International Move - recommendations as for company or pitfalls ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
deikel

International Move - recommendations as for company or pitfalls ?

Post by deikel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm

I live in the US since a longer while and left a couple of households (own, inherited, spouse) behind in Germany on various attics of friends and family. I now would like to move all the stuff to the US and finally consolidate.

Besides me wondering if that is even worth it - has anyone experience if a company would drag boxes and single items (beds, piano, bookshelves and the likes) from various addresses, combine in a half container (maximum I will need) and ship it to me for unloading on my own ?

What cost could I expect roughly (to judge if it is even remotely worthwhile) ?

And how does the importation works ? Do I have to fill out every item in detail (I can not even claim to remember all items that I have).

Any pointers would be appreciated...sorry for the vague start, I need to slowly get into this.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

Pajamas

Re: International Move - recommendations as for company or pitfalls ?

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 pm

My suggestion would be to move only things that are important to you such as family photos because of the expense in doing so. I wouldn't see any point in moving anything that could easily be replaced. An easy example would be furniture from Ikea.

I had a relative by marriage from Europe who died and the family did not want to shoulder the expense of moving even furniture that been in their family for a couple of hundred years back to Europe and simply requested that it be auctioned here instead.

Also, it's not just the expense, but also the trouble. The executor of the will was relieved because it was possible to just call an auction house to come pick everything up and then take care of the proceeds.

deikel

Post by deikel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I will give myself one bump

Yes, the additional trouble is the problem part, ideally I am wondering if something like PODS exists overseas so I could move a PODS to one location, load what I find useful/valuable, have it moved to the next location, filled further and finally be transported to the US

I know PODS works nice in the US, but is there something similar internationally ?

For those who did a move overseas, ball park figure for cost ?

Thanks
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Never done it myself but I've heard it costs $$$, and you can expect big delays, a bunch of additional charges and import duties and tariffs, and stuff will get broken along the way.

a__

Post by a__ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 pm

deikel wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm
I live in the US since a longer while and left a couple of households (own, inherited, spouse) behind in Germany on various attics of friends and family. I now would like to move all the stuff to the US and finally consolidate.

Besides me wondering if that is even worth it - has anyone experience if a company would drag boxes and single items (beds, piano, bookshelves and the likes) from various addresses, combine in a half container (maximum I will need) and ship it to me for unloading on my own ?

What cost could I expect roughly (to judge if it is even remotely worthwhile) ?

And how does the importation works ? Do I have to fill out every item in detail (I can not even claim to remember all items that I have).

Any pointers would be appreciated...sorry for the vague start, I need to slowly get into this.
Are you prepared to travel to Germany to pack everything yourself first? Otherwise, I think this will be difficult, and it will definitely be expensive. If you're not even sure what you have in various places, how will the movers know what to pack?

When I moved overseas for my current job, my company engaged with a relocation consultant, who organized everything for shipping my household goods. It's quite complex, the have to prepare all the documents, and declare appropriately for import duties. They may not have to list each single item, but this is best left to professionals.

I don't know what it finally cost - but if I had to guess, I think could be as much as $8,000-10,000. And in my case, the movers only had to pack a single location.

The company I worked with is called Santa Fe Relocation: https://www.santaferelo.com They did a fine job - but I'm sure if you google "internatonal relocation" you will find a few others to comparison shop.