Will never not upgrade Business travel again

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
investingdad

Will never not upgrade Business travel again

Post by investingdad » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am

I may have said this before on here, but I'll say it again.

For business travel on the company dime, I will never not upgrade my airline seats or hotel accommodations at my own expense again.

I flew last week and spent $100 upgrading seats both ways on my personal card. Comfortable flights both ways, legroom... closer to the door for the connecting flight... earlier boarding and plenty of overhead space.

We can debate why a Megacorp with two company jets for the special people should foot this extra cost, but whatever. After 20 years of work, I won't travel uncomfortably again.

MadDwag

Re: Will never not upgrade Business travel again

Post by MadDwag » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am

If that's what you want to spend your money on, then it sounds like as good a use as any. I can't get over my cheapskate ways, so I will be passing you on the plane to my uncomfortable middle seat in the back :sharebeer

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:27 am

Good for you. I hate flying but upgrading can make it much better.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 am

Our company has a policy where if the flight is over a certain amount of hours, they will pay for business class. I've done plenty of domestic trips in the US and first class isn't worth it imo.

International airlines/flights, totally different though. Would I pay the extra $5K between economy and business class? I'd probably have to travel economy first on a international flight, but most likely I would probably shell out the extra money. 15-18 hours on a plane not comfortable can drive anyone insane.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am

HardHitter wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 am
International airlines/flights, totally different though. Would I pay the extra $5K between economy and business class? I'd probably have to travel economy first on a international flight, but most likely I would probably shell out the extra money. 15-18 hours on a plane not comfortable can drive anyone insane.
Can drive anyone insane? Really? Millions of people do that every year and the vast majority of them are not insane.

The price of business class and first class travel is beyond the affordability for the vast majority of travelers.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am

If I had to travel frequently for work and needed to spend my own money to upgrade for me to be comfortable I would look for a new job.

I’m okay sitting in coach and I fly one or two round trips a month for business. I would not take on $1000s of dollars in OOP costs to upgrade to have this job.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am
If I had to travel frequently for work and needed to spend my own money to upgrade for me to be comfortable I would look for a new job.
Agree... I do upgrade using point I've acquired due to work.... but that's mostly because I'm never able to use them when we do personal travel.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

ecotone

Post by ecotone » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 am

Buying up to either an EconomyPlus type product or First Class may also earn Premier Qualifying Dollars that help you earn elite status faster. Furthermore, some airlines will change your fare class to a first class (or equivalent) fare which would also yield far more Premier Qualifying Miles and Segments.

I commute weekly from ORD-SAT for work and will upgrade myself to First Class occasionally for the aforementioned statistical benefits. Having a bigger seat, dinner, and drinks helps too.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 am

i often upgrade to international first or business = well worth it. Emirates first is really nice!g

abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am
HardHitter wrote:
Can drive anyone insane? Really? Millions of people do that every year and the vast majority of them are not insane.

The price of business class and first class travel is beyond the affordability for the vast majority of travelers.
Agreed.

Additionally, even for those for which the cost is affordable, many find that there's a much better value proposition to be had by using that money for other activities. Even for those that lean towards luxury, it seems much more sensible to pamper yourself for 10 days once arriving at destination rather than for 10 hours on an international flight.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 pm

I am 6’5”. If you can upgrade for $100, I do not blame you one bit.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm

I have a 3.5 hour flight next month. Upgrade from coach to First for $160 on my own dime?

Yes, please. Done.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I'd also do it for long flights over 2 hrs for $100 each way.

Unfortunately, usually when I want to upgrade, it's like $350+ each way to upgrade!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

investingdad wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm
I have a 3.5 hour flight next month. Upgrade from coach to First for $160 on my own dime?

Yes, please. Done.
Domestic? I personally would not pay that much for a domestic First upgrade. I tend to fly on airlines where I get Economy Plus (UA) or Premium Class (AS) for free with a chance of a free upgrade to First closer to departure.

Internationally (Or I should say, much longer flights) I am willing to pay extra for reasonable comfort. Using award miles helps. Or reasonably priced Premium Economy (PE) or occasional super low fare Business Class tickets. And yes, many thousands of people every day cross oceans in Economy seats and survive. I have done that countless times (million miler), but nowadays I can afford a bit more comfort. And there are certain flights I just won’t take in Economy anymore (those 17 hr longhauls from California to Singapore come to mind).

Fortunately I don’t travel much for work, but I have paid for an upgrade at check in to PE when flying BA from India to Heathrow. It really makes no difference to me or my level of discomfort whether the base ticket was paid by me (leisure travel) or by my employer (business travel).

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm

For me, this falls under the category of...it's time to use a little bit of our financial success to enjoy a little bit of comfort.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Relatively small dollars but when I fly Southwest for business travel I always pay for EarlyBird. I am 5'7" & slim build so I don't pay for extra leg room on other business flights but if I was tall and large I am pretty sure I would. My boss is about 6'4" and 250 pounds. He pays out of pocket to sit in better seats. I wouldn't want him in a middle seat next to me so I think that's a good idea. For most business trips I can travel as a minimalist with a soft sided small suitcase that can fit under the seat in front of me so I don't have to fight for overhead space if I happen to end up in the last boarding group.

dpc

Post by dpc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 pm

I agree with you. I always try to upgrade to the "plus" seating. BUT..... If you ever have to change travel plans or even if the airline bumps you to another airline for some reason, you will generally lose the upgrade. It's non-refundable. Just something to be aware of.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm

lightheir wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 pm
I'd also do it for long flights over 2 hrs for $100 each way.

Unfortunately, usually when I want to upgrade, it's like $350+ each way to upgrade!
Yes, it all depends on circumstances and cost.

But I'm not going to tell my secretary to always put me in first. 'cause I don't have that much money, and I don't have a secretary either.

Sage16

Post by Sage16 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm

My dilemma is two fold, we are basically booglehead frugal and is my wife is 5' 5" and skinny and doesn't have an issue with the smaller coach seats and leg room. So the value she places on spending up for an upgraded seat especially on an international flight is different than the value I see at 6'.

On a recent flight to Europe, we were offered at checkin to upgrade to premium economy for $700 for the two of us on the first leg which was 8.5 hours. I considered it, we can afford it, but my wife wasn't going to "waste" our hard earned and saved money on the upgrade. Fortunately the plane was not full and we had an empty seat next to us and the flight was comfortable enough for me and I slept most of the fight. Had we had a larger person in the skinny seat next to us, $700 for an upgrade would have been well spent. We have friends that tell us the longer they are retired the more the upgrade becomes a requirement and not a luxury.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Maybe post this in the financial milestones omnibus thread.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:42 pm

abracadabra11 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am
HardHitter wrote:

Agreed.

Additionally, even for those for which the cost is affordable, many find that there's a much better value proposition to be had by using that money for other activities. Even for those that lean towards luxury, it seems much more sensible to pamper yourself for 10 days once arriving at destination rather than for 10 hours on an international flight.
For some topics, income or networth would be interesting. I can't imagine anyone spending <100k/year choosing to spend 10k (5k for you and the wife) for a nicer seat since there are so many other areas where that type of money can really improve your life (i.e. maid servcie for a year? Personal trainer so you fit in the seat?:)). Up your spending to 500k, and then yeah I could see it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (general complaint). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.