Kayak Germany flights more than 60% than airline site??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ready20

Kayak Germany flights more than 60% than airline site??

Post by ready20 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Booking travel from Midwest to Germany and Kayak shows round trip flights at $840 with Lufthansa. The Lufthansa site has them at almost $1800. I’ve never used Kayak, so looking for guidance and help as this seems very odd.

tooluser

Re: Kayak Germany flights more than 60% than airline site??

Post by tooluser » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:34 pm

I just booked a business class ticket today, but not on Kayak. I also saw the much lower prices (approx. 60% lower) and sniffed around enough to convince myself I didn't want the risk of buying through a fourth party (Kayak). If you go partially through the booking process, at the bottom of one of the screens it says who they are using to book the ticket (the third party, with you and the airline being first and second). In my case the third party was some online site I'd never heard of. I opted to book directly with the carrier and take the price hit. In my case that third party was very dodgy about exactly what you were purchasing - no exact flight times, needs some sort of delayed internal approval after you submit your "request", price subject to change, etc. I also read about sites that buy someone else's frequent flyer miles and then sell you the ticket that they are not allowed to buy per the airline's rules. Maybe it would have worked, maybe not. Too much risk for me.
Easy come. Easy go. But the rate of change for each seems quite different.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Most airlines and hotels have price match guarantees. Unfortunately, they require you to purchase first, then submit a claim. I would take a screenshot of the offer on Kayak and send it in to see if it would qualify. Get an answer in writing before you book!

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Best-Fare_Guarantee
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm

I have never had a problem booking from the sites suggested by Kayak or Google. There is a consistent price difference of that magnitude - especially with Lufthansa and several other European airlines (Swiss etc.) - economy or business class. I booked a business class multi-city trip with Qatar airways that was over $1200 more at the qatar site. It was over $400 on orbitz/expedia. I booked it through Vayama based on Kayak recommendation.

Use a good credit card to book so they can stand behind. Once you get a ticket, you will get a airline's PNR (booking number). Just log into the airline website where with PNR and your last name you will see the booking and book the seats. And you have 24 hours to cancel anyway - which I have done when I found a cheaper ticket somewhere else. No issues.

People will stop trusting Kayak and Google if they promote fraudulent sites. They have much more to loose in general.

EDIT: Check the wow airline. I am flying to Frankfurt for $400 oneway on their business class (which is equivalent to the premier economy class. It is a budget airline and my first time flying so I will find out how good it is. Also check out Norwegian airline. Another budget airline pushing hard in the international market.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm

nanoanalyzer wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm
Most airlines and hotels have price match guarantees. Unfortunately, they require you to purchase first, then submit a claim. I would take a screenshot of the offer on Kayak and send it in to see if it would qualify. Get an answer in writing before you book!

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Best-Fare_Guarantee
"All claims must be submitted within an hour of the ticket purchase made via lh.com." :shock:
Useless for anyone who doesn't already know they want to exercise the "guarantee".
The airline travel industry is in my book at number 2 behind only the auto sales industry, in terms of misleading people.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 am

I have used Kayak in the past with good success. Each time it was through a website that was well known enough to make me feel at ease. Non-stop flights I haven't really seen much difference, but multi-hops sometimes Kayak can make a big difference because of how they look at connecting flights and such.

Weird scenario though that this very week I was looking at flights to Bangkok. Kayak was giving me the best deal for a while over the week or two I was looking, going from NC to JFK to China to Bangkok using JetBlue and China Southern. I was about to hit by when the travel group warned me that our final even ends at 7:30 pm and my flight out would have been at 9 pm. On a whim I looked at some of the airlines and sites Kayak was recommending and even though it was $300 more on Kayak to fly NC to JFK to Doha to Bangkok, on Qatar Airway's own site it was only $50 more than the China Southern flight (though AA to JFK instead of JetBlue), the hours worked better, and return arrival would be on Saturday night vs. Sunday morning which meant sleeping in my own bed vs. getting a hotel room for one more day just to fly out (or have a 12 hour layover in China).

So I would recommend you check out Kayak and Skyscanner as well as Orbitz and your favorite airlines. When you narrow down the options, check out the individual airline websites too and they may surprise you.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 am

I have used kayak for flights. No problems. Kayak is actually just an aggregator of deals from travel brokers. So what matters is the actual broker (Expedia, justfly, etc). The main difference I see is that sometimes, you can’t get the same flight times or options as you can directly from the airline.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 am

Theseus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm
I have never had a problem booking from the sites suggested by Kayak or Google. There is a consistent price difference of that magnitude - especially with Lufthansa and several other European airlines (Swiss etc.) - economy or business class. I booked a business class multi-city trip with Qatar airways that was over $1200 more at the qatar site. It was over $400 on orbitz/expedia. I booked it through Vayama based on Kayak recommendation.

Use a good credit card to book so they can stand behind. Once you get a ticket, you will get a airline's PNR (booking number). Just log into the airline website where with PNR and your last name you will see the booking and book the seats. And you have 24 hours to cancel anyway - which I have done when I found a cheaper ticket somewhere else. No issues.

People will stop trusting Kayak and Google if they promote fraudulent sites. They have much more to loose in general.

EDIT: Check the wow airline. I am flying to Frankfurt for $400 oneway on their business class (which is equivalent to the premier economy class. It is a budget airline and my first time flying so I will find out how good it is. Also check out Norwegian airline. Another budget airline pushing hard in the international market.
We've used WOW and Easy Jet a few times. On WOW, I suggest bringing your own refreshments on board. Every time my husband flies from the US to Europe or vice versa (with the kids, of course), WOW runs out of onboard snacks, or doesn't have meals, just Pringles and gummy bears. They are always starving and grouchy when they land.

I usually start my flight search on Google, but buy the tickets on the airline site - you get more options and it's easier to see the dates/times that have price differences. Often there are large price differences at different times of the same day. We just booked Amsterdam to Dublin and could have saved 50% of our airfare to Dublin going later in the day, or the evening prior. Balanced against the hotel rates, it wasn't worth it.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

ready20

Post by ready20 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 am

thanks for the info- other concern is the flight times that Kayak shows for Luthansa don't even show up on the Luthansa website as existing....

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 am

ready20 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 am
thanks for the info- other concern is the flight times that Kayak shows for Luthansa don't even show up on the Luthansa website as existing....
One thing to make sure is that you aren't having challenges with time zone or currency conversion.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am

Look at your Lufthansa flight carefully and see if it says "Operated by ...."
You might be getting a code that Lufthansa is selling but will really be on another air carrier.

If you like Lufthansa, sign up with their specials email. I do and last year about this time they sent me an offer for $460 rt to Paris from Denver. The flight was very nice, an upgrade from US carriers.

Just bought tix to Portgual, which are running about $1200, for $660 with a special from British Air but the flight is actually operated by AA, which means it will likely be miserable. That flight was $1200 on AA website a week ago, $950 today and $660 through BA. If you figure it all out, please let me know. :oops:
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

ready20

Post by ready20 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:05 pm

It’s states operated by Republic for United. Return says operated by Mesa for United.

Flight is $800 on Kayak and $2,100 on United.com

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Recently someone suggested (google.com/flights) to find the best fare and then (momondo.com) to fine tune it. I appears to be good advice so far.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 am
ready20 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 am
One thing to make sure is that you aren't having challenges with time zone or currency conversion.
Yes, that's odd - definitely not my experience.