Availability of parking at Shade Grove Metro Station (D.C) around 9am tomorrow?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
katnok

Availability of parking at Shade Grove Metro Station (D.C) around 9am tomorrow?

Post by katnok »

We have a day trip planned from Hagerstown, MD area to downtown DC tomorrow (1/8/18). Planning on driving to Shady Grove Metro station, MD, then take the metro to downtown.

What are the chances of finding parking at Shady Grove Metro Station around 8.30-9am?

Thank you.
PFInterest

Re: Availability of parking at Shade Grove Metro Station (D.C) around 9am tomorrow?

Post by PFInterest »

That is a really esoteric question for bogleheads....
Jcraz13

Re: Availability of parking at Shade Grove Metro Station (D.C) around 9am tomorrow?

Post by Jcraz13 »

Whatever the parking situation, stay the course ! :sharebeer
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

about the same likelihood as the M25 being clear all the way to Heathrow....

hey, Livesoft, how likely is that?
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

You should probably be fine but not 100% guaranteed.

If it is all booked up, head down 270 a bit more and get off and park at Twinbrook.

See here: https://ggwash.org/view/38790/which-met ... ich-dont
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Jcraz13 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 pm Whatever the parking situation, stay the course ! :sharebeer
That's a good one.

In fact, staying the course (i.e. driving down all the way to downtown) is what we are going to do, if we run out of luck.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Nearing_Destination wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm about the same likelihood as the M25 being clear all the way to Heathrow....

The last time I tried to park at Shady Grove, I could not.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Nearing_Destination wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm about the same likelihood as the M25 being clear all the way to Heathrow....

I'm familiar with M25. Last time I drove on this motorway was 11 years ago. Traffic was terrible. I guess it's worse now.
canderson

Post by canderson »

It’s very unlikely.

Plus tomorrow will feature a pretty nasty little ice storm for the commute home. Going to be a rough day here in the midatlantic.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

blinx77 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:12 pm You should probably be fine but not 100% guaranteed.

If it is all booked up, head down 270 a bit more and get off and park at Twinbrook.

See here: https://ggwash.org/view/38790/which-met ... ich-dont
Yes, considered this option as well, but likely we may face the same problem with parking.
tiredguy

Post by tiredguy »

Is parking in Gaithersburg and taking the MARC in an option?
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

tiredguy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 pm Is parking in Gaithersburg and taking the MARC in an option?
Unfortunately, not. We won't get there on time to catch the last train.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

why do you park in a driveway, drive on the parkway and pay on the freeway?
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks »

PFInterest wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:51 pm That is a really esoteric question for bogleheads....
I feel like this forum always has someone who can answer any questions lol
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

katnok wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm familiar with M25. Last time I drove on this motorway was 11 years ago. Traffic was terrible. I guess it's worse now.
fortunately, the time we’d stayed in London, we didn’t have to take the M25 much—- stayed at the Intercontinental Park Lane, so only needed to get in via the A4 ; as for DC, most times I was there, I’d flown in through National and stayed in Crystal City so didn’t worry about the traffic
Breakaway72

Post by Breakaway72 »

Drive to Frederick. There is a MARC train/Express bus station behind the Target store. Plenty of parking (870 spaces). You can take a MARC train to Union Station in DC but it took 90 minutes last time I checked. You can take express bus to Shady Grove Metro station. Rush hour services only but it sure beats driving. Get details on the MTA web site.
denovo

Post by denovo »

katnok wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:06 pm We have a day trip planned from Hagerstown, MD area to downtown DC tomorrow (1/8/18). Planning on driving to Shady Grove Metro station, MD, then take the metro to downtown.

What are the chances of finding parking at Shady Grove Metro Station around 8.30-9am?

Thank you.
You guys are probably asleep, but I always figured the economics/convenience factor of taking the metro or driving and parking changed a lot if you are in a group of 4-5 people. Your fares (4 people x round trip) would probably be around the same as the cost of parking if you find a good deal through ParkingPanda or ParkWhiz.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I used to commute daily from Hagerstown to Bethesda (this was back in the early '70's). It wasn't nearly as bad as it is now....one big rolling parking lot! When we would go to the zoo or Smithsonian, we would go on the weekends. Traffic wasn't all that bad.
Good Luck with your trip...weather today might not help you...the two mountains are especially dangerous in the winter weather...be careful.
Have a great day,
Don
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm why do you park in a driveway, drive on the parkway and pay on the freeway?
Driveway: meant for driving a vehicle onto it for storage (long or short term)
Parkway: a road with park-like surroundings (trees and other assorted greenery)
Freeway: free of stoplights and stop signs.

There you go.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

samsoes wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 am
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm why do you park in a driveway, drive on the parkway and pay on the freeway?
Driveway: meant for driving a vehicle onto it for storage (long or short term)
Parkway: a road with park-like surroundings (trees and other assorted greenery)
Freeway: free of stoplights and stop signs.

There you go.
Been scratching my head...can't bring up the name of any road officially called a freeway that charges tolls. Although folks do often, erroneously, call a something that looks like a freeway a freeway even if it does collect tolls.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Thanks everyone.

We found a parking spot. Got here just about 9. There were still a good number of empty spots on the top of garage 2.