Anyone disenchanted with retirement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Anyone disenchanted with retirement?

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Just hit 7 years in retirement and things seem to be going fast, but well for me. Was wondering if anyone has been disappointed with retirement and maybe went back to work, and went did that hit?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

munemaker

Re: Anyone disenchanted with retirement?

Post by munemaker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm
Just hit 7 years in retirement and things seem to be going fast, but well for me. Was wondering if anyone has been disappointed with retirement and maybe went back to work, and went did that hit?
Almost a year in and I am loving it. No plans of looking for a job.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:17 pm

My retirement was mainly made necessary by things happening with my mother and brother in our household so I sometimes wish for the old days back,and especially now that my old Foremen/supervisor (from the Valley,his dad was a B&O Railroad Engineer) is no longer living (he retired a year before I did)(Taught me how to use the chainsaws) Valley=Charlestown WV,Winchester,Harper's Ferry,Strasburg etc. Clear Brook? (VA)
Still go to the Retired Employees' Association luncheons when I can (the County has 401/457 plans offering funds including from Vanguard and T. Rowe Price and at I believe reasonably low price for such plans) and the representatives from that "Deferred Comp." plan usually come to the luncheons/meetings.
The funds seem to be doing all right and I enjoy seeing the reps or even sitting at the same table with them,if the County shook things up too much or changed to a different provider I would probably just roll out and over into an IRA to add to my Vanguard accounts.
Last edited by Wakefield1 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Disenchanted with retirement?

No . . . . . actually,
HELL NO.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Retired at 58 because I could when I ran the numbers, that was 2.5 years ago.....work is sooooo over rated...lol

Do not know how I would fit work into the schedule!

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Retired in 2014 from a good paying military contracting job, have received several invitations to go back to work with my previous team. Thanks but no thanks. I am having fun, staying physically and mentally busy, and my portfolio continues to grow in retirement (withdrawal and spending rate during retiment is zero -- what is there not to like?). Good luck with your retirement, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Your Money, Your Portfolio, Your Decision ~

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:45 pm

I was surprised when I saw the response count.
Then I read them.
Whoever went back to work, doen't have time to post here, at least not mid-afternoon on a weekday.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 pm

I get disappointed anyday I have anything on my schedule. I love it. Will be 2 years in April.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

About 10 months into retirement, my former employer needed help. I agreed to return as a contractors for 4-6 weeks, at an hourly rate about 3x my former salary. That 4-6 week assignment stretched out to 10 months, and then I re-retired.

After 10 months of retirement, followed by 10 months working four 10-hour days each week, I learned a lesson. No more working for me.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Still early days for me (not quite a year). No surprises yet; I miss some of the good aspects (interesting projects, good people), and am glad to be shed of the bad aspects (annoying commute, too many conference calls with a 12 hour time difference). I've thought of doing some random work for entertainment purposes (maybe Uber or event ushering), but our travel schedule is likely to be pretty full for the next few years and I've got some medium-sized projects I'm looking forward to doing around the house in between trips.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Just passed the one-year mark last Wednesday. So far so good, content being a househusband while DW continues to pile up pension points and contributes to her 401k.
:greedy
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm
No. LOL NO.

My employer asked me to work part time as a contractor after I retired. That lasted 4 weeks until I said "No thanks". I don't miss it at all.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm closing in on three years and have zero inclination to do paid work of any kind.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 pm

On and off retirement since 2011. Went back to consulting for only 10 months (was suppose to be 6). They asked again last year but I declined.

Love my own schedule: volunteer one day per week (Paying It Forward) and plenty of exercises 3 days/week to stay fit. Wake up when I want to. There is no more politics or senseless meetings, and no performance report to justify.

Hello no. :twisted:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm

As a self-employed businessman, yes. At first. But it's getting better.
Though there's always the temptation to get into the R/E game again. It's been good to me.
I suspect my feelings would be different if I was an employee or wage earner for most of my working years because of the lack of autonomy vs being self employed.

Actionably: The focus is now on applying Bogle Concepts as efficiently as possible. When treated as a profession just as in my working years, I feel that this is a sound way to maximize my investment finance picture and secure my retirement even further.

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm

No . . . . . actually,
HELL NO.
Ditto. Hard to believe I've been retired already for 3.5 years. Only problem seems to be that my face hurts sometimes from smiling so much.

b4real

Post by b4real » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Retired 3 years. Love this laid back, do what I want when I want lifestyle. No regrets.

tm3

Post by tm3 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm

My informal polling suggests that around 10-15% of folks end up being not happy with retirement.

Why is that? No doubt that individual situations differ, but an overly simplified way of looking at it is that having a plan is crucial.

Expecting to wake up to unicorns and rainbows on retirement day #1 is a set up for a fall.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:00 pm

So when I told my boss I was retiring the begging started. First it was from the owner of the company I worked for, and then later when my boss left and went to a new job he started trying to get me out of retirement for a new position.

I did relent a little and sign a 1 year consulting contract with my original company. What I was doing was pretty original work so I could see that they would have some questions. I only clocked 5-10 hours a month. Boy was I glad when that ran out.

Now I am 5 years in. No inkling of a desire to do any more. I am done.

Case59

Post by Case59 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm

I retired at age 60 (with a transitioning out the prior two years), so I'm retired about six years now. Still loving it, active with hobbies and volunteer work that's more meaningful than my job ever was, lots of travel. It's been great!
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Retired more than 2 years already, time went by fast and faster. Somehow, I get more gray hair now then when I was working, I still don’t know why.
The only problem I’ve found is that I get incredibly lazy, only managed to get rid of 1/10 of our garage. I don’t know when I will get them done.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 pm

NINETEEN YEARS AND WANT FOR NOTHING AND HAVING MORE THAN WHEN THIS THING STARTED?? NO
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 pm

DanMahowny wrote:

No . . . . . actually,
HELL NO.
LOL!!! I totally agree!🙂

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm

This post is not for me. I still have over 2 decades to retire. Only wanted to get something out. I am sick of the rat race! I want to get out of it as soon as possible! My job is not stressful, commuting is relatively short, my boss is nice, I work on spreadsheets and I love spreadsheets! But man, I hate this alarm at 6:30 am during the winter! I am not a morning guy, and I fail to understand why they force people to work in pre set schedules! Also I hate to have to stay till 5 pm even if I am done with work at 1 pm! This doesn't make sense and I hate it!
I tried so many employers, same thing, the problem is me.. I am too fast! I can't help it! What takes them 4 days to do, with some nesting formulas and a pivot table, it takes me 1 hour..
Thanks for hearing me out!!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:56 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm
This post is not for me. I still have over 2 decades to retire. Only wanted to get something out. I am sick of the rat race! I want to get out of it as soon as possible! My job is not stressful, commuting is relatively short, my boss is nice, I work on spreadsheets and I love spreadsheets! But man, I hate this alarm at 6:30 am during the winter! I am not a morning guy, and I fail to understand why they force people to work in pre set schedules! Also I hate to have to stay till 5 pm even if I am done with work at 1 pm! This doesn't make sense and I hate it!
I tried so many employers, same thing, the problem is me.. I am too fast! I can't help it! What takes them 4 days to do, with some nesting formulas and a pivot table, it takes me 1 hour..
Ahem! The pivot table! That brings back memory. :D

Melon, you just need to chill out and stop being a (normal) curve breaker. :D

When I was with the government, I also hated to leave at 5 pm. :oops:

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

GL.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm
+1 Me too.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Not in the least.
Never enough time in the day.
So much life to experience,
So little time. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Retired 1.5 years ago, when not travel overseas with DW and if a project pop up I will take it. I mostly love my job.
Otherwise retirement is wonderful, I get to do what and when I want it!

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 pm

I left a year ago with the intention of taking a year off, then doing part time consulting for a few years. Now I’m getting contacted by recruiters, and I’m not sure at all that I even want to talk to anyone about work. I really like the life I have now.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Well, I haven't convinced myself I'm retired yet. I tell folks I'm looking for the right situation. Wife says I'm retired. Been 7 months since I've been laid off. I love each & every day. I keep busy with ALL the house chores & duties. Walk or elliptical hour plus a day. Wife works.

I got called by a former associate that his employer was looking for somebody just like me. And they'd possibly consider me for part-time. So I applied, interviewed. Really a perfect fit for both sides. Got the vibe they really wanted full time. I think the job would be mine but I just could not go back to that. Been three weeks, so that ship sailed.

Money is holding up, still using severance & getting some inheritance money this year. No disenchantment here.
Too soon old, too late smart.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Well its been 4 years for me. Tried a little consulting the first year but really didn’t enjoy it. We have spent a little more than we anticipated but Mr. Market has also been kind. Still are positive it was the right time . Money has grown slightly so we have more than we started with. Life is good so far.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Coming up on three years and it's hard to think about a time when I would get up every day and go sacrifice so much of my life. Enchantment is when you're lost in your favorite non-fiction business book at your favorite cafe, glancing up every now and then to stare at the beauty of the drizzle and grey day outside. Then you amble home face up in the drizzle, using the umbrella only to shelter your books.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 pm

DanMahowny wrote:

No . . . . . actually,
HELL NO.
+1
There is a bridge tournament in town this week. That's much more fun than working. I've been retired for 13 years with no regrets.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:38 pm

I've a friend who's 84 still working for state.gov.,because he likes it.
Time & Tides wait for no one.

yakers

Post by yakers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

No, non, neyt, nix...you get the idea
Work was good, retirement is better :D

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:31 pm

tm3 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm
My informal polling suggests that around 10-15% of folks end up being not happy with retirement.

Why is that? No doubt that individual situations differ, but an overly simplified way of looking at it is that having a plan is crucial.
If your numbers are correct, my simple explanation is that at least 10-15% of people are unhappy no matter what they do.

I'm very happy. I had a plan when I retired in 2008. My life is very different today than I envisioned then. That's cool. The best laid plans of mice and men....
Last edited by protagonist on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Just hit two years this month. I had an inkling but no real idea of how enjoyable retirement would be, if I had known I would have worked and planned harder in order to retire a few years earlier.

I agree that a small percentage of people say they are miserable in retirement missing their careers/jobs/workplace but my guess is that they were actually miserable even when working, but did not have time or energy to notice because they were too stressed and busy with constant career/work and related issues. So in a sense they don't actually miss work, instead they miss being way too busy to notice their broken sense of well being and lack of a positive internal center/purpose.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 pm

cfs wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm
Retired in 2014 from a good paying military contracting job, have received several invitations to go back to work with my previous team. Thanks but no thanks. I am having fun, staying physically and mentally busy, and my portfolio continues to grow in retirement (withdrawal and spending rate during retiment is zero -- what is there not to like?). Good luck with your retirement, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
I am very happy to hear successful retirement stories. But this "withdrawal and spending rate during retiment is zero" makes me think that I have to work many many more years to achieve that level of SWR.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm

tm3 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Expecting to wake up to unicorns and rainbows on retirement day #1 is a set up for a fall.
I had a plan. Threw it out after a year of retirement and now doing something completely different from what I had anticipated retirement would be. The old plan was good, this one is better.

And it really is rainbows and unicorns... because my daughter makes me glitter unicorns and I spend more time with her now. But for that 10-15% it's obviously not. I disagree with the people who say you have to have a plan. That's what I said before I threw mine out. Now I change things up on the fly and it's great.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 pm

I am very happy to hear successful retirement stories. But this "withdrawal and spending rate during retiment is zero" makes me think that I have to work many many more years to achieve that level of SWR.
Knowing nothing of your financial situation, you have to realize that there are members of this forum who are rather obsessed with these things. Just look around you at all the retired people you know. Regular Americans who know nothing of 4% and think SWR means "standing wave ratio" or "strong white Russian"" or "single with romantic partner" . Ask them how happy they are, compared with when they were working. Ask them if they are "disenchanted with retirement". I imagine you would get the same responses.

Derby

Post by Derby » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm
I must know half a dozen people who have said this almost verbatim. I plan to be one of them a year from now. :mrgreen:
Carpe Diem.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 am

I have to think that the "data" is biased as people that live to work usually don't retire.

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 am

Count me as another HELL NO vote. I retired at 55 and for about a year afterward did some contract work for my ex-employer -- basically training my successor. Did that for about a year but got to the point where I was feeling just as stressed-out as I felt during my days as a regular worker. Then I was asked to attend some stupid meeting that had nothing to do with training my successor. I promptly sent an email to a couple of my contacts there and said I wasn't coming in anymore. I quit, and I've never looked back.

I'm 62 now and I've really enjoyed my freedom the past seven years. I'm free of work-related stress (and, due mainly to this forum, I'm free of financial stress as well). If I'd stayed on the job these past seven years, my pension would be much higher, and my investment portfolio would be about double what it is now. But I don't care. My freedom is more important to me.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

2comma

Post by 2comma » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:38 am

I envy the "love my work" people, wish I was one of them but I'm not. Had no great plan for retirement either but I have had some of life's best experiences without much of a plan. Four years in and absolutely no regrets. I've had money and no time, I've had time and no money, now I have both.
If I am stupid I will pay.

Txsman

Post by Txsman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 am

I retired at 60. They ask me back at 62 so I went back on contract. I like my job. Took off Nov and December. Planning to retire in February at 65 but they ask me to stay one more year. I told them no more 40 hour weeks, just 32 but pay me for 40. They said OK. I feel like I am retired. I only work on what I want to and can walk off whenever I want.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:50 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm
Retired at 58 because I could when I ran the numbers, that was 2.5 years ago.....work is sooooo over rated...lol

+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 am

Retired in 2008 at 55. I was asked if I wanted to come back due to other employees leaving. My answer was no thanks.

dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 am

Left my job in 2013 because I had serious conflicts with the people I worked with. Not sure if the fault was me or them but I did not want to waste time trying to figure it out. Fortunately I was covered by Medicare and was able to retire and live a decent life until my SS checks started to come in. Overall, I'd say retirement is a pleasant experience. I find that while working full time I was very efficient compared to how I spend my time now. Now mornings are spent reading a newspaper and surfing internet. Afternoons are not much more productive. I got a part-time job at the local golf course cutting grass a couple of days per week in the summer time. I enjoy spending time with the guys a few hours a week. Spending time by myself all the time does not work for me. Otherwise retired life is pretty easy to experience, but you can get real lazy pretty quick. Hope these comments are helpful.
Fond memories are the best investment

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:40 am

There are plusses and minuses, but the alarm clock was torture.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm
As a self-employed businessman, yes. At first. But it's getting better.
Though there's always the temptation to get into the R/E game again. It's been good to me.
I suspect my feelings would be different if I was an employee or wage earner for most of my working years because of the lack of autonomy vs being self employed.
Being on this board for awhile I would agree that this seems to be a big difference in folk's view on their job. The ability to control your own actions and schedule being self employed is golden. I worked in a group and now work on my own and can say there is a BIG difference in my view of work and likely my own desire to ever retire. Likely, I may never retire as I can work as much or as little as I want forever.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle