Strong Nearsighted Glasses - Tips Requested

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
URSnshn

Strong Nearsighted Glasses - Tips Requested

Post by URSnshn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi! I have a strong prescription (over a minus 12. I'd like my glasses to be attractive. In addition I have smaller face and have had a hard time finding glasses my size in stock. From my own research I find that more attractive glasses - less of a "pull in" effect and less thickness - will be if the glasses I buy:

* have temple stems that are positioned near the temples rather than lower down.
* use high index lens material with anti-reflective coating
* are smaller rather than larger - think John Lennon's glasses and round is more optimal, but oval might do.
* choose a frame that goes around the entire lens and possibly more than a simple wire - this obscures to some degree the thickness of the lens.
* Due to my prescription, I think in-person is better than online for fitting.

I had one pair made and the optician was of the opinion that the frame was more important than the prescription so I decided to give it a go. The frames are big and to any viewer they visually pull my face in considerably when viewed face to face. They are also heavy. I believe they were made with a 1.64 polycarbonate lens.

I can take the frames and lenses back, but since my size frame isn't available - I'll have to purchase frames from another optician and work within a two-week return frame/lens timetable

Any tips from others who have strong prescriptions and have been satisfied with their new eyeglasses?

Last edited by URSnshn on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamthesmythe

Re: Strong Nearsighted Glasses - Tips Requested

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Not sure where the two weeks gets in there. But if you bought something on the advice of the seller, seller says it is returnable, and you don't like it- then return.

I don't know if you NEED an AR coating although it may help.

One more thing to reduce the visual impact is to polish the edges (doesn't help with front view).

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Plastic frames that cover most of the lens from the side are one of the better things you can do to reduce the appearance of a high prescription lens. I think there are higher refraction lenses out there too but could be wrong about that.

dogofthunder

Post by dogofthunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

I have a minus 11 prescription, and a smaller face, so I know of what you speak. I like squarish more than round, so my last three pairs of glasses have all been the Ray-Ban 5187 (https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/ ... 5289343387). There are higher-index lenses than 1.64 (mine have 1.74). I purchased mine at LensCrafters. They may not be the most cost-effective, but they've been easy to work with and have had good customer service. From what I can recall, they have a 30 day return policy.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm

I"d recommend contact lenses with your prescription. Better yet, depending on your age, consider a surgical procedure called refractive lens exchange.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Plastic frames are the way to go. I don't think it matters if they're round or square or oval. A tortoiseshell frame is good because the gold/brown pattern somehow helps disguise the thickness of the lens.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

My request of the optician: I want the lightest weight and best optical quality I can get for my nearsighted/astigmatism Rx (although mine is not quite as strong as the OP). I end up with high index progressive rimless lenses in an oval shape (1.67 or 1.74) Transitions with Crizal (I think it was the Sapphire 360 but I'm not quite certain) and Silhouette titanium frames (actually, they are frameless for the lenses). Pricy but it fits my requirements.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Cardinalsfan

Post by Cardinalsfan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi I would second the consideration of contact lenses or a potential surgical fix if you are a candidate.
Try to find a really good optician as they can usually do wonders with proper fitting glasses. Ask your friends etc who wear glasses for a recommendation. Optical shoppes associated or part of an Ophthalmologist office are usually profit centers for that office and generate good revenues for the surgeon. You may be better off finding a stand-alone optical shop
Good luck!

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 pm

For -12, optical4less 1.67, or 1.74 zenni optical.

Optical4less takes a while to ship and is made in Hong Kong if you're wary of that sort of thing. I switched to zenni optical because it is made in the USA.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm

That's a strong prescription. I just got this info from quickly googling answers, so can't vouch for the accuracy, but this calculator predicts a very thick edge, nearly a cm in some cases. How thick is your 1.64 polycarbonate at thickest point?

http://64.50.176.246/tools/thickness.php

I've seen 1.74 ultra high index before, but just learned about Zeiss 1.8 Tital and 1.9 Lantal. They're glass so you trade cost and weight for thinness. I'd stick to the lightest weight thinnest lens, which I think is the 1.74 plastic. Check with your optician.

These are very expensive now, but may be the future with 3D printing.
https://www.eyelandframemakers.com/custom-eyewear/

As far as fit, to minimize thickness, you're right; you want a round lens with the focus right through the center of the circle or as close as you can get. What's your interpupillary distance? If I'm thinking about this correctly, to get the minimal edge thickness, you want a frame where the lens width plus the bridge width add up to equal your interpupillary distance. The smallest sum I've seen from scanning a few lenses is 67, so for most folks, that means looking for the narrowest frame. For height, you might see if you can deal with looking through the middle of the height (generally lower than typical focus point height) rather than the top half of the lens. But these are things best discussed with an experienced optician.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/unisex-f ... uId=151314
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/plastic- ... Id=2016021
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/acetate- ... uId=430015
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/rimless- ... uId=367515

More pricey choices you might want to look at (eye+bridge even lower than above; saw one total 61). Don't let this be an overriding factor, but just an indication of how optimal your thickness minimization effort goes.
https://www.eyeglasses.com/eyeglasses/b ... ewear.html

The high index thickness doesn't look that bad for this wearer (-10), so you may have more choices than you think.
http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 pm

I appreciate all the replies! And ...

Inbox788: Interesting about the calculator! I don't know how thick the 1.64 polycarbonate lens I have is at its thinnest point - a guess would be a 1/4 inch - but it is very difficult to tell. Also very interesting about possibly using glass (Zeiss, Lantel) and when I was looking around I saw it was also possible to look out of the country for thinner lenses - I live near Canada. I don't know how viable that is though. Thank you for your post - I found it useful.

donfairplay: Thank you, I didn't realize Zenni made glasses in my strength, I was mistaken.

Cardinalsfan: I agree - an optician not associated with an ophthalmologist office IS the way to go.

Fletch: I am amazed you have a strong prescription AND a rimless frame. Maybe I really do need a better optician!

You've all been very helpful!