking gun, which is a joy. I wouldn't use it on a computer though. Too sensitive to contamination and static electricity.

One of the things I use mine for is inflating my tractor tires. Since those are pretty low pressure I added a low pressure regulator to my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BPQDG62/

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Ged wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:53 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 pm
Porter Cable
$99

Air tools.
Good air hose.

+1 for a real compressor for the wide range of things it can do for you. Among other things I have a pneumatic caulking gun, which is a joy. I wouldn't use it on a computer though. Too sensitive to contamination and static electricity.

One of the things I use mine for is inflating my tractor tires. Since those are pretty low pressure I added a low pressure regulator to my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BPQDG62/
Also have a tractor. Yes. low pressure and lot's of air on the rear tires.
The air tank already has 2 gauges, tank pressure and outlet pressure. Why do you need this gizmo?

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 pm

We have two of these. One at home and one at our lake cabin. Both have worked for many years without problems. They are not fast but they get the job done.

Campbell Hausfeld Home Inflation System (RP410099AV)
HOME INFLATION SYSTEM (RP410099AV) The Campbell Hausfeld 120-volt inflator (RP410099AV) delivers up to 150 psi and can be used for inflating car and bike tires, soccer balls, beach balls and other sporting equipment.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 pm

AAA wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 pm
jeffyscott wrote:
I have a Slime Pump as well, and am happy with it. The gauge is pretty accurate. It reads about 2 pounds more than my gauge, so I take that into consideration. I think I paid $20 5 or 6 years ago, and it has worked fine.

Whether or not you have to run the car depends solely on the car you have. My Audi powered the cigarette jacks without needing to run the car. My current car, the Hyundai Genesis, requires the car be turned on for the jacks to be powered.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 pm

The air tank already has 2 gauges, tank pressure and outlet pressure. Why do you need this gizmo?

Well the max pressure marked on the front (or is it rear?) tires on my tractor is 10 psi. That's half the minimum reading of 20 psi on the outlet gauge of the regulator that came with the compressor, and much lower than the pressure I use for car tires. So I tee'd off the outlet and added the low pressure regulator for filling the tractor tires. So no possibility of over pressure. :beer

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 pm
Whether or not you have to run the car depends solely on the car you have. My Audi powered the cigarette jacks without needing to run the car. My current car, the Hyundai Genesis, requires the car be turned on for the jacks to be powered.
Are you sure you have to actually run the car? Doesn't the jack get power when you turn the key part way to "Acc" or "On" position, without actually starting it?

Our VW is the same as your Audi, with the jacks powered. For our Mazda key has to be turned, but car does not need to be started.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:27 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am
jharkin wrote:
I suggested a foot pump designed to inflate car tires. For topping up perhaps five PSI it is significantly faster than the couple of minutes people are suggesting for various compressors.

Bike pumps are usually designed for low volumes at higher pressure, even so with my good floor pump it's about 10 strokes per PSI so I can add 5PSI in under a minute.

Many tire inflaters run from a cigarette lighter. This means they are less than about 100W. This is in the range of one human power, so a well designed manual pump will be just as fast, or a bit slower if you're in bad shape.
Hmmm.. Didn't know they made foot pumps for car tires... so no comment.

I will say if an actual A/C air compressor with a tank (not one of htese cigarette lighter inflators) takes 2 minutes to top off a tire something is really wrong.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 am
Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 pm
Are you sure you have to actually run the car? Doesn't the jack get power when you turn the key part way to "Acc" or "On" position, without actually starting it?

Our VW is the same as your Audi, with the jacks powered. For our Mazda key has to be turned, but car does not need to be started.
That's a good question. Our newer car is keyless. I'm not sure how you get to Acc or On. :confused

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm

That's a good question. Our newer car is keyless. I'm not sure how you get to Acc or On. :confused
In a Toyota you press the start button once or twice (two levels of accessory) without stepping on the brake. If that doesn't work RTFM.