Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 am

Anybody else having trouble with Yahoo mail on their pc (Windows 10)

I am not able to delete emails. When I try to put a checkmark on an email so as to delete it, instead of getting the check mark, it opens the email.

I've tried hovering over the trash icon, but it won't work either.

I've tried re booting and still nothing.

At first I thought it might be the mouse, but it works in every other application.

At least, I'm able to delete emails from my phone.

Any ideas for a fix??

1210

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 am

More than likely a browser issue - try a different browser.
I'm not having this problem with Windows 10 - I use Chrome.

an_asker
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by an_asker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

This does not really answer your question, but I quit using Yahoo! email on a pc/laptop a while back, when they switched from a set number of emails (50, IIRC) to a bottomless scrolling which made it very very difficult, as well as took a lot of memory resources. I use Yahoo! email on smartphone now, but it has moved from primary to secondary (behind gmail) email source for me.

jebmke
Posts: 7909
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by jebmke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am

Works ok for me - Firefox 64bit.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bloom2708
Posts: 4146
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 am

Try a different browser. Chrome or Firefox.

Clear browsing history.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 6911
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am

No problem here, using chrome in linux.
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 am
Clear browsing history.
I'm not sure if "history" was intended to mean all browsing data, but I think it's usually clearing cache and cookies that seem to be recommended as a way to try to fix browser issues. Just mentioning as in chrome you can delete just "history", while leaving cache and cookies intact.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Sockpuppet
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Sockpuppet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

I am still mad at Yahoo for deleting all my emails from 1997-2007 >:(

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:10 pm

OP here. I am using Chrome as my browser.

1210

DetroitRick
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:28 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by DetroitRick » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I have gotten a slight variation of your problem last year, although it has not reappeared in the last 2 months or so. It was very intermittent. Chrome and Firefox, Windows 10. In my case it occurred when deleting more than one email at once - I could check the delete box but it(they) wouldn't delete when I next hit the "delete" button. It only happened occasionally, so I didn't thoroughly diagnose. No other problems exhibited on that computer, just Yahoo Mail. Wife, on another computer, did not have the problem. Nor did my Android device. I'm using ATT's Yahoo Mail, so that is another difference versus your "pure" Yahoo Mail.

Here is what worked for me when this happened:
And I know this is odd, but it always seemed to work - check the box to select all email, then uncheck it so that none are selected. Then try again to delete one or more emails. Always worked for me, and each time the problem disappeared for a while.

If I experience it again, I'll do more thorough diagnostics and re-post.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am
I am still mad at Yahoo for deleting all my emails from 1997-2007 >:(
I still have emails on Yahoo that go back that far. Was it based upon the storage volume you were using?

Sockpuppet
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Sockpuppet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm
Sockpuppet wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am
I am still mad at Yahoo for deleting all my emails from 1997-2007 >:(
I still have emails on Yahoo that go back that far. Was it based upon the storage volume you were using?
There was a period where they would delete everything in mass if you didn't log in over a set amount of time (I think 1 year).

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm
Sockpuppet wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am
I am still mad at Yahoo for deleting all my emails from 1997-2007 >:(
I still have emails on Yahoo that go back that far. Was it based upon the storage volume you were using?
There was a period where they would delete everything in mass if you didn't log in over a set amount of time (I think 1 year).
Ah - I see. Well if you didn't check on those emails for a year I guess they couldn't have been that important :)

Hooked
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Hooked » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Can you log onto the Yahoo server and delete it?

Hooked...

zuzimb
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by zuzimb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I had a variation of this issue a few weeks back.

I was unable to delete, and then on top of that only the emails that I received that day were showing up. I used Chrome, Firefox, Edge to no avail. Along with deleting cache and cookies. Even hard reset my computer.

About 1.5/2 weeks later everything started working properly again. No clue what the issue was but I'll be transitioning to another service as my main email.

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 pm

zuzimb wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
About 1.5/2 weeks later everything started working properly again. No clue what the issue was but I'll be transitioning to another service as my main email.
On it's own??

So I may have to wait up to 2 weeks.....Arrrggghh!

1210

User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3439
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 pm

I have a yahoo email and a gmail account that I use about equally, I've had no problem deleting Yahoo emails and did several of them today.

zuzimb
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by zuzimb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm

1210sda wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 pm
zuzimb wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
About 1.5/2 weeks later everything started working properly again. No clue what the issue was but I'll be transitioning to another service as my main email.
On it's own??

So I may have to wait up to 2 weeks.....Arrrggghh!

1210
Yah, I did nothing extra.... maybe windows 10 updated that night while I was sleeping, but I don't know why it started working again. Figured Yahoo just broke and it took them a bit to patch and fix it. Googling it led me to find that my area was reporting alot of yahoo outages, and reports for the same issue going back years.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by F150HD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 pm

switch inbox to 'basic'. I hate how they keep trying to force you into 'new' and 'improved' email and it just becomes a pain to use. Don' t need bells and whistles in email, nor do I want every social media site on the planet connected to my email.

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 am

would re-installing Yahoo mail help ?
1210

User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3439
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 am

1210sda wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 am
would re-installing Yahoo mail help ?
1210
There's nothing installed on your PC for Yahoo mail. It runs entirely on Yahoo servers, accessed through whichever browser you're using.

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 am
1210sda wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 am
would re-installing Yahoo mail help ?
1210
There's nothing installed on your PC for Yahoo mail. It runs entirely on Yahoo servers, accessed through whichever browser you're using.
In that case, can Chrome be re installed. Obviously, I'm willing to try anything. Thank God for my cell phone. At least I'm not totally without email.

1210

User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3439
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 am

1210sda wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 am
Steelersfan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 am
1210sda wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 am
would re-installing Yahoo mail help ?
1210
There's nothing installed on your PC for Yahoo mail. It runs entirely on Yahoo servers, accessed through whichever browser you're using.
In that case, can Chrome be re installed. Obviously, I'm willing to try anything. Thank God for my cell phone. At least I'm not totally without email.

1210
Yes you can, and that could help.

When you reinstall it will have saved off all your bookmarks and other personalized data you have entered, so there's no disruption to your browsing.

Polydorus
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by Polydorus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:46 am

F150HD wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 pm
switch inbox to 'basic'. I hate how they keep trying to force you into 'new' and 'improved' email and it just becomes a pain to use. Don' t need bells and whistles in email, nor do I want every social media site on the planet connected to my email.
Switching to basic works for me also. Using Firefox.

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:18 pm

OP with an update....

You're not gonna believe this!!

I now have full access to my yahoo mail.

By tinkering around, I found a way around my problem.

I go to my yahoo mail homepage. Then I click on my "contacts" icon. Once I'm in "contacts", I click on that page's "Mail" icon. Voila, there it is. All my old in-box, sent, trash, spam, everything. Plus, I can delete emails, I can reply and I can forward. All of which I could not do before.

Having to take the extra 2 steps is not ideal, but for now, it is a relief to know my old emails are still available. Not sure what to do next, but at least I'm back in business.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me. Ya'll are the best!!

1210

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Yahoo Mail: Delete Not Working

Post by 1210sda » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 am

Update from OP.

Last night, 6 days after my Yahoo mail went bonkers, it was miraculously restored.

I am back to normal. No more jerry rigged approaches.

I hope that if someone encounters this type of problem in the future, they'll know that it likely will be resolved in just a few (but frustrating) days. :happy

1210

Post Reply