migrating from Chrome to LastPass for password management

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BeerTooth

migrating from Chrome to LastPass for password management

Post by BeerTooth » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm

I have finally admitted to myself that I have far too many weak and easily-guessed but hard-to-remember passwords

I'm looking for advice on how to make this transition as painless as possible

I have a TON of saved passwords that are saved in my Chrome browser (Smart-Lock feature) and sync-ed when I login to Gmail/google on my phone

My first question is: why doesn't Chrome/Firefox or any browser natively offer the features of LastPass? It seems like an obvious target for acquisition or stealing their thunder. Since Chrome is already storing passwords, why can't it encrypt them for me, generate strong passwords, etc? Or can it already do that?

Barring that built-in option, I will migrate to LastPass.

I downloaded the app on my iPhone, and installed the extension in my Chrome browser.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to migrate the saved Chrome passwords into LastPass. I can export them as a CSV, but importing them into LastPass has been difficult. I get a message about "installing the binary", then I'm prompted to type some Linux command line call, etc. I'm not sure if this is because I'm on a Chromebook?

Assuming I get that figured out, and I have everything in LastPass, how do I go through and replace weak passwords with strong passwords? Hopefully there is a way to tell LastPass to automatically send the request, so I don't have to manually visit every site and submit change password, etc?

F150HD

Re: migrating from Chrome to LastPass for password management

Post by F150HD » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 pm

HACK BRIEF: PASSWORD MANAGER LASTPASS GOT BREACHED HARD

2015, but.....still stuck in my mind.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:28 am

My strategy was to manually add and change the passwords for my most sensitive sites (email, financial), and then do the rest one by one whenever I logged in to that site. As far as I know you do need to manually change the password on each website.

Lots of threads on this site about Lastpass (and other managers) and threads about data breaches/online security.

james865

Post by james865 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am

There are many websites that LastPass can automatically change to a better password.

My strategy when I started using LastPass was to slowly update all my passwords as I used the individual websites. Three years later and all the websites I visit have been updated to highly complex passwords.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 am

james865 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am
There are many websites that LastPass can automatically change to a better password.
Sweet. Here's the list of supported sites.
https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/generating-a-password/#h2
It's not comprehensive, no banks for instance, but there are some good ones. There is also Pizzahut.com.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm

hahaha I'll be sure to select a double-super-secret password next time I order pizza!

So I'm realizing that the list of supported sites is not all that comprehensive, and subject to the whims of change if these tech companies ever decide they don't want to play nice together (or one of them acquires LastPass)

Running into a similar problem on iOS. Here is the list of supported apps:

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=8606

Lots of apps I've never heard of, but missing several that I log into daily.

So I will still need to create, manage and sync individual passwords at several sites, on top of my password manager. Is this really going to be easier?

pondering

Post by pondering » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Just having a list of sites you authenticate to can be helpful.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 am

TylerDavis wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm
Since Chrome is already storing passwords, why can't it encrypt them for me, generate strong passwords, etc? Or can it already do that?
Google Smart Lock already does that. You have to flip the enable-password-generation flag; it’s off by default. The passwords are encrypted using your Google password. (The older, local password storage in Chome was not as secure as Smart Lock.)

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm on a 30-day free trial for LastPass Premium. What are the features I will lose if I revert to Free after it expires?

Those who use LastPass and Chrome, do you leave Chrome password sync and Smart-Lock on, or turn it off? It seems like there is a pop-up dialog to update both LastPass and Chrome browser when I change a password.

There is a small subsets of passwords I need to share/sync with my wife. Do I need a Shared Folder to do that, or is there another way? Is this a Premium feature? I also see something called LastPass Families - is that an additional fee beyond Premium?

My home computer is a Chromebook which must be unlocked with my Google account, meaning the LP Vault will not be open yet. I can't remember or accurately type 4k6h7j8d84j6lk7l8l99l every time I need to use the Chromebook. How do I avoid using a weak password to unlock the screen?

Is is safe to check the Autologin box to websites in LastPass?

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 pm

TylerDavis wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm
Those who use LastPass and Chrome, do you leave Chrome password sync and Smart-Lock on, or turn it off? It seems like there is a pop-up dialog to update both LastPass and Chrome browser when I change a password.
I turned off and cleared all my smart lock passwords. Some websites got confused. You can set Chrome to stop asking.
My home computer is a Chromebook which must be unlocked with my Google account, meaning the LP Vault will not be open yet. I can't remember or accurately type 4k6h7j8d84j6lk7l8l99l every time I need to use the Chromebook. How do I avoid using a weak password to unlock the screen?
You can access your vault from your phone so you don't need to remember the password, but that doesn't solve the problem of having to type it or if you don't have your phone. It is also certainly possible to make a strong (as conventionally defined which might be wrong) password that's easier to remember. TyL3rDav!$ is an example but I wouldn't recommend that one. How about B0g!3Head

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm

I use Smart Lock on my android phone to log on to my Chromebook, use a YubiKey as security on my Google account.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

TylerDavis wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm
There is a small subsets of passwords I need to share/sync with my wife. Do I need a Shared Folder to do that, or is there another way? Is this a Premium feature? I also see something called LastPass Families - is that an additional fee beyond Premium?
My wife and I use LastPass families. We've loved it so far. It's double the price of a premium account ($48/year vs $24/year) but you get up to 6 licenses vs only 1 on premium. So it costs the same as two premium accounts, and we might throw siblings on to further split the cost.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm
I use Smart Lock on my android phone to log on to my Chromebook, use a YubiKey as security on my Google account.
How do you like using YubiKey? Don't you have to physically insert the key and put the button every-time you access your account? Do you find this inconvenient?

I"m thinking of getting one because Vanguard supports it, and it's better than SMS-message based 2FA... trying to make up my mind. I wish Vanguard supported authenticator apps.