Men's MUST iron dress shirt recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sid hartha

Men's MUST iron dress shirt recommendations

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 am

Hi, this is sort of inspired by the other topic on non-iron shirts. Unfortunately, I have found that I can't wear no-iron shirts. For some reason they give me a rash and feel really itchy and scratchy. I have found Brooks Brothers offers a few untreated must iron button down dress shirts. They go on sale for $40-$50 each every so often. As well as their OCBDs which to be honest are a bit too much money. Also, Uniqlo offers a decent Oxford for about $30 or $20 on sale. But other than that I am pretty much stuck. My dress shirts options seem limited. Seems like everything these days is non-iron or wrinkle free. Even LL Bean and Lands End. I guess I can try Charles Tyrwhitt but they seem to lack much of anything in my size. Anyone else have the same issue and have any suggestions? Thanks.

DaftInvestor

Re: Men's MUST iron dress shirt recommendations

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am

Do you wear t-shirts under your shirts?
I used to have the opposite problem - found the starch that was added at the dry cleaners with must iron shirts to be irritating. (Realize I could request no starch but then they didn't look as good - have gone all non-iron now).
Most of the brands mentioned on the other thread (jos.a.bank, BB, croft, etc) have both iron and non-iron options.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am
Do you wear t-shirts under your shirts?
I used to have the opposite problem - found the starch that was added at the dry cleaners with must iron shirts to be irritating. (Realize I could request no starch but then they didn't look as good - have gone all non-iron now).
Most of the brands mentioned on the other thread (jos.a.bank, BB, croft, etc) have both iron and non-iron options.
Thanks for the response. Yes I usually do wear t-shirts under my shirts but I would still get a rash on my arm. And would kind of feel itchy all over. I guess I happen to be one of the unlucky ones that are sensitive to the chemical treatment that they use. Yes I agree, when I used the cleaners I always requested no starch. At this point I actually do all my own shirts at home in the laundry and iron them myself. I avoid they dryer, just take them out of the washer, quick iron and hang them to dry. I have found they last a lot longer than sending them out to the cleaner, considerable longer in fact. I think the dryer destroys them pretty fast.

I went to JOS Bank but they didn't have any dress shirts that were not non-iron and online I couldn't find any dress shirts that were of the non wrinkle free variety. BB has a few but only online, not in store. Oh well. Guess I will make due with what I can find.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am

For "must iron" dress shirts, my personal favorites are Ralph Lauren. They are exceptionally soft (even with light starch from the cleaners) and they are extremely durable (I have one that's in its second decade, although it pulls more casual duty now). Only downside for me is that they don't have a breast pocket (YMMV on whether that's an issue).

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 am

mak1277 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am
For "must iron" dress shirts, my personal favorites are Ralph Lauren. They are exceptionally soft (even with light starch from the cleaners) and they are extremely durable (I have one that's in its second decade, although it pulls more casual duty now). Only downside for me is that they don't have a breast pocket (YMMV on whether that's an issue).
Thanks for the Tip. Yes I have had a few in the past and they did last a long time. Currently my Polo OCBD (A thrift store buy) is one of my favorite shirts. Lately though I haven't had luck with the sizing the arms seem way too long on me. But I will keep looking.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am

sid hartha wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 am
mak1277 wrote:
Thanks for the Tip. Yes I have had a few in the past and they did last a long time. Currently my Polo OCBD (A thrift store buy) is one of my favorite shirts. Lately though I haven't had luck with the sizing the arms seem way too long on me. But I will keep looking.
Don't you have control over the sleeve length you order?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am

I would look for something that is 100% pinpoint cotton. They may be labeled wrinkle free or no iron but my experience is that is a crock - they need to be ironed. I can’t imagine a 100% soft cotton shirt would be irritating but I guess it is possible.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 am

mak1277 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am
sid hartha wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Not from what I have seen on their website. I'm a 32" length but need a 15 or 15.5" collar. On their site that puts you at a 34-35" sleeve length which is what I have found in the store as well. BB lets you pick both the collar size and sleeve length for example. RL does not seem to offer exact sleeve lengths. I guess I could take it to a tailor but I'd rather save the time and money if possible.
Last edited by sid hartha on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

quaternion

Post by quaternion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 am

Strong recommendation for the Lands End Hyde Park Supima Oxford. Compared to Brooks Brothers: better quality, lower price, and substantially better customer service.

I wore out a several BB OCBDs in ~1 year. Replaced them with LE Hyde Parks, which still look practically new two years later. One possible caveat: the collar on the LE shirts is smaller, and some prefer the BB look with a tie. (A tie would be quite out of place at my job, so LE wins again.)

Kamakura makes some shirts that look awfully nice, though I cannot offer any personal experience.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am

Kenkat wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am
I would look for something that is 100% pinpoint cotton. They may be labeled wrinkle free or no iron but my experience is that is a crock - they need to be ironed. I can’t imagine a 100% soft cotton shirt would be irritating but I guess it is possible.
Thanks. It's not the shirt fabric it's what they treat it with. Formaldehyde etc. The non-iron pinpoints from BB gave me a rash, even after repeated washings. It only bothers a limited # of people apparently. Most don't have an issue. Unfortunately I guess I have very sensitive skin.

See:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-war-ov ... 77?tesla=y

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 am

quaternion wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 am
Strong recommendation for the Lands End Hyde Park Supima Oxford. Compared to Brooks Brothers: better quality, lower price, and substantially better customer service.

I wore out a several BB OCBDs in ~1 year. Replaced them with LE Hyde Parks, which still look practically new two years later. One possible caveat: the collar on the LE shirts is smaller, and some prefer the BB look with a tie. (A tie would be quite out of place at my job, so LE wins again.)

Kamakura makes some shirts that look awfully nice, though I cannot offer any personal experience.
Thanks, I will check those out! Very helpful. I love OCBDs

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am

sid hartha wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 am
mak1277 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am
sid hartha wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Not from what I have seen on their website. I'm a 32" length but need a 15 or 15.5" collar. On their site that puts you at a 34-35" sleeve length which is what I have found in the store as well. BB lets you pick both the collar size and sleeve length for example. RL does not seem to offer exact sleeve lengths. I guess I could take it to a tailor but I'd rather save the time and money if possible.
Weird I actually didn't realize that you couldn't choose sleeve length. Glad I have long arms!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am

I don't use them but most of the online tailors (e.g. Indochino, Proper Cloth) primarily use "must iron" fabrics for their shirts.

Not sure if that's what you are looking for but may be something to consider (especially if you are finding it hard to get a good fit). There are many online reviews of these companies. I primarily use Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts and am happy with them but if I wanted "must iron" shirts I would give the above companies a try. I wish I was like some of the other posters who can't tell the difference between a $19 Costco shirt and a custom $120 retail shirt (but I can and its important to me to dress slightly better than my peers at work).

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 am

stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am
I don't use them but most of the online tailors (e.g. Indochino, Proper Cloth) primarily use "must iron" fabrics for their shirts.

Not sure if that's what you are looking for but may be something to consider (especially if you are finding it hard to get a good fit). There are many online reviews of these companies. I primarily use Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts and am happy with them but if I wanted "must iron" shirts I would give the above companies a try. I wish I was like some of the other posters who can't tell the difference between a $19 Costco shirt and a custom $120 retail shirt (but I can and its important to me to dress slightly better than my peers at work).
Thanks. I heard Ratio is also pretty good. It's pricey but maybe I will give that a shot. If they last a long time I can justify the expense.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am

I wonder if you could find a tailor locally that would either make you a custom shirt with specifically chosen fabric free of additives - or be able to refer you to someone online who could do this.

I know old school tailors are becoming very scarce but they are out there.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 am

Kenkat wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am
I wonder if you could find a tailor locally that would either make you a custom shirt with specifically chosen fabric free of additives - or be able to refer you to someone online who could do this.

That's also a good idea, I will check! I looked and you can send Ratio a shirt that fits well and they will create a template for you. So I might try that if there are no cheaper options.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am

would a long-sleeve t-shirt under the dress shirt help?
Focus on what you can control

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 am

epictetus wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am
would a long-sleeve t-shirt under the dress shirt help?
Possibly. Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am

If you don't mind the hit-or-miss shopping in stores like Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx, you can get lucky sometimes.

Gitman Bros. makes nice shirts and Nordstrom Rack will usually have a few. You can also sometimes find Brooks Brothers shirts at Nordstrom Rack and of course they also have their regular sales.

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am

I hate them, too. It's not a rash I get, it's that the cross-linked fibers inherent in the formaldahyde treatment makes the cotton not breathe, so the shirts are hot and stuffy. I don't understand how so many men put up with these abominations.

On the bright side, a lot of true dress shirts, as opposed to sport shirts, really are must iron. So it's not so hard to find, it's finding them cheap that's a trick.

As luck would have it I was a 15/32 a few pounds ago. Often this is a large tall. Unfortunately US sizing has inflated a bit to follow the general population upwards in diameter. So now you probably need a large tall slim, or a medium xtra tall, or some such permutation. On the bright side, the fashion now is for snugger fits from the more fashionable vendors, so there are a lot of "slim" sizes sold.

As mentioned, Polo has them, not just on the regular website but also in the big and tall corner. There are enough sizes that you might find a 15/32 as a medium or large tall. I find the polo fits a little variable, often baggy, but workable for casual sport shirt purposes. Some of the dress polos ought to be in real sizes, are they really not?

Lands End's hyde park OCBD is good. It's sort of seasonal or something, comes and goes in the catalog, but does have numbered sizes last I knew. They also have a shirt called "sailrigger" which is a less thick must-iron OCBD sold as a sport shirt. Properly laundered, these are passable. Come in regular and tall variants so you might find a fit.

Brooks has what many regard as the gold standard for OCBDs, including must-iron ones. They will be sized. I swear they have lots of other must-iron dress shirts, too.

Jos A Bank used to have exactly one OCBD shirt model in must-iron, but I bet that has fallen by the wayside. Maybe in their newish "Joseph" trendy line there is something?

Mercer and Sons (in Maine!) does both stock and made to measure shirts which are basically clones of the Brooks ones. They stock the usual blue/white OCBD items, and can make up shirts in a bunch of other fabrics. I think they have the good taste not to offer any no-iron fabrics at all. Highly recommend their products. IIRC they do boxers also (a traditional use of leftover shirt fabric).

I think Nordstrom has an MTM program, there ought to be iron fabrics in there. Some independent men's shops also have an MTM offering. There's some operation, used to be in NJ, which issues independent shops a retail display and measuring instructions. Hopefully that is still a going concern.

Note that if you find a good shirt that fits well except that the sleeves are too long, or it's baggy around the torso, a tailor can fix either of those things pretty easily. Fixing a more structural fit issue like yoke (shoulders) or neck OTOH would probably not be worth it. I would get an assortment of least bad fitting shirts, go to your tailor, and have him tell you which ones will be the least work and best fit in the end.

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 am

quaternion wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 am

Kamakura shirts are far superior to Brooks Brothers, which has really declined in recent years. I'm a huge fan of their Tokyo Slim Fit shirts (I think they just switched the name to Manhattan Slim Fit), which come in tons of fabrics, collars, etc. Their button down collars are excellent.

aquamarine

Post by aquamarine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am

Hi I just wanted to mention this in case it might help. I have a friend who is very sensitive to chemicals and allergic to things. She can also get a rash like you mentioned even with clothing. She swears by buying "organic cotton" clothes that are free of chemicals. I would think they make both men and women clothes. I hadn't even heard of "organic" clothing before but she definitely feels comfortable wearing these. Maybe google to see if something for men's clothing comes up?
Last edited by aquamarine on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am

gtaylor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am
I hate them, too. It's not a rash I get, it's that the cross-linked fibers inherent in the formaldahyde treatment makes the cotton not breathe, so the shirts are hot and stuffy. I don't understand how so many men put up with these abominations.

On the bright side, a lot of true dress shirts, as opposed to sport shirts, really are must iron. So it's not so hard to find, it's finding them cheap that's a trick.

As luck would have it I was a 15/32 a few pounds ago. Often this is a large tall. Unfortunately US sizing has inflated a bit to follow the general population upwards in diameter. So now you probably need a large tall slim, or a medium xtra tall, or some such permutation. On the bright side, the fashion now is for snugger fits from the more fashionable vendors, so there are a lot of "slim" sizes sold.

As mentioned, Polo has them, not just on the regular website but also in the big and tall corner. There are enough sizes that you might find a 15/32 as a medium or large tall. I find the polo fits a little variable, often baggy, but workable for casual sport shirt purposes. Some of the dress polos ought to be in real sizes, are they really not?

Lands End's hyde park OCBD is good. It's sort of seasonal or something, comes and goes in the catalog, but does have numbered sizes last I knew. They also have a shirt called "sailrigger" which is a less thick must-iron OCBD sold as a sport shirt. Properly laundered, these are passable. Come in regular and tall variants so you might find a fit.

Brooks has what many regard as the gold standard for OCBDs, including must-iron ones. They will be sized. I swear they have lots of other must-iron dress shirts, too.

Jos A Bank used to have exactly one OCBD shirt model in must-iron, but I bet that has fallen by the wayside. Maybe in their newish "Joseph" trendy line there is something?

Mercer and Sons (in Maine!) does both stock and made to measure shirts which are basically clones of the Brooks ones. They stock the usual blue/white OCBD items, and can make up shirts in a bunch of other fabrics. I think they have the good taste not to offer any no-iron fabrics at all. Highly recommend their products. IIRC they do boxers also (a traditional use of leftover shirt fabric).

I think Nordstrom has an MTM program, there ought to be iron fabrics in there. Some independent men's shops also have an MTM offering. There's some operation, used to be in NJ, which issues independent shops a retail display and measuring instructions. Hopefully that is still a going concern.

Note that if you find a good shirt that fits well except that the sleeves are too long, or it's baggy around the torso, a tailor can fix either of those things pretty easily. Fixing a more structural fit issue like yoke (shoulders) or neck OTOH would probably not be worth it. I would get an assortment of least bad fitting shirts, go to your tailor, and have him tell you which ones will be the least work and best fit in the end.
Wow, you sir know your stuff!!!

Sizing is a bit tough for me. I am short but work out so often the chest is too tight in many shirts for me. But if I get a bigger size the arms are way to long. Yes, Brooks has around 10 or so varieties of button down must iron dress shirts (not including the OCBD which is more money) and that basically is what I have bought in the past for dress shirts when they go on sale. I like them, I guess I was just trying to see if there was anything else out there to consider, and this has given me some things to explore. But there is not a lot of variety vs the non-iron offerings which seems where the market is. I tried the "sailrigger" - I thought it was a pretty nice shirt but the shoulders were a bit tight on me and the arms a bit long. I did buy some OCBDs at Uniqlo for $20 - they are ok not as nice as Brooks but I wear them under sweaters and on the weekend. I think I might give also Ratio a shot, they seem to get good reviews. And I do see Charles T has some must iron poplin spread collars in my size. Their site was at least easy to use with a shirt finder that allows you to sort by non-iron and must iron. Thanks everyone this was very helpful! You are a great bunch!

SaveAShilling

Post by SaveAShilling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 am

My suggestion is to refrigerate your slightly damp shirts before you iron them. They iron better that way.

maylikesun

Post by maylikesun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 am

recommend OLYMP and Hugo Boss.
A bit pricy but worth the money

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

I was a huge fan of Brooks Brothers “must iron” Supima oxford cotton button down (OCBD) shirts before they hiked the pice to $140 and removed the pocket. I still buy them on sale (2-3 times a year) but don't find them a particularly good value day to day.

If there's a Brooks Brothers near you, ask them when they do a trunk show or trunk sale on their bespoke shirts. I was able to get a few custom OCBD shirts for around $100 each that fit my body perfectly and had some features that they don't regularly offer (flap pockets).

I'm also on the look out for a new source of oxford button downs. For me they're the perfect workhorse shirt for the work week as comfortable as a t-shirt when you break them in. Easy to dress up or dress down, when they get too scruffy for work or shrink too much I can retire them for weekend wear.

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am
I was a huge fan of Brooks Brothers “must iron” Supima oxford cotton button down (OCBD) shirts [...]

I'm also on the look out for a new source of oxford button downs.
Definitely try Mercer and Sons. Everything Brooks' OCBDs used to be, and better.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:42 pm

gtaylor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 pm
stimulacra wrote:
I was a huge fan of Brooks Brothers “must iron” Supima oxford cotton button down (OCBD) shirts [...]

Definitely try Mercer and Sons. Everything Brooks' OCBDs used to be, and better.
The shirts looks good. But boy their website could use an update!

But they seems like a company I would support:

http://www.ivy-style.com/how-we-roll-me ... xford.html

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 pm

sid hartha wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:42 pm
gtaylor wrote:
stimulacra wrote:

The shirts looks good. But boy their website could use an update!

But they seems like a company I would support:

http://www.ivy-style.com/how-we-roll-me ... xford.html
Yeah. I think it's the industry. Mercifully you don't wear the website. A great operation, just no tech :)

Similar situation with City Boxers out of Arizona. The best boxer shorts by far, pretty klunky website. (And how ridiculous is it that The Great Encheapening has driven anyone to buy MTM boxers?)

facepalm

Post by facepalm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Of the must iron, 100% cotton shirts, Nordstorm standard house brand are probably the best quality for pinpoint, both in button-down and plain collar. I have tried most of the other brands and the Nordstrom feel the nicest and seem to last the longest. They also come in a good range of sizes, but color selection can be limited when you start hitting 37 length sleeves.

For standard oxford cloth, Lands End Hyde Park oxfords are very decent, and are of about the same quality as Brooks Bros and LL Bean. They can get pretty stiff when you have them starched. Last I checked, anyway. For some reason Brooks Bros. cuts their standard cut shirt pretty full, and I found I couldn't get a good fit as they ran way too baggy. I have owned a few RL shirts and they have tended to be of great quality as well.

Lastly, if you are buying iron shirts, find a good laundry and send them out. I have never run across anyone that can finish a shirt as well as a good laundry service. My opinion, but I used to sell Men's furnishings. I do Iron my own sport shirts damp, but always send out my white and blue dress shirts.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 pm

I am a believer in Paul Frederick. Great shirts. True to size. Nice fabrics.

Buy when they have a sale.

$35 or so for a shirt that will fit you perfectly with great style.

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm

I traded in my British shirtmakers for Proper Cloth. Highly. Recommend.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 am

NYCguy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm
I traded in my British shirtmakers for Proper Cloth. Highly. Recommend.
Interesting. How did you go about getting the sizing right?

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:02 pm

gtaylor wrote:
stimulacra wrote:

How do you size them compared to BB?

Also with BB's OCBDs, the traditional fit (Madison) is way too billowy for me, the slim fit (Regent) fits a lot better, ultra-slim (Milano) is way too tight. Doesn't appear Mercer and Sons offers choices in fit outside of collar and sleeve. I guess I could have them taken in at a seamstress but that adds a layer of cost and hassle.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

My husband used Brooks Brothers shirts for years, but he has been unhappy with how they have held up. He alternates between JCrew for more casual shirts and Kamakura for nicer shirts. He says the JCrew shirts hold up better than Brooks Brothers. He loves his Kamakura shirts the best but has just a few as they are pricey.

He will only wear shirts that must be ironed, to avoid the chemicals that come with non-iron shirts.

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:11 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:02 pm
gtaylor wrote:
stimulacra wrote:

How do you size them compared to BB?

Also with BB's OCBDs, the traditional fit (Madison) is way too billowy for me, the slim fit (Regent) fits a lot better, ultra-slim (Milano) is way too tight. Doesn't appear Mercer and Sons offers choices in fit outside of collar and sleeve. I guess I could have them taken in at a seamstress but that adds a layer of cost and hassle.
He goes with the old-school fit, so I assume it's Madison-esque. Last time I dealt with him he was willing to assemble quasi-MTM frankenshirts with narrow this and wide that.

As you are strong and trim, you may be unable to avoid slim sizes and/or a bit of tailoring to get a good fit. It may not seem thrifty, but tailoring would probably be the smallest component of lifetime cost, after laundry and the shirt itself.

g$$

Post by g$$ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm

I like the "Hyde Park" shirts at Lands End, but in mu experience they need to be tailored. Too much fabric, even on the "tailored" fit version.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 am

stimulacra wrote:
I was a huge fan of Brooks Brothers “must iron” Supima oxford cotton button down (OCBD) shirts before they hiked the pice to $140 and removed the pocket. I still buy them on sale (2-3 times a year) but don't find them a particularly good value day to day.

If there's a Brooks Brothers near you, ask them when they do a trunk show or trunk sale on their bespoke shirts. I was able to get a few custom OCBD shirts for around $100 each that fit my body perfectly and had some features that they don't regularly offer (flap pockets).

I'm also on the look out for a new source of oxford button downs. For me they're the perfect workhorse shirt for the work week as comfortable as a t-shirt when you break them in. Easy to dress up or dress down, when they get too scruffy for work or shrink too much I can retire them for weekend wear.
I may have found a few good OCBD sources if you like BB but you would like to add things like a pocket or have sizing issues.

https://michaelspencer.us/

They seem to be made in the same factory as BB, have very similar sizing, but you can make several customization's like adding a pocket, adjustments to the cuff size, locker loop etc. They seem to have lot's of neck sizes and sleeve lengths. Still not cheap at $135 but from all accounts a quality shirt that will last a long time. And I think they might have sales from time to time. Made in the US if that is important to you.

The other source I am considering for OCBDs is Ratio.

https://www.ratioclothing.com/

Their OCBDs start at $98 and also have a wealth of customization's. From what I gather they also use the same Oxford fabric as BB. Also made in the US if that is important to you. For sizing they say you can send them your best fitting shirt and they will make a template for you from that.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 pm

So it turns out I got pretty lucky at goodwill stores over the weekend.

I got:

2 RL OCBD's
1 J Crew dress shirt
1 RL dress shirt
1 Brooks Brothers OCBD
1 Turnbull and Asser

I also ordered a few shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt which were pretty nice. And I ordered a MTM OCBD from Ratio. I should be good for a while. Thanks for all the advice.

nicad2000

Post by nicad2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Gitman Bros. would be my recommendation if you can find them. Otherwise, Brooks Brothers are still nice if you go for the heavier oxford cloth. Their must-iron pinpoint wrinkles like no one’s business. I used to buy Gitman exclusively but have become lazy and fallen back on B.B. non-iron.

I will caveat this to say that the BB Golden Fleece sport shirts (must-iron) are very nice if you can find them.

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Just ordered five proper cloth dress shirts this weekend. Their product is terrific.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

Strummer

Post by Strummer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 am

sid hartha wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am
And I do see Charles T has some must iron poplin spread collars in my size. Their site was at least easy to use with a shirt finder that allows you to sort by non-iron and must iron. Thanks everyone this was very helpful! You are a great bunch!
I've enjoyed the Charles Tyrwhitt shirts I've purchased. The level of quality is pleasing, with niceties like reinforced gussets and brass collar stays, and they offer a fair amount of customization (fit, sleeve length, choice of pocket or no pocket, French or standard cuffs, etc.). The attention to detail just stands out, and their prices are good, too. Recommended.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm

sid hartha wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am
It's not the shirt fabric it's what they treat it with. Formaldehyde etc. The non-iron pinpoints from BB gave me a rash, even after repeated washings. It only bothers a limited # of people apparently. Most don't have an issue. Unfortunately I guess I have very sensitive skin.
I've become interested in clothing chemicals ever since getting a pair of strong chemical-smelling jeans. I think the odor was due to the dye or dye fixative, but formaldehyde lurks in a lot of fabrics, especially those from countries like China where there are no/limited standards. Clothing made in Japan is apparently the safest:
There is a variation in different country’s standards for formaldehyde release from textile finishes. Japan has the highest standards at 75 ppm for formaldehyde-releasing resin, compared with 300 ppm in the US. Some US manufacturers are now using newer low formaldehyde or ‘no-formaldehyde’ finishes.

Companies which the authors found that claim to use low-formaldehyde resins in “dress” clothes include Japanese manufacturers & American companies that market in Japan where they adhere to the stricter Japanese standards.

US Companies that Market in Japan: Gap; Talbots; J. Crew; Coromo, Inc; Avatal U.S.; Vermont Country Store.

Companies that adhere to Japanese Standard: Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic; Eddie Bauer; Liz Claiborne; Levi Strauss

http://www.asehaqld.org.au/index.php/co ... n-clothing
Getting rid of chemical odors is easy. (I did it with my odorific jeans and will be providing an update soon on my jeans purchases.) Getting rid of formaldehyde OTOH is hard, and there is some evidence that soaking clothing in water containing 1/4 to 1/2 cup (or more) of powdered milk may help. Apparently, the casein (milk protein) binds with formaldehyde and helps remove it.

It's better to avoid formaldehyde altogether and one way to do that (aside from buying Japanese) is to get clothes that aren't cotton "blends". There are a lot of articles explaining which types of clothes are best. Ironically, 100% synthetics like polyester are considered safe. But if they're blended with cotton, that's a different story.
The American Contact Dermatitis Society states that rayon, blended cotton, corduroy, wrinkle-resistant 100% cotton, and any synthetic blended polymer are likely to have been treated with formaldehyde resins. Women's clothing also includes lingerie and undergarments.

Fabrics safe to wear: 100% silk, 100% linen (if it wrinkles easy), 100% polyester, 100% acrylic, 100% nylon, spandex, flannel (soft), wool (may cause irritation) and denim.

Do not wear these fabrics: Permanent press, wrinkle resistant, color-fast, stain-resistant, blends (including rayon, polyester-cotton), corduroy or shrink-proof wool.

https://www.cottonique.com/blogs/blog/2 ... connection
Good luck with your purchases.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:19 pm

azurekep wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm
sid hartha wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am
It's not the shirt fabric it's what they treat it with. Formaldehyde etc. The non-iron pinpoints from BB gave me a rash, even after repeated washings. It only bothers a limited # of people apparently. Most don't have an issue. Unfortunately I guess I have very sensitive skin.
I've become interested in clothing chemicals ever since getting a pair of strong chemical-smelling jeans. I think the odor was due to the dye or dye fixative, but formaldehyde lurks in a lot of fabrics, especially those from countries like China where there are no/limited standards. Clothing made in Japan is apparently the safest:
There is a variation in different country’s standards for formaldehyde release from textile finishes. Japan has the highest standards at 75 ppm for formaldehyde-releasing resin, compared with 300 ppm in the US. Some US manufacturers are now using newer low formaldehyde or ‘no-formaldehyde’ finishes.

Companies which the authors found that claim to use low-formaldehyde resins in “dress” clothes include Japanese manufacturers & American companies that market in Japan where they adhere to the stricter Japanese standards.

US Companies that Market in Japan: Gap; Talbots; J. Crew; Coromo, Inc; Avatal U.S.; Vermont Country Store.

Companies that adhere to Japanese Standard: Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic; Eddie Bauer; Liz Claiborne; Levi Strauss

http://www.asehaqld.org.au/index.php/co ... n-clothing
Getting rid of chemical odors is easy. (I did it with my odorific jeans and will be providing an update soon on my jeans purchases.) Getting rid of formaldehyde OTOH is hard, and there is some evidence that soaking clothing in water containing 1/4 to 1/2 cup (or more) of powdered milk may help. Apparently, the casein (milk protein) binds with formaldehyde and helps remove it.

It's better to avoid formaldehyde altogether and one way to do that (aside from buying Japanese) is to get clothes that aren't cotton "blends". There are a lot of articles explaining which types of clothes are best. Ironically, 100% synthetics like polyester are considered safe. But if they're blended with cotton, that's a different story.
The American Contact Dermatitis Society states that rayon, blended cotton, corduroy, wrinkle-resistant 100% cotton, and any synthetic blended polymer are likely to have been treated with formaldehyde resins. Women's clothing also includes lingerie and undergarments.

Fabrics safe to wear: 100% silk, 100% linen (if it wrinkles easy), 100% polyester, 100% acrylic, 100% nylon, spandex, flannel (soft), wool (may cause irritation) and denim.

Do not wear these fabrics: Permanent press, wrinkle resistant, color-fast, stain-resistant, blends (including rayon, polyester-cotton), corduroy or shrink-proof wool.

https://www.cottonique.com/blogs/blog/2 ... connection
Good luck with your purchases.
Thank you for all the information. Yes I stick to 100% non treated cotton shirts.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Brooks Brothers, especially their Egyptian cotton, is high quality. I can't speak to their outlet store stuff. Dress shirts come in different weaves(broadcloth, herringbone, twill, oxford). One is not necessarily better than the other depending on the look and feel you want, but some weaves may be more durable than others.

namekevaste

Post by namekevaste » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Several MTM shirt makers outsource to Hong Kong. Some, such as mytailor.com will have visiting tailors who will take measurements. Their itineraries are posted online, or you can get on their mailing list. It takes a while to get the shirts made (mine took over 4 weeks) - however, the fit is perfect and since they keep your measurements and preferences (cuff, collar, pocket) it is easy to get new ones made. They have exceptional choice of fabrics.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 am

golfCaddy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm
Brooks Brothers, especially their Egyptian cotton, is high quality. I can't speak to their outlet store stuff. Dress shirts come in different weaves(broadcloth, herringbone, twill, oxford). One is not necessarily better than the other depending on the look and feel you want, but some weaves may be more durable than others.
Thanks. The BB outlet store dress shirts are entirely non-iron. So I can't wear them. Other than that the quality is not bad. Personally I would just wait until they have the 4 shirts for $199 at the retail store because on the retail dress shirts you can get exact sleeve lengths. At the outlet everything is 32/33 etc. with the 2 buttons on the cuff. I have not tried the BB Egyptian cotton but I did order a few Egyptian cotton Charles Tyrwhitt derss shirts and they are very nice.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 am

NYCguy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pm
Just ordered five proper cloth dress shirts this weekend. Their product is terrific.
I created a profile but haven't ordered anything. Don't really need anything at the moment after my goodwill haul but will keep this in mind for the future. One concern I have is that they say they add material for shrinkage. I am wondering since I don't use the dryer if this would be a problem for me. I have never had a dress shirt shrink on me.

ram

Post by ram » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 pm

Kenkat wrote:

I find ready made dress shirts ill fitting and itchy. I buy 100% cotton cloth and have dress shirts stitched by a tailor. I wash them at home and our maid irons them at home. The 'per day' or 'per wear' cost of these shirts is not very high and I still have some 10 year old shirts.

I think the 100% cotton and launder at home without any additives is probably the most important part to avoid the rash/itch.
Ram

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am

ram wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 pm
Kenkat wrote:

I find ready made dress shirts ill fitting and itchy. I buy 100% cotton cloth and have dress shirts stitched by a tailor. I wash them at home and our maid irons them at home. The 'per day' or 'per wear' cost of these shirts is not very high and I still have some 10 year old shirts.

I think the 100% cotton and launder at home without any additives is probably the most important part to avoid the rash/itch.
Not only that, I have found that laundering at home greatly extends the life of a dress shirt.