Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pennstater2005

Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Obviously piggybacking off of the popular Netflix favorite show thread.....

I recently switched from Netflix to Hulu. I have found a few shows I like to watch on Hulu. Baskets, The Goldbergs, Key and Peele and a few others. My problem is the user interface on the Roku I have isn't great. It's not easy to search for shows. So, any recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

DSInvestor

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Hulu did a big change to their user interface a few months back and it's much harder to browse content because they show only one title at a time. I have used hulu on Roku 3, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone and the UI is bad on all of those devices. You can try logging on to hulu.com on your computer to browse for content.

Give these a try: Handmaid's Tale, This is Us
Last edited by DSInvestor on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Chance
Dimension 404 (a somewhat rip-off of Black Mirror over on Netflix, but I still liked it)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Blackish has some really funny episodes and some that are so so.

Shut eye is pretty good, its kind of like a USA "characters welcome" type show about a gypsy crime syndicate.

We have watched the entire Deep Space 9 series again except for the series finale and its a lot better than I remembered as a kid.

The new HULU UI does look better and it is better if you just want to watch the next show in your series but if you have a longer list of shows you watch or want to look for specific episodes then it sucks.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Part of the reason I switched to Hulu, for now, was because I was out of stuff on Netflix. The other part was the auto preview on the Roku of Netflix shows. It drove me crazy and there was no way to turn it off. I'm not talking about the autoplay feature. That was fine.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. The Handmaid's Tale is intriguing. I've caught bits and pieces of black-ish when it's been on OTA.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

douginct

Post by douginct » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

I wonder if there is a single subscriber who likes the revamped Hulu user interface. Personally I think it’s horrible.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm

douginct wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm
I wonder if there is a single subscriber who likes the revamped Hulu user interface. Personally I think it’s horrible.
It's bad. But I do enjoy the new and differing content versus Netflix.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm

My suggestion is to use a computer or tablet to identify shows and then put it in the My Stuff folder.

The Lineup will give suggestions based on past viewing.

If you like Goldbergs, you will probably like Fresh off the Boat.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 pm

I found Superstore and it's fairly funny. The Handmaid's Tale is sort of brutal to watch.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Hulu has all 15 seasons of the medical drama ER now. That's over 330 episodes :shock:

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm

My wife binge-watches "Brooklyn Nine Nine" on Hulu. We also enjoy "Shark Tank" and "Total Divas" (don't judge).
"Stay the course" | http://tenfactorialrocks.com/the-dog-years-of-investing/

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 pm

We love a ton of British comedies available on Hulu:

Peep Show
Toast of London
The Mighty Boosh
Pramface

are a few of our favorites.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Geneyus wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm
My wife binge-watches "Brooklyn Nine Nine" on Hulu. We also enjoy "Shark Tank" and "Total Divas" (don't judge).
Brooklyn Nine Nine looks pretty funny. Not sure about Total Divas :wink:

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:53 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm
Geneyus wrote:
I don't watch it for the plot and banter, but I think my wife does. :beer
"Stay the course" | http://tenfactorialrocks.com/the-dog-years-of-investing/

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm

supersharpie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 pm
We love a ton of British comedies available on Hulu:

Peep Show
Toast of London
The Mighty Boosh
Pramface

are a few of our favorites.
Thanks! We were subscribed to Acorn TV for a couple months through the Roku and enjoyed a few British shows namely Doc Martin. We did for the most recent season which wasn’t on Netflix. It’s only $4.99/month and they have tons of Britain, New Zealand, Canadian, and Australian tv shows.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Geneyus wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:53 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm
Geneyus wrote:
I don't watch it for the plot and banter, but I think my wife does. :beer
Ahhhh...got ya!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 pm

With my FREE HULU on out "family" Sprint cell phone plan, I am going through Law and Order SVU episode by episode. Now on season 7.

Watch either on my Moto 4 smartphone or desktop.

After I do the Law and Order SVU - I will probably watch Will and Grace (starting in 1998 episodes).

queso

Post by queso » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for the tips. Just got Hulu a week ago specifically to watch Handmaid since it won several awards. As a long time Netflix user I am not too impressed so far. Handmaid was good (albeit deeply disturbing at times), but Netflix has a pretty outstanding lineup of original content so I'll have to be pretty impressed with Hulu to keep it beyond the trial period. My biggest issue with it is that the app on my smart tv hangs up about 50% of the time when it tries to launch a commercial so I have to bounce out and back in again. My wifi is blazing fast and we stream Netflix, FiOS on demand, online games on Xbox Live, etc. without a problem so I know it is the Hulu app and not my wifi. I'm not sure Hulu has the content for me to justify upping to the commercial free version, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestions!

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm

queso wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm
Thanks for the tips. Just got Hulu a week ago specifically to watch Handmaid since it won several awards. As a long time Netflix user I am not too impressed so far. Handmaid was good (albeit deeply disturbing at times), but Netflix has a pretty outstanding lineup of original content so I'll have to be pretty impressed with Hulu to keep it beyond the trial period. My biggest issue with it is that the app on my smart tv hangs up about 50% of the time when it tries to launch a commercial so I have to bounce out and back in again. My wifi is blazing fast and we stream Netflix, FiOS on demand, online games on Xbox Live, etc. without a problem so I know it is the Hulu app and not my wifi. I'm not sure Hulu has the content for me to justify upping to the commercial free version, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestions!
You can upgrade your free trial to the no commercials version. That's what I did. It was unwatchable with even limited commercials. Hulu's interface is not great but I've been finding some good content.