Emergency evacuation with pre-existing condition

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sil2017

Emergency evacuation with pre-existing condition

Post by sil2017 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

Oh gosh, I am so stressed out over my upcoming Mt. Kilimanjaro trip in the next 10 days.

Not thinking, I was at the doctor for hemorrhoid condition last week. The reason is I wanted to get a referral in case I want it removed after my month trip to Africa. So I figured I see the doctor prior to the trip and schedule an appointment as soon as I get back instead of waiting. (done)

NO travel insurance even global rescue will cover pre-existing condition . Reason being my trip is within 2 weeks away.

Thanks to the advice from others here, I checked out Travel Guard insurance. CSR said if the medical evacuation or medical is tied to my pre-existing hemorrhoids , I won't be cover.

Should I have altitude sickness or hypothermia, would a travel insurance company blame my hemorrhoids as pre-existing condition?

Also, it seems like all or majority of mt. Kilimanjaro tour operator includes "air ambulance, emergency medical and air evacuation included with AMREF flying doctor"

So it seems like from the language quoted above, I should be cover for emergency evacuation which is the only coverage I would like to buy.

I have international travel insurance with kaiser CA which will cover my urgent and emergency care and I am not concern about the trip cancelation nor interruption insurance.

ResearchMed

Re: Emergency evacuation with pre-existing condition

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 am

sil2017 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am
Oh gosh, I am so stressed out over my upcoming Mt. Kilimanjaro trip in the next 10 days.

Not thinking, I was at the doctor for hemorrhoid condition last week. The reason is I wanted to get a referral in case I want it removed after my month trip to Africa. So I figured I see the doctor prior to the trip and schedule an appointment as soon as I get back instead of waiting. (done)

NO travel insurance even global rescue will cover pre-existing condition . Reason being my trip is within 2 weeks away.

Thanks to the advice from others here, I checked out Travel Guard insurance. CSR said if the medical evacuation or medical is tied to my pre-existing hemorrhoids , I won't be cover.

Should I have altitude sickness or hypothermia, would a travel insurance company blame my hemorrhoids as pre-existing condition?

Also, it seems like all or majority of mt. Kilimanjaro tour operator includes "air ambulance, emergency medical and air evacuation included with AMREF flying doctor"

So it seems like from the language quoted above, I should be cover for emergency evacuation which is the only coverage I would like to buy.

I have international travel insurance with kaiser CA which will cover my urgent and emergency care and I am not concern about the trip cancelation nor interruption insurance.
First thing... how is "pre-existing condition" being defined?

Did you JUST realize you had a <whatever medical problem>?
Was this *after* you already had travel insurance in place and paid for?

And... "are you currently able to travel", meaning, NO physician has told you that you should not be doing this sort of travel (and I don't mean "only because you didn't ask, if you already knew you shouldn't be traveling... that's a tricky one and I'm not going there, etc.)?

Some travel insurance has a certain type of "look back" period.
Other policy types "don't care" IF you started the coverage within <usually 10-20> days of the very first deposit, *assuming* you were fit to travel on the day you started coverage.

Could you give a bit more detail about the timing of all of this?

--> And it matters how YOUR policy defines all of this now, in your case.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

Without getting into the forbidden area of medical advice, I fail to see that this condition is at all likely to cause an emergency evacuation. If it is that dangerous, maybe you should not go..

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Sorry to confuse you all.

Preexisting condition is defined as the look back period of either 45 days with Global rescue or 60 days with travel insurance.

I believe my hemorrhoid would be considered pre-exisitng as I have seen the doctor last week. I told the doctor I have had hemorrhoids for over 15 years or so and it comes and goes. This last episode has lasted for a month.

I am asking if hemorrhoid would be considered an emergency.

I am asking if the travel insurance company would deny me of medical coverage or emergency evacuation as they can always say the reason I have altitude sickness or hypothermia is the RESULT of my hemorrhoid.

Oh I am definitely able to travel. Doctor never told me I couldn't . I also asked for a prescription of diamox just in case.

I have not bought any travel insurance at this point and wondering if I should or not after all.

Without getting into the forbidden area of medical advice, I fail to see that this condition is at all likely to cause an emergency evacuation. If it is that dangerous, maybe you should not go..

The hemorrhoid is not the reason for emergency evacuation. Altitude sickness or hypothermia would be the reason I would need it.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm
I cannot answer your other questions. However, based on experience, a hemorrhoid "situation" can become an emergency.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:26 pm

sport wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm
sil2017 wrote:
I cannot answer your other questions. However, based on experience, a hemorrhoid "situation" can become an emergency.
Learn something new every day.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm

sport wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm
sil2017 wrote:
Yes they can put you in the hospital, if they become infected and inflamed you will be lying on the ground writhing in pain unlike anything you have ever felt, unless you have been shot.

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm

okay, thanks all

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm
okay, thanks all
Good luck.

Take a pillow, perhaps inflatable.. :)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm
okay, thanks all
This is why it is so valuable to get a policy within the window after initial deposit.
Then "pre-existing conditions" are NOT excluded (but ALWAYS check the specific policy you are purchasing!), as long as you are "fit to travel" on the day you purchase the policy.

At our ages, we have a few "pre-existing conditions" that have become our new "BFF" :shock:

And thus far, for all three of our medical claims (there were some due to flight cancellations, etc.) were situations where an insurer *might* have decided to claim that it was due to a pre-existing conditions. In any event, we would not have wanted to get into that argument if thousands of dollars were at stake.

For the future, do check with www.TripInsuranceStore.com - they sell several policy types from several vetted travel insurers.
They can ask some "leading questions" to help you find the best fit for a policy, and they don't "upsell". (They once suggested that we NOT get our regular policy, and explained why... and saved us some money.)

Good luck.

And hint: Next time, don't wait until just before a trip to go to the doctor about a future procedure, unless there is an urgent need.
That's like asking for a problem.
But in your case, if you already had a history of this condition, then it might depend upon how far in the past there was last treatment (or symptoms - policies vary). That's the often very important "look back" period.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

deikel

Post by deikel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm

I still think OP might misunderstand the pre existing condition clause....yes, they will exclude you for a pre existing condition, but it needs to be related to the emergency...meaning, your heart attack on the mountain is perfectly covered, your infection complication on your backside is not...

If I were you I would be stressing much more about altitude sickness than your preexisting condition....the former is much more likely to actually affect you, many who attempt the mountain don't make it all the way up....and a few of those who are too stupid to call it quits when they still can, make a medical de-tour...just saying.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Yes they can put you in the hospital,
I've seen people go to surgery urgently due to excessive bleeding.

Have you checked to see if you have travel insurance thru existing policies? E.g., your credit card that you used to pay for the trip? I have travel insurance thru my employer's disability policy.

You might also check to see how your medical policy covers in a foreign country. Even if it doesn't pay for evacuation, it may pay for care.

You haven't been to a travel clinic? They usually have lots of good advice, and give out travel prescriptions (such as the diamox that you mentioned, and antibiotic script for traveler's diarrhea), and get you up to date on vaccinations, and inform you about local conditions. The hour I spent with the travel nurse before going to South America was well worth the $75
Last edited by InMyDreams on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 pm

sil2017 I took a few nursing students to Arusha Tanzania a few years ago - that is the likely base for your trip up Kili. We were at the district hospital Mt Maeru. Conditions are primitive and not up to Western medicine standards. So if you have a medical condition that may be problematic, take a look at your options and talk with your physician, especially about prophylaxis for attitude sickness. One other issue, you'll need lots of shot (yellow card) and Malaria prophylaxis - I'll assume you are up to speed on this. I would recommend NOT taking Doxycycline, this is not a country that has a lot of toilet paper (hint).

And enjoy your trip it's a wonderful country.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 am

Have a look at Medjet.