Men's no iron dress shirt recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
markfaix

Men's no iron dress shirt recommendations

Post by markfaix » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Looking for recommendations on men's no iron dress shirts. I wear a blazer and dress shirt to work every day and prefer not to pay for dry cleaning. This is what I've tried. Would appreciate any other suggestions:

Nordstrom: excellent for non-solid colors, but solid white/blue shirts wrinkle free lasts only 1-2 washes.

Lands End: Not wrinkle free on multiple purchases even after 1st wash

Jos. Bank: Wrinkle free lasts only 5-10 washes

Brooks Brothers: excellent when I bought 5 years ago, but now run >$100. Willing to pay, but is the quality still there?

eye.surgeon

Re: Men's no iron dress shirt recommendations

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm

nordstrom or brooks brothers are the best non iron in my opinion.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I just bought one at "Untuckit", seems very nice so far

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm amazed that Land's End can get a no iron shirt (or any shirt) so completely wrinkled! It really is an amazing accomplishment of wrinkles!
Don't Work Forever.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm

BB always has sales, so if you are paying $100 a shirt, then you are doing something wrong. Not everyone's body looks good in a BB shirt though.

If you see a colleague that has a nice shirt, why not ask them?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:44 pm

I have had very good luck with Stafford brand. I think I get them at JC Penney's or Macy's, can't remember which. Dry them on the gentle/wrinkle free setting and take them out while spinning for best results! I have also learned to keep the neck buttoned in the dryer to avoid those burnt stains from the collar tips getting stuck in gaps in the felt ring.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Brooks Brothers for me without hesitation. Definitely look for sales where you can get the per shirt price down around $60.

I've also tried Charles Thyrwit...the no-wrinkle aspect is on par with BB but they don't fit me as comfortably.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 pm

I got Calvin Klein non-iron dress shirt for $30 and Banana Republic for $25 after all sales & coupons. Banana Republic has higher quality and looks better.

Update: CK shirts have been lasting 4-5 years on average. Since two CK shirts showed noticeable wear & tear, I had to get 2 new BR shirts. I expect BR shirts to last 5 years.
Last edited by H-Town on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm

I buy shirts from Paul Frederick and have never ironed any of them in all these years. The oldest shirt is probably close to eight or nine years old.

Atom

Post by Atom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Charles Tyrwhitt. I have shirts that are >5 yrs old and still wrinkle-free with regular wear for under $50 (frequently on sale). Shirts also come with bronze collar stays.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm

markfaix wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Brooks Brothers: excellent when I bought 5 years ago, but now run >$100. Willing to pay, but is the quality still there?
No, the quality is not. I received a pair of Brooks Brothers dress shirts a couple of years ago, and both of them fell apart before the 1 year mark. Unacceptable for a shirt that expensive. Meanwhile, the cheapo $25 Van Heusen shirts I bought at a discount store are still going strong after 4 years of regular weekly wear. Same washing machine, same dryer.

misterno

Post by misterno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Go to ebay

you wont pay more than 20-25 fir Dockers which is the best

ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm

LL Bean for solid-color oxfords.

Their heavy weight ones have excellent fabric and survive many washings.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Brooks Brothers frequently go on sale 4/$199. I've found their non-iron finish to hold up the best.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

BB on sale (should be able to secure them for $50 or less), or Charles Tyrwhitt. Watch out for BB outlet wear, though, as it's not the same quality (often similar-looking but different product lines), and will not last nearly as well.

fittan

Post by fittan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Banana republic for me. Each dress shirt list price is about $80 each. But they run so many promotions that you can get them for around $35 (fair price). When I am at store I would look at the clearance section and sometimes you can get one for $15+. Once you know your size and fit (Camden or Grant), it is easy to shop going forward.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Mostly use Joseph a banks traveler . Typically will take them to laundry, have them do light starch, and wear them several times at work and hang up at home. I always wear undershirt. They do get a bit wrinkled in the back or wear you tuck in (if you tuck in) but the amount of wrinkles are about what you get by the time you commute in from work sitting in car or sitting in office chair.

I’d like to find a way I could quickly steam them to knock out the minor wrinkles.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Banana Republic. There's always a 30 - 50% off sale; too spendy without it. Relatively wrinkle-free and pretty color-fast until the shirts start to fray -- I'm sure I have some with close to 100 washes. Note: you must take them out of dryer immediately and hang them, but I assume that this applies to all wrinkle-free. They will never look starched-crisp but they have a soft look and feel (and neat-looking collar) that works with a nice suit or without. I've stopped wearing all my other dress shirts and I can't remember the last time I professionally laundered a shirt. And I'm more comfortable.

I have had a couple Charles T[however you spell it] and they're OK, too, but the cut I got -- their skimpiest -- was too snug and they were too sheer. Have been meaning to try again.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I wear the Brooks Brothers shirts every single day. I probably buy a handful of shirts each year to add to the rotation, always on sale for $40-$60. You just missed the best sale of the year after Christmas, if I remember correctly.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:48 pm

ArcticMike wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm

+1

I'm retired so I don't wear a dress shirt that often. I have 3 or 4 of the L.L. Bean shirts and love them. I can wear one out to dinner on Sat night, again to church the next day, to a concert or something another night and it still looks good. I generally put it in the laundry basket after that because the neck is starting to look a bit soiled, not because the shirt doesn't still look crisp.
Friar1610

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 pm

My husband has LL Bean, Joseph Banks Travelers, Brooks Brother and Charles Tyrwhitt. We felt LL Bean lost its wrinkle free the fastest so quit buying them. For us, Joseph A Banks Traveler works the best.

For any of them, get on their email lists. Best prices for Charles Tyrwhitt and Joseph A Banks seem to be under $40 and Brooks Brother under $50. These prices do require multiple items to be purchased.

Also, make sure you optimize washer and dryer settings. This can make a big difference.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:36 pm

markfaix wrote:

Brooks Brothers has regular sales. If you are making a larger purchase, you can call and they will set aside what you want until you get there to pick it up. They might even deliver or mail it, I'm not sure about that. There have been some periods over the years when the quality of their shirts has been somewhat inconsistent, with multiple buttons falling off and other flaws, and they changed the pattern when they started selling the 100% cotton no-iron shirts, but the quality has been fine for a while now.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EzM

Post by EzM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Van Heusen Men's Traveler shirts are the only shirts I buy right now until I find other brands.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:24 pm

I haven't found any brands that cause issue. All of the way from cheap Kohl's ones to Brooks Brothers. The key is to pull it out of the dryer the MINUTE it stops, or use wrinkle guard.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:27 pm

I want to make sure you're using the Jos. Banks Traveler line and not some of the other lines that they call "wrinkle free." The traveler shirts last me a LONG time and keep their "no iron" status. The other ones not so much. Best of luck though -- if you find something great I hope you'll tell us.

snugharbor

Post by snugharbor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Check out Costco dress shirts. Husband's shirts still looking good after many washings.

seashell

Post by seashell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:40 pm

JC Penny Men's stafford shirts

I stick them in the washing machine then dryer and they come out perfect each time. No wrinkles, no ironing. Just wash, dry, hang.
Very easy, no fuss.

seashell

Post by seashell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:42 pm

PS Go to the store and make sure you get the thicker fabric shirts.

For some reason, they make shirts that are really thin. These are no good. But the stafford shirts with the thicker fabric are great.

oslocal

Post by oslocal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Very happy with Charles Tyrwhitt (ctshirts). You should be able to get 3 for $100 incl shipping (from England, no tax). Try a few different google searches and devices - they always have some promotion going on.

The best guide to finding your fit is:
http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-review/

It is the only place for cheap I have found that reasonably fits, and it fits really well. I have small neck but very long arms.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Brooks Brothers, but be aware that shirts from the store are a better quality than some of those online and certainly those at BB outlets. Sizing is different as well, especially regarding sleeve lengths.

I've had good results from Costco but their color selection has been horrible for the last couple of years. Priced at about $18? Not BB, but a very close 2nd for me. Given the price difference with BB I'd recommend trying some.

Charles Tyrwhitt have not turned out well for me. I bought a set of 3 on sale and was very impressed. I bought a 2nd set of three. After a few months the shirts are all limp, the collars don't stand up. IMO, not a quality shirt.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 pm

ArcticMike wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm

+2, I wear mostly LL Bean heavy weight solid colors and a couple tattersails. The trick is to take them out of the dryer right at end of cycle or just before when they are slightly damp, hanger them and they stay nice and pressed. I wear business casual (no tie). These are warm shirts so if you live in a hot, muggy climate like FL, I would not recommend.

Note: you can order them for neck size and sleeve length.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 pm

I don't only wash, dry, hang, and wear but also am often washing, drying, hanging, then, packing, traveling, unpacking, hanging, and then wearing. I find that with jos.a.bank traveler shirts when I hang them up after being packed the wrinkles tend to easily fall out over night. With BB and other brands this doesn't always happen forcing me to get out the iron in the morning.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sawyer_sully

Post by sawyer_sully » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 pm

markfaix wrote:
Looking for recommendations on men's no iron dress shirts. I wear a blazer and dress shirt to work every day and prefer not to pay for dry cleaning. This is what I've tried. Would appreciate any other suggestions:

Nordstrom: excellent for non-solid colors, but solid white/blue shirts wrinkle free lasts only 1-2 washes.

If you are wearing a dress shirt with a blazer to work every day, it is worth investing more in nicer shirts. Brooks Brothers still makes high quality clothes, and has frequent sales. I believe their brick-and-mortar locations can provide help with fitting and maintenance. No company has the heritage and quality of Brooks Brothers, and you cannot go wrong with them.

sawyer_sully

Post by sawyer_sully » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 pm

markfaix wrote:

If you are wearing a dress shirt with a blazer to work every day, it is worth investing more in nicer shirts. Brooks Brothers still makes high quality clothes, and has frequent sales. I believe their brick-and-mortar locations can provide help with fitting and maintenance. No company has the heritage and quality of Brooks Brothers, and you cannot go wrong with them.

FraggleRock

iron?

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 am

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am

Have you considered Everlane? I am in love with their sweaters, jeans (LOVE their jeans - real denim!!), and Italian-made shoes. I have not tried their shirts, but plan to.

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-shirt-shop
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:00 am

I am tall and lean and have trouble getting the right sleeve length without a lot of loose shirt in the body area so I tend to stick to what fits when I find it.
I have been very happy with the Jos Banks "Traveller" dress shirts.
These are the only dress shirt I wear to work any more.
I subscribe to email offers and only buy when on-sale.
They are a good value when bought on sale.
Downside is that styles and colors can be limited depending on your size.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:53 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am
Have you considered Everlane? I am in love with their sweaters, jeans (LOVE their jeans - real denim!!), and Italian-made shoes. I have not tried their shirts, but plan to.

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-shirt-shop
I don't see a non-iron shirt line on their website though.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 am

aristotelian wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:44 pm
I have had very good luck with Stafford brand. I think I get them at JC Penney's or Macy's, can't remember which. Dry them on the gentle/wrinkle free setting and take them out while spinning for best results! I have also learned to keep the neck buttoned in the dryer to avoid those burnt stains from the collar tips getting stuck in gaps in the felt ring.
Penney's for Stafford brand. Love their wrinkle free oxford shirts.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 am

Brooks brothers +1, best option is to try shirts on at a store because the fit/size can be non intuitive (at least for sport shirts). I prefer their typical material to things like Brookscool and prepare for wrinkle fest if you go with Egyptian cotton over the no iron

If you have a discovercard and have accumulated cash back, Buy brooks brothers gift cards with your cash back and you get $100 value for $80. I mostly use other cards but get enough spend on the discover when they do bonus cash back to refresh 4-6 shirts a year or so

Spedward

Post by Spedward » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 am

I have a collection of shirts, perhaps 40 or 50; a majority of which are B.B. Some are as old as 10 years old and still look crisp. The key is in how you wash. Can’t comment on that but I am sure my wife does something magical. I think she washes in cold water only in a small load with nothing else. Maybe 5 shirsts at a time. Also light on the detergent, as that can be harsh on clothes. I think I have had maybe 2 or 3 BB that have ripped or fallen appart, not including the times I have snagged them or something of the sort. I have tried all of the others as well. Personally I think the only ones comparable to B.B. is CT, however as someone said, they fit different.

As many said, you c an get deals. Also, check with your company to see if they are part of B.B. corporate discount program. I think it gives you an additional 15% off and the. They bump it up to 25% multiple times a year.

I have also have a couple of very expensive shirts. They are all awful for daily wear.

Fit something that fits well. B.B. has multi cuts so I am sure there is something, and don’t pay more than 50 a pop.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 am

aristotelian wrote:
+1, have been using Stafford for several years. No Ironing needed.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am

Another vote for L.L. Bean. Their shirts usually run ~$50, but if you snag a sale you can find them for $25. I have some shirts from them that are 5 years old. Still feel solid, look like new and come out of the dryer wrinkle-free.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am

parsi1 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 am
aristotelian wrote:
+1, have been using Stafford for several years. No Ironing needed.
I used to have these but I felt they were cheap in feel and look compared to a quality shirt.

aspiringlawyer

Post by aspiringlawyer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 am

I’d look into twillory. They have quality shirts you can get online and the shirts fit well plus most are non-iron. Look for the first time discount and you can get two shirts for $50 each.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 am

Another vote for Charles Tyrwhitt. I'm a fairly athletic guy, aka skinny.

I have lands end shirts, and agree, the iron free isn't really iron free. Not to mention they are heavy. They do last forever though, I only own 3 Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and want to buy more but these lands end shirts just last forever and I can't see giving them up until they wear out. Sure I have to iron them but besides that they look sharp.

oktax

Post by oktax » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

I haven't tried Charles Tyrwhitt but would like to. I have, however, recently purchased a few Twillory non-iron shirts. I like them a lot. The fit and feel is great. They also run deals where if you buy several at a time, you get a significant discount on the price.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm

CHARLES TYRWHITT. close thread

When you buy them correctly with coupons (watch for them on Slickdeals) you can get them around $30-35 per shirt shipped. No better value in my opinion. They have a wide range of sizes, exact sleeve lengths, come with brass collar stays, and the fabric is really nice. If you live in a big city where they have a store, go there and try a bunch on to know whether you are Slim, Extra Slim, Regular, etc. Slim and Extra Slim compare to others' "tailored". Tyrwhitt also had an AWESOME return policy of 6 months. Free return shipping. I think they just changed it to charging $5.95 for return shipping but will do exchanges for free. I had 8 shirts and wore them for 5 months and then decided after visiting a store that I really wanted to be in Extra Slim instead of Slim, and I shipped them all back for free and they sent 8 new shirts in the new size for free. I know a bit aggressive on my part but I don't plan to do that switch again now that I know my true size, and I am now even more loyal to them for their customer service.

Costco USED TO BE GOOD....but they stink now. They used to have exact sleeve lengths, now they have average (eg 34/35 instead of 35). Their fabric is not as good as it used to be and wrinkles a lot. On my Tyrwhitts I can just hang them in the closet and much of the wrinkling will hang itself out over a few days. The old Costco shirts were just pretty baggy though. They now have "tailored" which is better, but again comes with the above negatives.

I like Lands End too, but their range of patterns is now more limited, and they "waste" a lot of their slots on some wacky patterns and colors that I don't really think work for down the middle people like myself. Plus their "tailored" is still on the generous side, so if you want something nice and fitted you need to go Slim and they don't have many options.

I haven't had Brooks Brothers in a long while. I know they have good shirts but I would rather buy Charles Tyrwhitts at $30 vs Brooks Brothers at $75-80

jminv

Post by jminv » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm

I wear Proper Cloth shirts and they have no iron options. The quality is great but the main reason I buy is for the (relatively) inexpensive customization/quality ratio. The shirt fits me exactly, I should have gone with them earlier.